• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dualshock 4 Vs. Nintendo Switch Pro Controller as a PC gaming controller

I find that to be highly over exaggerated. I can play fighting games on the Xbox One S d-pad just fine.

How? My Xbox One dpad randomly mistakes inputs, and the general "clicky" feel of it doesn't lend itself well to rolling motions.

Did they change the dpads halfway through the cycle or did I simply receive a busted controller with my console?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
purchased a wired Nintendo Switch Pro controller for $19.99 with some Christmas Gamestop credit. i've been using it for Bayonetta on Switch and decided to try it out w my PC as it has a USB plug. plugged it in and configured it through Steam and it worked instantly and with no problem! i just played MGSV using this controller and it was smooth and very nice to play with. i like the way the trigger buttons are sort of concave, and LT & RT both stick out. the - and + buttons are a little awkwardly positioned, and sometimes i hit them by accident, but as i get used to the controller im sure that will be less of a problem.

Last edited:

spacedublin

Neo Member
i just use my dualshocks, been playing ps consoles forever so im comfortable using a dualshock, battery life is complete garbage though but with the ds4windows program it works on pretty much every game and emulator out there and the program uses basically no resources on the pc. I use it bluetooth or wired, usually wired (bought 3ft and 10ft cables so i can pretty much sit anywhere i want if i decide to play on a tv). Some games have native ds4 support but xbox game pad is probably the universal go-to for built-in support.
I would just go with what you think is comfortable to play with.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'm happy with the Dual Shock 4 the last couple years or so, I replaced a 360 pad with it since I didn't like the build quality of those, the sticks ended up not recentering properly and drifting and requiring large deadzones set, DS4 has been fine with zero or very very close to that deadzoning in game settings. I don't have a PS4 and just bought the controller for PC, it's fine with DS4Windows faking a 360/Xbone pad to games/interfaces but it can be even better if you configure Steam properly for it as a DS4 and customize settings etc., I just haven't bothered since there aren't any games with ONLY DS4 support so this Xbox like setup DS4Windows emulates makes it work across the board as expected. And on the off chance a game does only support DS4 or other retro controllers if it's an old game, just shutting down DS4Windows works. I always consider a Hori Fighting Commander for retro gaming and fighters on top, but then end up putting the money towards other stuff instead, most recently an Oculus Rift. Ah, if money was infinite...

Last edited:

BlackTron

I still mainly use the 360 controller. Not only is it a favorite of mine, but most modern games with controller support treat it as the "default" controller with on-screen buttons matching up and the like. Plus you can connect up to 4 of them with a single official wireless dongle.

There's nothing particularly wrong about the Xbox One pad, I just like the 360 one better still. Either one I think makes a fine PC controller with no frills.

I use the Wii U Pro Controller sometimes, especially if I'm emulating an SNES game. It has a great d-pad and the button names match the SNES. There is a mayflash USB wireless dongle with a physical switch to change between direct and xinput, quite handy. Another reason I use it is that sometimes I *want* digital triggers, because a lot of games I'm playing are twitch arena combat or fighters. In Towerfall, the analog triggers on 360 are a nuisance.

That last point is why the Switch Pro Controller is actually my favorite controller of all time. I used it on PC for awhile, but it became a pain switching it between PC and Switch, plus afore-mentioned button names. And I'm playing more games I had on PC on Switch now, like Towerfall and FighterZ.

I don't like Playstation controllers. Never have, but DS4 is the least-bad.

TLDR: Get an Xbox controller. Fill in with WiiU/Switch controllers depending on the game and whether it calls for digital triggers or not.

Last edited:
How? My Xbox One dpad randomly mistakes inputs, and the general "clicky" feel of it doesn't lend itself well to rolling motions.

Did they change the dpads halfway through the cycle or did I simply receive a busted controller with my console?

How old is your Xbone controller? Early model controllers were registering multiple inputs for a single input, I think it was a software issue, but I'm not 100% sure of that. I haven't experienced that issue in a long time since replacing my original controllers so I thought the issue had been fixed.

The Xbone controller, expecially the newest models, are my favorite controllers. Setup on PC is super fast. I prefer offset layout. The triggers and revised bumpers are the best out there, rolling my fingers up on the bumpers while using the triggers feels really good. There is a raised pivot in the center of the Xbone D-pad, you literally can't mistake up/down or left/right inputs, you can only hit one direction at a time, either a straight press or a diagonal press. The newest model controllers dialed back on the clicky feel a bit, though I actually like the click as there is no mistake that you a press occurred as there is tactile feedback thanks to that click. To me it's like the feedback from an 8-way arcade joystick. For fighting games it's the first controller I'd use. My biggest gripes with the Xbone controller are the micro-USB port which is weak and prone to damage (it should use a USB C connection by now) and the analog stick modules are still pretty cheap and prone to crawl. But all the controllers use the same, or at least similar modules minus the Joycons in the Switch. I bought an Eneloop charger and a set of batteries a long time ago and have been rotating them ever since, so I've never had an issue with charge duration.

The Switch Pro controller is lacking the pivot in the D-pad, so you can push down on the entire D-pad accidentally actuating any or all four inputs underneath. Other than Mario Odyssey and ARMS I've played through pretty much every game on my Switch with the Pro Controller. The D-Pad is pretty awful for a Nintendo d-pad. People mod the D-pad's backside to include a pivot to prevent it. I haven't done mine yet, but plan to. I got annoyed a few times playing BotW and Xenoblade 2. I rock D-pads from he center so when navigating menus or choosing blades the whole pad would sink and mess things up. Playing some of the fighters on the Switch I found the same issue. Battery life is great and USB C charging ports are nice to have in the odd chance I can play as long as the battery life.

The PS controllers are my least favorite of the OEM controllers. Segmented d-pads are my least favorite type, while the DS4 pad is mechanically fine, it's not comfortable for me. Since I rock D-pads I end up with an X on my thumb after playing games that use the D-pad a lot. Replacing the Dual Shock was the first thing I did with my PS3. The DS4 pad bought for my PS3 later on almost never sees use as I don't care for the stick placement, the spongy triggers or the segmented pad, and the battery life is too short.

Last edited:

Fake

DS4 over Switch pro without question. I just can't say the same about Xbox One Elite controller. People being saying the Xbox elite was pretty good on pc.
For me and all my needs on PC the dualshock 4 was being the superior. I even drop the Xbox 360 controller.

Outrunner

I prefer the Switch Pro Controller, DPad problem was solved later and I don't like the joysticks next to each other on the DS4.

I use Xbox One and Switch Pro Controller. If I need analog sticks I take the Xbox one controller. But damn that switch pro controller is comfy. And has crazy battery life.

Last edited:

Codes 208

people that like the xbox controllers obviously don't play fighting games, because microsoft dpads are the fucking worse. Also, the design and rainbow color buttons are so lame
False. I play plenty of of FighterZ on Xbox with no issues. The Xbox controller just feels better for precise movement in third and first person perspective-based 3d games overall. (Though I do prefer the ds4 for 2d games)

And what exactly is wrong with the xbox’s Dpad? It’s click-based and much more solid than the 360’s disk-based dpad which was definitely garbage in comparison.

As for buttons, thats the dumbest argument I’ve ever read. At least MS is sticking with a known system. ABXY axis is a much more understandable system than sonys shapes just to be different.

MastAndo

You'll never get me to agree that symmetrical analog sticks are ideal, so I'll go with the Pro controller, though I do think an Xbox controller is the prime choice for PC gaming.

Top Bottom