• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic: There are 20+ Japanese Unreal Engine 4 games for Switch in development

Sorry for stupid question. Is the Switch a replacement for both 3DS and WiiU? I ask this because software support for 3DS was very good, and wondering if the trend continues with Switch.

I feel like if you were happy with 3DS support following the first year and half, you'll be happy.

There will likely be fewer exclusives games like DoA: Dimensions and Revelations due to development costs. Instead, devs would just port the latest versions of their games to the platform.

LordKano

Well let's look at what he said...

Sounds like it could be like a crazy reveal if he said it would be a thread for the archives. If not FFVIR then maybe Chrono Trigger Remake or a true sequel.

Why wouldn't it make sense? There were remaking the others up until the 3DS.

I mean, a remake in the likes of FF1 on 3DS is certainly possible, but that would be a digital title, sold at a relatively cheap price. The original rumor talked about a full remake like FFVIIR is. Aka, probably going from a 2D to a 3D game. This is something that will never happen.

Instro

I mean, a remake in the likes of FF1 on 3DS is certainly possible, but that would be a digital title, sold at a relatively cheap price. The original rumor talked about a full remake like FFVIIR is. Aka, probably going from a 2D to a 3D game. This is something that will never happen.

I'm not understanding how it differs from FF3 & 4 which were remade in 3D.

LordKano

I'm not understanding how it differs from FF3 & 4 which were remade in 3D.

Do you think Square Enix would remake FF6 in cell-shading style and sell it at full-price ? FF4 & FF3 are DS games so it had a pass since the console couldn't do better than that. If they intend to do that, they would have to remake it with a modern art-style ala World of Final Fantasy. I don't see that happening.

They should remake Final Fantasy IV again because that's how awesome it is.

Oh man, if SE and Nintendo put all a ton of classic Final Fantasy games on Switch I'm going to be broke and have no regrets.

dex3108

I want this on Switch pretty badly, but I'm not holding my breath. The game has likely been in development solely for PS4 since well before the Switch was announced.

I'm hoping for Level 5 love in some form, but my guess is it won't surface until 2018.

And PC.

jdstorm

Banned
FF6 remake is a massive project that I see literally no chance of happening along side an FF7 remake.

Take this with a heavy grain of salt. And i may be missremembering. However

The rumoured FFVI remake was assumed to be in a style similar to bravely default. That would be significantly less work then the FFVII remaster

The rumoured FFVI remake was assumed to be in a style similar to bravely default. That would be significantly less work then the FFVII remaster

You mean, a lot like Project Octopath Travelor? I get serious FF VI vibes from that trailer, including the characters being in a mine and the town background looking a lot like Narshe. Also, Octo, as in Ultros...

Asd202

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ni No Kuni 2 on Switch, I also wouldn't be surprised if it didn't come to Switch.

I think Ni No Kuni 2 will make it to Switch due to performance target. It runs at 1080p 60 FPS on standart PS4. Shouldn't be much of a problem to downport it to 720p/30FPS for Switch.

Just 20? And that's assuming Nintendo isn't using Unreal.

Need to get more dev kits out there.
There aren't that many Japanese-developed UE4 games in general. Considering I can't even name 20 upcoming games for PS4 that would qualify, this much developer intent so early on in Switch's life is pretty impressive.

jdstorm

Banned
You mean, a lot like Project Octopath Travelor? I get serious FF VI vibes from that trailer, including the characters being in a mine and the town background looking a lot like Narshe. Also, Octo, as in Ultros...

Honestly No Idea. I'm trying to be as accurate as a can, but i'm mostly trying to remember a forgotten rumour that may have only been idle speculation from another Gaffer.

In saying that. Octopath Traveler does look really good. Man there are too many games this year.

Son Of D

This might sound weird but I feel bad for FFV if VI gets a remake next. I and II got the PSP remakes, III and IV got the DS remakes, VI is rumoured to get a remake and there's VII remake coming to PS4.

All V got was that Mobile port.

patientx

Be it RE Engine or UE4, I just want that MonHun 5 at long last...

Yeah whatever engine it may be, even if it is the same as wiiu mh3u engine, I will play this game on switch for a looong time. Hell, after playing with switch after a month I returned back to n3dsxl to play mhxx.

Passose

Banned
Yeah whatever engine it may be, even if it is the same as wiiu mh3u engine, I will play this game on switch for a looong time. Hell, after playing with switch after a month I returned back to n3dsxl to play mhxx.
Idk, but using the mh3u engine for a monster hunter switch is pretty anti climatic

marmoka

Banned
I think we should speculate for the announcement of those games in E3 by now, and consider TGS for later.

Let's see what surprises they have.

TannerDemoz

Could OP edit the first comment to show rumours/suggestions/confirmations of games if we have enough info to keep track of this?

Passose

Banned
I think we should speculate for the announcement of those games in E3 by now, and consider TGS for later.

Let's see what surprises they have.
Japanese games on E3? Maybe some big names, but overall I don't think most of them will show up at E3

faridmon

Just 20? And that's assuming Nintendo isn't using Unreal.

Need to get more dev kits out there.

20 games for Japanese based games running on UE4 is huge.

It wasn't long when none of the Japanese companies could parse the codes and programmes for UE because language barrier and hence we had only 1 or 2 titles running on UE from Japan

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
That's what I was talking about. They had a TGS preconference. It was for that event.

Erm no...IGN just called it like that because it happened prior to TGS. They always have some kind of fall media event/press conference - doesnt have much to do with TGS...would happen with or without TGS.

Top Bottom