• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2017 - MASH ALL THE BUTTONS 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

AssCreed > 2 ~ Brotherhood > Syndicate > Unity > Black Flag > Revelations > Rogue > 3. I'd probably put Rogue ahead of Revelations if it weren't for the Colonial America setting; it's my least favourite by a country mile.

You liked the first one the most? How come? Was it the setting? The cast? The way you perform assassinations?

AssCreed > 2 ~ Brotherhood > Syndicate > Unity > Black Flag > Revelations > Rogue > 3. I'd probably put Rogue ahead of Revelations if it weren't for the Colonial America setting; it's my least favourite by a country mile.

I remember not liking 1 and have only played 2/3/Brotherhood and Blackflag but Black flag was my least favorite. I like the concept of sailing and finding treasure, however in ubisoft games treasure is pointless and is just there as a +1 to achievement.

Regginator

Yo guys, I have 30 minutes until my €10 expire on Xbox Live. Should I get Perfect Dark of Symphony of the Night? I'm inclinded towards the latter because I've never played it, whereas I've played an hour or two of Perfect Dark... yay or nay?

gurm3n

Neo Member
Assassin's Creed is fucking insane. Who at Ubisoft thought it would be so much fun for us players to go through the same bullshit again and again, doing the same routine for the next 15 hours jesus almighty.

Hahahah, my thoughts exactly. I remember completing all the high points and the citizen defense spots in every city and wanting to end my life shortly after. I can't even imagine collecting all the flags and other kinds of bullshit content.

fun fact: The PC version is the least repetitive of them all. You heard that right, the console version is even more of repeatfest

How is that? Are there more achievements in the console versions?

I wish Valve had a price filter on games. Filtering the indie tag is too broad, but not filtering it leaves thousands(?) of sub-$5 bundlewear games cluttering everything.

Here's hoping that the redesign doesn't make it much worse.
Yo guys, I have 30 minutes until my €10 expire on Xbox Live. Should I get Perfect Dark of Symphony of the Night?

Yes! Godspeed.

But more seriously, if you mean Perfect Dark Zero, go for SotN.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You liked the first one the most? How come? Was it the setting? The cast? The way you perform assassinations?

Between the information gathering, deciding how best to use said information when confronting the target and, to a lesser extent, multi-enemy combat encounters actually being tough if you don't cheese them with the hidden blade, I feel it succeeds the most at making the player feel like an actual assassin: someone who's skilled but not to the degree that they're some sort of omnipotent demigod.

Ganyc

Yo guys, I have 30 minutes until my €10 expire on Xbox Live. Should I get Perfect Dark of Symphony of the Night? I'm inclinded towards the latter because I've never played it, whereas I've played an hour or two of Perfect Dark... yay or nay?

Symphony of the Night

Tizoc

Perfect dark gets my vote tbh.

cyba89

Nex Machina, the new Housemarque twin-stick shooter is 30% off when you own Outland. That's pretty cheap and it's getting great reviews. On the other hand I have enough games at the moment and summer sale starts this week. mmmh...

Also it's:
Brotherhood > 2 > Unity > 1 > 3 > Black Flag > Revelations

Only played Syndicate and Rogue like two hours each. Played every game til Unity at release but after that the series just lost me. Can't even get excited for Origins anymore.

Between the information gathering, deciding how best to use said information when confronting the target and, to a lesser extent, multi-enemy combat encounters actually being tough if you don't cheese them with the hidden blade, I feel it succeeds the most at making the player feel like an actual assassin: someone who's skilled but not to the degree that they're some sort of omnipotent demigod.

yep

It also felt relatively novel to me at the time.

JakeD

SOTN. great game that holds up well and PD is in Rare replay pack which is always heavily discounted. it was even free last week (possibly still?)

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

One of those games is a bad shooter from the N64 and one is a classic Metroidvania that is a revered title in a series full of such titles.

It's SotN and it isn't close. Anyone saying otherwise is crazy. No reason for anyone to play Perfect Dark again, but plenty of reasons to see, hear and play SotN.

I thought SOTN on 360 had some cut content due to filesize limits back in the day.

The only thing I know about is there was a patch that removed the awesomely-terrible "I am the Wind" song from the ending credits due to licensing issues. AFAIK the port is a very good way to play the game. Though it has issues (weird ass hitboxes on some enemies), they are not so bad. There isn't really a "perfect" verison of the game since each release is weird in its own way.

MUnited83

For you.

The one thing I'd like to return from AC1 would really be the tight timing on the hidden blade counter. If you want a instant kill, you need decent timing instead of just pressing counter three years before the attack connects.

Regginator

Thanks guys, I went for Symphony. Very excited to play this for the first time.

With my luck we'll be getting a €5 PC release next week.

JaseC

I remember not liking 1 and have only played 2/3/Brotherhood and Blackflag but Black flag was my least favorite. I like the concept of sailing and finding treasure, however in ubisoft games treasure is pointless and is just there as a +1 to achievement.

I'd hoped uncharted islands would have a more prominent role in Black Flag. IIRC, they're all tiny and just host an animus fragment or chest.

Coreda

One of those games is a bad shooter from the N64. Anyone saying otherwise is crazy. No reason for anyone to play Perfect Dark again.

I wonder what control scheme you used and these impressions are based on the single or multiplayer. The multiplayer was only thing I loved about it. Can't imagine playing it on anything but a 64 controller though, the 1.2 control scheme with that layout was just right.

Wok

that's a very nice article, it still omits games nobody played that are good, I have quite a few such in mind when reading about lists and how they are still popularity lists even hidden gems ones, like CAVYHOUSE games for example

I wanted to check the ranking of the games which you mention (maybe their Wilson score is lower, but their popularity score would make them appear in the ranking), but I got banned from SteamDB for DDOSing scraping their pages for the whole Steam catalog. Oops.
I should have foreseen this. So, well, it is not possible, I guess.

Meanwhile, I have received an answer from SteamDB and found out about SteamSpy's API. Here is the ranking (the higher in the ranking, the closer to being a hidden gem) for the whole Steam catalog:
https://gist.github.com/woctezuma/9cea3a93fd5cba2f1b876864a0dc8854

Nfg7My1.png

B9K0gnw.png

Edit: I have done the same procedure gauging popularity based on median playtime instead of the number of players, and results look very similar:
https://gist.github.com/woctezuma/b14187941c95114a769556fa052bfefc

JaseC

I do think AssCreed 1 had the best kill animations.

3 has some brutal ones, especially with the tomahawk. My absolute favourite, though, would have to be the double kill in Black Flag/Rogue where you run up behind two enemies walking in a line and jump from one to the other with the help of your swords.

Coreda

What keeps you coming back if it seems it all goes downhill from the first game?

xPaw

SteamDB developer and generally a pretty crafty guy.
Improvements to Steam client connectivity on networks where custom UDP/TCP ports are blocked

This is a surprisingly big change, as it'll use websockets. This probably means it would be possible to communicate with Steam CM servers in a web browser (think SteamKit in a browser).

There's a possibility that the new ClientUI that Valve is working on will actually be accessible in a browser, as this UI seems to be entirely web based.

JaseC

What keeps you coming back if it seems it all goes downhill from the first game?

The historical tourism element, primarily. I honestly don't think I'd be interested in an AssCreed set entirely in the present, but, fortunately, I don't see that happening as it'd encroach into territory now occupied by Watch Dogs.

Parsnip

There's certain purity to the first Assassin's Creed and its dedication to the actual assassinations, finding the information you need and using it to your advantage.

Arthea

Meanwhile, I have received an answer from SteamDB and found out about SteamSpy's API. Here is the ranking (the higher in the ranking, the closer to being a hidden gem) for the whole Steam catalog:
https://gist.github.com/woctezuma/9cea3a93fd5cba2f1b876864a0dc8854

Nfg7My1.png

B9K0gnw.png

Edit: I have done the same procedure gauging popularity based on median playtime instead of the number of players, and results look very similar:
https://gist.github.com/woctezuma/b14187941c95114a769556fa052bfefc

both your links aren't working for me for some reason.

... as I said, nobody played. Then again, no wonder, there are so many games, that quite a few good, especially strange ones will be overlooked, that's just how it is.

I didn't expect Black Flag being quite so low, I remember you liking it a lot. Or maybe you just posted about it more.

Wok

both your links aren't working for me for some reason.

It could be because the pages are huge so they take some time to download.

You can right-click and download the .md file directly:

... as I said, nobody played. Then again, no wonder, there are so many games, that quite a few good, especially strange ones will be overlooked, that's just how it is.

You are talking about the hidden hidden gems there, that is the games which are hidden gems in a ranking of hidden gems.

I see the base price for Far Cry 4 is down to 30, so the change of it hitting 10 or less is pretty good, especially since they are selling FC5 pre-orders.

To the folks asking about Primal, it's very pretty, preforms better than console, has great outposts and scripted scenes. Heading toward the Blue boss with the soundtrack pumping was epic. It's much better than Blood Dragon and I'd definitely say it deserved its full price game status. Dragon was novel but so nudge nudge I rank it as the worst entry.

Teggy

I'm trying to finish Metroid Zero Mission before tomorrow and I thought I beat the final boss. But it turns out I was wrong and the game is kind of annoying now.

I watched some footage of Get Even and it looks really interesting. Given it was supposed to come out a month ago I'm surprised there are no reviews. Maybe that's a bad thing.

Tizoc

I'm trying to finish Metroid Zero Mission before tomorrow and I thought I beat the final boss. But it turns out I was wrong and the game is kind of annoying now.

I watched some footage of Get Even and it looks really interesting. Given it was supposed to come out a month ago I'm surprised there are no reviews. Maybe that's a bad thing.
No it wa delayed due to the manchester incident.
Review embargo may go up in a day or so.

MUnited83

For you.
With those recent changes to steam connectivity, assuming it's universal to the whole client, does it mean you could make Steam Addons ala EnhancedSteam Standalone but having the ability of having scripts that work on the sections it wasn't possible before? Like adding completely new views to sort you library in?

Nzyme32

Soooooo..... am I seeing things or has Steam changed a little bit?

Background of the store page has a weird glass like reflection to it.. also there seems to be a bit of a transition on the store page when images get loaded up at once.......

or maybe it's because I haven't used Steam for a little while now.

A little bird told me that Valve was toying with the idea of tying the beta into a meta-game in some manner. First-wave access shortly after the sale ends would make the most sense, assuming the client is far enough along.

Neat. I can probably dig this kind of approach - assuming I can make some time for it, though it depends on how intricate of a meta-game we're talking

Teggy

Weird...I own everything with "Arma 2" in the title except for actual Arma 2 (and Combined Operations). Not sure how I managed that.

Edit: actually combined operations is Arma 2 and operation arrowhead, and I own operation arrowhead, so I literally own every Arma 2 item except Arma 2.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Can I ask something to the learned minds of Steam-GAF that I've been wondering about for a while? What the hell happened to L4D3? I remember reading in this thread that someone had been at Valve and learned they were testing it... and I think that was like two years ago. So what's your best theory? Didn't test well? They went in a new direction? Had to add VR stuff? Or maybe it's just been in the polish stages for a while?

I keep expecting it to be announced any day but maybe that's just naive.

Cels

my steam inventory page when i'm running the actual client (whether it's skinned or unskinned) is super sluggish. i open a booster pack and try to refresh the page and it hangs.

but when i do the same thing and access my steam inventory on chrome, everything is fine. what gives?

Can I ask something to the learned minds of Steam-GAF that I've been wondering about for a while? What the hell happened to L4D3? I remember reading in this thread that someone had been at Valve and learned they were testing it... and I think that was like two years ago. So what's your best theory? Didn't test well? They went in a new direction? Had to add VR stuff? Or maybe it's just been in the polish stages for a while?

expecting anything that's not DOTA out of Valve is a fool's errand

Tellaerin

I'll play an Assassin's Creed game one of these days. Yet another of those "big franchise games I'll get around to trying eventually". Splinter Cell's another one of those. (I think I may have played a little bit of one once, a very long time ago, but it's been so long now that I can't recall whether it was a full game or just a demo I tried.)

Phawx

You are talking about the hidden hidden gems there, that is the games which are hidden gems in a ranking of hidden gems.

Need to find the super hidden hidden gems.

Seems like it would be possible to find hidden hidden gems by only showing 1 genre of game.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Enhanced Steam has been updated to version 9.4. This release includes the following new features and bug fixes:
  • Added the ability to create custom user-configurable profile links
  • Updated the visual style of app page elements to more closely match Valve's new style
  • Fixed a bug that caused some market items not to display features correctly in user's inventories
  • Fixed a bug that caused market sorting options to disappear when paginating
  • Updated wishlist emptying feature to work with larger wishlists and be more robust in general
  • Fixed a timing issue when leaving multiple groups at once
  • Fixed a bug that caused downloadable content details not to display properly on store pages
  • Removed Empty Cart feature as this feature is now part of Steam and is therefore redundant
  • Removed functions related to Steam Greenlight
This update is available for Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. Chrome users should see the extension update itself automatically within the next 60 minutes. Firefox users will update on their browser's regular update schedule, or by selecting "Check for updates" on their addons screen.

As always, please let me know if you encounter any issues with this release.

Randy Pitchford sounds interested in working with IO Interactive to publish their future work. I instinctively feel like this is a terrible idea, but I do wonder how many options IO will have going forward.

I finally got around to playing the Siltbreaker campaign in Dota 2 today. It's actually pretty fun. Very challenging though, because aside from difficult boss fights, you have a limited number of lives and you need to learn a lot of things by trial and error (like instakill traps in one area or things like that). In two hours, with a couple of restarts, we managed to complete 2 zones out of (I think) 5 total in this first act of the campaign. So it does sound like there's a lot of content for those who stick with it.

Thanks guys, I went for Symphony. Very excited to play this for the first time.

With my luck we'll be getting a €5 PC release next week.
I'd kiss you if your purchase somehow spurred a preservable SoTN. It's uh, a perfect game. If you like the genre at all, you're about to play one of the best. Still in the top five, if not three.

I could go on and on about that game for days. :p

jshackles

I was at Valve a couple of years ago when they had a pretty sizable team working on L4D3. My best guess as to what happened to the game, based on what I know about it and about how Valve works, is that it was shelved.

A large part of the development centered around Source2 which then got rolled into the DOTA2 dev team. This was also around the same time Valve started getting heavily invested in VR, the Steam Controller, SteamOS / Steam Machines, and tons of other (software) things. At the time, CS:GO wasn't even really that popular and TF2 was still at the top of the play charts although of course DOTA2 was king. I could be completely wrong (and would love to be proven wrong) but the team that was working on it probably shuffled to other more interesting or profitable areas of the company (or other careers outside of Valve) which left the game mostly abandoned or at least had it's development severely crippled or cut back. I would be very surprised to learn that it hasn't released yet because of issues with direction or testing. Adding VR stuff would be great but again I would wager on the team being much smaller now (if it even exists at all) so Valve Time would be working against them in the most horrible way on that front.

Of course this is all speculation and they could announce the game tomorrow. As others have pointed out, Valve is simply making too much money with it's other endeavors (Steam, CS:GO, DOTA2) to worry about releasing a game that wasn't even service based or likely wouldn't provide Valve with a large amount of residual income beyond user's initial purchases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom