• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Indie Game Development Thread 2: High Res Work for Low Res Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

missile

Some more stuff.

5ZqVqMt.gif

EXGCJQN.gif

foJtU7C.gif

Getting better, but I think I can improve on the pixel pattern a bit more
to get some finer shades. However, as larger the rendering resolution get
as better the shades become because of the increased pixel estate for
approximating shades (integrals).

Edit: For the sake of completeness. Emitting sphere under varying
background illumination;
7Ki2ip1.gif

(no distance attenuation)

Klart

So is anyone here planning/trying to make a classic style beat 'm up (like Streets of Rage or Final Fight)? I think the indie world is severely lacking those.

Jobbs

Banned
So is anyone here planning/trying to make a classic style beat 'm up (like Streets of Rage or Final Fight)? I think the indie world is severely lacking those.

I think it's lacking them because it's too niche and limited. That style of beatemup doesn't have a wide appeal and it's hard to make them mechanically interesting.

Klart

I think it's lacking them because it's too niche and limited. That style of beatemup doesn't have a wide appeal and it's hard to make them mechanically interesting.

That it's niche/no wide appeal shouldn't be a problem for an indie, no? I think it's appeal is not that limited, seeing that most gamers are in their thirties and the beat'm up was the FPS of the early nineties. They can get rather repetitive, that's true, but the mechanics of a game like SoR 2 are still working for me. A creative/versatile/wide array of moves is not that hard.

Jobbs

Banned
That it's niche/no wide appeal shouldn't be a problem for an indie, no? I think it's appeal is not that limited, seeing that most gamers are in their thirties and the beat'm up was the FPS of the early nineties. They can get rather repetitive, that's true, but the mechanics of a game like SoR 2 are still working for me. A creative/versatile/wide array of moves is not that hard.

You see them occasionally as passion projects or experiments, but mostly I think this is a dead end sales-wise. If you want to do something and have it be worthwhile it seems like a very risky move. Even if it was incredibly well done I can see it being easily overlooked.

You'd be better off making a Metroid looking game :eek:

Tain

Being based on having a bunch of different large animated humans, each with a moveset that involves manually-animated hitboxes, I think there's a higher minimum bar (so to speak) for this genre than something like a platformer or a 2D shooter.

The genre still rules, of course. You need tension and difficulty to give the basic mechanics a lot of meaning though, so I can only get into the arcade-styled games (don't like Castle Crashers, Scott Pilgrim, etc).

Didn't we just have two indie Beat-Em-Ups released last month or so?

Anyway, right now, I'm stuck in a rut between whether or not to focus on creating even more complex AI interactions (IE, combatant NPCs stopping to salute an officer of the same faction when not in combat, rallying around an officer to form search parties, and noncombatants fleeing for their lives whenever a gun is drawn or any signs of combat happen around them) or expanding the player's moveset. I mean, shit, I need to do both if REDFOXES is to be a competent Immersive Sim, but I've been getting nowhere alternating between the two and I've been meaning to start working on DX1/VTMB-like active-abilities for like a week now.

That and coming up with a way to reward nonlethal approaches without pulling a Dishonored and punishing the player for exterminating every enemy of the Kaiser that standing between the player and their objective, nor reducing the Nonlethal reward to a mere congratulatory line of dialog like Paul Denton was fond of.

Pehesse

Meanwhile, in a world with 60-frame idles:

AmbitiousNaughtyFrilledlizard.gif

(actually a combination of 8+26+8+11+8, which accounts for the few skips here and there - it ain't perfect, but for now it'll have to do)

LordKasual

Banned
Didn't we just have two indie Beat-Em-Ups released last month or so?

Anyway, right now, I'm stuck in a rut between whether or not to focus on creating even more complex AI interactions (IE, combatant NPCs stopping to salute an officer of the same faction when not in combat, rallying around an officer to form search parties, and noncombatants fleeing for their lives whenever a gun is drawn or any signs of combat happen around them) or expanding the player's moveset. I mean, shit, I need to do both if REDFOXES is to be a competent Immersive Sim, but I've been getting nowhere alternating between the two and I've been meaning to start working on DX1/VTMB-like active-abilities for like a week now.

That and coming up with a way to reward nonlethal approaches without pulling a Dishonored and punishing the player for exterminating every enemy of the Kaiser that standing between the player and their objective, nor reducing the Nonlethal reward to a mere congratulatory line of dialog like Paul Denton was fond of.

I'm having the same dilemma at the moment. I originally wanted the intelligent enemies to fight with a sense of self preservation. But in doing so, i feel like i'm just bloating their activity, when simply increasing their numbers / making them relentlessly attack you is far more challenging and engaging.

non-fatal encounters is also an issue for me, because implementing it as a significant mechanic would be pressing a playstyle that is opposite of the main draw of the game. I don't want the player to have to stress over how much damage they deal or not using their earned abilities out of fear of ruining their progress or something.

River City Ransom: Underground just came out, actually - http://store.steampowered.com/app/422810/

And I noticed this one in development, looking neat: Exit Limbo - http://virtualcraftstudio.tumblr.com/ which is very much based on Streets of Rage 2.

I think indies tend to shy away from proper Capcom style beat-em-ups because they're actually quite difficult to make. Command input buffering, framedata for moves, balance, all have to be very high quality or it won't read right in gameplay.

wwm0nkey

So I am finally making progress on a project (again, FINALLY)

Making a Rhythem FPS is actually super fun and interesting but I am not focusing on the visual aspect at all this time, I am just getting something that works and then going from there. But so far everything does what I want it to. Lights change on offsets, enemies spawn every 8th beat and there are a few prototype things I still need to work on, but its coming together fast. Once my artist is free and we make a level I hope to share it.

_Rob_

Meanwhile, in a world with 60-frame idles:
*snip*
(actually a combination of 8+26+8+11+8, which accounts for the few skips here and there - it ain't perfect, but for now it'll have to do)

I love all the subtle hand movements, really adds life to her!

missile

So here is the naked truth as of now...
(view at 1:1 and from a distance)

(emitting sphere)
317105_1screenshot.png

(lambertian sphere)
622039_1screenshot.png

832188_1screenshot.png

Due to the special pixel pattern the eye starts to integrate the pixels much
more easily from a distance forming continuous shades. It would takes ages to
compute a similar quality using either my quadrature hemisphere integrator or
Monte Carlo random sampling (requiring many samples per pixel before the eye
actually starts any spatial integration). The rendering time for one image
here is less than a second (not optimized).

Pehesse

I love all the subtle hand movements, really adds life to her!

Haha, thanks - I'll admit, they were fun to do, but also probably one of the hardest parts, I'm glad it's done now :-D

great to see you still working on this!

'course I do! Anything else I might be doing is training for this :-D (and in truth, I'm waiting for news on the other front, so for now, it's still 100% Pacha time!)

So you want to pwn OT2, do you? ;)

Eh, not sure what you mean? Is the gif too large?

I'm having the same dilemma at the moment. I originally wanted the intelligent enemies to fight with a sense of self preservation. But in doing so, i feel like i'm just bloating their activity, when simply increasing their numbers / making them relentlessly attack you is far more challenging and engaging.

non-fatal encounters is also an issue for me, because implementing it as a significant mechanic would be pressing a playstyle that is opposite of the main draw of the game. I don't want the player to have to stress over how much damage they deal or not using their earned abilities out of fear of ruining their progress or something.

Ohohoho, do I have a worthy rival in the indie Immersive Sim space?

Though as far as REDFOXES' nonlethal options go... There is no Non-Lethal combat. If you enter combat, you enter combat to kill. Intentional, of course - To avoid the "tranq everyone" approach that became dominant in Square Enix-era Deus Ex and 3D Metal Gear games. The only nonlethal approach is to not get into fights in the first place, or break engagement if you do. Though of course there are flashbangs and stun grenades, but those are loud and best used for fleeing rather than stealth.

Yeah the idea was to concentrate the baking onto a much smaller area to speed up the process (according to my tutorial). Is it enough to make the sun movable to make it dynamic?

Is the size of the landscape relevant for framerate? My card is old but my last endeavour in Unreal 4 wasn't this bad. I'm currently barely reaching 50 fps with said landscape and the default objects at low settings :lol

If you want to ditch light baking entirely you should set every light to movable, turn on "ForceNoPrecomputedLighting" in world settings, and possibly disable "use static lighting" in project settings.

LordKasual

Banned
Ohohoho, do I have a worthy rival in the indie Immersive Sim space?

Though as far as REDFOXES' nonlethal options go... There is no Non-Lethal combat. If you enter combat, you enter combat to kill. Intentional, of course - To avoid the "tranq everyone" approach that became dominant in Square Enix-era Deus Ex and 3D Metal Gear games. The only nonlethal approach is to not get into fights in the first place, or break engagement if you do. Though of course there are flashbangs and stun grenades, but those are loud and best used for fleeing rather than stealth.

Not at all, i'm developing a 2D action game lol. Some elements of gameplay / story are linked to your performance in the missions though. And most importantly, i'm designing enemy types to scale in difficulty by interacting with one another during combat, which is why I struggle with how complex I intend for the AI interactions to be. As for non-lethal progression through the levels...My original idea for controlling difficulty in this game was going to be through how many successful kills you got during the missions. Not bypassing encounters (specifically difficult ones) would cause the enemy to re-assess your threat level, making proceeding stages more difficult. Some enemy groups will stop trying to kill you if they witness you take out the strongest enemy in the encounter first. Some enemy types will flee if you use a certain spell / weapon / ability on them, or if your damage exceeds a threshold during combat.

The problem though is that I don't want people to approach the game as if they need a guide for it, or as if they need to guess how I want them to play to get the most challenging experience out of it...because challenging and engaging gameplay is what i'm going for first and foremost. So i'm not sure if I should just make the entire game brutally punishing (with difficulty settings) or go with the first option, which is harder to implement but a bit more interesting.

I feel like it's a bit more straightforward for you though, if we're talking armed combat. Since in those kinds of situations, i feel like soldiers only ever surrender when fighting back is completely hopeless...but allowing them to live and alert friends is never in the interest of the attackers/player. I feel like Metal Gear sidesteps this issue twofold by allowing you to sleep them, and then giving everyone convenient amnesia when they wake up.

missile

Any favorite learning resources, missile? books, articles, videos, etc.

Basically, many of the 3d programming books before the area of the (consumer)
3d graphics accelerator explosion (about 1995) are good for learning software
rendering. Many of the books and papers written before that time do explain
the principles more clearly whereas many of the modern books past 1995 til
around, say, 2005, are more about using libraries like OpenGL/DirectX to do
graphics and won't necessarily explain the principles as such. There are
exceptions, of course. It also feels like that many of the modern books want
to sell you something instead of sharing the details. It seems that oncs the
commercialization started with all the consumer 3d accelerators a lot of the
accompanying 3d literature also transformed into fast commercial products
over night (bad books).

Books you definitely should have on your table are;
Foley, van Dam: Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice in C (2nd Edition)
Rogers: Procedural Elements for Computer Graphics (2nd Edition)

The topics covered in these books are more than enough. Especially the first
one (2nd edition, not 3rd) is pretty valuable not only because of all the
details given in there, but also because of all the old references. This book
contain all the valuable references back to the pioneers of computer graphics
like Sutherland, Sproull, Newman, Warnock, Watkins, and many more. Their
papers and books you should study over time! For example, Sutherland has
written a paper on comparing 10 different rastering algorithm and marked the
difference among them by how they sort their elements. Many rastering
algorithm just differ in how they sort while rastering.

However, there are also all these misc. graphics books you can take advantage
of like the graphics programming gems series and so on.

So if you wanna go deep you better start with the hidden-line problem in
object-space. There are basically two algorithms within this regard, after
Roberts and Appel. Roberts algorithm was the first ever for doing
hidden-line. I've read his original thesis where he came up with his
algorithm at the very end of it. In the book of Rogers these algorithms are
also included with examples (Rogers always ties to give an example for
each topic presented).

Having said that I also want to give another perspective.
The above is considered old-skool these days. For example, no one is going to
implement a Cohen-Sutherland clipping algorithm any longer nor wants to
understand how it works. xD All the (cs) guys 'n gals want to display cool
graphics. Well, there is a new trend in approaching computer graphics, i.e.
the new-skool as I like to say, which is way different from the old one. The
new-skool starts right at the top with the full rendering equation expressed
in radiometric and/or photometric quantities. Given MC integration you get
something cool to see on the screen rather quickly without needing any of the
old-skool techniques (at first). However, the new-skool requires you to
understand more physical stuff up-front like for example how light really
reflects from a surface (down to Maxwell's equation at best, at least the
Fresnel relation should be understood), about energy conservation etc.. So I
see a lot of coming cs students to struggle here. For, you wanna do some cool
graphics and suddenly find yourself doing lots of physics and integration. xD
This new-skool is perhaps best seen in the new 3rd edition of the book
"Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice" where the focus has shifted
towards physical-based rendering. Makes sense, because today's computers are
fast enough and the goal is physical correct rendering, so why dealing with
all this old stuff?

Well, after having implement all this physical cool stuff you will realize
that everything becomes dead slow. How to make it fast? You will be surprised
to see that many of the fast GI approaches are based on rasterizing again. For
example, all these lightprobes, shadow-maps etc. are computed via graphics
hardware by rastering the scene multiple times. And the old-skool is
essentially about rastering. So you will end up with a mixed-hybrid rendering
like we see in today's engines. The old-skool is sort of the accelerating
backend for the new-skool, that is to say object-space rendering enhanced with
screen-space methods.

So you could equally start with the new-skool if you feel comfortable with
the physics and such and later do the rastering as needed. There are many
good books poping up everywhere about it. But it is my believe that by doing
so you won't be eager to do any rasterizing at all, because it's more
difficult to set up and also comes with a lot of restrictions you better know
in advance resp. from experience.

The new-skool is cool, do it, but the old-skool will be your Swiss Army knife!

Kamaki

Still, a blessing and a curse. Cause sometimes I do wish I had another artist also helping and another coder. Hopefully someday.
I understand, the game I'm working on was originally a three person team, Programmer, Artist and Animator. It's since dropped down to two and I've taken on the programmer role. Drives me nuts, I have no idea how to program.

If you find the last stuff pleasing, you might like the following one as well.
The lastest GI stuff is just an experiment to see how a similar technique of
mine performs, a technique I developed a couple of months ago to realize sort
of a pixelized defocusing blur;
Ie2tq8F.gif

+ lens accommodation like the human eye does;
08Bj8J8.gif
Thanks for sharing your reasons, always nice to have a better understanding of what's driving you! You say you hope it'll hopefully pay the bills and I can imagine that paying off, always seems like graphic programmers are in demand.
You're right, love seeing this. While it's clearly a realistic focal blur the low-res nature reminds me a lot of David O'Reilly's purposely unrealistic blurs in his animation.
kjXH5tu.jpg

I don't know what I'm saying. I like it. Thumbs Up.

Don't have a lot to say, just wanted to quote and throw a compliment your way.

U1xBKBs.jpg

That's one hot frame, love a good hair flick!

Pehesse

That's one hot frame, love a good hair flick!

Agghh what are you doing this frame with the huge oversized head only works to sell the head/hair flip back motion, when taken out of context it hurts :-D :-D

(But more seriously, I'm always kind of stuck in between wanting to do more extreme squash and stretch stuff with extreeeeme deformation/size adjustments, and the need to have every frame be "visually passable" if it just so happens to be the one held during a screenshot, or something... not sure if there's even a good balance to strike there, but I'll try it all the same!)

Still, thanks :-D

On the topic of freeze framing an animation, here's what's currently on my screen (or what was on it a few minutes ago):
c71c685f663ef1c7aa6b80daa334aba1.jpg

Depending on your angle, it's either "ooh this is how the magic happens" or "what the fuck is this shit" (I'm leaning towards the latter)
(and yes the blue line is supposed to be my rough line for the current frame in darkest - *slightly* off the mark, there)

missile

... Thanks for sharing your reasons, always nice to have a better understanding of what's driving you! You say you hope it'll hopefully pay the bills and I can imagine that paying off, always seems like graphic programmers are in demand. ...
My issue with corporate graphics programming is that I don't want to repeat
what's already there for the umpteenth time. I like to diverge and you need
some room for doing so.

... You're right, love seeing this. While it's clearly a realistic focal blur ...
Can you see, this blur works without any blending. It can be used with low bit
palettized colors as well.

... the low-res nature reminds me a lot of David O'Reilly's purposely unrealistic blurs in his animation.

kjXH5tu.jpg

I don't know what I'm saying. I like it. Thumbs Up. ...

Didn't knew someone actually use that kind of blur in a game. I've built
exactly the same thing but it doesn't look cool with colors (uneasy). I tried
to make it more pleasing to look at by actually shifting the displaced image
according to a 2d sobol sequence, which improves the result but wasn't what I
was looking for. Anyhow, cool to see someone use it in a game.

Camp
... "what the fuck is this shit" ...

Minamu

I ended up not getting my design intern position I had been working towards. Great opportunity though, and the test was rewarding to complete. It's pretty clear what I need to work on (visual programming primarily). Couldn't be happier actually :D

The company had some really cool secret projects in the pipeline but I wouldn't've been able to move to another continent for 6+ months with no salary, pretty self-explanatory imho. Would've loved to do it though, had it been possible.

That said, are there any good tutorials out there for Unreal 4's Blueprint system? The course I bought on Udemy is mostly pure programming, which is probably better, but still.

Popstar

Books you definitely should have on your table are;
Foley, van Dam: Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice in C (2nd Edition)
Rogers: Procedural Elements for Computer Graphics (2nd Edition)
Since we're talking about graphics programming books it might be good to mention that Andrew Glassner's theory-heavy two-volume Principles of Digital Image Synthesis is available as a free download. (link to PDF hosted by Real-Time Rendering)

Makai

Love the Graphics Gems covers.

I'll definitely go down the old-school path. Less interested in effects that are usually advertised features of game engines (GI, DOF, etc). Probably the furthest I'll go for now is something like Dactyl Nightmare. I don't have a good scale for what's possible with realtime software rendering yet, but a VR renderer is a good longterm project - redo of the basic hardware version I made last year.

missile

Since we're talking about graphics programming books it might be good to mention that Andrew Glassner's theory-heavy two-volume Principles of Digital Image Synthesis is available as a free download. (link to PDF hosted by Real-Time Rendering)
Yeah, these books are wonderful.

Love the Graphics Gems covers.

I'll definitely go down the old-school path. Less interested in effects that are usually advertised features of game engines (GI, DOF, etc). Probably the furthest I'll go for now is something like Dactyl Nightmare. I don't have a good scale for what's possible with realtime software rendering yet, but a VR renderer is a good longterm project - redo of the basic hardware version I made last year.
Good. So how are you going to start?

I started working as a games user researcher recently, for a company based on Brighton, England. If any of you guys wanted a sort of quick and dirty look at your games user experience (tutorialling, information architecture, interface flow, general usability) then I'd be happy to spend a little of my time highlighting issues and suggesting potential means in which they can be resolved.

It can be especially helpful in addressing components of the first time user experience in particular, ensuring information is clearly conveyed, and avoiding leaving the player confused by interfaces, mechanics and their interactions.

Any insight I provide would be my own, and not affiliated with the company I work for. It could be published here on GAF, to help other developers in the thread think a little about the user experience, or it could be private (but it's more fun to help others).

Made a new YouTube video showcasing the new locations in Light Fairytale I've been working on recently:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NaAiutdoSY

I love the looks of this game. Great art style and atmosphere! I will say that I'm not crazy about the text/dialogue boxes though. Something about them just seems out of place when overlaid on top of the 3d rendered art. Just my opinion though, so take it for what it's worth. Either way, very impressive and keep up the great work!

MomoQca

Hey y'all! I've been following this thread for over two years, but not once have I ever posted in this thread. It's time to change that. Hehe. Btw, sorry for my terrible English. It is not my primary language.

Anyway, every single person's work in here is incredibly awe-inspiring. I'm sure it is a highly rewarding experience and even if your project doesn't go as planned, there's gotta be a valuable lesson to learn from it.

I personally would love to be a part of an indie game team--not necessarily the programming side, but more on the creative stuff. Specifically, I'm interested in doing storyboarding and animation. Sadly, I have literally ZERO experience. But like everyone here, we all have to start somewhere.

Are there any good resources for storyboarding and animation? Any comments would be greatly appreciated! Cheers! :)

Been working my ass off recently. Glad to have a few beers tonight :)

Here's a couple of gifs to show this weeks work.

destructable3.gif

Edit: I should probably dial back on the trails in the next gif.

swarm.gif

Kamaki

Agghh what are you doing this frame with the huge oversized head only works to sell the head/hair flip back motion, when taken out of context it hurts :-D :-D

(But more seriously, I'm always kind of stuck in between wanting to do more extreme squash and stretch stuff with extreeeeme deformation/size adjustments, and the need to have every frame be "visually passable" if it just so happens to be the one held during a screenshot, or something... not sure if there's even a good balance to strike there, but I'll try it all the same!)
Oh I think it's great, I was always taught that you should go big or go home when it comes to animation. People only think they wants subtle!
I focused on 3D animation and not 2D but your work makes a lot of sense to me, always neato to peak behind the curtain.

Didn't knew someone actually use that kind of blur in a game. I've built
exactly the same thing but it doesn't look cool with colors (uneasy). I tried
to make it more pleasing to look at by actually shifting the displaced image
according to a 2d sobol sequence, which improves the result but wasn't what I
was looking for. Anyhow, cool to see someone use it in a game.
Ahh well actually that's from a movie, it would be super cool to see in a game though and like I said due to the low res nature of your work it reminds me of it.

I ended up not getting my design intern position I had been working towards. Great opportunity though, and the test was rewarding to complete. It's pretty clear what I need to work on (visual programming primarily). Couldn't be happier actually :D
Sorry to hear that but you seem to be taking in stride so sounds like a good experience regardless.

Made a new YouTube video showcasing the new locations in Light Fairytale I've been working on recently:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NaAiutdoSY
Saw this on twitter earlier, was this ever meant to come to Vita? I feel like at some point I remember reading that but it's understandable if it's not anymore.

I started working as a games user researcher recently, for a company based on Brighton, England. If any of you guys wanted a sort of quick and dirty look at your games user experience (tutorialling, information architecture, interface flow, general usability) then I'd be happy to spend a little of my time highlighting issues and suggesting potential means in which they can be resolved.
If this is an open offer I would love for you to give my game a whirl, not complete but getting a professional opinion on the UI, that even I consider janky, would certainly be helpful!

I personally would love to be a part of an indie game team--not necessarily the programming side, but more on the creative stuff. Specifically, I'm interested in doing storyboarding and animation. Sadly, I have literally ZERO experience. But like everyone here, we all have to start somewhere.

Are there any good resources for storyboarding and animation? Any comments would be greatly appreciated! Cheers! :)
Hello and welcome :) So you have zero experience in storyboarding and animation? IMO those are pretty wide categories, e.g. 2D, 3D, Character, Motion animation etc. I feel like it would be a good idea to come up with or find a goal that you would like to work towards. Then it would be easier to dish out advice. That's just me though.

Looking very clean and while you may have to tone down the trails we can all live knowing that they looking pretty badass right here and now ;)

Worked pretty hard on my game today. Wanted people to be able to play the first part of the game by Monday and this meant getting the first boss in amongst other QoL things. Not the flashiest but now that it's in I've got time to refine things.
LMwivit.gif

FyW0jcV.gif

Minamu

Sorry to hear that but you seem to be taking in stride so sounds like a good experience regardless.
Yeah I'm okay, I learned a lot from it so nothing truly lost. Today I got an email from another company I've applied to and they asked if I'd be interested in a Unity programming position so it's all good. Not sure why they'd ask such a question when I've applied to QA and level design, but hey, it's something! :) Currently waiting on a response to that.

Pehesse

Hey y'all! I've been following this thread for over two years, but not once have I ever posted in this thread. It's time to change that. Hehe. Btw, sorry for my terrible English. It is not my primary language.

Anyway, every single person's work in here is incredibly awe-inspiring. I'm sure it is a highly rewarding experience and even if your project doesn't go as planned, there's gotta be a valuable lesson to learn from it.

Hey there and welcome!

I hope some of these links might help, though I'll admit I didn't sift through everything they have so they may have more than what you're currently looking for (though that probably can't hurt, either):

https://animatorsresourcekit.wordpress.com/ (seems to be a gathering of books and site references on all matters relating to animation, including storyboarding)

http://www.animatorisland.com/ Another gathering, this time of blog posts on specific animation points (I'm fairly sure storyboarding must be mentioned somewhere in there)

https://line-of-action.com/
A site to practice "live" drawing of specific things, the main point of interest compared to other sites of its kind being the galleries of non-full figure photos (also, animals!). Very handy for general practice+if you want to focus on anything in particular.

Otherwise, my two main recommendations would be to read the Animator Survivalist Kit by Richard Williams, and then, practice! I don't know whether you intend to focus more on 2D/3D, but for 2D animation, it's fairly simple, all you need is pen and paper to get started (or a software with basic layering tools if you intend to go full digital off the bat). That's how I went about it anyway!

Oh I think it's great, I was always taught that you should go big or go home when it comes to animation. People only think they wants subtle!
I focused on 3D animation and not 2D but your work makes a lot of sense to me, always neato to peak behind the curtain.

Indeed, I was told the same! :-D Trying to be realistic/naturalistic ends up looking unnatural to most (just like for sound effects), since apparently our perception and expectations of what's "real" often seem to be... well, different, to say the least :-D

Worked pretty hard on my game today. Wanted people to be able to play the first part of the game by Monday and this meant getting the first boss in amongst other QoL things. Not the flashiest but now that it's in I've got time to refine things.
LMwivit.gif

FyW0jcV.gif

If you need a playtester come monday, I'd be happy to help!

Yeah I'm okay, I learned a lot from it so nothing truly lost. Today I got an email from another company I've applied to and they asked if I'd be interested in a Unity programming position so it's all good. Not sure why they'd ask such a question when I've applied to QA and level design, but hey, it's something! :) Currently waiting on a response to that.

I'd certainly say being offered a programming position when you applied for QA is more than something, so congrats, and I hope you get it :-D

missile

I'm going to skim through most of this since I'm behind on linear algebra

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1568817231/?tag=neogaf0e-20 ...
Fine. If you need any help in math, call me up.

... Foley book is on the way. I think I can probably derive the wireframe renderer on my own in the meantime.
You gonna use Bresenham for the lines?

... Edit: I should probably dial back on the trails in the next gif.

swarm.gif
Coloring looks cool somehow.

... Ahh well actually that's from a movie, it would be super cool to see in a game though ...
If I get some time glacing over my focus code, I will do it again.

... Worked pretty hard on my game today. Wanted people to be able to play the first part of the game by Monday and this meant getting the first boss in amongst other QoL things. Not the flashiest but now that it's in I've got time to refine things. ...

FyW0jcV.gif
Roughly, how is the game meant to be played and what's the goal?

Congrats! I remember one of the guys form Studio Liverpool who started with QA
and later got deeply involved into WipEout production.

If this is an open offer I would love for you to give my game a whirl, not complete but getting a professional opinion on the UI, that even I consider janky, would certainly be helpful!

Yeah it was an open offer, I'd be happy to give it a look. I'd highlight UX issues with screenshots, descriptions of the issue and its consequence, as well as potential solutions (sometimes with reference and screenshots to other games).

I can only realistically play windows or android builds however, should have said that before. Others would be very awkward for me to play as I don't personally own an iphone or dev kits for consoles.

Probably could get a brief report back to you within a week, could post on gaf and or email it to you, whichever you prefer.

Something to bear in mind though is that I'm still a junior in this field so I'm still learning too. There might be some issues I don't observe and some solutions I'm not aware of, but I still feel it would be very helpful especially if as you say, you think things like your interface might be a bit 'janky'.

Minamu

I'd certainly say being offered a programming position when you applied for QA is more than something, so congrats, and I hope you get it :-D

Congrats! I remember one of the guys form Studio Liverpool who started with QA
and later got deeply involved into WipEout production.

Thanks guys :) Now, I don't think it was meant as an actual *offer*, it's probably more of a "hey, if you're interested, we could do an interview about it". But it's a very positive response, my reference had given me a glowing review so I'm happy either way. If only I wasn't so unsure of myself and my very tiny programming experience. I wouldn't dream of actually applying for a full-time programming position anywhere :/

Regardless, it's career progress in the end though, that's how I view it :)

neko.works

Looks nice!

I love the looks of this game. Great art style and atmosphere! I will say that I'm not crazy about the text/dialogue boxes though. Something about them just seems out of place when overlaid on top of the 3d rendered art. Just my opinion though, so take it for what it's worth. Either way, very impressive and keep up the great work!

Thanks guys :3

Saw this on twitter earlier, was this ever meant to come to Vita? I feel like at some point I remember reading that but it's understandable if it's not anymore.

The game is currently planned for Steam and Xbox One initially, then PS4 and Switch if successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom