• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steering Wheel-age (or why you should try rFactor)

mclaren777

04guI.jpg

I've noticed that many of you seem to own nice steering wheels yet it seems like very few of you actually play any PC games with them. I personally think that's a great shame. And I don't want this thread to devolve into an ARCADE.vs.SIM debate, but there are definitely many perks to PC racing sims that you won't find on the consoles. So with that, here's what I've put together...

YouTube Walkthrough
Download the demo

This demo is actually the old rFactor beta from late 2004. It isn't representative of the features and polish of the final game (this version doesn't even support DX9) but it will give you a small taste of what rFactor is like. Many things have been greatly improved between this beta and where rFactor is now, so if you enjoy this small snippet you'll probably love the full version.

So what makes rFactor so special? Besides its robust game engine (which SimBin used for GTR2/GTL and the RACE series) and its detailed physics system (which half of the current F1 teams use for their simulators, including Red Bull), rFactor is heavily supported by the modding community (see following post) and everything is free. Tired of the standard-issue vehicles? Get the latest touring cars. Have a local race track in your area? Download it and do a few laps for yourself. Unhappy with the way force feedback feels or the look of the HUD? Sample some of the innumerable add-ons. For a list of most mods, click here.

Enough chit-chat. Download that ZIP folder, install the Logitech drivers, and give rFactor a whirl. And I'll be around for most of the day should you have any questions.

mclaren777

The Mods of rFactor

rFactor comes with many great cars and tracks, but the vast majority of available content has come from the modding community. Here's a sneak peek at what's available for the full version of rFactor, and keep in mind that it's all free...

Youtube Video

rF_GAF1.jpg

rF_GAF2.jpg

rF_GAF3.jpg

rF_GAF4.jpg

mclaren777

rFactor Beginner's Guide

Tip #1:
If you're new to PC racing sims you'll probably want to make use of the driving aids. The default NeoGAF profile that I created has most of them turned off, but they can be re-enabled using the F1-F11 keys. F12 will take a screenshot and dump it into rFactor's root directory.

Tip #2:
rFactor is best played with a steering wheel for obvious reasons, though game pads also work pretty well. You can use anything from a cheapo $20 USB pad to a corded Xbox 360 controller. But you seriously owe it to yourself to use a proper steering wheel.

Tip #3:
It's important to familiarize yourself with the various car controls because you never know when they might be needed. Aside from steering, shifting and throttle/brake, I found it useful to know what buttons control the following features: Speed Limiter, LCD Display, Ignition, Vehicle Labels, and Look Behind.

Tip #4:
Graphics settings are going have a significant impact on your enjoyment of this game, so it's important to set them correctly. While on track, you can check your frames per second by pressing Ctrl+F (a small number will pop up in the upper-right corner). The goal is to get the average FPS above 40 so keep adjusting your Display settings until that's accomplished.

Tip #5:
This video will give you some additional tips: Youtube Video

The Future of rFactor

ISI is hard at work on rFactor 2 and they've said it should be out in some form within the next six months. Whether that means it'll be an open beta or the final version is anyone's guess at this point, but it will surely be a great improvement over rF1. Possibly the most exciting aspect is that the modding community is already familiar with the basic game engine so the mods will surely be much better in rF2, much like how things are happening now in the LBP2 beta.

rF2_GAF1.jpg

rF2_GAF2.jpg

rF2_GAF3.jpg

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Believe me, I'd love to use my Fanatec setup for more games, I just have been distracted with going through the rest of my backlog. :lol

Fixed1979

Loaded the demo I got with my G27, hated it and played iRacing instead. Why wouldn't they update the demo. Also is there any online?

mclaren777

mrklaw said:
Mac compatible? Or run decently well in parallels?
It's PC only but I'm guessing it'll run fairly well in Bootcamp. The real question is whether the Logitech drivers will work on a Mac--I'm not overly familiar with how OS emulation works. But the entire package is ~90mb so it might be worth checking out if you like racing sims.

Angst

Nice OP!

It's weird that they haven't updated the demo in six years though. How hard can it be? </jeremyclarkson>

Tried it 2 years ago and didn't really like it, so I went back to GTR2 and GT Legends. Maybe it's time to try it again.

mclaren777

Fixed1979 said:
Loaded the demo I got with my G27, hated it and played iRacing instead. Why wouldn't they update the demo. Also is there any online?
ISI is a small company that caters to an equally small audience. I'm guessing they just had better things to do than updating the demo. But iRacing is a great alternative if you've got the money for it. How are you liking it so far?

mclaren777

Angst said:
Nice OP!

It's weird that they haven't updated the demo in six years though. How hard can it be? </jeremyclarkson>

Tried it 2 years ago and didn't really like it, so I went back to GTR2 and GT Legends. Maybe it's time to try it again.
GTR2/GTL are also great alternatives. I feel that those games represent Simbin at its best (the RACE series is too watered-down IMO). It'll be interesting to see how their Lizard Engine carries them forward in the future. Hopefully it'll be even more hardcore and as easily moddable.

Angst

mclaren777 said:
GTR2/GTL are also great alternatives. I feel that those games represent Simbin at its best (the RACE series is too watered-down IMO). It'll be interesting to see how their Lizard Engine carries them forward in the future. Hopefully it'll be even more hardcore and as easily moddable.
I agree, I was pretty disappointed with Race. GTL and GTR2 combined with the awesome Germans at www.pilsbierbude.de and www.altbierbude.de is still entertaining me while I wait for GT5. :D

Fixed1979

mclaren777 said:
ISI is a small company that caters to an equally small audience. I'm guessing they just had better things to do than updating the demo. But iRacing is a great alternative if you've got the money for it. How are you liking it so far?

I actually really enjoy iRacing, forgetting about physics, tracks, cars and everything being part of a league with stat tracking, rules and laws is a really neat experience. The only problem is, as with an MMO it is a bit of a money drain and you really need to invest considerable time in order to advance. My three month sub is almost up and I'm not sure if a continual investment is the best choice for me right now.

I wouldn't mind giving the full version of Rfactor a try if it was resonably priced, especially if there is a considerable difference from the demo. Is it on Steam? How much am I paying?

Also nice OP, I guess it did it's job if it got me thinking about trying it again.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Ever since I switched over to using a laptop, I haven't had the chance to really play through much of rFactor over the past year. However my brother-in-law enjoys shoving this on whenever I go visit my sister for a drunken night of antics so I get the dose eventually.

How do you tone down the head movement? That shit drove me crazy and made me stop playing :lol

I tried editing the .PLR and cockpit.ini but it's still there.

Firewire

Banned
I would love to play both rFactor and iRacing, but I don't have a PC. I keep telling myself one day I'll get a PC together and jump in to these games but it just never happens.

I have played both a bit over at a friends house who's really into iRacing and I enjoyed the experience allot. Love the fact that I did not experience much contact as well.

One Day....

mclaren777

Wax Free Vanilla said:
How do you tone down the head movement? That shit drove me crazy and made me stop playing :lol

I tried editing the .PLR and cockpit.ini but it's still there.
Try the HeadPhysics.ini file in the Vehicles folder.

nice thread.

here's a MUST-HAVE plugin, RealFeel for force feedback, you'll have to adjust it to your liking manually for each mod, but it's a huge HUGE HUGE difference to the standard ffb. http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=Real Feel FFB Plugin

also fsone 2009 http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=FSONE 2009

wcp tracks are pretty good. mostly edits of existing tracks I think, from other mod teams, isi and whatever. http://www.filefront.com/14679987/Trackpack-WCP.exe/ (tracks in there are melbourne, shanghai, nurburgring, silverstone, hungaroring, monza, sepang, monaco, catalunya, istanbul)

http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=Nordschleife 2007
http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=Spa Francorchamp

Az

You read my mind OP. Thanks a lot I was actually going to make a thread but this is it, I am subscribing and moving in here. I'll check it out today when I get home. My DFGT is lonely.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Wow, I had tried the rfactor demo back when I got my g25, but I had no idea the final game looked that good and was that comprehensive. Will buy.

jlevel13

Great thread! While rFactor may be a step below iRacing in terms of handling and ease of online racing, it's an amazing value proposition with the mod support and huge library of tracks and cars available. Sometimes it seems like there's so much you can do in rFactor that it's overwhelming, like the content of 100 regular games in one.

Actually, looking at the screenshots, I realized I've never tried a karting mod - is there a specific one you recommend?

Also, I'm very much looking forward to rFactor 2 in 2011, hopefully.

TheExodu5

Banned
Did not care for the force feedback in rFactor on my G25. Sadly, this is a huge thing for me since it affects my immersion factor so much. I enjoyed iRacing quite a bit, however.

mclaren777

TheExodu5 said:
Did not care for the force feedback in rFactor on my G25.
There's a good chance that you had the FFB backwards. This isn't a criticism of you, but most Logitech wheels need to be at -100% (or any negative value that feels good). If it's on the positive side it'll feel terrible!

TheExodu5

Banned
mclaren777 said:
There's a good chance that you had the FFB backwards. This isn't a criticism of you, but most Logitech wheels need to be at -100% (or any negative value that feels good). If it's on the positive side it'll feel terrible!

I had it low. Wasn't terrible or anything, but wasn't nearly up to par with iRacing from what I remember.

GTR2 had the best force feedback, but the worst physics. Loved that you actually felt the engine rumble. Didn't care for the game whatsoever.

Seems like rFactor can be modded nicely though. I may try it again at some point.

I'm pretty much anticipating GT5 though...don't know how much rFactor I'll play once that's out.

mclaren777

TheExodu5 said:
I had it low. Wasn't terrible or anything, but wasn't nearly up to par with iRacing from what I remember.
It might be worth another shot. Make the FFB high, but also make it negative. -100% is the same as 100% for Logitech wheels (and possibly others).

KillerAJD

On top of that, try the RealFeel plugin.(Ahh, saw I was beat above) A bunch of mods have been setup specifically for it, and when it's tweaked just right, it's glorious! Also, I'm building a track atm, I'll let you guys try it out first once I'm happy with it (It's the main route for Reno Fernley Raceway Roadcourse, i.e., right where I used to live).

ALSO! Try out the DirtWorks Designs UMP Stocks/Modifieds if you want some amazing dirt track stuff. My dad who drove a stock car for ~25 years plays it everyday when he gets off of work :lol

Ravenn17

I bought DiRT 2 a few days ago when DirectDriver had their $6 deal going on, and I can't get the game to recognize my Fanatec PWTS. None of the inputs work at all. It's weird because I have the latest driver installed and the wheel works perfectly fine with iRacing.

Chris R

Downloading the demo now, going to try it with my DFGT. Always wanted to try something more simmy than GT, but never got around to it.

edit: nevermind, seems the game wont even run in Win7 64bit. OH WELL

KillerAJD

rhfb said:
Downloading the demo now, going to try it with my DFGT. Always wanted to try something more simmy than GT, but never got around to it.

edit: nevermind, seems the game wont even run in Win7 64bit. OH WELL
Bwa? I run it in Win7 64bit... You might need to run it in compatibility/admin mode though.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Fredescu said:
Related question: is the G27 the wheel du jour at the moment? Is there a better value one around?
Value-wise, it would probably be the Fanatec model that supports both 360 and PS3 as well as PC. They're not making that model anymore though, so whatever's left in the warehouse is it until they're all sold. Fantastic wheel though, especially if you go with the full aluminum pedals (which by themselves are pricey, but still reasonable compared to high end pedal options).

Fredescu

XiaNaphryz said:
Value-wise, it would probably be the Fanatec model that supports both 360 and PS3 as well as PC. They're not making that model anymore though, so whatever's left in the warehouse is it until they're all sold. Fantastic wheel though, especially if you go with the full aluminum pedals (which by themselves are pricey, but still reasonable compared to high end pedal options).
Probably hard to get here in Aus. I see this Fanatec model is $100AU cheaper than the G27. http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=284_952&products_id=13466 Is it fairly comparable?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Not what the thread was made for but - is there anyway of getting pedals for a driving force pro? I bought the wheel for $5 - still is fun for arcade racing, but useless for sims. Anyone know if the logitech gamecube wheel pedals will work with it, as they can be had for $15 or so.

Chris R

KillerAJD said:
Bwa? I run it in Win7 64bit... You might need to run it in compatibility/admin mode though.
Tried it and still no go. I'll mess around more with it (didn't spend more than 10 mins on it yesterday, was just taking a break from CivV) and try to get it to work.

mclaren777

rhfb said:
Tried it and still no go. I'll mess around more with it (didn't spend more than 10 mins on it yesterday, was just taking a break from CivV) and try to get it to work.
Are you trying the old beta or the proper 1GB demo?

Dilly

Banned
Demo doesn't do the game justice, the mods are much better than the original content. I remeber disliking it when I first played the demo.

mclaren777

I love open-wheeled cars in rFactor (especially the rTrainer and rF3) so I was really excited to try the new 2008-2010 GP2 cars. What a blast! I think they are much better than the old 2006 cars--more drivable, with an improved sensation of aero-loading. I guess working with Arden Motorsport (a current GP2 team) really helped.

I highly recommend this mod if you have the skill.

Download GP2 Mod

b5ktiu.jpg

And here's a sneak peek of the Salzburgring. It should be available soon.

4kg74.jpg

Zaptruder

Banned
This shit's like the Linux of racing games.
Or Oblivion.

If you love tinkering and modding, you'll be able to get it quite nice, maybe even 'just right'... maybe...

A shame that we don't have a highly moddable racing game that is also excellent out of the box... like SC2, but for racing.

Chris R

The proper demo worked great. I didn't do well, but I should actually build a wheel setup, and not just attach it to a tv tray :lol

Ezalc

I guess this is an appropriate thread to ask this question: Me and my dad are looking forward to GT5 that we are planning on buying two steering wheels so that we can use to play the game with against each other. Now along with that and the game I just discovered thanks to this thread, I was wondering what steering wheel(s) gaf thinks would be good and can be used on the pc/ps3/360. I don't want something freakishly expensive but nothing that is cheap but not durable. Any help is greatly appreciated!

KillerAJD

Finally finished my track. If you guys want to try it out, download it here. Check it out and tell me if you like it! It doesn't look fancy, but I think it's quite fun to take a spin around. Also, try the WRC Subaru mod around it...it's pretty amazing :lol Here's a youtube video of me driving around it.

lF1pe.jpg

ky5To.jpg

dt3ma.jpg

DJsqj.jpg

Yoritomo

Ezalc said:
I guess this is an appropriate thread to ask this question: Me and my dad are looking forward to GT5 that we are planning on buying two steering wheels so that we can use to play the game with against each other. Now along with that and the game I just discovered thanks to this thread, I was wondering what steering wheel(s) gaf thinks would be good and can be used on the pc/ps3/360. I don't want something freakishly expensive but nothing that is cheap but not durable. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Only thing compatible with all three is the Fanatec Porsche Wheel Turbo S

250 for just the wheel. It's awesome though.

Top Bottom