• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2017 - MASH ALL THE BUTTONS 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuraya

I was at Valve a couple of years ago when they had a pretty sizable team working on L4D3. My best guess as to what happened to the game, based on what I know about it and about how Valve works, is that it was shelved.

A large part of the development centered around Source2 which then got rolled into the DOTA2 dev team. This was also around the same time Valve started getting heavily invested in VR, the Steam Controller, SteamOS / Steam Machines, and tons of other (software) things. At the time, CS:GO wasn't even really that popular and TF2 was still at the top of the play charts although of course DOTA2 was king. I could be completely wrong (and would love to be proven wrong) but the team that was working on it probably shuffled to other more interesting or profitable areas of the company (or other careers outside of Valve) which left the game mostly abandoned or at least had it's development severely crippled or cut back. I would be very surprised to learn that it hasn't released yet because of issues with direction or testing. Adding VR stuff would be great but again I would wager on the team being much smaller now (if it even exists at all) so Valve Time would be working against them in the most horrible way on that front.

Of course this is all speculation and they could announce the game tomorrow. As others have pointed out, Valve is simply making too much money with it's other endeavors (Steam, CS:GO, DOTA2) to worry about releasing a game that wasn't even service based or likely wouldn't provide Valve with a large amount of residual income beyond user's initial purchases.

So disappointing if they shelved it for good. Should have released an F2P version at the very least or something. Let the community and modding carry/care for the game if you don't want to.

At this point the only way we will ever see another game from Valve is if either CSGO or DOTA2 dies out. Neither of which is happening for like another 10 years probably lol.

MUnited83

For you.
Thing is i can see randy giving them creative freedom they need

You think Mr. "I'm going to throw PCF under the bus and blame them for our shady deal with G2A" and MR. " I'm going to force PCF to include a shitty forced Duke Nukem cameo on the Bulletstorm remaster" would give creative freedom?

AssCreed > 2 ~ Brotherhood > Syndicate > Unity > Black Flag > Revelations > Rogue > 3. I'd probably put Rogue ahead of Revelations if it weren't for the Colonial America setting; it's my least favourite by a country mile.

Rogue interests me because of the arctic setting.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I was at Valve a couple of years ago when they had a pretty sizable team working on L4D3. My best guess as to what happened to the game, based on what I know about it and about how Valve works, is that it was shelved.

A large part of the development centered around Source2 which then got rolled into the DOTA2 dev team. This was also around the same time Valve started getting heavily invested in VR, the Steam Controller, SteamOS / Steam Machines, and tons of other (software) things. At the time, CS:GO wasn't even really that popular and TF2 was still at the top of the play charts although of course DOTA2 was king. I could be completely wrong (and would love to be proven wrong) but the team that was working on it probably shuffled to other more interesting or profitable areas of the company (or other careers outside of Valve) which left the game mostly abandoned or at least had it's development severely crippled or cut back. I would be very surprised to learn that it hasn't released yet because of issues with direction or testing. Adding VR stuff would be great but again I would wager on the team being much smaller now (if it even exists at all) so Valve Time would be working against them in the most horrible way on that front.

Of course this is all speculation and they could announce the game tomorrow. As others have pointed out, Valve is simply making too much money with it's other endeavors (Steam, CS:GO, DOTA2) to worry about releasing a game that wasn't even service based or likely wouldn't provide Valve with a large amount of residual income beyond user's initial purchases.
This is really interesting, and thanks for the thorough explanation. I guess I figured Gabe's comment about L4D in that AMA kind of hinted it was still kicking around, but when you lay it out like this I can see what you mean.

For all I've read about Cave Story having a poignant story it seems gross that to unlock the new Curly content in the switch version you have to find her panties.

Reading about what Valve is doing and not doing is so depressing. I miss their single player games, nothing is filling that void.

And we don't even get L4D3, I always thought that was a safe bet :(

Thing is i can see randy giving them creative freedom they need

Randy Pitchford is a modern day snake oil salesman. I wouldn't put much stock in anything he says nor trust him to provide the kind of support that developers like People Can Fly or Io Interactive need. But at the same time it's not like independent developers have much in the way of options.

I don't understand how anyone could have any sort of goodwill left for Pitchford or Gearbox. I get that people really liked Borderlands 1 and 2, but fuck man, hasn't that goodwill been spent after Colonial Marines, Duke Nukem Forever, Battleborn and, to an extent, what they did with Bulletstorm with the Full Clip Edition?

Could someone tell me how big Black Ops 3 is with the Zombie Chronicles dlc is? Thinking of getting it.

Also: I still can't believe I beat that campaign on realistic where one shot instantly killed you. Might be the most tedious game thing I've done.

Edit: 92 gbs and it took 2 minutes to even start installing lol.

Vibranium

Banned
Randy Pitchford is a modern day snake oil salesman. I wouldn't put much stock in anything he says nor trust him to provide the kind of support that developers like People Can Fly or Io Interactive need. But at the same time it's not like independent developers have much in the way of options.

I don't understand how anyone could have any sort of goodwill left for Pitchford or Gearbox. I get that people really liked Borderlands 1 and 2, but fuck man, hasn't that goodwill been spent after Colonial Marines, Duke Nukem Forever, Battleborn and, to an extent, what they did with Bulletstorm with the Full Clip Edition?

Randy Pitchford may be a snake-oil salesman, but Gearbox Quebec is making a new Brothers in Arms game after 10 years on the shelf, and without Ubisoft, I have to appreciate that.

I'm weak and I care about that franchise more than any of their other games. Hopefully Borderlands fans support BiA.

BasilZero

Did anyone get asked if their email was right and got sent a email verification after logging into Steam?

First one I've received ever since I joined Steam back in 2011 lol

Is Stormblood completely pointless to buy for someone just now considering playing XIV?

I mean you will have to work your way through A LOT of content to get to stormblood unless you pay for jump potions. It's not like WoW where you just have to hit max level...FFXIV you have to do all the story quests to progress. Just ARR alone is probably ~100+ hours of story content. Heavensward another ~60 or so.

Is Stormblood completely pointless to buy for someone just now considering playing XIV?

Stormblood is pretty sweet so far now that the servers issues have subsided. They've been a mess since Friday and it's early access launch. As said above though, unless you plan on paying to jump ahead which they introduced in this latest update, you're probably best starting with ARR; you can even play up until lvl 35 with no time limit for free and transfer over if you decide to pick it up. It's definitely a time investment but also very single player friendly if you're not huge on grouping.

They've finally updated Atelier Sophie with the epilogue episode.

The extra episode has been just added!
With today's update, the extra episode "Latter Days Episode" was added.
This is an additional scenario of Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book.
A reunion between Meklet and Atomina. The decision that Sophie has to make..
And epilogue that leads to the story of Atelier Firis: The Alchemist and the Mysterious Journey.

jediyoshi

4mQ7jd6.png

rip plumber man

Anno

Game of the show got snubbed hardcore.

EDIT: Wolfenstein isn't there, either! What the hell?

It is? At least on the image you quoted - maybe you mean a different one?

The problem is outside of it and Dishonored there isn't a worthwhile choice for 3rd.

Edit: Unless it secretly means Far Cry 2

Finally playing Jazz punk now that the director's cut is on steam and while it's hilarious the controller support seems completely buggered. Floaty and major acceleration. Also it won't let me set the resolution to 4k.

Blizzard

Banned
It's a Christmas miracle. I started Steam, noticed two games had updated, and discovered BOTH of them had actual patch notes in the actual right click patch notes section so I don't have to go hunting on the Steam forums and/or random developer websites.

Kudos, people who make Inquisitor and Starbound.

Some people in the thread for it thought it was infallible. I was enjoying the first half, but the rest sucked. I just didn't find it very clever by the end.

Same. I thought the end was lame, but I enjoyed them making fun of the corporate talk. Would have liked to be shown a few more games, instead of doubling down on the "its funny cause its loud" aspect of it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I didn't expect Black Flag being quite so low, I remember you liking it a lot. Or maybe you just posted about it more.

It's not that I didn't like it, just that I prefer the others overall. But, yeah, I did talk about it quite a bit as Uplay ate my save ~96 hours in.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
1. Assassin's Creed III
2. Assassin's Creed II
3. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
4. Assassin's Creed: Revelation
5. Assassin's Creed: Freedom Cry
6. Assassin's Creed: Unity
7. Assassin's Creed: Syndicate
8. Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag
9. Assassin's Creed: Liberation
10. Assassin's Creed: Rogue