• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In celebration of Final Fantasy's 30th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Started grinding in the Monster Arena today. I forgot how slow this was before you get everything well above 100. 90 hours in. At this rate it'll be another 90 before I'm done the grid.

Started grinding in the Monster Arena today. I forgot how slow this was before you get everything well above 100. 90 hours in. At this rate it'll be another 90 before I'm done the grid.

It's why I love the PC version. That 4x and 8x speed boost is perfect for the ridiculous grind that is FFX. Blitzball at 4x makes grinding Wakka's sigil so much easier. I can then transfer my save to the Vita and get my trophies.

SilverArrow20XX

It's why I love the PC version. That 4x and 8x speed boost is perfect for the ridiculous grind that is FFX. Blitzball at 4x makes grinding Wakka's sigil so much easier. I can then transfer my save to the Vita and get my trophies.

Geeze. I think I spent a good 15 hours on blitz before finally getting the Jupiter Sigil.

Calling it a day today. Got most of Tidus's stats above 200 and have about 80% of the board completely filled. Just got Rikku's section and a bunch of small areas locked behind level 4 spheres that I'll steal from Nemesis tomorrow. Then the real work is done and it's just mindlessly filling the board with everybody else.

Geeze. I think I spent a good 15 hours on blitz before finally getting the Jupiter Sigil.

Calling it a day today. Got most of Tidus's stats above 200 and have about 80% of the board completely filled. Just got Rikku's section and a bunch of small areas locked behind level 4 spheres that I'll steal from Nemesis tomorrow. Then the real work is done and it's just mindlessly filling the board with everybody else.

It's a hell of a grind. On my PS2, I have a memory card somewhere that has a save clocked in at about 130 hours with pretty much everything done. All sphere grids completed and maxxed out. 10 of every creature caught and all celestial weapons on each character. Dark Aeons defeated and Penance defeated. Not the cheap Yojimbo defeat either, a proper take-down. This time around I'm just going to pay Yojimbo. I already earned my wings back in 2001.

SilverArrow20XX

It's a hell of a grind. On my PS2, I have a memory card somewhere that has a save clocked in at about 130 hours with pretty much everything done. All sphere grids completed and maxxed out. 10 of every creature caught and all celestial weapons on each character. Dark Aeons defeated and Penance defeated. Not the cheap Yojimbo defeat either, a proper take-down. This time around I'm just going to pay Yojimbo. I already earned my wings back in 2001.

Yeah. I think my last playthrough was about 120 hours. Only maxed stts for Tidus, Yuna and Wakka though, and didn't continue filling the grid after that.

For Penance this time I'm gonna try to take him out without auto-potion armor. I'm hoping I can just use quick pockets to throw elixirs on whoever gets hit every turn. Hopefully, auto-haste/protect/defense+20%/Ribbon is enough. If that doesn't work, I'll just call Yojimbo. I already beat Penance 5 years ago when I imported the international version. Of course, the PS3 version was announced shortly after.

Edit: Whoo. 114 hours in now and just got the Sphere Master trophy after nearly 25 hours of arena grinding and sphere farming. Still need to kill Earth Eater a few dozen more times for fortune spheres for everybody else, but most of the more time consuming stuff is done. Now onward to Perfect Sphere Master.

Ultratech

Yeah...you all are more dedicated than I ever was grinding out the Sphere Grid in FFX.

I barely dabbled in the Monster Arena aside from just collecting all the monsters for it.

I knew trying to completely fill the Grid would be a massive grind.
(Plus, getting the Ultimate Weapons was bad enough.)

Meowster

I have every single trophy in X except for mastering everyone's Sphere Grid. This just takes way too much damn time. I play it for an hour or so every few weeks hoping it would get a little better but alas...

Arthea

What levels do I need to able to take that new Iron uberboss? He seems unnecessary tough compared to other side bosses, and I thought Leviathan was a problem...

Ultratech

What levels do I need to able to take that new Iron uberboss? He seems unnecessary tough compared to other side bosses, and I thought Leviathan was a problem...

Iron Giant?
He's by and far the strongest enemy in the game. (Even more so than the Final Boss.)

You have to be pretty high-leveled to even survive a lot of his attacks (like 70s at the very least; it can be done lower but requires specific team builds).
You can cheese him a little bit with Viking's Provoke and Bard's Lamia/Madura Harps, but he's got lots of powerful AoE attacks and gets really nasty with Swipes and Meteors when you've got him near-death.

Also, you can grind on the Dragons in his cave for good EXP, Elixirs, and Onion Equipment.

But you don't really get anything special for beating the Iron Giant other than an item showing you've defeated him.

SilverArrow20XX

I went way overkill and had 4 level 99 Onion Knights, all in the back row, with full onion gear on everybody, 2 onion shields each, and spammed Ultima. Many days of Highschool were spent farming that onion gear in the back of classrooms instead of working.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
sHaB8LR.jpg
gL3S1e6.jpg
UxfJbQi.jpg

This is Kalm alright but instead of meeting up with the others at the inn, What decides to chat people up while looting the town! Shouldn't this gun be left behind like that megaphone? No one in the party can equip it so it must be useless.

HLUV50f.jpg
bjLEWBO.jpg
7M7Loln.jpg

Theres talk around town about Rufus being seriously injured (no bleeding though!) and AVALANCHE being wiped out but enough with the rumors. Gotta check in at the inn an clue people in on some serious backstory!

yLTizhs.jpg

Flashback! 16 year old What is travelling to him hometown of Nibelheim to repair a busted mako reactor which has apparently been making monsters? He's pumped for the mission since he's partnered with Sephiroth and wants to prove himself! Cause being 1st Class isn't enough, What wants fame!

61aEo7b.jpg
20pWFmi.jpg

Dealing tiny baby damage while your partner is doing over 3k, then falling flat on your face after getting hit by a dragon is so not the way to achieve fame.

yEGwoAL.jpg
Sa83aXv.jpg
rMX1GB9.jpg

Sephiroth doesn't have a hometown and at least one of his parents is dead. Tragic stuff. Plus the town reeks something fierce thanks to nasty mako stench!

hYFO0sK.jpg
KBZXrNQ.jpg

What gets some free time to make a round of hello's to people around town! But first lets check out the stats of a SOLDIER 1st Class! ...I'm not impressed.

9y3mLlI.jpg

No one was home at This's house so What decided to go up into her room and mess around! Digging through her clothing, reading her mail, jamming on her piano... rude much? In a much earlier flashback This was upset over all the boys leaving town to go to Midgar and here's followup on that! This one arrived in Midgar 8 day ago so either this letter is old or this guy only recently left town, or What had one heck of a growth spurt!

7PGQeY4.jpg
kpZWUmb.jpg
O2T9C6l.jpg

What says chatting about seeing his mom is unimportant but the others wanna hear it! Being nosy goes both ways! Lotsa doting mom goodness which I'm guessing gets What alil flustered an unable to finish sentences? btw since his mom is unnamed I've decided it should be Wat. Perfect right?!

OKkBrZl.jpg

Right. Cause it'd beat being named What's mother!

Nl8GmUy.jpg

Zangan travels the world passing on his knowledge of martial arts and This happens ta be one of his star pupils! Maybe her limit breaks show how she's still in training? Like the fact that she can outright miss or not easily perform critical strikes is a metaphor for how inexperience she still is. Deep huh?

OVsdO4e.jpg
HjByeD9.jpg

After oversleeping a little, What catches up to Sephiroth and the grunts and finds out This will be their tour guide to the reactor! She knows Mt. Nibel well, which makes sense since martial artists training out in the mountains is kinda a thing. The paparazzi wants to snap a pic of Sephiroth and gets his wish, though What and This kinda photobomb their way into it!

Da7Bfh0.jpg
e2sMqhN.jpg

It was no different than...??? C'mon What, quit with the trailing off crap!

VBL6Opm.jpg

Now those are the stats of a SOLDIER 1st Class!

DWRyIl4.jpg
Si1jRuV.jpg

Everyone makes it through one mountain path and up to a rope bridge. Rather than crossing it, What takes another approach. Returning to town! An check out this change of heart! Mr stay away from my daughter now wants What to look after her!

XoXnhBr.jpg
fDQkjNr.jpg
U5e8ZDt.jpg

Now who didn't see that coming? What is this, a prequel? What surviving that fall, and everyone else to, makes his earlier feat of crashing through the church seem run of the mill, which is a thing prequels tend ta do.

mWKOCEr.jpg

Okay they lost 1 grunt from this incident but still.

FzQjwm6.jpg

On to more important things, taking selfies on dead end paths! If you're gonna go on a tour why wouldn't ya snap some shots in outta the way places?

L0kCDsP.jpg
5AKukZd.jpg
0fnqEQE.jpg

Normally a green glow indicates radiation but this mako stuff seems to have no ill effects on people? Why I bet they could go swimming in a pool of it and come out just fine!

ydbhfbr.jpg

tl;dr - magic: it just works

N86TVux.jpg

This are you okay? I know that Hojo guys lame for dissing magic but... wait, maybe the mako fumes are getting to her?

zpjIabG.jpg
4bNVFO7.jpg

Upon reaching the reactor This is rewarded by being told to stay put. At gunpoint possibly.

s8IWLGb.jpg
KzM1xKk.jpg

The reactor looks old timey compared to the ones in Midgar and seems kinda familiar. Sephiroth tells What to close a loose valve but he instead wanders outside for a moment to see This being all sulky!

vKqo0TP.jpg
jDBz9xR.jpg

As punishment for goofing off, What's forced to look at things inside weird containers despite having sworn on a number of occasions to not do that!

xd3tCy2.jpg
o9SAFYR.jpg

Hojo's putting people in mako filled pods and they're coming out monsters. Great. Also What, dunno where that line of thought came from but please just stop.

caRhJc6.jpg
kGK8d6n.jpg

Oops, to late! Now Sephiroth's all mopey.

r2XsofV.jpg
67Gbn9O.jpg
pcBEXsc.jpg

Ya, I dunno if this all adds up. So far we haven't encountered monsters that even remotely resemble those ones in the pods. An I'm pretty sure we never will!

RtJoaCF.jpg
oLQ5lV7.jpg
gUkl6SV.jpg

Good time to take a break since this was only half the tale!

Arthea

Iron Giant?
He's by and far the strongest enemy in the game. (Even more so than the Final Boss.)

You have to be pretty high-leveled to even survive a lot of his attacks (like 70s at the very least; it can be done lower but requires specific team builds).
You can cheese him a little bit with Viking's Provoke and Bard's Lamia/Madura Harps, but he's got lots of powerful AoE attacks and gets really nasty with Swipes and Meteors when you've got him near-death.

Also, you can grind on the Dragons in his cave for good EXP, Elixirs, and Onion Equipment.

But you don't really get anything special for beating the Iron Giant other than an item showing you've defeated him.

I grind for days, get my guys to lvl 60... all die in the first turn without making a move just like 20 levels ago...
I'll have to grind to 99 for it, won't I? This sucks.
I'll try every 10 levels but considering how 20 levels did nothing at all...
Unfortunately I never trained Viking or Bard, so I can have only lvl 1 jobs for those, and getting decent levels means more grinding, when it was too much already.
Or do low levels of those jobs work too in this case?

Dragons are still too powerful for me to train (red one specifically), but I'll move there soon.

SilverArrow20XX

Dragons are still too powerful for me to train (red one specifically), but I'll move there soon.

The dragons all drop onion gear too (though it's all 1-2% drops). I recommend unlocking the Onion Knight job and using whatever onion gear drops. The gear is extremely powerful. Not quite Adamant gear from FFIV levels of OP, but it'll help a lot. The Iron Giant can STILL one shot you with onion gear, at level 99 though. It's best to put everyone in the back row and play defensively, using high level attack magic. Putting 2 shields on everybody isn't a bad idea either.

Ultratech

I grind for days, get my guys to lvl 60... all die in the first turn without making a move just like 20 levels ago...
I'll have to grind to 99 for it, won't I? This sucks.
I'll try every 10 levels but considering how 20 levels did nothing at all...
Unfortunately I never trained Viking or Bard, so I can have only lvl 1 jobs for those, and getting decent levels means more grinding, when it was too much already.
Or do low levels of those jobs work too in this case?

Job Levels are very important, even more so than actual Character Levels. (For the most part, higher Job Levels = Higher Damage output)

For the Viking, it increases the chances of Provoke landing successfully.
(The idea with Provoke is that the Viking tries to force the IG into single-target attacks against him with 2x Shields; but he's still gonna do AoE attacks eventually. This just reduces damage to the rest of the Party.)

For Bards, it increases the power of their Songs.
(The idea here is that you the Requiem Song to shave off the IG's HP until it gets to a certain point, then use the Minne Song to try to keep everyone alive from Swipes/Meteors.)

As mentioned, Onion Knights are very powerful, but are late-bloomers; they don't get REALLY good until the late 90s.
However, the Onion Gear gives Stat Bonuses that offset their low Stats prior to that, so they can be pretty good.

By the way, if you're gonna level grind, make sure to use Black Belts (or a Job with high VIT).
While Job Stats are predetermined at all levels, the one stat you do have control over is HP.
HP Growth is based off your current VIT when you Level Up, so more VIT = More HP per Level. You'll start seeing significant gains after a point.

SilverArrow20XX

Just unlocked the Perfect Sphere Master trophy. My game clock says I'm at 136 hours. I started grinding at 90. Just gotta beat Penance and watch Eternal Calm for the Platinum. Penance should be dead within the hour.

43 hours to play the entirety of the main game, up to the final boss.
47 hours to capture 10 of every monster, and do all of the Celestial weapon quests including blitzball grinding.
47 hours to grind out the sphere grid, customize armor for the Dark Aeons and Penance, and beat all of the Dark Aeons, arena monsters, and Penance.

Edit: Just beat Penance. Now on to the final boss. Wonder how many turns he'll make it through........3 hits is the answer it seems lol.

Jennipeg

Now that i've finished Horizon, i'm getting back into World of Final Fantasy. I've just got to the final boss, but I think i'm under levelled, does anyone know a good levelling spot? I've searched, but the best ones only become available post game.

(Also I can not wait to get my hands on XII in July)

SilverArrow20XX

Starting Final Fantasy X-2 today. Thankfully, the trophy list looks a lot better than X's. I was expecting a "learn all abilities on all jobs with everybody" trophy after Perfect Sphere Master, but there's just a "learn all abilities on one job" one.

Gonna do a 100% playthrough and then do a NG+ focused on creature creations.

So I've been replaying FFVII for the first time in years. I'm enjoying it on the Vita, which seems like the best way to play PS1 games nowadays. I've played this game several times (was my entry point into the series back in 97) but I have never actually beaten Emerald/Ruby Weapon despite beating pretty much all the other FF superbosses.

Anyway, I'm at the point where the team heads back to Midgar at just about the end of disc 2. I generally like the story in VII; I still feel somewhat moved by Aerith's death, and as a big fan of the "unreliable narrator" trope, I think the revelations about what really happened in Nibelheim are pretty masterful (the way the main theme crescendos when Cloud tosses Sephiroth into the Lifestream...).

However, this playthrough made me realize that the latter parts of the game are actually pretty awful. Virtually everything after Cloud rejoins the party is total filler at best. Maybe it's problems with the translation, but the game never explains what exactly "huge materia" is, why it's important, or why we are fighting so hard to prevent Shinra from carrying out their plans. It's like they ran out of time/money and just came up with some halfassed scenario that could reuse assets/areas from earlier in the game to extend playtime. Why am I fighting and trying to stop Shinra from using the rocket to destroy Meteor? Why do we need these huge materia just so they can sit in Cosmo Canyon doing practically nothing for the rest of the game? There's like an offhand line from someone about how these huge materia contain a lot of important ancient knowledge. Well, if we actually learned something from all of these pointless endeavors that helped us defeat Sephiroth it wouldn't be so lame. It's hilarious that Cloud and co. are still so set on fighting Shinra when if it wasn't for the Sister Ray, they would never have been able to fight Sephiroth in the first place.

Arthea

Job Levels are very important, even more so than actual Character Levels. (For the most part, higher Job Levels = Higher Damage output)

For the Viking, it increases the chances of Provoke landing successfully.
(The idea with Provoke is that the Viking tries to force the IG into single-target attacks against him with 2x Shields; but he's still gonna do AoE attacks eventually. This just reduces damage to the rest of the Party.)

For Bards, it increases the power of their Songs.
(The idea here is that you the Requiem Song to shave off the IG's HP until it gets to a certain point, then use the Minne Song to try to keep everyone alive from Swipes/Meteors.)

As mentioned, Onion Knights are very powerful, but are late-bloomers; they don't get REALLY good until the late 90s.
However, the Onion Gear gives Stat Bonuses that offset their low Stats prior to that, so they can be pretty good.

By the way, if you're gonna level grind, make sure to use Black Belts (or a Job with high VIT).
While Job Stats are predetermined at all levels, the one stat you do have control over is HP.
HP Growth is based off your current VIT when you Level Up, so more VIT = More HP per Level. You'll start seeing significant gains after a point.

started training on dragons, found a way to do that without deaths, but it's very slow way, also like 90% of fights are against red one, even slower, and I'm not showered in onion equipment either so far. Well, I guess money and elixirs will be handy, as I plan using ninja for all hard fights (close to 80lvl job for it now). Still haven't reached even 70 lvls though.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Maybe it's problems with the translation, but the game never explains what exactly "huge materia" is, why it's important, or why we are fighting so hard to prevent Shinra from carrying out their plans.
Huge Materia is first mentioned in an optional scene at the Gongaga reactor in Disc 1. When the Cloud-less party overhears Scarlet talking about the Huge Materia plan, she says how absurdly powerful it is compared to regular materia is (how chucking said things at giant space rock unleashes said power I don't know). Obviously letting Shinra get away with harassing the people of Corel or Condor wasn't gonna happen. Once Cloud returns continuing to fight Shinra's kinda the only thing to do and why let perfectly good materia go to waste? An while the party doesn't know this at the time, ending up stealing a sub would be to their benefit later on. In fact they actually leave the sub Huge Materia behind and ya never actually have ta go collect it!

Why am I fighting and trying to stop Shinra from using the rocket to destroy Meteor? Why do we need these huge materia just so they can sit in Cosmo Canyon doing practically nothing for the rest of the game?
They really shoulda put 'em on the airship for quick & easy access. Why they rest in Cosmo Canyon I think maybe is so players head back there potentially with Red XIII in the party which would let them come across an optional story scene and his ultimate weapon.

It's hilarious that Cloud and co. are still so set on fighting Shinra when if it wasn't for the Sister Ray, they would never have been able to fight Sephiroth in the first place.
To be fair Midgar was gonna blow up if they didn't go in there and shut that cannon down!

Overall I think the Huge Materia quest was following the FF tradition of "go collect/restore/whatever X amount of Crystals". Its part in the game was great, each section is pretty short honestly. Plus they tied up some of the party members stories. Disc 2 itself is rather short but way more action packed! I love it personally!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
YeWyF1y.jpg
msGEGcU.jpg

The hecks goin' on here? The mission was a success an everyone took some time off for R&R. This makes people wary of Sephiroth why?

wYOhByc.jpg
AdbX66y.jpg
x6hVqtk.jpg

The guys a famous war hero and this shade being thrown at him seems completely outta nowhere. "Hey come save our town from monsters - but don't stay a second longer than needed."

P3ADd9f.jpg

What heads Into the mansion to find Sephiroth and let him know they're not wanted in town any longer. However a piano is found! And my eyes always just kinda glaze over when I see this kinda instruction dump. x.x

TcXQhm0.jpg
1JXLkIg.jpg

He's not on the first floor but he was spotted on the second. The trick here is obvious! Secret hidden passage!

2QZ8Jjn.jpg
kN2IIGL.jpg

To a super dreary basement! Sephiorth's just chilling down here reading books. He's literate! That's a good thing! An yet those guys out front won't let What and the grunt out, forcing 'em to sleep in that creepy old mansion.

cAc9CIG.jpg
ePRlnSf.jpg
vxs5bLY.jpg

4VSTWVD.jpg
EYFtoxD.jpg
TJyR5kz.jpg

A nights sleep later, What heads back ta check in out Sephiroth, who's more chatty this time around! Sadly, he's kinda acting like a dick an playing the blame game. Even so, if Gast produced him that rules out the idea of him being a pod person right? Since that was Hojo's pet project. He oughta cheer up!

EzRsKVd.jpg
TtMDlNe.jpg

Well that escalated fast! It escalated right into...

jkCbCY2.jpg

...the face millions of fangirls fell in love with!

daro69i.jpg
iqMb1O0.jpg
d25BWPT.jpg

Somehow still Level 1 What makes it through all the baddies on Mt. Nible to reach the reactor by himself an we encounter a familiar scene!

aAXe04u.jpg

Ohhh? Do we have somebody here wielding Sephiroth's sword? Somebody who in the future says only he can use it?

2diq1LS.jpg
FFGrrgk.jpg
qdcYcD5.jpg

Umm well, er... she tried. But wait. What did come to This rescue when she needed it! So why in the heck was she guilting him way back after the first reactor job????

V7LipIj.jpg
4DdYqGx.jpg

At the same time, Sephiroth unleashes SYMBOLISM upon the world in his quest to look at yet another thing inside a strange container!

t8N4Y3G.jpg
jKtfZlx.jpg
cTsMv5Z.jpg

With him being the last person standing, the time is ripe for a big showdown between What and Sephiroth!!

ajwPt0B.jpg

????????????

BLePtT6.jpg
1KFbtQe.jpg

What forgot what happened. An here we have a possible case of [fake news] from big media run by big electric company government. However, that wouldn't explain how President Shinra, Hojo and others legitimately thought he was dead. Even Rufus mentioned Sephiroth was an Ancient, yet everyone acted as if Look was the last living Ancient.

lHMzd0k.jpg
QCYZSjn.jpg

You had enough of these half-baked stories and ran off ta get some fresh air while What and This do alil extra recollecting. Anyhow its time to blow this joint! What's given a cellphone for easy party member shuffling and its time ta head all the way back to that cave past the marsh!

AThWvDy.jpg

What's bird bargaining skills don't pan out this time around and it runs off after being dismounted -.-

pAOrVE8.jpg
9vWaQM8.jpg

Finally allowed ta progress through the rest of the cave, the party encounters an ambush by the Turks! They aren't looking for a fight, heck their newest member is quite a blabbermouth an give What and the others some direction on where to head next!

D9gslsR.jpg

Rude lets 'em know that Reno wants a rematch, while Tseng is being written out of the story? I dunno. Doesn't seem as though taking the last Ancient into custody again is on his schedule anymore.

0vgQSRJ.jpg

With the exit a quick climb away the other side of the eastern continent has been reached! Could that place right in front of us be Junon Harbor? Let's find out!

MTC100

Banned
I've heard VI was pretty amazing, I started it ages ago but never played more than about half an hour, that's definitely something I'd like to play on the Switch though...

I have 2, 6, 7, 8, and 13 (and 13-2 and 13-3) unbeaten and mostly unplayed in any way, which should I start with? I've already beat 1, 3, 4, 5, 9, 10, 10-2, and 12.

Arthea

I have 2, 6, 7, 8, and 13 (and 13-2 and 13-3) unbeaten and mostly unplayed in any way, which should I start with? I've already beat 1, 3, 4, 5, 9, 10, 10-2, and 12.

I'd start with 2, and if you play it without going out of your way to break it, it's not a bad game.

If we talk about must plays: 6-7 of that list, 8 is kinda an acquired taste.
13 trilogy isn't that bad as people would make you believe, but not that great either.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
interested if you're going to be returning to "Junon" at all possible opportunities
Thats one of the things I've never done in a playthrough. Is this something I should rectify?

Having never played it, I say go 2! If only to fill in that gap ya got with 1/-/3/4/5!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

7 first.

8 should be done last. Its a very unorthodox game that is very different from the rest of the series. Not in a completely good or bad way, just...in a weird way.

tonka

Thats one of the things I've never done in a playthrough. Is this something I should rectify?

Having never played it, I say go 2! If only to fill in that gap ya got with 1/-/3/4/5!

I mean, maybe do the whole sidequest once. It's a LOT of backtracking, sometimes at incredibly pace destroying moments, but I found it fun to do the strategy game part, and there is some degree of rewards from every battle

Oh man, did they ruin Catnip in X-2 International. I know it was a cheesy, abusable accessory, but c'mon, you didn't have to gimp it so badly, Squenix.

D9gslsR.jpg

Rude lets 'em know that Reno wants a rematch, while Tseng is being written out of the story? I dunno. Doesn't seem as though taking the last Ancient into custody again is on his schedule anymore.

You know, I always found it weird how Tseng was written in the original game. His first appearance is him slapping Aerith around and taunting the player for being unable to save Sector 7. He acts as the leader of the Turks and yet he's the one who you never face due to him seemingly(but not really) being killed by Sephiroth part way through the game. I really wonder how they're going to handle him in the Remake, especially given how kindly they treated him in Crisis Core.

SilverArrow20XX

Oh man, did they ruin Catnip in X-2 International. I know it was a cheesy, abusable accessory, but c'mon, you didn't have to gimp it so badly, Squenix.

Yup. It now berserks you too, so no spamming special moves like trigger happy. Look forward to many many hours more grinding to complete the hardest bosses.

I'm still early in my X-2 HD playthrough. I was planning on leaving creature creation stuff to a second playthrough, but now I read that I need to fight an oversouled version of Paragon to finish the bestiary. No way I'm doing the via infinito twice.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
HWHtyWp.jpg

When in an expansive new area, why not get to know the land and local wildlife before rushing head first into plot? This critter for instance is Nerosuferoth and it attacks with hot wings! Or hot wing? I'm guessing this Suferoth is one-winged.

sr0fzav.jpg
Y8fKS1A.jpg
sws2sAU.jpg

Places of interest! Unlike that place we first saw, this ones right up against the sea. Gonna guess this is Junon Harbor! Over on a nearby island there's a big old building sitting around. And just across the river is another cave. What, can't you swim across shallow water? C'mon!

iKDbfXg.jpg
08EJgny.jpg

The party got lost in a forest for a couple of hours and discovered a couple of things. 1.) making these things smaller doesn't make 'em any less powerful. and 2.) Look can learn an ability to make 'em straight up invincible! I approve of such hax!

XnMOWia.jpg
AKBcN76.jpg
YMvsKYP.jpg

Upon finding their way out they climbed the hill to see what was up with it. Battlefield? Shinra? Hmmm. Shrina is anti-bird and that's just no good!

043jG7p.jpg

btw signing on to help these people nets ya free place to sleep #1!

rsJbzKO.jpg

Thats one big bird and egg! Surely no ill-effects could come from being cooked... I mean hatched on top of a reactor?

cJRT0lp.jpg

Well thats a gloomy outlook. These people are broke and rely on contributions from outsiders to hire soldiers to fight back. What decides to donate a whole bunch of money earned when they were lost in the forest. An not just that, but take tactical command of the battlefield himself!

mvUKnXP.jpg
wJHTGMi.jpg

Ya can hire a variety of people and machines directly to the mountain while the enemy is marching on it. I dunno how that works but I'm glad it does! Seems like the idea here is to capture territory by placing dudes as low as ya can at the start and having 'em march downhill.

RDpmAs5.jpg
yiAqLMd.jpg

The further down the initial group gets, the further down you can start placing new units in! Baddies'll be swarmed almost the moment they appear an victory for the good guys will be assured! Babby's first war has been won! And with it comes spoils, this time its a weapon for FF XIII! Finally, everyones on their second or third weapon upgrade!

6b2sjiD.jpg
ezIa6a3.jpg
ipyjZLA.jpg

Anyways, Junon ya? Not much ta see or do here. No ones seen a dude in a black cape around, an we learn this place is like a Midgar-lite in that there's a town above this one. Can have abit of fun climbing and jumping off the worlds tallest bed however!

SEBIK8b.jpg

Down at the beach is a Shinra hating little girl who's training a dolphin! That is... until a monster attacks! Gotta save her!

RQ1ElBW.jpg
5fkDKYy.jpg

Bottomswell is outta range of normal attacks unless ya got a long range solution. A better solutions just to blast it with magic! And be sure to pop those bubbles! For being the first post-Midgar boss, its not super impressive.

ZwCNAhw.jpg
EjLRWux.jpg

While the crew was fighting, the girl was drowning! Oops! Gotta save her! The makeshift CPR works and the reward is a free nights sleep!

JPmBdDD.jpg
sTS3xyC.jpg
NULeJb9.jpg

Oh great, its happening again. A free nights sleep doesn't assure a good nights sleep! An it wasn't even worth the trouble since This doesn't got an answer!

pe0TkmI.jpg
vqeZ1m6.jpg
2TWo17c.jpg

Priscilla is awake and well, and has the scoop on what's happening up above! While they haven't been chasing Rufus its prolly a good idea to get up there an see what's cooking.

XJ8QL8N.jpg
qZC0cyK.jpg
7xhAaV1.jpg

And so this is how What was literally thrown to the sharks, or dolphins as the case may be!

nwmRKro.jpg
NX314d3.jpg

Fearing a shocking death at sea, What runs all the way back to Fort Condor by himself to relive past glories. For winning at war he recieves a peace ring!

PTsLhaF.jpg
ww6mLGM.jpg

Wait, What can swim? So he could technically go check out that cave... that motherf....

cdZh186.jpg
PrSucY3.jpg

Time to take out that frustration on more Shinra dudes after quickly checking out our supply situation!

C5qwoJf.jpg

Tinctures? I remember those from FFVI. They restored 50 mp right? Kinda pointless in this game since Ethers restore 100 an the games been practically drowning me in free ones.

DfRCNA8.jpg

Oh.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Good ol' tinctures.

Later on you'll encounter "Last Elixir". When I was 10, I thought it was some cosmically deep statement on environmentalism. Somehow.

When I was 10, I thought literally everything in FF7 was cosmically deep.

Yup. It now berserks you too, so no spamming special moves like trigger happy. Look forward to many many hours more grinding to complete the hardest bosses.

I'm still early in my X-2 HD playthrough. I was planning on leaving creature creation stuff to a second playthrough, but now I read that I need to fight an oversouled version of Paragon to finish the bestiary. No way I'm doing the via infinito twice.

One of the reasons I bought the PC version was that the turbo mode made the grind a bit less tedious. Running around the via infinto on x4 speed is like watching Benny Hill on crack. I can then switch the save to the Vita and get my trophies. Always wanted to platinum the remasters, but it's so tedious. I will do it, though. I'm on the last leg of the fiend arena grind. Have all the cups bar the last one, just need to beat the ones I haven't done yet to get the final arena tournament. Then I recruit some old favourites from FFX in my team.

I was due to switch to Persona 5 this weekend, ordered it from Amazon a week ago when they said they were getting a shipment in on May 12th. 2 days go by and their lies about it being delivered have changed to "sometime in June." So, yay! More Final Fantasy, I guess. Damn, was I SO looking forward to playing Persona 5, but oh well! Not paying the digital price, it's too much. Back to FFX-2.

Just finished replaying VII for the first time in years. Quick thoughts:

-Beat Emerald & Ruby for the first time. They were hilariously easy. I guess I shouldn't have used Knights of the Round? I feel like avoiding using it would make the time I spent getting a gold chocobo pointless. In retrospect, all of the FF "superbosses" are pretty easy. I think Ozma was the only one that ever took multiple attempts for me.

-I feel like the crater is pretty weak as far as FF final dungeons go. It tries to set up this concept of using multiple parties but is never very interesting in the way that Kefka's Tower is. In VI, you had to create balanced parties that needed to be switched back and forth to/from in order to open areas for the other group. In VII, it just serves as a way to get extra items that you could get yourself by backtracking (the crater isn't even a very large dungeon). It also just adds the annoyance of being unable to switch party members without leaving the entire crater, which sucks as the swamp looking areas are the best grinding spot in the game. The crater also doesn't measure up with places like Ultimecia's Castle or Memoria in terms of visual grandeur. It's just a boring cavern.

-The final bosses are too easy, but again, this is mostly keeping with series tradition. The music is great, though. Birth of a God is secretly the better of the two Sephiroth battle tracks.

-I was distracted during the scripted battle where Cloud is supposed to Omnislash Sephiroth and didn't input the command before he attacked me. Cloud then automatically countered and won. I didn't even know that could happen.

-I like how the original ending to VII was actually fairly ambiguous as far as the fate of humanity. I guess that's pretty much out the window with the compilation, though.

-Overall, I would say that VII is still an excellent game with all kinds of weird quirks that will probably be lost in the remake. Probably my third favorite behind IX and VI.

Interfectum

Playing through FF7 now, man people talk about how badly the graphics have aged but the story and dialogue are also horridly dated. Cringe city.

It's crazy how much better FF7 is in my memory vs reality.

Playing through FF7 now, man people talk about how badly the graphics have aged but the story and dialogue are also horridly dated. Cringe city.

I mean it's a JRPG lol. The writing has always been bad, but I find the stories enjoyable. I also don't really pay that much attention to how well written videogames are because they're usually not and I'm just so used to that.

jb1234

It's crazy how much better FF7 is in my memory vs reality.

FFVII's translation is stiff and awkward. I often wonder how much better the story and characters would have come across with a better team localizing it.

Kwixotik

Complete: IV, V, VI, VII, XI, XIV
Current: XV
What remains: I, II, III, VIII, IX, X, XII, Tactics
XIII doesn't exist

I've played significant amounts of VIII and XII in the past, but plan on starting fresh and beating them on principle. Currently playing XV, on chapter 7 or 8 and around 30 hours in.

Kind of wondering if I, II, and III are worth my time?

Fou-Lu

I and II can be fun, especially if you can get ahold of the PSP versions. I think they may be available on phones. I had a ton of fun with them.

III I didn't enjoy any where near as much, but it might have been a combination of having played I and II right beforehand and playing the DS version which I have been led to believe is worse.

Have you actually given XIII a shot before? I enjoyed it, but I can see why people may not.

Kwixotik

I and II can be fun, especially if you can get ahold of the PSP versions. I think they may be available on phones. I had a ton of fun with them.

III I didn't enjoy any where near as much, but it might have been a combination of having played I and II right beforehand and playing the DS version which I have been led to believe is worse.

Have you actually given XIII a shot before? I enjoyed it, but I can see why people may not.

Yeah, I played like 20 hours of it when it came out. Not knocking people that do like it or saying it's a bad game, but it's just not my bag at all. Story is pretty low on what makes a JRPG great for me and XIII had way too much of it. By the time I got to the open world, I was burned out and even there the mechanics/gameplay just weren't engaging me.

Nairume

Banned
Complete: IV, V, VI, VII, XI, XIV
Current: XV
What remains: I, II, III, VIII, IX, X, XII, Tactics
XIII doesn't exist

I've played significant amounts of VIII and XII in the past, but plan on starting fresh and beating them on principle. Currently playing XV, on chapter 7 or 8 and around 30 hours in.

Kind of wondering if I, II, and III are worth my time?
I is as great of a game as it ever was. Any given remake has cleaned up its biggest warts, but even the NES original is honestly still playable today.

II is an acquired taste, but unless you have the patience for how it handles character building, you're going to probably hit a wall early on in it.

III is something that I finally warmed up to after replaying it a few months ago. It's worth experiencing for sure, as there is a lot about it to admire, but it also is the one game in the series to have to contend with a later game in the series effectively being it but better. This might be even more apparent if you are fresh off a replay of V.

Top Bottom