• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppy

capsize may as well be land destruction anyway but yeah i know you are right. i just see it as a flaw with mtg and somethin i choose not to do personally

I play Sorin Markov in my Superfriends deck, but he's really just there as an obvious threat to get people to stop riding the jock of every PW I put on the table.

You kind of need to do that since people just love swinging free on even the most innocuous walkers. Like, fuck, dude, Party Jace ain't gonna hurt nobody, clock some commander damage and chill.

Poppy

i like value, i just do it by playing rock decks mostly. i like creatures coming back over and over and generating tokens and stuff more than drawing cards. not a huge fan of blue, if anything i really like the concept of abzan but it doesnt have many commanders which i am that fond of currently

i do have one rakdos deck i like but it is basically just a waste not or wheels/megrim style combo deck

hermit7

basically if they are playing green, then assume the worst

thats how i see it

all my green commanders are clearly midrange creature beats/value so i feel like i remain semi innocent

I play mono green and it is my most "combo" oriented deck. Who would have thought that making 25 mana turn 3 with selvala was going to be really good.

It is still creature oriented but the deck can literally just go off without any interaction. All my other edh decks are much more "fair" and aren't combo oriented.

ultron87

In draft today, I got to counter someone saccing Gate to the Afterlife with Nimble Obstructionist, so I've really done everything in this format I wanted to do.

Yeef

You can effectively race if you get the right card setup; if you get two Fraying Sanity (Mirage Mirror is for enabling the combo if you don't find a second one) Startled Awake is instant win (Since you mill 52 cards on one cast)
FYI, if you copy Fraying Sanity with Mirage Mirror, the mirror will just go to the graveyard as a state-based action since it's an aura that's not attached to anything.

Repgnar

Played in a sealed release event today for HOU. Ended up playing a W/B Zombies deck with quite a few combat tricks. Went 2-1 before dropping since there was two more rounds and it was already 11:15. The +3/+3 give creature flying and then return it from graveyard if a zombie enters the battlefield was easily MVP of the deck. All of my creatures but Bontu and Razaketh were zombies so as long as I drew it and they weren't able to exile it I got a lot of use out of it.

What time do your stores usually start events? This was a 5 round '7:30' sealed event that didn't start round 1 until 8:30. With a 2-1 record and my deck I felt like I had a chance but i'm not about that life after doing multiple pre-release events last weekend. I guess if I ventured over into constructed i'd save an hour. Maybe i'll try it out this month.

Prerelease flights at 11:00 AM and 5:00 PM registration and usually start at or no more than five minutes later at noon and six where I play.

Daedardus

If you like Ixalan spoilers, here's the basics someone pulled out of a HOU box

Basic Ixalan Lands

Also this video of Rudy from Alpha Investments animated as Kermit the Frog is hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUZ70rVfb9A

How does this happen?! Also, is a reprint of an unreleased set tournament legal? Because it has the same name and is an actual Magic card, although I'm not sure if the latter part is true if the set isn't out yet.

Repgnar

Any resources to read on just playing the game better? I've realized that while i've been reading draft and sealed primers I really haven't read beyond just learning the basic rules of the game. I've picked up simple things through streams and just playing the game. I remember Chapin's deck building book was recommended on reddit I think it was when I was first getting into MTG, any read his Next Level Magic book?

Daedardus

Any resources to read on just playing the game better? I've realized that while i've been reading draft and sealed primers I really haven't read beyond just learning the basic rules of the game. I've picked up simple things through streams and just playing the game. I remember Chapin's deck building book was recommended on reddit I think it was when I was first getting into MTG, any read his Next Level Magic book?

Playing the game and watching high level play on stream are still the best things to learn I think. As well as just following the discussions here. Always felt like these 'pro' articles are making you think you're good at the game, while your play does not really improve in critical situations.

Repgnar

Playing the game and watching high level play on stream are still the best things to learn I think. As well as just following the discussions here. Always felt like these 'pro' articles are making you think you're good at the game, while your play does not really improve in critical situations.

I definitely agree with you. From Amonkhet pre-release to last night's release sealed event I've noticed an improvement. I actually got to play 2 guys I have played in the past that stomped me and got wins against em. Sealed obviously doesn't allow you to get consistent decks but going into the game 1 opponent I was already thinking I was going to start 0-1 because of the beating he had given me previously. I was able to beat him 2-1 with the wins being really solid. $37 is pretty steep for a book.

Level One should be helpful. It's an article series published by Wizards.

Violet_0

Banned
if it's not about getting a better understanding of the rules (phases, ect.) but about how you become a better player, it's just practice and learning from other players by watching them. Learning about deckbuilding isn't super important because realistically, you'll either play a meta deck or a fun deck that probably isn't very competitive

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

"Who's the Beatdown" was very helpful for me when I was first getting back into the game a few years ago.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/shoulders-giants-2013-08-06

Here's a list of great articles that cover Magic theory and concepts. There is a lot of stuff in here that will change the way you think about the game for the better.

Repgnar

Appreciate all the links guys. Definitely need more things related to rules understanding and just general gameplay strategy rather than deck building strategy. I'll leave that facet of the game to others unless it's just tabletop magic. Will give these all a look tonight.

For those that have gone over cards or have actually played the new ones in Hour of Devestation, is it worth it buying a booster box? Or not many good cards to really go after? I'm sure this is a silly question though.

mtggoldfish.com has an article about EV, expected value, and it's terrible. Only buy a box to draft with it.

Yikes. I would try to buy one for $90, but according to that, it's roughly 60-ish. But it all depends on the draw because one could have shittier luck than that.

EDIT: I will admit, I got a giggle out of that fact that Overwhelming Splendor exists. It's a version of Humility that costs too much to play.

Tunoku

Went 3-3 at the PPTQ today. I feel like I threw away the match against Affinity but otherwise it was OK. And I got to bop Merfolk which is usually not a great matchup. Swiftspear, Revelry, Blaze, Blood and they didn't find their Spell Pierce. At least I got some Planeswalker points out of it. Got over 500 for the season now, 2200 is definitely possible.

Daedardus

Yikes. I would try to buy one for $90, but according to that, it's roughly 60-ish. But it all depends on the draw because one could have shittier luck than that.

EDIT: I will admit, I got a giggle out of that fact that Overwhelming Splendor exists. It's a version of Humility that costs too much to play.

Man that is so bad that is has to go up. Solely for the fact that vendors will otherwise lose money in the long run on the set :p. I expect the value to be very concentrated in the few cards that do sell.

Appreciate all the links guys. Definitely need more things related to rules understanding and just general gameplay strategy rather than deck building strategy. I'll leave that facet of the game to others unless it's just tabletop magic. Will give these all a look tonight.

They are old and dated but this guy's articles and this specific article in general helped me so much with understanding the game. I wish he would come back and play / write more. I love his attitude and approach to the game:

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/misc/890_MmmmmmmmmanaFive_Rules_For_Avoiding_ManaScrew.html

Santiako

clues has to be my favorite mechanic in a while. I'd like to see it return rather sooner than later. Everyone loves clues!

It is fantastic. It's also the perfect mechanic to return in a core set at some point. I'd love a cycle of 1 mana investigate cards.

bigkrev

If podcasts are more your thing, Mike Flores and Roman Fuscoe do a podcast where they read old articles and talk about them in modern context, called Ancestral Recall

I'd recommend listening to the ones of "Whos the Beatdown" and "Philosophy of Fire"

Zocano

I feel like I should pick up a copy of Scarab God right now before the price goes up any more on it. Feel like it's not really gonna go down at all since, as some have mentioned, this set will not really be opened much and it's got such shit value overall that the few cards that are worth it will just retain their value really well.

Violet_0

Banned
Ya'll need to check out the SCG Live from yesterday ROund 9 feature match game. Shit was a nailbiter

was that W/U Monument against the planeswalker deck? I loved how commentators talked shit about the deck and the double Dovin Baan. "Here comes the second Dovin Baan, the opponent could Negate him but - just doesn't want to"

Ashodin

was that W/U Monument against the planeswalker deck? I loved how commentators talked shit about the deck and the double Dovin Baan. "Here comes the second Dovin Baan, the opponent could Negate him but - just doesn't want to"
We all know Dovin Baan goes into the crested sunmare deck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom