• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG promises HDR gaming input lag patch for 2016 OLED sets

Just being cautious, not sure what's safe to share these days when it comes to IPs.

So you're saying the IP portion of the TV might need to be changed? Does it have to match the IP address I would type to open up my router settings in my browser?

IP address of your TV is fine as it's in the same 192.168.1.X range as your router/gateway. The same needs to apply to your PC. Is that the case?

In my case it's:
192.168.0.1 router/gateway
192.168.0.2 PC
192.168.0.64 TV
All 3 in the same 192.168.0.X range.

I haven't noticed any problems on HDR game mode, but my C6 firmware is 4.30.95 (UK). Am I okay?

Checked to make sure auto update is off just to be on the safe side.
Yeah, you're fine.

SOLDIER

IP address of your TV is fine as it's in the same 192.168.1.X range as your router/gateway. The same needs to apply to your PC. Is that the case?

In my case it's:
192.168.0.1 router/gateway
192.168.0.2 PC
192.168.0.64 TV
All 3 in the same 192.168.0.X range.

As far as I can tell, everything is as it should be.

I'm out of ideas, then. Not sure why it works for some but not me.

woxel1

Interesting, I haven't heard much about the benefits of the new FW. So would you say it's worth updating or better to stick with the last FW?
I just finished a playthrough of The Last Guardian and having played it with both firmware I prefer the latest one since it had fewer instances of crushed blacks and blown out whites. It's a little less extreme and a lot more accurate. The colors are beautiful as well.

I just finished a playthrough of The Last Guardian and having played it with both firmware I prefer the latest one since it had fewer instances of crushed blacks and blown out whites. It's a little less extreme and a lot more accurate. The colors are beautiful as well.

Oh nice, good to know. Maybe I'll just take the plunge then and update lol.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
Is there any news on LG's fix for the borked firmware yet? I've been sitting on my brand new copy of Horizon for a couple weeks now, and just want to know when I can expect to be able to play it.

Deepo

I was just prompted to install firmware 05.30.10 on my european C6V, but I've held off for now. Curious if this is the one with borked HDR Game mode, or if it has been fixed again in this one. Can't seem to find the new FW on the LG site, which is strange. It's usually up there way before it's pushed out directly to TVs.

Kyoufu

I was just prompted to install firmware 05.30.10 on my european C6V, but I've held off for now. Curious if this is the one with borked HDR Game mode, or if it has been fixed again in this one. Can't seem to find the new FW on the LG site, which is strange. It's usually up there way before it's pushed out directly to TVs.

Yeah, don't install it.

My HDR game mode is now noticeably dim. Awful.

x3sphere

Is there a way to block the update check? Annoying having to dismiss it every time when turning the TV on.

If I knew the hostname it connects to, I guess I could just block it from my router.

Is there a way to block the update check? Annoying having to dismiss it every time when turning the TV on.

If I knew the hostname it connects to, I guess I could just block it from my router.

If you don't use any of the online features you can just disconnect it from the internet. That's what I did.

SOLDIER

I wish we could get the downgrade going at least. I ran out of things to try, so if anyone knows what's missing please inform me.

Chao

Funny how, of all updates, TV only updated on its own to the supposedly worked one.

All other updates I had to do it myself with a USB drive.

That being said, I'm not even sure if this looks better or worse than before, mostly because nobody really knows how to configure HDR properly yet and shit keeps changing everytime

NYR

I really stopped believing a fix is coming, LG even has on their site to crank up Dynamic Contrast as the "fix".

http://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/product-help/CT20098005-20150410129990-others

The article has been getting flagged by people so someone at LG had to add a comment lol:

NOTE: Gamers have already voiced their disapproval with this update by expressing being very dissatisfied with this article. I sympathize with gamers and appreciate their passion about playing these video games and optimizing picture quality not in an aspect of being more realistic but going all out displaying details on screen in utmost meticulous possibility. I get that!

Problem is when you evaluate article as being very dissatisfactory or dissatisfactory you are really not endorsing the writer to champion your cause and fight for what you believe is right by returning picture adjustments to original settings.

Proper etiquette would have people disapproving of what LG engineers did to their television by providing such feedback to that effect via article evaluation but assessing article more favorably as satisfied or very satisfied.

This way, when presented to headquarter, it will be clear to them that it's not an article issue but an unwarranted and unsolicited action by factory engineers without prior consent from users that is the cause of this upheaval.

So, if the article comes out very satisfactory but the comments disapprove of the action taken, there is a greater chance LG will react in favor of those voicing their discontent with the update, not the article, and make the necessary alterations to the TV and not the article.

Hoping your comprehension in this matter will unite our voices in rectifying occasional unintentional wrongs we may commit and become better listeners with our customers.

Weevilone

I really stopped believing a fix is coming, LG even has on their site to crank up Dynamic Contrast as the "fix".

The article has been getting flagged by people so someone at LG had to add a comment lol:

It's too bad too, LG really had the good support thing going. Looks like I won't ever get HLG. I really hope there's a fix for the display asking if it can update the firmware every day when I turn it on though. I guess I could kill the network connection and just use my devices for apps.

MDave

Damn, updated without knowing what it was going to change.

On the plus side, I think input lag has reduced? Using my PC and TV in SDR Game Mode (Input label also set to Game Console), moving my mouse around I notice a difference (allow for the TV to warm up for a bit so the lag goes down after initial turn on). Will do a real test in a bit.

http://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/product-help/CT20098005-20150410129990-others

LOL, that's awesome.
Funny how the article writer is stating his own opinion using "I" instead of the more common company "we".

Damn, updated without knowing what it was going to change.

On the plus side, I think input lag has reduced? Using my PC and TV in SDR Game Mode (Input label also set to Game Console), moving my mouse around I notice a difference (allow for the TV to warm up for a bit so the lag goes down after initial turn on). Will do a real test in a bit.

No, input lag is still the same 34 ms for the C6/E6 in game mode as measured by myself using my Leo Bodnar input lag tester.

NYR

Just noticed on my E6 the new update defaults Black Level to "Auto" even though that is not even an option of ISF Bright Room.

I noticed the UI on my Satellite was greyer than normal - took awhile to diagnose as I literally bought a new reciever Yesterday. Finally figured it was the TV and and set Black Level to Low. "Auto" isn't even an option anymore.

Just noticed on my E6 the new update defaults Black Level to "Auto" even though that is not even an option of ISF Bright Room.

I noticed the UI on my Satellite was greater than normal - took awhile to diagnose as I literally bought a new reciever Yesterday. Finally figured it was the TV and and set Black Level to Low. "Auto" isn't even an option anymore.

I've never had an 'Auto' option for black level on my E6. After the latest PS4 update my Pro had changed black level to auto (I usually set it to low) which was causing black crush.

NYR

I've never had an 'Auto' option for black level on my E6. After the latest PS4 update my Pro had changed black level to auto (I usually set it to low) which was causing black crush.
I regret not taking a photo. It was so weird to see it since I clicked it and it was t even an option anymore.

LG support Australia got in contact with me today, they were trying to tell me that the recent firmware for the C6/E6/G6 that dimmed the HDR game mode is deliberate and that it apparently effects all the HDR modes and even Dolby Vision. They say the firmware made the HDR more in line with industry standards. I explain to them how that's a load of crap considering it only effects the HDR game mode, they put me through to a product expert who just regurgitated the same hogwash. I ask them why they pulled the update in Australia, why it wasn't included in the patch notes, why it only effects HDR game mode, and also mention the numerous complaints on the internet and how LG support in the UK said they were working on a fix. They say the HDR game mode problem is different in the UK, I politely inform them that it bloody isn't considering this recent firmware effected everyone globally in the same way, told them a simple google search would show the results. They just said my TV isn't broken and that it effected all the HDR modes and that they aren't working on a fix because everything is as intended. They then let me go. Didn't even let me do a survey afterwards knowing I was clearly annoyed and disappointed.

MDave

No, input lag is still the same 34 ms for the C6/E6 in game mode as measured by myself using my Leo Bodnar input lag tester.

Thanks for testing! I noticed I can set a custom resolution at 64hz (but no higher) in Windows and it seems to work on my C6, wonder what results the Leo Bodnar tester would show for that?

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
LG support Australia got in contact with me today, they were trying to tell me that the recent firmware for the C6/E6/G6 that dimmed the HDR game mode is deliberate and that it apparently effects all the HDR modes and even Dolby Vision. They say the firmware made the HDR more in line with industry standards. I explain to them how that's a load of crap considering it only effects the HDR game mode, they put me through to a product expert who just regurgitated the same hogwash. I ask them why they pulled the update in Australia, why it wasn't included in the patch notes, why it only effects HDR game mode, and also mention the numerous complaints on the internet and how LG support in the UK said they were working on a fix. They say the HDR game mode problem is different in the UK, I politely inform them that it bloody isn't considering this recent firmware effected everyone globally in the same way, told them a simple google search would show the results. They just said my TV isn't broken and that it effected all the HDR modes and that they aren't working on a fix because everything is as intended. They then let me go. Didn't even let me do a survey afterwards knowing I was clearly annoyed and disappointed.

The page on LG says the new HDR "concept" is deliberate and considered better internally. Anyone who disagrees can brighten with settings.

Can anyone explain just how much worse it is? And is it obviously broken as opposed to just different? Does changing the settings bring it back to normal-ish levels or is it still broken but playable levels?

The page on LG says the new HDR "concept" is deliberate and considered better internally. Anyone who disagrees can brighten with settings.

Can anyone explain just how much worse it is? And is it obviously broken as opposed to just different? Does changing the settings bring it back to normal-ish levels or is it still broken but playable levels?

It's not better, and LG's response to this has been all over the place. If you want an idea of how dim the screen is now pop your OLED light on around 20-25 with the old HDR game mode. It's actually difficult for me to play at daytime now. The only benefit is less clipping with bright highlights, but that's not a worthy trade-off in my opinion. With this new HDR game mode by default, not does it only crush a big heap of details because the brightness is all whacked, but the contrast is about as good as my last Samsung set that got HDR through an update. The only way to fix it is to use dynamic contrast, but even on high it's not as bright as standard, and considering the old HDR game mode used to output a little brighter than the standard mode it's kinda disappointing. Also, dynamic contrast is not a fix, the drawbacks of that setting have long been documented by enthusiasts who care for a calibrated set. Simply, it destroys the gamma in darks scenes, crushes detail in bright scenes, and is constantly fluctuating when going from dark to bright. Also, this new and improved HDR game mode was coincidentally missing from their patch notes. LG only started pushing that narrative when they seen backlash. Oh, and even funnier, LG UK are apparently working on a fix. It's just a mess of information and I tire of waiting for LG to fix this. I want to play Uncharted on release you bastards!

From what I've seen most people compare HDR Game mode to the HDR Bright or Vivid modes. However the Bright and Vivid modes are purposefully over-brightened / oversaturated to look in shop conditions or lots of ambient light. The HDR Game mode is close to the HDR Standard preset which is indeed closest to the industry norm For HDR.
Playing in a darkened environment this imo produces a very pleasing picture and looks right. During the day it can look a bit dim as do all properly calibrated picture modes, but I don't think it is a dealbreaker. I never tried brightening the picture up with Dynamic Contrast so that might very well alleviate the problem.
Btw I have an EU B6 which had the "borked" HDR Game mode from the start.

I an ideal world LG would offer an HDR Game Bright mode for daytime viewing and an HDR Game Standard mode for an accurate picture. But as it is now I think that LGs stance on the matter is perfectly understandable.

From what I've seen most people compare HDR Game mode to the HDR Bright or Vivid modes. However the Bright and Vivid modes are purposefully over-brightened / oversaturated to look in shop conditions or lots of ambient light. The HDR Game mode is close to the HDR Standard preset which is indeed closest to the industry norm For HDR.
Playing in a darkened environment this imo produces a very pleasing picture and looks right. During the day it can look a bit dim as do all properly calibrated picture modes, but I don't think it is a dealbreaker. I never tried brightening the picture up with Dynamic Contrast so that might very well alleviate the problem.
Btw I have an EU B6 which had the "borked" HDR Game mode from the start.

I an ideal world LG would offer an HDR Game Bright mode for daytime viewing and an HDR Game Standard mode for an accurate picture. But as it is now I think that LGs stance on the matter is perfectly understandable.
Dude, that's not the issue at all. HDR game mode on the C6, E6, and G6 is now about 75 percent darker than the standard HDR mode. Your confusing this problem with the B6 which only has a slightly darker game mode. But nothing compared to what people are suffering with the C6-G6, which is now so dark it's actually crushing details by default and the only solution being dynamic contrast with all of its drawbacks. If my game mode was slightly darker with more detail in highlights or something I wouldn't really mind, but it's currently too damn dim without dynamic contrast for me to even play at daytime. Also, the only reason I believe the B6 is slightly darker in game mode is because it uses a different chipset. This isn't a problem with the C6/E6/G6, their game mode worked perfectly but was recently nerfed big time with the recent firmware for no reason.

Dude, that's not the issue at all. HDR game mode on the C6, E6, and G6 is now about 75 percent darker than the standard HDR mode. Your confusing this problem with the B6 which only has a slightly darker game mode. But nothing compared to what people are suffering with the C6-G6, which is now so dark it's actually crushing details by default and the only solution being dynamic contrast with all of its drawbacks. If my game mode was slightly darker with more detail in highlights or something I wouldn't really mind, but it's currently too damn dim without dynamic contrast for me to even play at daytime. Also, the only reason I believe the B6 is slightly darker in game mode is because it uses a different chipset. This isn't a problem with the C6/E6/G6, their game mode worked perfectly but was recently nerfed big time with the recent firmware for no reason.

I haven't seen C/E/G models myself so I can't comment on those. It's just that I've seen people also complaining about a dim HDR Game mode on the B6 so I wanted to chime in with my experience.
It would be great if someone with measuring equipment could get some actual numbers. If the HDR Game on the other models is as dim as you say then I hope LG comes to its senses.

Thanks for the info !

I'll will use this solution until, hopefully, a patch from lg ^^

edit : I complained here (feedback) http://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/product-help/CT20098005-20150410129990-dark-or-dim-picture

My suggested settings to get the best and most accurate image out of this new game mode would be leaving the colour on 65 (because the recent firmware also desaturates the screen for some reason) and putting dynamic contrast on medium. High just buggers with the gamma too much.

Also, this page has measurements of the new HDR game mode. It discusses the detail lost at the lower end of the spectrum, once again the only fix being dynamic contrast. With the new HDR game mode at without dynamic contrast I lose a great deal of detail in The Last of Us' main menu with the wall in the top left for example, that on top of the dimness and you've got a really disappointing image for no reason. Oh, and for reference people, the C6 wasn't always like this, it used to be perfectly in line with standard. LG's recent update changed this only for the HDR game mode with absolutely no benefits (besides some unintended detail in highlights). My speculation is that this is an old beta version of the HDR game mode that they were testing before releasing the game mode we used to have and for whatever reason this old game mode replaced the previously better calibrated one with the last firmware accidentally. Not enough uproar for LG to fix it obviously.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...-lg-c6-b6-owners-thread-702.html#post54584280

NYR

Please someone post detailed instructions on how to downgrade the firmware.

There are none, there is no documented way to do it. AVS forums would be a better place to keep an eye on if they figure out a way to fix the issue.

SOLDIER

There are none, there is no documented way to do it. AVS forums would be a better place to keep an eye on if they figure out a way to fix the issue.

I thought some people here managed to pull it off?

In any case, didn't LG already say they were working on a fix?

Deepo

I thought some people here managed to pull it off?

In any case, didn't LG already say they were working on a fix?

I gave it a go after upgrading to the new firmware by mistake (doh), but I ended up with the same problem as you: The TV won't connect to the internet when you change the DNS address to your local PC ip.

Dave_6

I turned off auto updating on my B6 a couple months ago so hopefully mine will be ok until they get this fixed (if they do).

holygeesus

Banned
I turned off auto updating on my B6 a couple months ago so hopefully mine will be ok until they get this fixed (if they do).

If you have HDR Game mode on your B6 you already have the dimmer picture - that was what introduced it to us owners. The uproar now is LG have applied it to every other model too. It's always been dimmer on UK B6 sets with HDR Game.

Dave_6

If you have HDR Game mode on your B6 you already have the dimmer picture - that was what introduced it to us owners. The uproar now is LG have applied it to every other model too. It's always been dimmer on UK B6 sets with HDR Game.

Ah. I'm in the US though; same for here?

Still haven't updated and I guess I'll hold off. So far only one poster with positive comments on the firmware and the rest seem pretty negative. Seems it's a mixed bag at the moment so best to stick to the old firmware if you can I guess.

borges

Banned
Quick question... Im planning to buy a 4K TV later this year. What is a good input lag range? Something between 25-35 is ok? Or at 35 the slow response is noticeable? I tend to play games like Halo 5 or Forza 6 a lot, games where input lag is critical IMO for a good experience. Any experiences?

Top Bottom