• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG promises HDR gaming input lag patch for 2016 OLED sets

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Is there a link with instructions? Is it easy to do or is there a potential risk?

Also what's HLG?

it's not super plug and play but it's possible. instructions are on AVS.

HLG is Hyper-Log-Gamma, which is HDR for broadcast (ie, cable / satellite) --- so basically TV show HDR.

apparently LG is aware and is fast-tracking a fix.

but just be warned.

It's unclear if the HLG firmware is coming to the B6 at all

This HLG firmware is the only firmware that they are working on or also one to at least fix the HDR game mode in terms of how dark/dimmed it is? Because the latter is sorely needed.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
This HLG firmware is the only firmware that they are working on or also one to at least fix the HDR game mode in terms of how dark/dimmed it is? Because the latter is sorely needed.

the HLG firmware is what broke HDR game mode on the G/E/C series.

The B series hasn't been confirmed for HLG, though it's updates usually lag. It has a different SoC than the others

The B series hasn't been confirmed for HLG, though it's updates usually lag. It has a different SoC than the others

see. I also have this problem. I have a B6, and game mode has been why to dark since day one for me. I have just modified one of the other presents to be as close to game mode as possible, still would be nice it game mode was more usable though, since I'm sure the lag is worse on the other presents, even with all the crappy post processing turned off manually.

Goddamn it. Just my luck. Hopefully they still care about the B6 then.

see. I also have this problem. I have a B6, and game mode has been why to dark since day one for me. I have just modified one of the other presents to be as close to game mode as possible, still would be nice it game mode was more usable though, since I'm sure the lag is worse on the other presents, even with all the crappy post processing turned off manually.

So you're using HDR bright, vivid or standard? Yeah that's nowhere near close to the input lag of Game mode. But a tip I got on another forum is that up the game brightness and still use HDR Game mode. I read that someone upped the brightness to max in Horizon Zero Dawn and it looked a lot better. Or enable dynamic contrast would also help a lot.

But it would be best if LG simply fixes it. Because there are games out there that don't have a brightness option. Not a whole lot anymore these days probably but Fallout 4 was one of them. But I don't think it ever received a HDR patch right? Only 4K for pro I believe.

SOLDIER

Tried to use LgDTVUpDater and followed the instructions, but I couldn't get it working. I get an error message during the step to run startHTTP.bat.

It says to replace 192.168.0.11 with my IP address. Am I supposed to replace all instances in the txt file that lists 192.168.0.11?

Maybe I should just wait for the hotfix.

SOLDIER

Tried that too. This is what I get when I try opening the .bat file:

HapmdN7.jpg

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
So, any help getting the downgrade to work?

Or have they said when the hot fix is coming?

I haven't upgraded so I can't help you downgrade, AVS folks might be able to.

Some Russian LG site apparently had an updated version of the firmware (5.30.10) but unclear if it's the fix and I don't think it works on US sets.

Folks still waiting on an updated firmware.

NYR

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a hot fix on the way within a week or so. As long as it is fixed before Uncharted TLL, I'm okay.

So, any help getting the downgrade to work?

Or have they said when the hot fix is coming?
Dunno, did you move the "LgDTVUpDater" directory to C:?
Looks like it can't find apache? I had some problems with some windows services that were blocking port 80. After disabling those I could run it and the whole downgrade process.

I haven't upgraded so I can't help you downgrade, AVS folks might be able to.

Some Russian LG site apparently had an updated version of the firmware (5.30.10) but unclear if it's the fix and I don't think it works on US sets.

Folks still waiting on an updated firmware.
I installed it and it did nothing to help with the too dim HDR game mode, unfortunately. The wait continues.
If LG somehow thinks that this is how HDR game is supposed to be, then we're screwed.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Looks like it can't find apache? I had some problems with some windows services that were blocking port 80. After disabling those I could run it and the whole downgrade process.

I installed it and it did nothing to help with the too dim HDR game mode, unfortunately. The wait continues.
If LG somehow thinks that this is how HDR game is supposed to be, then we're screwed.

Phone reps have told people they are aware and it's on the bug list

SOLDIER

It could be that something in Windows 10 is blocking it. What services did you disable?

aravuus

I know that this thread is pretty much just a LG B/E/C6 tech support thread now, but I wanted to make sure that the firmware stuff (what the thread was originally about) is all over and done with, in Europe too. HDR game mode is great now, no screen tearing or 60hz judder or anything else I came across by googling "lg b6 hdr game mode", right?

I've been planning on entering the 4k era for a while now, and I finally went out and bought a new TV stand and a PS4 Pro, so now I just need a TV. And since I really kinda want an OLED TV but I'm not made of money, I've decided to go with the 55 inch B6 (OLED55B6V).

e: oh and is there a good calibration guide for gaming, netflix and occasional PC desktop use for B6? I've never owned a high-end TV before, just cheap full HD TVs which I just kind of.. Plugged in, quickly checked the settings and then never tried to calibrate again.

SOLDIER

Hopefully the fix will be updated this week. I want to play the multiplayer beta for FFXV, which means HDR needs to be working properly.

NYR

People on AVS Forum are saying if you keep wide color gamut at its default setting and turned dynamic contrast to high, it looks reasonable in HDR.

The LG US twitter account as well recommends using dynamic contrast to those on the latest FW.
So I just started playing around with dynamic contrast set to medium. Not sure whether there are any drawbacks?
Will do some comparisons to an older FW with dynamic contrast off.
In game mode SDR it doesn't add any input lag, no idea about HDR though since I can't measure that with my input lag tester.

SOLDIER

World Wide Web Publishing Service and some other stuff.
Follow these instructions to check yourself what services are blocking port 80 and how to disable them:
https://www.devside.net/wamp-server/opening-up-port-80-for-apache-to-use-on-windows

Thanks to this I managed to keep both of the .bat files open.

But even so, the LG says it can't connect after I switch the DNS server with my IP address. The instructions say "DNS IP", so I tried changing the IP address, then the DNS, and then both. Still nothing. What could I be doing wrong?

Dinosur

How awful is the image retention on these things? I'm eyeballing a C7 if I can find someone to buy my JS9000 but the rtings review has me super worried. Video games absolutely destroyed the last plasma I had (VT60). I know it's not as bad as plasma, but after quitting Destiny and still seeing remanents of the HUD 9 months later will drive anyone crazy.

I cannot stand the edge light bleed on this 65" JS during dark movies, which is why I want to get rid of it, but there's no way in hell I can go back to having to worry about IR or burn-in.

NYR

How awful is the image retention on these things? I'm eyeballing a C7 if I can find someone to buy my JS9000 but the rtings review has me super worried. Video games absolutely destroyed the last plasma I had (VT60). I know it's not as bad as plasma, but after quitting Destiny and still seeing remanents of the HUD 9 months later will drive anyone crazy.

I cannot stand the edge light bleed on this 65" JS during dark movies, which is why I want to get rid of it, but there's no way in hell I can go back to having to worry about IR or burn-in.
Not an issue worth sweating over.

Also, Zero light bleed on an OLED, it's a thing of beauty.

fastmower

I just bought a C7 and the input lag seems not great even in Game Mode with all the BS turned off. Disappointed. Might return it

NYR

I just bought a C7 and the input lag seems not great even in Game Mode with all the BS turned off. Disappointed. Might return it
Lag numbers look solid, you can't really beat these with much.

1080p @ 60Hz Show Help
: 21.3 ms
1080p With Interpolation Show Help
: 88.0 ms
1080p @ 60Hz Outside Game Mode Show Help
: 46.4 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 Show Help
4k @ 60Hz Show Help
: 21.4 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 Show Help
4k @ 60Hz + HDR Show Help
: 21.1 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + 8 bit HDR Show Help
: N/A

fastmower

Lag numbers look solid, you can't really beat these with much.

1080p @ 60Hz Show Help
1080p With Interpolation Show Help
: 88.0 ms
1080p @ 60Hz Outside Game Mode Show Help
: 46.4 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 Show Help
4k @ 60Hz Show Help
: 21.4 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 Show Help
4k @ 60Hz + HDR Show Help
: 21.1 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + 8 bit HDR Show Help
: N/A
I don't know what to tell you. It feels sloppy.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I don't know what to tell you. It feels sloppy.

You sure its in game mode/you sure there isn't latency elsewhere in your line? I know when my SO was setting up the PS4 on the new C6 when it first came in, it defaulted to having motion interpolation on and that had HUGE input lag implications. Might be worth checking stuff like that too.

Rocket786

Holy shit at the HDR Game Mode now. I noticed my TV updated a week or so ago but I've been playing Zelda. Went back to Horizon last night and thought my TV had messed up. Tried to fix it for an hour by tinkering with settings on my TV and PS4.

I'm glad to see my TV isn't broken but LG screwed up HDR Game Mode with their latest update. It's been passable with Dynamic Contrast on high but it's bugging the crap out of me. What the hell LG. Did your firmware not go through a QA cycle before officially releasing it? I mean there isn't even HLG content available anywhere right now. Delay it and get your shit together! This better be fixed before Uncharted comes out.

Holy shit at the HDR Game Mode now. I noticed my TV updated a week or so ago but I've been playing Zelda. Went back to Horizon last night and thought my TV had messed up. Tried to fix it for an hour by tinkering with settings on my TV and PS4.

I'm glad to see my TV isn't broken but LG screwed up HDR Game Mode with their latest update. It's been passable with Dynamic Contrast on high but it's bugging the crap out of me. What the hell LG. Did your firmware not go through a QA cycle before officially releasing it? I mean there isn't even HLG content available anywhere right now. Delay it and get your shit together! This better be fixed before Uncharted comes out.

You got the B6?

If a game has a brightness slider which luckily most games do have you can fix it that way as well. Apparently it will look proper and similar to how HDR Game used to look.

Rocket786

You got the B6?

If a game has a brightness slider which luckily most games do have you can fix it that way as well. Apparently it will look proper and similar to how HDR Game used to look.

I have the E6. I mean it's fairly good with Dynamic Contrast on high but still. I want to make sure the colors are what is the intention of the developers. I don't want my TV dynamically trying to guess. LG needs to release a fix for this asap. Crossing my fingers that it's before Uncharted.

NYR

I have the E6. I mean it's fairly good with Dynamic Contrast on high but still. I want to make sure the colors are what is the intention of the developers. I don't want my TV dynamically trying to guess. LG needs to release a fix for this asap. Crossing my fingers that it's before Uncharted.

Same. I will actually not play it if it isn't fixed.

Kal

Just turned off automatic updates. I have an LG E6 and my software version is 04.30.95 (I'm in the UK). Am I safe? :/ I did try checking for updates and nothing was available so I guess I have the most up to date version :(

Just turned off automatic updates. I have an LG E6 and my software version is 04.30.95 (I'm in the UK). Am I safe? :/ I did try checking for updates and nothing was available so I guess I have the most up to date version :(

04.30.95 is the firmware before the HLG was implemented. You are fine.

SOLDIER

x8Hv0K0.jpg

This is how it should look, right? And I would put that same IP address under DNS on my TV, correct?

Says it can't connect. I really want to downgrade this firmware. Or, if I have to, what's the setting that will get HDR looking like it did originally (increase brightness or the dynamic contrast)?

samred

Longshot: anybody here have a b6 AND a 1080 Ti? If so, I'd love to hear whether you have issues with a pc hooked to this tv. Titanfall 2 continues to crash in a weird way that I can't repro on other monitors. (paging @dark1x...)

Thanks to this I managed to keep both of the .bat files open.

But even so, the LG says it can't connect after I switch the DNS server with my IP address. The instructions say "DNS IP", so I tried changing the IP address, then the DNS, and then both. Still nothing. What could I be doing wrong?
Only change the "DNS SERVER" entry to the IP of your PC/notebook.

x8Hv0K0.jpg

This is how it should look, right? And I would put that same IP address under DNS on my TV, correct?
Yes, you only need the first two lines:

127.0.0.1 localhost
IP address of your PC/notebook snu.lge.com

You can put a # in front of the other lines.

Says it can't connect. I really want to downgrade this firmware. Or, if I have to, what's the setting that will get HDR looking like it did originally (increase brightness or the dynamic contrast)?
"Dynamic Contrast" to medium/high, though on the "high" settings it feels like it burns away details.

I have a b6d and my current firmware is 4.31.12. Am I safe? The only newer fw available for me is 4.31.25.

So far only C6/E6/G6 owners got screwed over by a new FW that while introcuding HLG drastically dims the HDR game mode. The B6 hasn't gotten any HLG update yet.

Is the new hdr game mode really that bad? I have a c6 and have been holding off on the latest update, but it's getting annoying constantly having to hit no when I turn it on, lol.

woxel1

Is the new hdr game mode really that bad? I have a c6 and have been holding off on the latest update, but it's getting annoying constantly having to hit no when I turn it on, lol.
Nothing is blown out on the contrast side of things but the peaks aren't super intense. Color looks incredible though. Your milage may vary!

EDIT: I should say that you should also reset the HDR Game Mode picture settings to make sure they're at default. Color is set at some value higher than 50 but supposedly it tracks better in that mode. If you try to bring it down the picture will look extremely desaturated.

Chao

Have a C6 on 04.31.05, I'm in Spain btw.
Is this the bad firmware? You guys mention the latest one introduced HLG but changelog on that firmware doesn't mention anything about that.

SOLDIER

Only change the "DNS SERVER" entry to the IP of your PC/notebook.

Yes, you only need the first two lines:

127.0.0.1 localhost
IP address of your PC/notebook snu.lge.com

You can put a # in front of the other lines.

Like this?

vKyFcTM.jpg

Then I've got the two programs open, like so:

sGNuftM.jpg

And here's how it looks on the TV settings:

ikCGBAh.jpg

Still not working.

Yeah, all good, but is the IP address of your PC in the same 192.168.1 range as the TV?
Not like you really need to hide it anyways as it's only an internal local IP.

SOLDIER

Yeah, all good, but is the IP address of your PC in the same 192.168.1 range as the TV?
Not like you really need to hide it anyways as it's only an internal local IP.

Just being cautious, not sure what's safe to share these days when it comes to IPs.

So you're saying the IP portion of the TV might need to be changed? Does it have to match the IP address I would type to open up my router settings in my browser?

Wiped89

I haven't noticed any problems on HDR game mode, but my C6 firmware is 4.30.95 (UK). Am I okay?

Checked to make sure auto update is off just to be on the safe side.

Nothing is blown out on the contrast side of things but the peaks aren't super intense. Color looks incredible though. Your milage may vary!

EDIT: I should say that you should also reset the HDR Game Mode picture settings to make sure they're at default. Color is set at some value higher than 50 but supposedly it tracks better in that mode. If you try to bring it down the picture will look extremely desaturated.
Interesting, I haven't heard much about the benefits of the new FW. So would you say it's worth updating or better to stick with the last FW?

Top Bottom