• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8-4 Play 10/28/2010: SUPER GAME MASTERS

Gomu Gomu

bYNbs.jpg

8-4 Play 10/28/2010: SUPER GAME MASTERS
To celebrate the 25th anniversary of the NES, 8-4 invites retro gaming legend Kevin "tsr" Gifford, founder of tsr's NES archive and keeper of the world's largest collection of obscure game knowledge, to take us back (back... back...) to the 80s to talk about the birth of the era's most popular 8-Bit system. But before that, listen to round-ups of the recent Level-5 and Grasshopper events in Japan, thoughts on Costume Quest, Vanquish, Limbo, La Mulana, and Game Dev Story, and the sad tale of Mr. Gifford's epic attempt to clear the Tower of Druaga on a single coin...​

MP3: http://traffic.libsyn.com/eightfour/...006_101028.mp3
3 Hours fuck yeah :D

Episode already in iTunes.
1UP page: http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3181465
8-4 blog: http://8-4.jp/blog/?lang=en
RSS: http://eightfour.libsyn.com/rss

websites still not updated for some reason.

edit: Thanks GhaleonQ for the links.

Jetku

I am about an hour in.

Not a fan of TSR. I don't enjoy his many interjections and rants, and I don't like how he tries to relate too many topics to retro games.

I strongly disagree with idea of him becoming a regular...

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Cool stuff, will listen to it in a bit.

One thing I noticed about this podcast is how they all are "THIS IS ABOUT JAPANESE GAMES" Yet they all seem to hate Japanese games :lol (unless theyre old or Monster Hunter, obviously)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Jetku said:
I am about an hour in.

Not a fan of TSR. I don't enjoy his many interjections and rants, and I don't like how he tries to relate too many topics to retro games.

I strongly disagree with idea of him becoming a regular...

Kevin Gifford of magweasel and video-fenky (the latter being the site that led me to GAF) was TSR??? I used to visit the NES archive all the time back in the day! Mind blown!

GhaleonQ

john tv said:
Actually, we'll talk to them in person so fear not. :)

BIG QUESTION MARK AND EXCLAMATION MARK.

You're friendly with Wada, right?

djtiesto said:
Kevin Gifford of magweasel and video-fenky (the latter being the site that led me to GAF) was TSR??? I used to visit the NES archive all the time back in the day! Mind blown!

I have no idea how he makes reading about what's in magazines interesting, but he does!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Downloading on Zune now. 3 hours?! It'll take me a whole week to get through this hahahaha

RS4-

Blargh, the itunes link on the 1up page doesn't work, neither does the actual subscribe link in itunes :lol

Great episode. You saved me from going postal being stuck in traffic for 90 minutes this morning!

However, you lose points for making me go buy a bunch of shit on VC tonight.

Empty

three hour long epic podcasts remind me fondly of the glory days of 1up yours. looking forward to biting into this episode.

john tv

RS4- said:
Blargh, the itunes link on the 1up page doesn't work, neither does the actual subscribe link in itunes :lol
It works for me...? What happens when you click it?

BTW, I totally lost the bet about the Player's Guide. In my mind I was just arguing that the game was mentioned in the book (it was) but I wasn't specifically thinking of screenshots. Only after I listened to it again did I realize I actually started out talking about actual screens. I owe you 8 yen, Gifford!

Started to listen to this episode on the last leg of work tonight and man, am I super excited to listen to the rest. They bring a different flavor and the interactions of the entire cast is just awesome. Thank god for 8-4 and WAHP. Finally giving me some awesome podcasts.

RS4-

john tv said:
It works for me...? What happens when you click it?

BTW, I totally lost the bet about the Player's Guide. In my mind I was just arguing that the game was mentioned in the book (it was) but I wasn't specifically thinking of screenshots. Only after I listened to it again did I realize I actually started out talking about actual screens. I owe you 8 yen, Gifford!

Works for me now; in itunes it was just giving me errors as if the link didn't work; while the 1up page just gave me uhh...those usual blank pages as if you clicked a dead link lol.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
sprsk said:
Oh yes, just a few more weeks. 5 hour Monster Hunter Mega Podcast no sleep till Jhen Ogre.

BTW, nice job! It has to be hard keeping up with guys that are used to being on podcasts from years back, hell, if you asked me to vocally elaborate why a game is or isnt good in 20 seconds when Im used to taking my time writing about it on the internet, Id get stuck too.

Also, congrats on the baby news :)

Edit: if you guys could elaborate what needs "fixing" in Monster Hunter in order for US players to embrace it, that would be coo.l The few times thats been mentioned in previous podcasts its been mostly glossed over and in my view American game design would probably kill the series.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I kind of felt like the game discussion in this episode was a little too shallow. I kind of dug the long-ass Castlevania discussion last week, for instance.

But yeah, as per usual, still a great listen and it was missed last week.

Gomu Gomu

Half way through, Love it as usual :D . That Gifford guy is cool. I love his anecdotes and his style. I've learned so much in 90 minutes. If he lives in Japan, I wouldn't mind making him a permanent fourth er fifth member of the cast.

Chairhome

Hey, I liked Monster Party. The worst part was that I always got stuck at the part where the zombies say, "Watch us dance" cause I kept hitting them.

I just started listening to this based on GAFs recommendation and it is definitely one of my favorite gaming podcasts now. I even went into the archives for an episode or two. Keep up the good podcasting!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm a fan of Kevin and he has an interesting podcast presense. Great ep!

Hmm. Sexy PR rep pics not in the show notes? Subscription in danger.

Also, hearing rocky top in this podcast as a person who lives in TN was unexpected and terrifying.

novery

Sprsk: I also remember that anecdote about Miyamoto being depressed during the development of Super Mario Bros. 2. (Was he trolling Nintendo fanboys way back in 1986?)

That note about his depression was from this Slate article, I think:

http://www.slate.com/id/2177082

Top Bottom