• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edzi

0-2, but they were close. Lost the first to a Birdie and the second to Balrog. Made a lot of execution errors and played super sloppy, but that's to be expected.

The tournament itself is interesting, they clearly didn't expect so many people to show up so it's super crowded and there aren't any casual stations. On top of that, the TO is just yelling over the crowd to call up players.

0-2, but they were close. Lost the first to a Birdie and the second to Balrog. Made a lot of execution errors, but that's to be expected.

The tournament itself is interesting, they clearly didn't expect so many people to show up so it's super crowded and there aren't any casual stations. On top of that, the TO is just yelling over the crowd to call up players.
The important thing is to have fun and socialize. Try talking to the players you fought against, and discuss the match.

Edzi

The important thing is to have fun and socialize. Try talking to the players you fought against, and discuss the match.

Yeah, had a good time chatting with people, but decided to head out early after I was eliminated because of the crowd/no casual stations.

Blueblur1

0-2, but they were close. Lost the first to a Birdie and the second to Balrog. Made a lot of execution errors and played super sloppy, but that's to be expected.

Sounds like a monthly. It was the same over here in Orlando. I went 0-2, too so don't feel bad. I'm a Super Bronze but I went anyway and had a good time.

Xeteh

I know I'm bad at the game but getting matched up against a "bronze" player with 26 wins is pretty not fun. I already have to force myself to queue up but this shit just makes me want to stop. Crazy how people who aren't even bronze never drop a single combo ever... so fun. Smurfs are the best. I really feel like I'm learning when I don't get to press a button.

Pachinko

If the beta is any indication, laggy matches will continue to be a thing.

I can attest to this ... hoo boy did I get a winner today. Constant teleporting mixed with a full second of input lag AND about 20 frames of rollback anytime something connected .... for both entire rounds. I really wish this game just had a quit button.

In other news, I think I've determined my current character rankings , this is like a personal tier list of "interest". A implies I really want to learn a lot more and get much better, B implies I have something to learn but I'm a bit less interested in doing so, C implies that I'm bored with that character or don't care to learn more and D are characters I'm just not interested in at all for one reason or another. F is for Fang which doesn't need an explanation.

A - R.Mika - despite owning the game since launch and participating for a couple of hours in each beta back in 2015 I never spent as much time with her as I really wanted to and I think the next character I spend time with will be Mika... in spite of all the people that really truly hate her on this forum I still think she looks fun.

A - Karin - I've said this before but I love her play style, it's just the execution is very demanding and while I can actually do some of that stuff in training I'm no where near where I want to be with her. Which is to say I still can't reliably do the launcher and catch with the shoulder. That shit is hype!

A - Juri - I've spent quite a bit of time with her in this current beta but also the regular game in the last couple months and I find her playstyle pretty fun but I need to vastly improve my use of her buttons and spacing and .. I want to do that. Very satisfying to land all 3 of her kick attacks in a combo or tricking someone with her vskill.

B listers - Chun Li , Nash , Rashid , Guile, Cammy, Laura

C listers - Ryu, Birdie, Balrog, Dhalsim , Kolin , Necalli , Ibuki

D listers - Ken, Bison, Vega, Zangief , Alex, Urien , Akuma

F listers - Fang (sorry lucebuce)

I'm still very much a scrub (hanging out in bronze CFN - PCh1nko)... I honestly get more invested in making lists like this and getting hyped or down on the game then I spend playing it sometimes but I have a path on where I want to go next and her name is Rainbow Mika.

In other news my Alex playing friend (CFN - justletmeplay) finally got into silver which is where I've long felt he belonged but he loses mind games with himself constantly. Mostly I'm happy he did it with Alex despite his griping the last couple months. Happy to see the patch notes have "fixed" the character enough to make him just a bit better too.

I also just found out today that VesperArcade is local to my city and upon thinking back, I've actually seen him at the local FGC meetup a couple times ... I guess that's kind of neat right ? I need to head back there soon , I've improved and will probably still go 0-2 for their weekly ranbat tourny but it's still fun to get out and play with other people instead of suffering the whims of netplay.

F listers - Fang.
OOvKF3b.gif

myco666

We are getting new Ryu and Chun costumes? Capcom please. Really don't get why Capcom doesn't even try to get equal amount of costumes for each character.

We are getting new Ryu and Chun costumes? Capcom please. Really don't get why Capcom doesn't even try to get equal amount of costumes for each character.

Well you have to look at the return on their investment.

Putting out a shitty costume for Ken = Easy money since everyone plays Ken and they like garbage things.

Putting out a costume for one of the lovely ladies = Easy money since everyone loves lovely ladies.

Putting out a costume for FANG or Birdie = No money since no one plays those characters.
I'm sure there is someone out there that hasn't deleted SFV from their HDD that would be really salty about FANG being low rated.

We'll never know, though.
Also I'd like to announce my formal return to SF5, once the patch drops. The low tier army shall rise again
only to be vanquished hastily

Plzno.

I like to talk shit, I don't want to have to try to defend it.
It's ok, what with us being on opposite sides of the world we can't play anyway.

I honestly would like to come back to FANG, that character in S1 just clicked with me in a way no other character has.

Varied moveset, mobility, wackiness and perhaps the best thing about him is that I can dictate the pace of the match instead of always having to follow what the opponent is doing. FANG is one of the few characters in this game that can actually turn the tables on Guile and tire out Guile players by zoning him out constantly. Or inversely get in and keep at him.

Had a dream a few nights ago that I was stuck in some dark hallway and someone kept yelling "TAKE THE POISON", I SHIT YOU NOT.

Spuck-uk

Banned
The lag isn't going to go away. Unless it's the servers being shit, you can't stop people on garbage connections.The best that any developer can do is make sure their servers are on point.

They could do what KI does and have good netcode. At the very least the one sided rollback needs to go away.

myco666

Well you have to look at the return on their investment.

Putting out a shitty costume for Ken = Easy money since everyone plays Ken and they like garbage things.

Putting out a costume for one of the lovely ladies = Easy money since everyone loves lovely ladies.

Putting out a costume for FANG or Birdie = No money since no one plays those characters.

Sure but didn't SFIV have pretty much equal amount of costumes for each character? Like I don't mind that certain characters have more costumes but don't Chun and Ryu already have like 4 costumes more than Birdie and Fang for example?

Decided to try alex out last night.... He seems a lot of fun despite his low tierness. Might have to play with him more.

Its odd. Im stuck in this place where i play best with guile by quite a bit. He seems to click with me in that i never really have to think about how to do any of his stuff just what to do.its been this way since his release. However there are characters like mika who i think are a lot more fun to play with but i struggle to play well with.

Saying this alex seems to have so.e stuff i really like. Long range normals. Mobility from some of his specials. That kinda crazy v-trigger. Maybe he could work for me.

No doubt i will end up back at guile in a few days lol. I just don't get that much satisfaction from winning with guile and i dont know why.

Sure but didn't SFIV have pretty much equal amount of costumes for each character? Like I don't mind that certain characters have more costumes but don't Chun and Ryu already have like 4 costumes more than Birdie and Fang for example?
Yes, but that game wasn't being handled on a shoestring budget. It's taken them over a year to fix their servers, clearly they have to be incredibly careful where they allocate money for costumes and cosmetic DLC so it would make sense that they'd target the more popular characters.

Even Alex, as garbage as he is, is fairly popular in this game.

So...return of the FANG avatar?
lol no, I don't need that lanky fuck to be my representative. Dr. Pamela Isley does a much better job.

I may like the character, I still don't like the game.

Xeteh

Yes, but that game wasn't being handled on a shoestring budget. It's taken them over a year to fix their servers, clearly they have to be incredibly careful where they allocate money for costumes and cosmetic DLC so it would make sense that they'd target the more popular characters.

lol no, I don't need that lanky fuck to be my representative. Dr. Pamela Isley does a much better job.

I may like the character, I still don't like the game.

When Injustice 2 is out we'll have to try to play, I'll be there sporting my Harley flag without question.

Ivy?

tenor.gif

You doubling down on Injustice?
Yup. I loved Injustice 1 but it clearly had it's problems.

Injustice 2 is fixing literally every single on those problems. Pace of the game is better, better movement options, tools to counter zoning, more varied playstyles, fantastic visuals, COLOUR (JESUS CHRIST IJ1 had no colour), faces look terrific, buttloads of customization, lots of DLC characters, robust online and FANTASTIC netcode.

I've played MKXL's new netcode, it's up there with Killer Instinct and Skullgirls as one of the best. The beta was also terrific, SonicFox played matches with Foxy Grandpa from the UK and they said that the match felt very smooth.

When Injustice 2 is out we'll have to try to play, I'll be there sporting my Harley flag without question.
Might be a bit too much even for that netcode, but I'm certainly willing to give it a try!

I still have swimsuit concepts for all the dudes, including FANG and Birdie if Capcom wants them. Just like do something, damn.

(Will buy Bancho Ryu.)

myco666

But Chun is bottom five in usage last month lol. But I guess you are right. Still sucks though.

Village

FANG is dope as hell and better than Rufus in every way.

Being better than rufus isn't hard, that's why he's 2.0. They improved on the previous model.

Being worse than rufus is a challenge, don't know how ingrid does it.

You win this time red hood.

Fun fact, I have to remake this sprite and all my other sprite avatars at some point because my old laptop died and had my sprites on it. Saved all my forreal art work, forgot to save my sprites

Being better than rufus isn't hard, that's why he's 2.0. They improved on the previous model.

Being worse than rufus is a challenge, don't know how ingrid does it.
Rufus is a shitty design, FANG is not.
Fun fact, I have to remake this sprite and all my other sprite avatars at some point because my old laptop died and had my sprites on it. Saved all my forreal art work, forgot to save my sprites
Wow, you made that yourself? That's pretty good. Which other characters did you make sprites for?

But Chun is bottom five in usage last month lol. But I guess you are right. Still sucks though.
Well not everything Capcom does necessarily has to make sense.

Village

Rufus is a shitty design, FANG is not.

I legitimately enjoy fangs design and if he wasn't weird to play would actualy play him.

Wow, you made that yourself? That's pretty good. Which other characters did you make spries for?

A boo character
A few offical sonic characters
Lobo, Yellow lantern superman, Yellow lantern batman, red lanter super girl, Martian manhunter
Blade, Dr. Doom, Miles Spiderman,
A halfway made necalli, a halfway made q
Ashley and young cricket from wario ware

All gone, I think i'm just gonna redo and finish the ones I really like and mostly work on knew ones. Spritinng is fun, its like an art puzzle.

A boo character
A few offical sonic characters
Lobo, Yellow lantern superman, Yellow lantern batman, red lanter super girl, Martian manhunter
Blade, Dr. Doom, Miles Spiderman,
A halfway made necalli, a halfway made q
Ashley and young cricket from wario ware

All gone, I think i'm just gonna redo and finish the ones I really like and mostly work on knew ones. Spritinng is fun, its like an art puzzle.
That sucks that it's gone :(

Would've loved to have seen that Super Girl and Dr.Doom sprites.

EDIT: You might have already seen it, but this artist made some awesome sprites of SF5 characters. It's where I got my former avatar.

necalli__street_fighter_v__by_rieytails-d9xq3bv.png
necalli_alternate_form__street_fighter_v__by_rieytails-d9xq3bd.png

MCD250

Chun having 8 million costumes probably has something to do with someone at Capcom having a thing for her.

I remember getting kind of a "Barbie doll dress-up" vibe from that picture where they showed a bunch of alternate costume designs for her.

October:
Chun @ 9th place
Alex @ 11th place

November:
Chun @ 12th place
Alex @ 13th place

December:
Alex @ 13th place
Chun @ 17th place

Now Alex is at 14th place and Chun @ 19th in bottom five. Even at her strongest in season one she was still only a bit more popular than Alex who has so far been a perma bottom five in this game's life. Capcom really needs to go back to doing bundles. I'd get costumes for Gief or Birdie if they came with good ones for Ibuki or Karin. The zeroing in on specific characters constantly must be like trying to squeeze blood from a stone after a while. Birdie and Fang players also spent $60 on the game after all.
Chun having 8 million costumes probably has something to do with someone at Capcom having a thing for her.

I remember getting kind of a "Barbie doll dress-up" vibe from that picture where they showed a bunch of alternate costume designs for her.
Definitely this

Finally got around to trying out the CFN beta, it was a nice step forward. Just the flags working in lobbies is fantastic, and the connection indicators also seem a lot more reliable (as in, they actually show up). I don't think I waited more than a minute between people leaving and a new person joining my lobby. And loading times felt much better, even though I forgot to add the FASTLOAD mod. I didn't play enough people to really compare connections, though, but everything was fine except for one person with 3 bars.

Does anyone know what the difference between "friends" and "favorites" are?

Ucchedavāda;233209676 said:
Finally got around to trying out the CFN beta, it was a nice step forward. Just the flags working in lobbies is fantastic, and the connection indicators also seem a lot more reliable (as in, they actually show up). I don't think I waited more than a minute between people leaving and a new person joining my lobby. And loading times felt much better, even though I forgot to add the FASTLOAD mod. I didn't play enough people to really compare connections, though, but everything was fine except for one person with 3 bars.

Does anyone know what the difference between "friends" and "favorites" are?

Favorites, to me, seem like just saving favorite CFN profiles so that you can always go back to them and check their profile and replays. The other person doesn't know you have them in your favorites.

Friends is kinda the same but there is a live-feed of what your friends are currently doing. Such as where you can see either the match location or the players location, not quite sure, who they are playing against, what mode they are playing, and whether they've been winning or losing.

Haven't really delved too deep into it so there could be more to it.

Favorites, to me, seem like just saving favorite CFN profiles so that you can always go back to them and check their profile and replays. The other person doesn't know you have them in your favorites.

Friends is kinda the same but there is a live-feed of what your friends are currently doing. Such as where you can see either the match location or the players location, not quite sure, who they are playing against, what mode they are playing, and whether they've been winning or losing.

Haven't really delved too deep into it so there could be more to it.

I am seeing both friends and favorites in live-feed.

However, it looks like you now have options to allow invites from "Everyone", "CFN Friends of a CFN Friends", "CFN Friends Only", and "No One". And you can limit friend-requests to "Up to a CFN Friend of a CFN Friend", "Everyone", and "No One". The language is a bit odd, but I assume they just mean friends, or friends and friends of friends, depending on the setting.

The lack of salty messages really makes online less fun. We need a better way to share the salt.
I honestly just want a way to send my opponent a thumbs-up after a good match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom