• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic: There are 20+ Japanese Unreal Engine 4 games for Switch in development

Instro

I heard about a game that was planned (months ago) that if it ends up being true will get a thread for the archives. Let's see what happens at E3 this year!

You have to give us a bit more to go on than that.

Isn't this the dude that had some Pokemon leaks a while back? Or am I thinking of someone else?

LordKano

Considering that japanese devs are adopting UE4 en masse, this seems like a normal number.

Watch many of those 20 games be 2D puzzles, waifu simulators and some other minor stuff. Mostly eShop.

If we get more than 5 meaty projects out of this I'll be very surprised.

Uuuh, 2D games in UE4 ?

I heard about a game that was planned (months ago) that if it ends up being true will get a thread for the archives. Let's see what happens at E3 this year!

Are we talking Bayonetta 2 being a Wii U-exclusive big here? THAT was crazy! A port of ANYTHING won't do that, it's gotta be a huge exclusive. And a 3rd-party one at that, I don't think even Metroid would do that.

Edit: And not something rumored like Beyond Good & Evil 2.

Edit 2: Wait, because you said this in this thread, you have to mean a Japanese 3rd-party game using UE4 right? That wouldn't be BG&E2 then.

Back on topic,

I'd like to see Persona 5 on this. That's not pushing any graphical capabilities and I understand Sony has exclusivity on the mainline Persona's, but damn do I wish I could play Persona 5 on the game. I love it so much but taking it on the go and playing it anywhere I want, that would be amazing.

Another one I'd like on the go is Dark Souls. Dark Souls would be a party taking it everywhere. Dying everywhere.

That's about all I can think of right now. Everything else I'm fine with playing on PS4 since they look and run better. But I think these two can run on the system and still look good.

They do?

Cerium

After a statement like this I will accept no less than Final Fantasy VIIR.

jdstorm

Banned
Again, it doesn't have to be severely downgraded. Just look at the most recent ports of games on the three systems. The PRO obviously is gonna have more bells and whistles, but the NS version can and would look great still. You're really understating what the system can do. But it doesn't matter, if Square Enix wants to port the game...they will. I think they will, honestly.

I tend to agree with this. Disney Infinity was reasonably successful on the WiiU. You would have to think a similar Disney mash up like Kingdom Hearts would appeal to those same people, In addition to those who would like to play it on a portable device.

Edit: There was a very under the radar gaf rumour a few months ago in NX threads about a possible Switch Exclusive being created by Square. It would be great if true, but i'm not going to propogate it incase it isnt. For memory at the time it was hidden behind spoiler tags, in an indecipherablely long thread.

I tend to agree with this. Disney Infinity was reasonably successful on the WiiU. You would have to think a similar Disney mash up like Kingdom Hearts would appeal to those same people, In addition to those who would like to play it on a portable device.

Edit: There was a very under the radar gaf rumour a few months ago in NX threads about a possible Switch Exclusive being created by Square. It would be great if true, but i'm not going to propogate it incase it isnt. For memory at the time it was hidden behind spoiler tags, in an indecipherablely long thread.

When was the rumour? Because we got Octopath traveller and that seems to be exclusive

The port begging thread we needed
lol.gif

I'd like to casually observe that Tekken 7 would do gangbusters on the Switch.

jdstorm

Banned
When was the rumour? Because we got Octopath traveller and that seems to be exclusive

It was deeply hidden behind spoiler tags in one of the ridiculously long NX threads. It may have been one of the many Emily/Laura threads. I dont really remember which thread it was in, and i'm not going to repeat it without first finding the source.

However its fair to say this rumoured title hasn't been announced.

It was deeply hidden behind spoiler tags in one of the ridiculously long NX threads. It may have been one of the many Emily/Laura threads. I dont really remember which thread it was in, and i'm not going to repeat it without first finding the source.

If it was an NX thread not a switch thread why wouldnt it be Octopath?

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member

Final Fantasy 6 Remake? Was rumoured as an NX exclusive and the guy that leaked a lot of Sony Japanese games on here before talked about Square wanting to remake 6 so it would make sense.

Kuro

I really hope Switch doesn't become the default in Japan considering how weak the console is. Hopefully PS4 stays lead console for most multiplatform games in development from smaller devs.

Instro

I really hope Switch doesn't become the default in Japan considering how weak the console is. Hopefully PS4 stays lead console for most multiplatform games in development from smaller devs.

I'd assume there will some exclusives, and a lot of multi plats between the two.

zeromcd73

I would guess that one of them would be the next mainline Tales of game. We know the Tales series is coming to Switch from Nintendo's official Japanese website, and they are finally ditching PS3 after all these years, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Tales of team went with UE4 for their next game.

The FFVIR rumor never made sense and has zero chance to be real.
Well let's look at what he said...

Sounds like it could be like a crazy reveal if he said it would be a thread for the archives. If not FFVIR then maybe Chrono Trigger Remake or a true sequel.

With how well Switch is selling in Japan currently and if its momentum keeps continuing I wouldn't be surprised if the Switch becomes their main focus.

And its not like Japan cares about power either.

2D games can be made on unreal 4 and would be a smart decision for games with heavy networking. Other than that though I see little reason to use UE4.

doop_

Banned
Don't let him suck you in. Posts like his should be banned imo, i am just tired of this crap after all the LKD and Liam Robertson rumors.

Trago

So basically most if not all major Japanese stuff using Unreal 4?

Good shit, and expected. Switch is doing great in Japan, so having major titles ported over ain't surprising.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Those smaller devs are certainly pushing that ps4 lol, switch isn't as weak as you think btw

Speely

Banned
I would love a moba or diablo type game. I can't get into turned based combat and Japan loves it. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I don't really play any mobas (just never really tried one) but I think a good Diablo-type game would be perfect fit for the Switch. PERFECT.

Top Bottom