• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst Female Character Design in Gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppy

There are some good here that makes nominating Quiet a bit lazy. We can do better:

the worst part about quiet is that kojima expected all that bs to be taken seriously

oneechanbara is intentially ridiculous so i find it hard to really put it on the list

like i appreciate if people dont like sexploitation games and over the top nonsense, i do. but i would probably ignore them in terms of worst design unless they were above and beyond horrible. like i wouldnt consider characters from senran kagura because, like, of course they are basically all heaving in the bosom and showing cleavage, its that kind of game

Quiet looks fucking awesome. Kind of a lame character though.

Any who, Maria from Castlevania Judgment is so real shit.

fnyHIok.jpg

Why is there an owl in a staff?

DZ_b_EZ

You guys are crazy, dude. All of these designs are excellent 😍

Nothing better than female armor, but then again I'm perverted at heart so yeah.

Shredderi

the worst part about quiet is that kojima expected all that bs to be taken seriously

oneechanbara is intentially ridiculous so i find it hard to really put it on the list

Nah, I'll allow it since the thread is about character design and not also the character itself in all of the context of the game they inhabit. The bananasplit design is so horrendous that it deserves to be here no matter what the intents were.

luulubuu

What?

Dragon's crown characters are designed to be comically grotesque.

dragon6.jpg

Yeah, but also nah.

The art direction here is to be exotic, epic and big but the women are still sexualised no matter what, and that's what it matter in the end, imho.

I do love Vanillaware and their choices about characters and mechanics, but they are not exception to critic some stuff

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I know it's not the worst (that'd go to some of the creepy anime shit posted in this thread already), but tbh I really hate the design of the main female character (and the rest of the cast that I've seen so far) in Nier: Automata. I just think it looks really dumb.

I'm with you. 2B and the other characters look stupid as fuck. Like I'm a badass robot soldier and I look like a ballerina*? Fuck off.

* Actually a ballerina would probably be more practically dressed and look more badas too, so I take it back

I didn't remember the Dino Crisis girl looking so dumb, but yeah. That outfit is really stupid.

What? What's wrong with that character? She has a cool sneaking suit and looks pretty solid as far as attire and design goes. The art style is kind of plain but I don't really see what could be called bad about this character design?
She's a special agent, but she's wearing skin-tight lingerie. It's dumb. Just because there's no skin shown doesn't mean it's not gratuitously sexualized.

Every single time somebody mentions Nier Automata I die inside.

Sexy doesn't mean it's a bad design, just like ugly doesn't mean it's bad. It depends. I personally like sexy designs, much more likely to play a game honestly. Blah blah disrespectful to women, have you seen how young girls these days dress?
Are you for real

I don't care if it's male or female, sexy designs don't automatically make something bad. Who fucking cares, it's a video game. I personally love that Japan doesn't give a fuck about political correctness. PC ruins shit.
...Oh.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say most of them, ESPECIALLY in JRPG or Asian-inspired games. I feel like overly exposed or unnecessarily busty female characters with tit armor or whatever else stupid shit...I just can't take them seriously.

I feel like they just there for eye candy mostly while their ACTUAL reason for being there is secondary. I like more grounded, realistic designs...it always seems to me these types have much more personality than the half nekkid barbies we see all too often. Some of my favorites include:

Lenneth Valkyrie
Lenneth.%28Valkyrie.Profile%29.full.297828.jpg

TP Princess Zelda
Princess_Zelda_TP_1263.png

latest

Kinyou

Idk, I feel like video games are worse off because A) you can control the camera and thus become an active participant in ogling women, B) video game characters are 'constructed' and static, so their proportions can fall way more into fantasy than reality, and C) video games have a lot more to prove than movies, which are already established as 'art'. It's hard to make the 'games as art' argument when MGS V, one of the highest rated games of it's year, routinely treats its female characters like sex objects that should be ogled and fantasied about. Movies are bad too, of course, but because they're non-interactive deal with it in less overt ways.
If anyone dismisses the art argument because of negative examples while ignoring all the positive ones I think that discussion is hopeless anyway.

wandering

Banned
There can be place for both. The movie medium is somehow also considered to be for more than horny teenagers despite michael bay.

But MGS is held up by gamers as one of the greatest series in video games. It's seen as representative of the gaming medium.

zoukka

Yeah, but also nah.

The art direction here is to be exotic, epic and big but the women are still sexualised no matter what, and that's what it matter in the end, imho.

I do love Vanillaware and their choices about characters and mechanics, but they are not exception to critic some stuff

All?

The designs in DC are fine. They are not trying to hide that it's full high fantasy camp.

MutFox

Banned
When I see these under dressed females in games,
it makes me embarrassed to play said game.
Usually I'll skip the games with these characters.
Even if the graphics are amazing, they're not the type of game I'd want to showcase.

Such an immature way of portraying women.

Kinsei

Banned

Sexy doesn’t mean it’s a bad design, just like ugly doesn’t mean it’s bad. It depends. I personally like sexy designs, much more likely to play a game honestly. Blah blah disrespectful to women, have you seen how young girls these days dress?

I don’t care if it’s male or female, sexy designs don’t automatically make something bad. Who fucking cares, it’s a video game. I personally love that Japan doesn’t give a fuck about political correctness. PC ruins shit.

I’m not disagreeing with that but NRS literally just put boobs on dudes and chop their dicks off.

msl6h99.gif

Aurongel

In a vacuum there are worse designs than Quiet but I think she has to take the cake here solely because of the mental fucking gymnastics Kohima performed to justify her design in the context of the story. So much effort put in for something so juvenile ranks way worse for me than some nude fifteen year old demon from some random low budget anime action crap.

NSESN

I can understand why some people hate some Awakening/Fates desighns, but it also have good designs too like Lucina and most Birthright characters.
Nowi tho is so bad that makes Camilla design good by comparison.

kromeo

There are some good here that makes nominating Quiet a bit lazy. We can do better:

maxresdefault.jpg

Meh it's a fanservice game made for people who like fanservice, it has no pretentions of being anything else. Breathes through her skin will always be more ridiculous

Kinyou

But MGS is held up by gamers as one of the greatest series in video games. It's seen as representative of the gaming medium.
And if anyone listens to those arguments they'll notice that the reason for that aren't sexualised characters. A game can be a masterpiece and still have flawed elements.

LotusHD

Banned
I like how this thread is easily catching up with the other thread. Just goes to show you that it is just way too easy to pick out a terrible/oversexualized design lol

Toxi

Banned
Zero Suit Samus' design since 2004, I like the Super / Fusion / Prime design more
The thing that bugs me is how it's standardized across all the different games. Always the Zero Suit, always the ponytail. It's like they were trying to force an "iconic" look for the character outside the suit (And sadly, it's become pretty iconic thanks to Smash Bros).

Van Bur3n

Sexy doesn’t mean it’s a bad design, just like ugly doesn’t mean it’s bad. It depends. I personally like sexy designs, much more likely to play a game honestly. Blah blah disrespectful to women, have you seen how young girls these days dress?

I don’t care if it’s male or female, sexy designs don’t automatically make something bad. Who fucking cares, it’s a video game. I personally love that Japan doesn’t give a fuck about political correctness. PC ruins shit.

I’m not disagreeing with that but NRS literally just put boobs on dudes and chop their dicks off.

You're going full weeb. Never go full weeb.

Opa-Pa

I honestly find everyone except wizard guy and the elf pretty gross looking in Dragon's Crown. I don't really care if it was intentional, they make me not want to play the game.

Also, how did I forget. Zero Suit Samus is garbage and an embarrassment to such an emblematic character. The juvenile prize pictures of Samus wearing light clothes being a tradition at the point was terrible enough, but ZSS and her later inclusion im Brawl was the nail on the coffin; great way to turn a fantastic female character into everyone's waifu.

What I’m saying is that the way REAL HUMAN GIRLS dress these days (not all of them of course, I’m not going to generalize like some people) is more of a worry and more disrespectful then a fucking video game character in a video game that is already fantasy.

I’m not offended by fucking Ryu being a buff sexy motherfucker, it all goes back to sexy design does not mean a bad design.

Girls can be sexy as hell and there is nothing wrong with that, they can also be “homely” or less sexy in the normal sense of the word and that’s fine. Guys don’t have to be buff and manly to be attractive either.

Sexy doesn’t make a character good or bad, as generally the character isn’t defined by their design. Quiet is a bad character because she’s a bad character, who cares that she is wearing a bikini. I feel like I’m in a Polygon article comment section.

You're going full weeb. Never go full weeb.
I’m not going full fucking anything.

There are tons of good Western designs and shit Western designs, just like there are plenty of shit Eastern designs along with the good. Plenty have been posted here in this same thread.

What I’m saying is that people like to dismiss sexy designs as bad because they are sexy.

Ronin Ray

Oh man. I LOVE this design. I never played that Prince of Persia game, but that girl looks both super-hot and badass to me. I even like the short hair.
When it comes to female character designs that I dislike, there are many that I find very unattractive or plain boring, but Makoto from Street Fighter 3 is probably my best example. She has giant feet, nothing visibly feminine going for her and she looks too similar to the king of vanilla character design (Ryu).
I do concede her ball-punch Ultra attack in SF4 was pretty funny.

SF3_Makoto.gif

I really dislike Zarya from Overwatch too. I like her face and her gun, but her super-muscular body is something I'd rather not see.

How is one post so insanely wrong? like my mind can't comprehend just what's being said here.

Macka

Fire Emblem Awakening and Fates: The Thread

For the most part, anyway. Awakening's not as bad, but it did start the trend of butt windows and really defined boob armour.

7roject28

[QUOTE="D";242785219]I'm gonna go out on a limb and say most of them, ESPECIALLY in JRPG or Asian-inspired games. I feel like overly exposed or unnecessarily busty female characters with tit armor or whatever else stupid shit...I just can't take them seriously.

I feel like they just there for eye candy mostly while their ACTUAL reason for being there is secondary. I like more grounded, realistic designs...it always seems to me these types have much more personality than the half nekkid barbies we see all too often. Some of my favorites include:
[/QUOTE]

Wrong thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom