• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF OT 14: The Alpha and The Omega

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazduh

Grace Mitchell - Now

WDgXtll.gif

DOWN

Banned
Eek at the reviews for the Chainsmokers album

The Guardian:
If the Chainsmokers know anything, it’s that no one ever died from hearing a chorus too often. It’s why the American duo were the only bulwark against an all-Sheeran UK top 10 last month. This debut doesn’t dare vary their formula: instantly memorable yet completely forgettable music, with all the personality and passion of an invoice. The female singers all sound like a Sia guide vocal for Rihanna; the men mostly simper shallow emo-EDM cliches about failing relationships. Eventually everything sounds the same - the more you hear the less there is to listen to. This is Trump-pop: shallow, always betraying its influences, with a third-grade vocabulary and ambition that runs no further than emptying the nearest wallet.

I've always thought Emily Warren was a bootleg Sia and I'm apparently not the only one

Charli's ep is the only ep/lp woth paying attention to this year
this year is shite for pop
Truth.
At first I just liked it, but the more I listen to it the more I LOVE it. 3AM, White Roses & Blame it on You are goat.

BANKS released a new song but it's kinda meh. And tbh her 2nd album turned out to be mostly forgettable compared to her 1st.

Oh well, hope we get some new music from Jessie Ware and Fka Twigs this year. The radio has become unbearable with the steaming garbage dominating the charts, even Katy's new song become tolerable next to the ed shitan and chainsmokers and bruno crap. Which says a lot.

Mau ®

While ya'll stay lamenting Pop's sorry state, I'm enjoying Father John Misty and Arca's new albums. Real music always wins.

Vazduh

Michelle Branch's new album is a pleasant listen so far.

giphy.gif

Nothing Earth-shattering, but lbr, her stuff never was (except for Breathe/Are You Happy Now/All You Wanted/Goodbye To You which are still great pop songs)

Mau ®

Michelle Branch released an alberm? My 13yo self was profoundly connected to Hotel Paper. Although if I were to revisit it I think I would be shocked at how juvenile and full of platitudes it actually is.

I'll listen to her latest anyway. She'll always have a place in my heart.

Phreaker

Thanks, but yeah you were. I did worry it wasn't explicit enough.

Also whew at some of the salt in the poll.

kErlpzY.gif

Let me go read some responses.

Oh, it was the velvet room song? That's fine. I did listen to the song I put there a lot this week, but I don't think it will be the winner, like last week.

NN4aPjX.gif

Eek at the reviews for the Chainsmokers album

The Guardian:

If the Chainsmokers know anything, it’s that no one ever died from hearing a chorus too often. It’s why the American duo were the only bulwark against an all-Sheeran UK top 10 last month. This debut doesn’t dare vary their formula: instantly memorable yet completely forgettable music, with all the personality and passion of an invoice. The female singers all sound like a Sia guide vocal for Rihanna; the men mostly simper shallow emo-EDM cliches about failing relationships. Eventually everything sounds the same - the more you hear the less there is to listen to. This is Trump-pop: shallow, always betraying its influences, with a third-grade vocabulary and ambition that runs no further than emptying the nearest wallet.

I've always thought Emily Warren was a bootleg Sia and I'm apparently not the only one

tumblr_n76rg7P7h81qdlh1io1_r1_400.gif

I love it when the guardian drags, their Jessie J review is great

She can certainly sing, albeit in the grandstanding all-talent-and-no-taste style that guarantees a standing ovation on The X Factor. I Miss Her, a ballad dealing with the improbable subject of Alzheimer's, would be infinitely more affecting if she dialled down her performance a bit. Instead, she starts breaking out the melismas after about 20 seconds and goes progressively more bananas from there on in. The effect is distracting, like a heartfelt and tender eulogy being read out by a pantomime dame who keeps flashing her sequined bloomers and shooting fireworks out of her wig.

giphy.gif

why the hell is that gremlin Lorde included at all? She's NOT iconic, Green sucks, she has ZERO vocal range and honestly in the realm of uggos she should be replaced by Grimes who actually makes good music
One of you sucks.

Grimes is iconic, but lorde killed your flop faves in 2013.

Vazduh

Q: Was anyone missing? Who would they be? Why? Let me know.

A: Well, you forgot to include some singers with a dick. And I'm not talking O!NK, although you could and should have included him/(XIM? XER? XIT?)

A: Tinashe was missing as Tinasaka Miaflopo, a talented but never seen girl who will probably shoot up the school

omg

f7kEdym.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I cannot believe Janet the Scammer
C9CGo-aW0AAwU0o.jpg

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Just got big weekend tickets which means I'm going to have the delight of seeing Miss Katy Perry live.
Control your jealousy girls.
*90swhiteladylookingsuperior.gif*

Matt_

The Harry Styles song is kinda growing on me
here for his real music™

Queen Siobhan Donaghy is pregnant! Congrats legend. Her husband is so hot, she won.

(I guess this means MKS really is never gonna happen... oh well, serve us a post baby 'ray of light' instead queen!)

rhandino

Banned
I just listened to Harry new hymn.

These flops from 1D needs to stop trying it with RealMusic™ and instead go for Trump-pop because their attempts are laughable in how boring and basic they are but why would they change that when everyone around them, from fans to their closest ones, are telling them that they are making TrueArt with meaning and shit.

tumblr_meikplx6om1qcwgrvo4_r1_250.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom