• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile Fall of Oriath Expansion Now Live (SIX New Acts)

Skittles

Saying this seems like an easy way to scare away people new to the game.

I'm new to the game, but I'm really familiar with Diablo III. What's PoE's excuse for not having a way to reset your passive skill tree, especially when you admit that it's not balanced and very easy to mess up unless following a guide?

Leveling my current character into the endgame feels pointless now knowing that I'll potentially be useless and need to start over from scratch.
Because theres already a currency that refunds a skill point. If you're scared about following a guide then this game is not for you. It is far too complex to just jump in blind. Itd be like starting dota 2 without reading anything/following a guide. Just kill your pride and follow a guide, theres plenty of build diversity

nbraun80

I have just installed it and am new, can some body explain the league system to me? should i play on harbinger(its defaulted)?

Yeah just play on the newest league(harbinger). Basically every 3 months or so they do a fresh league usually adding a new game mechanic or event.

I have just installed it and am new, can some body explain the league system to me? should i play on harbinger(its defaulted)?

Leagues are new economies that everyone starts fresh from and run about 3-4 months before the next one starts up. Leagues will have some kind of gimmick to them normally and if they're well receive and practical, will be added into the main game.

Once a league is over, all your characters will be moved to the standard server, along with all the items in your stash. It's suggested you start in the new league, since that's where everyone is and you don't need to be playing forever to buy something since everyone is fresh and all the money/gear has to be generated all over again.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I think it's high time I give this game a fair chance. I've been meaning to play it since it was released, but I always get overwhelmed by its systems an hour or so into the game. I'll get a guide for a build that interests me, stick close to it and try to see it to the end :)

Is there any microtransaction that makes your life much easier? Any must-have?

Skittles

I think it's high time I give this game a fair chance. I've been meaning to play it since it was released, but I always get overwhelmed by its systems an hour or so into the game. I'll get a guide for a build that interests me, stick close to it and try to see it to the end :)

Buy a currency(essence/divination if you want) too a nd a few premium stash tabs and youre set. Next weekend theyre running a sale on them so pick them up then.

Will there be anymore expansions after this? They said 10 expansions, but this feels like 5 or 6 new expansions and a bunch of "revisited" content... still great game.

Stash tabs.

If you want to play this game for awhile, currency stash tabs will help keep everything nice and compact. Cards stash tabs will also free up a lot of space if you want to collect them for items and such. After that, a premium stash tabs let you rename/color the tab and sell items on poetrade. If you're big on getting currency, you'll need this tab.

Will there be anymore expansions after this? They said 10 expansions, but this feels like 5 or 6 new expansions and a bunch of "revisited" content... still great game.

Likely in a few years. Till then they'll just do big updates every new league most times with balance and new gimmicks and skills to play with.

I'm not sure if I'll start playing right away, but I always start on the new HC league. Speaking of which, I haven't played in a while. Did they change the temporary leagues structure beyond Standard and Hardcore?

They've added an option called Solo Self-Found to each league which wasn't there the last time that I'd played. It disables interactions with other players (partying, trading) but you can permanently opt-out at any time.

Arulan

They've added an option called Solo Self-Found to each league which wasn't there the last time that I'd played. It disables interactions with other players (partying, trading) but you can permanently opt-out at any time.

Thanks. That's an interesting option. I know some streamers would limit themselves this way, but it's nice to have. I think I'll probably stick to the new Hardcore league though. I enjoy the barter system and having to find deals in town.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm going to attempt a bleed/poison build with the new passives, see how well it works. Chance of success 0.1%

bathsalts

Finally was able to get in after some difficulties earlier this evening, is everyone dealing with a good bit of lag in general gameplay?

I'm going to attempt a bleed/poison build with the new passives, see how well it works. Chance of success 0.1%

Going this route as well, the bleed at least. Gladiator I think, I don't want to use sunder again so we'll see how it plays out, maybe cyclone, blade vortex open to suggestions.

If anyone wants in on the GAF guild we have just send me a PM with your character/account name and I will add you once I get a chance to get on.

Bolivar687

Banned
1) I still have no idea what is currency in this game, or what can be currency and when it should be used as currency. It was especially frustrating when I was starting because I was running out of currency/items all the time. Apparently some of the currency/items I've been getting after selling junk can also be used to buff my gear or something?

Personally, I don't see this game as having currency at all - I don't buy items or gems from vendors, the scraps and shards you get from them are more about keeping you stocked to improve yourself while out in the field. The shards you get from vendors stack into orbs which you should be using on items you find in the field as the primary means of equipping your character and upgrading gear. You often find normal items w/o magical properties but have higher base stats than your equipped items. That's when you use an orb of transmutation to upgrade it into a magic item and an orb of alteration if the magic properties don't enhance your build, and a chromatic orb if the slots don't match the gems you need in them.

2) I just don't understand the skill tree. On one hand it's very reminiscent of FFX's sphere grid, but don't quite work the same. I have no idea which path to follow on my witch for example. All the guides I've looked at separate the point allocation in level groups which I find it weird. And can I even reset the whole thing at once?

It's FFX on steroids without the locked nodes hindering your customization. The big reason why so many D2 fans swear by PoE is because the game lets you make real decisions about building a unique character. You don't need to worry about high level build strategy, you can generally get through and enjoy the game playing it your way.

If you want some direction, you should look at the bigger nodes towards the end of the grid and then follow the paths to them. Those nodes have game-changing mechanics and are the goals you should be working towards in your character build. The nodes you activate along the way will mean you have earned the necessary advantages to really capitalize on the larger nodes while activated. Try to get a good mix of stats, your Witch should be boosting the particular element of the spells she's currently using, while generally going for damage output, energy shield, and crits.

3) Gems. Another aspect of the game that's reminiscent of FFVII's materia system, but not really the same thing. The majority of the guides available online are titled after the main spell gem in your collection? My problem is that the same spell/ability gem exists in different variations, like gear. If for example I have an arc gems that I acquired at the beginning of my game should I stop leveling it up and throw it away if I get a better version? Or do all gems once maxxed out all have the same stats? And does the progress from leveling a gem carry over to another one somehow? Do they give birth to level 1 gems like materias in FFVII after you max them out?

Similar to the sphere grid, this is FFVII with more utility and creative twists from the linked support gems. Yes, if you find a gem with the same ability that does more damage than you're doing now, you should absolutely swap it and sell the other one or put it in your chest for another character. The only thing you should stop to think about are the Vaal gems - they're a lot more powerful but they run on charges from killing enough enemies, not mana. They're devastating but you won't be using them every fight like you can with the vanilla version.

4) Still not sure what gear should I leave behind and what to carry with me either for upgrading my current one or selling it. Diablo 3 and the Torchlight games kinda made it very easy to vacuum up everything on your way and then getting rid of it for money or crafting mats. What should I be looking for when deciding to pick up gear from the ground?

As I mentioned above, you should pick up normal gear with better base stats and then upgrade them into magic items with your orbs. You should also compare magical properties and gem slots on similar items, keeping the one that better suits your build. Bonus strength or armor are probably not preferable for a Witch, since you've probably noticed her gear and grid generally requires/boosts intelligence and energy shield. Lastly, you should pick up rare and magic items even if they're not a part of your build to fill up your inventory for more valuable orbs when you return to town, which you should be getting enough scraps and scrolls to do frequently.

edit: I see a lot comments saying build guides are a pre-requisite but I honestly feel if you just play the game you'll pick up on things intuitively. I have 57 hours, made it to the post-story act, played a bunch of expansion content and I've never used a guide. Passive resets are common enough if you really go out of your way to screw yourself. If you just go down the passive skill tree, you'll start to notice the kinds of items and ability gems your character should be using, which in turn will inform you which stats you should be boosting with item magical properties and the skill tree. My girl is absolutely not a gamer in any shape or form, she has enough trouble with a dualshock but she's pretty good at Path of Exile and can make customization decisions with minimal input from me. Likewise, she has a postgame character, gets through endgame content just fine, and I think the only time either of us used a passive reset was when it was mandatory because they changed the balance.

That's good. Any builds you recommend?

If you havn't played in years, following builds is going to make you quit again easily because they possibly wouldn't be tailored to your playstyle. This game is best enjoyed when you try and fail over and over on the HC leagues and then through each death, making a better variation on your own.

Also gear matters, going through builds won't help as much if you don't have the specific gear to make it work usually.

Jamaro85

Really enjoyed this game when I played it years ago when there were only three acts. It really scratched that Diablo 2 itch for me. It sounds like it's come quite a long way since then.

If you havn't played in years, following builds is going to make you quit again easily because they possibly wouldn't be tailored to your playstyle. This game is best enjoyed when you try and fail over and over on the HC leagues and then through each death, making a better variation on your own.

Also gear matters, going through builds won't help as much if you don't have the specific gear to make it work usually.

Actually the contrary, I would've quit a lot faster if I would've had a crappy cookie cutter build that wasn't viable end game. My very first character I made had terrible skill tree allocation and when I looked at people streaming it was almost like a different game (near launch, btw). I didn't quit exactly, I just stopped playing because real life.

Saying this game is best enjoyed when you try and fail over and over on HC leagues is merely your opinion, and not a popular one given that there's hundreds upon hundreds of builds and theory-crafters out there. Builds are great to follow for the general premise and I've seen tons of topics for particular builds dozens upon dozens of pages long with people splitting said build into their own build, or theorycrafting what works better for them, etc.

I think I'm gonna go totems again and eventually go sunder. Hopefully not too much changed in 3.0.

Actually the contrary, I would've quit a lot faster if I would've had a crappy cookie cutter build that wasn't viable end game. My very first character I made had terrible skill tree allocation and when I looked at people streaming it was almost like a different game (near launch, btw). I didn't quit exactly, I just stopped playing because real life.

Saying this game is best enjoyed when you try and fail over and over on HC leagues is merely your opinion, and not a popular one given that there's hundreds upon hundreds of builds and theory-crafters out there. Builds are great to follow for the general premise and I've seen tons of topics for particular builds dozens upon dozens of pages long with people splitting said build into their own build, or theorycrafting what works better for them, etc.

I think I'm gonna go totems again and eventually go sunder. Hopefully not too much changed in 3.0.

I wasn't trying to deny builds from others are bad.

My point was that it's best to get a general idea of the changes that happened over the years, get a feel for it then look into builds when you understand why said build is using ____. I see this all the time, new comers asking how to play this game and everyone says, go look at builds, use build, and suddenly ... win? or not? You say totem build, what totem build?

Damn this game is fun. It sure is slower than Diablo 3, but I think that's more in line with Diablo 2's starting parts.

Minorly annoyed I need to follow a loose guide to avoid getting brickwalled late game but hey, stylistic choice.

I think this game is the epitome of stylistic choice being used for actual reasons rather than laziness. There's something to using a scroll of town portal or identify to do those two actions rather than a skill on a recharge.

I wasn't trying to deny builds from others are bad.

My point was that it's best to get a general idea of the changes that happened over the years, get a feel for it then look into builds when you understand why said build is using ____. I see this all the time, new comers asking how to play this game and everyone says, go look at builds, use build, and suddenly ... win? or not? You say totem build, what totem build?

Your post implied nothing of the sort, really. But I do agree with this one.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1904823

Is the build I'm thinking of, more or less. Gonna deviate a bit but that's the general idea.

diablogod

Hardcore mode is the opposite of what I would recommend to newcomers. This isn't Dark Souls where you can just run right back to where you died. That's many many of hours of progress wasted when you die.

To anyone who is to worried about putting skills into the wrong places if you can understand the trade economy at all you should be able to trade for orbs of regret no problem to respec your dude in the later game.

Damn this game is fun. It sure is slower than Diablo 3, but I think that's more in line with Diablo 2's starting parts.

Minorly annoyed I need to follow a loose guide to avoid getting brickwalled late game but hey, stylistic choice.

I think this game is the epitome of stylistic choice being used for actual reasons rather than laziness. There's something to using a scroll of town portal or identify to do those two actions rather than a skill on a recharge.

It's slower than D3 at low levels, but as you get better gear and more support links it becomes faster, especially endgame. A lot of PoE endgame is one shotting entire screens and moving around with full screen near instant movement abilities, while D3 endgame is mostly about grouping a large amount of mobs together with super inflated health then aoeing them down over the next 1-2mins, collect orbs then move to the next pack. I guess it's fairly similar to D3 when you're farming death breath and stuff though with like In Geom speed run builds, especially the good ones.

D3 does a better job at making you feel strong earlier for sure however.

BobLoblaw

Banned
I sank almost 300 hours into this game before bailing out due to the bullshit reflect damage. That mechanic single-handledly killed my interest in an otherwise good game.

Syril

Wtf, won't even bother with this shit if such messages can't be disabled.

There's like 20 different options to control what kinds of notifications and chat messages you see but nothing for all the "league first" crap.

Your post implied nothing of the sort, really. But I do agree with this one.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1904823

Is the build I'm thinking of, more or less. Gonna deviate a bit but that's the general idea.
Those are going to be a bit painful to level with because the health nerf to totems, but it's still a great endgame build. Maybe see about leveling with flameblast totems and swap if the skill tree isn't too different.

RK9039

Man, part 2 and even post-Act 4 in part 1 is so awesome. Doing it again on another character.

Been messing around with Fire Nova on my Shadow and Frostbolt totem on my Templar.

AU Tiger

Tried to play a little on release day and day after. Ping times were savage. fired it back up yesterday and was back down to around 50~ish ms where it usually lives.

Rolled a new build and so far, pretty much the same as I expected but I should hopefully be able to plow through the first Acts pretty quickly and see the new stuff.

Drazgul

Three times I've tried the labyrinth, three times I've been disconnected in the 2nd or 3rd last section of it. Free game and all but this is still real annoying.

Altazor

is it me or is
Innocence, in Act V, after killing Avarius
a huge difficulty spike? I had like, no major trouble in finishing Act IV (except for dying a couple of times to Piety before getting the hang of her moves) and advancing until the "Death to Purity" quest but that fucking boss... I think I must've died more than 20-30 times in a row before finally killing it.

Thankfully I'm not playing on Hardcore or I would've been incredibly pissed off.

bati

PoE in general has very high incoming damage. Act 4 when it used to be new felt like that too but now they expect you to be res capped (as evidenced by the new penalty system) and up to date with equipment more often than before.

Top Bottom