• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile 2 New trailer is really impressive, a good contender for Diablo IV ?

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Developer Grinding Gear Games just livestreamed a look at Path of Exile 2’s new second act, you can check out the gameplay and the latest trailer below:

unknown.png

The gameplay show off a couple of new weapon classes, the deadly spear and the versatile crossbow, which can unleash different types of attacks depending on what Bolt Skill Gems you load your weapon with.
We also get a look at a couple of miniboss fights and the Adura Caravan, a moving home base you’ll visit in between missions.

As solid as the action looks, arguably the most impressive thing about this new Path of Exile 2 footage are the game’s visuals. Not only are they extremely detailed, but GGG have done a lot to improve their animations, with your character and enemies moving in subtly different ways depending on the situation.
Battles also leave detailed scars on the environment, with piles of charred corpses and broken bones being left behind after particularly intense encounters.

Chris Wilson (producer at GGG) during a press Q&A confirmed Path of Exile 2 will very likely be a PC and next-gen console exclusive, with crossplay being something the team is looking into.
How PoE2 being next-gen exclusive will work when GGG has promised Path of Exile 1 and 2 will share new endgame content has yet to be determined.

436440609.jpg
436431281.jpg
436464484.jpg
436475625.jpg

heading.png

Path of Exile 2 is a new seven-act storyline that is available alongside the original Path of Exile 1 campaign.
Both the old and new storyline lead to the same shared Atlas endgame. Path of Exile 2 retains all expansion content that has been created over the last six years and introduces a new skill system, ascendancy classes, engine improvements and more.

heading.png

Path of Exile 2's characters are a new set of Exiles who fall into the same class archetypes as those in the original game. As such, they can pick from a set of 19 new Ascendancy Classes that differ from the old ones that are still available in the Path of Exile 1 campaign.

We don't have a release date for Path of Exile 2 yet, but the Beta is unlikely to start until 2022 at the earliest.

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
Is there going to be a streamlined version for newcomers?

Maybe to someone somewhere it looks amazing that content from six campaigns will be included, but to me that's awful. I hate coming into games with so much stuff that you just get lost, you don't know where to start and how to proceed and online guides are all over the place after so much content.

I also hope they streamline that skill tree. It looked cool in the beginning, but now I don't want to even look at it, it makes me sick.

I'm sure all of this is silly for long time fans, but as I said I'm asking for some accessibility for newcomers.

The game does look grrat and I like top down arpg games, so is like to play it, but we'll see how it turns out.

GHG

Is there going to be a streamlined version for newcomers?

Maybe to someone somewhere it looks amazing that content from six campaigns will be included, but to me that's awful. I hate coming into games with so much stuff that you just get lost, you don't know where to start and how to proceed and online guides are all over the place after so much content.

I also hope they streamline that skill tree. It looked cool in the beginning, but now I don't want to even look at it, it makes me sick.

I'm sure all of this is silly for long time fans, but as I said I'm asking for some accessibility for newcomers.

The game does look grrat and I like top down arpg games, so is like to play it, but we'll see how it turns out.

Play a different game ffs.

Sick of shit being streamlined and dumbed down for an audience that aren't even interested in the games in question and just bounce around various games moaning about "accessibility". There's no end to this, nobody cares. The audience that exists for these games exists for a reason and there are thousands of other games out there for you to try.

If you want some streamlined trash that lacks meaningful depth then go play Torchlight 3, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Last edited:

TheGejsza

Sick of shit being streamlined and dumbed down for an audience that aren't even interested in the games in question and just bounce around various games moaning about "accessibility". There's no end to this, nobody cares. The audience that exists for these games exists for a reason and there are thousands of other games out there for you to try.

If you want some streamlined trash that lacks meaningful depth then go play Torchlight 3, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
I mean POE would really benefit from some streamlining. It's biggest advantage is slowly turning into it's biggest fault - those dozens of updates and games mechanics are piling up and they are starting to go full-circle. Many of them are doing similiar thing but a bit diffrently. Imagine getting now into PoE now and you have to learn like 10+ league mechanics, some dated as fuck, some meta. All are pretty conviluted with currency, unique items, NPC's etc.

I am a hardcore gamer, I like compicated games, and had like 3 or 4 tries to get into PoE and when I finally got sucked in I dumped the game because of... trade. I just hate out'of'the'game trading (PTSD after Diablo AH). I also hate the speed and braindead'ness of end game once you achive deserible build. You just 1hit wipe screen and RUN.

I will try PoE2 but I really hope there will be some kind of update to Solo self found so I would be able to reach meta/optimal builds without trade. And also hope the pace of meta-gameplay will change...

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

You is what’s wrong with PoE

Orpheum

It looks so good!

I played PoE only once and didn't really engage in endgame however the story and world itself was more than enough to pull me in. And it's F2P, what the fuck...

hlm666

80% owned by tencent vs 5% owned by tencent. What's your choice?

No one cares they own like what 49% of epic? Not sure activision is much better anyway, bobby giving himself huge bonus for firing people is obviously a class act we should be rewarding right.

Phase

How does PoE monetize?

Usually not a big fan of F2P.
Character customization and inventory space, etc. but unless you really care about saving a bunch of shit you barely notice it. There's enough inventory space as-is. I played through all of the acts and didn't spend a penny. Game is dope so I might give them something, but you aren't forced to at all. I didn't do any endgame so maybe that's where they focus more of the monetization, but idk personally.

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
I liked PoE, the gem system and the big skill tree. But in endgame many specs ended in spamming 1 button. Hopelfully part 2 makes this better.

GHG

I mean POE would really benefit from some streamlining. It's biggest advantage is slowly turning into it's biggest fault - those dozens of updates and games mechanics are piling up and they are starting to go full-circle. Many of them are doing similiar thing but a bit diffrently. Imagine getting now into PoE now and you have to learn like 10+ league mechanics, some dated as fuck, some meta. All are pretty conviluted with currency, unique items, NPC's etc.

I am a hardcore gamer, I like compicated games, and had like 3 or 4 tries to get into PoE and when I finally got sucked in I dumped the game because of... trade. I just hate out'of'the'game trading (PTSD after Diablo AH). I also hate the speed and braindead'ness of end game once you achive deserible build. You just 1hit wipe screen and RUN.

I will try PoE2 but I really hope there will be some kind of update to Solo self found so I would be able to reach meta/optimal builds without trade. And also hope the pace of meta-gameplay will change...

The whole point of POE is to be the anti-Diablo 3.

The moment it gets streamlined and dumbed down it loses it's edge. Like I said, there are plenty of other "streamlined" ARPG's, if that's what someone is looking for why not go and play one of those instead of wishing one of the few ARPG's that still has a ton of depth and build options becomes exactly like everything else on the market? It's utterly bizarre.

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
The environment seems to have zero destructibility.
It still looks good, but that`s really a big negative in "atmosphere" for me.

GHG

My main issue with Poe was it felt cheap and the animations felt shit compared to D3.

Wolcen has amazing animation for these kind of games, will this at least match that?

I think one of the big things that set wolcen apart visually (and why it was so satisfying to play despite it's shortcomings) was how the enemies reacted visually to being hit.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

I get the mentality, but isn't POE2 literally just POE1 but with tons of bloated shit cut out because the game became a mess? And the new campaign of course. Genuine question, that seems to be what I hear.

geary

I get the mentality, but isn't POE2 literally just POE1 but with tons of bloated shit cut out because the game became a mess? And the new campaign of course. Genuine question, that seems to be what I hear.
PoE2 will share end game with PoE1. When you start a new character you have a option to choose to level in PoE1 through 10 Acts or in PoE2 through 7 new acts.
Also, the gems, ascendancy and almost everything else is redesigned.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
PoE2 will share end game with PoE1. When you start a new character you have a option to choose to level in PoE1 through 10 Acts or in PoE2 through 7 new acts.
Also, the gems, ascendancy and almost everything else is redesigned.

The stuff I've heard about is more layer upon layer of now irrelevant seasonal mechanics, but against, only second hand information, I never played it. Probably should but D2 is out "soon" so this can wait.

Spukc

Still inferior to diablo 3 in that department imo.
wolcen is the only one that came close to the diablo 3 how hits land.
you feel powerfull as fuck.

no other arpg has nailed this last epoch , grimdawn , poe , torchlight or that warhammer
damn shame wolcen has so many other issues. I did put like 70 hours in it.

An arpg is all about building to become a demigod imo

TheGejsza

The whole point of POE is to be the anti-Diablo 3.

The moment it gets streamlined and dumbed down it loses it's edge. Like I said, there are plenty of other "streamlined" ARPG's, if that's what someone is looking for why not go and play one of those instead of wishing one of the few ARPG's that still has a ton of depth and build options becomes exactly like everything else on the market? It's utterly bizarre.
Those dated, bloated leagues mechanics is not depth. You are somehow misunderstanding the word "streamlining". It's not the same as casualize. Streamlined =/= Casualized. No one wants to take depth away from POE but it's retarded that to get any grasp of game mechanics/gameplay systems you need to RELAY on multiple other sites/plugins etc.

Post 3ds Monster Hunter games are a great example of streamlining experiance - they tweaked some features that did not enrich the gameplay in any valuable way like mining making core gameplay (fighting monsters) more exposed to broader audience. Did they casualize the game? Hell no, both player and monsters movsets are even more complicated than ever. But the did smoothen the experiance.

Those dated, bloated leagues mechanics is not depth. You are somehow misunderstanding the word "streamlining". It's not the same as casualize. Streamlined =/= Casualized. No one wants to take depth away from POE but it's retarded that to get any grasp of game mechanics/gameplay systems you need to RELAY on multiple other sites/plugins etc.

Post 3ds Monster Hunter games are a great example of streamlining experiance - they tweaked some features that did not enrich the gameplay in any valuable way like mining making core gameplay (fighting monsters) more exposed to broader audience. Did they casualize the game? Hell no, both player and monsters movsets are even more complicated than ever. But the did smoothen the experiance.

Isn’t po2 a new engine though ?

Rikkori

I don't really hold hope for Diablo, but I was disappointed with what GGG showed now. The presentation of the trailers was very weak with basic mistakes such as leaving item drop names visible, showcasing shaky footage (poor frametimes), as well as other things, not to mention they keep producing the shorter ones in 1080p which is moronic in 2021. While the art style of the desert area was good it looks off to me colour wise, and I don't mean in the sense of it's dusty so it's not gonna be vibrant (duh, it's a desert), but something is off with how the light works on an engine-level in this area and it just looks awful, totally desaturated. The hud also looks much, much uglier with what looks like a modded in mish-mash of elements rather than a professional job done by the art team to keep it cohesive with the game - they should just keep the old one if they aren't able to do better, just don't make it worse ffs! Then there's the level design which was meh, together with the bosses - like wtf? Why is this king supposedly in this rinky dink little square area, it just looks like an amateur week-end project by a random dude. And on and on it goes, I don't even want to get into it further.

PoE has some fundamental issues which I just don't see being addressed by PoE 2 from anything they've shown or said, though I was hopeful when it first got revealed. For the people who already love it for how it is they have to fix performance (particularly related to item drops), which we've seen 0 evidence of. One big issue I have with it on a base level is the homogeneity of gameplay - it's all one big projectile fest in its majority (with the remaining being circle aoe effect), with various re-colours or names. In particular no melee skill really feels melee, but if you like bow characters, sure, enjoy.

It's still the best ARGP ever made, but it's sad to see how little it progresses in pure gameplay feel.

Tg89

Good contender how? Sales? No, Diablo 3 sold like a bajillion copies, D4 will do the same.

As the better game? Yeah, probably. Blizzard is pretty trash these days.

Last edited:

GymWolf

wolcen is the only one that came close to the diablo 3 how hits land.
you feel powerfull as fuck.

no other arpg has nailed this last epoch , grimdawn , poe , torchlight or that warhammer
damn shame wolcen has so many other issues. I did put like 70 hours in it.

An arpg is all about building to become a demigod imo
I'm waiting for the promised but never really landed control support on pc for wolcen (i already bought the game when it launched but never played for this reason), but for what i watched on video, diablo 3 still has the edge, it's just how the bodies go flying with the perfect weight, not too heavy or light, not a lot of people do that right and you have bodies who fly like they weight nothing or too heavy and they don't fly enough.

I still have to find something more meaty in an arpg than pounding someone with the monk (or really any class) in diablo 3.
(It still looks better than diablo 4 demo tbh)

Wolcen looked impactful enough (literally the only reason why i buy these games, yeah i'm a strange fella) but not on diablo 3 level.

Have you tried the vikings one? That one wasn't half bad either.

Last edited:
I mean POE would really benefit from some streamlining. It's biggest advantage is slowly turning into it's biggest fault - those dozens of updates and games mechanics are piling up and they are starting to go full-circle.
League mechanics need to be just that - Mechanics that disappear when the league is done.

Right now it seems that every league mechanic is just added to the next league. While this adds content and multiple paths to get/craft gear, the game has become way too bloated. They need to do a bit of housecleaning and remove some of the league mechanics that either no longer fit (because of feature creep) or just aren't popular.

Also, I'd love to see delve become an alternative leveling path instead of the main story. The delve only special event proved that it would work and work well.

Spukc

I'm waiting for the promised but never really landed control support on pc for wolcen (i already bought the game when it launched but never played for this reason), but for what i watched on video, diablo 3 still has the edge, it's just how the bodies go flying with the perfect weight, not too heavy or light, not a lot of people do that right and you have bodies who fly like they weight nothing or too heavy and they don't fly enough.

I still have to find something more meaty in an arpg than pounding someone with the monk (or really any class) in diablo 3.
(It still looks better than diablo 4 demo tbh)

Wolcen looked impactful enough (literally the only reason why i buy these games, yeah i'm a strange fella) but not on diablo 3 level.

Have you tried the vikings one? That one wasn't half bad either.
i think wolves of midgard lacks good rewards.. impact of hits. seems ok.
You should really give wolcen a go get past lvl 20 or so see how it feels,

it's aint no diablo 3 .. nothing is imo

GymWolf

i think wolves of midgard lacks good rewards.. impact of hits. seems ok.
You should really give wolcen a go get past lvl 20 or so see how it feels,

it's aint no diablo 3 .. nothing is imo
I only play these games with a controller, i hate using m+k in general.

I only played diablo 3 because it was also on console.

The wolcen devs promised controller support after 6 months from launch but i'm still waiting, the bastards already have my money tho.

Last edited:

.Pennywise

Banned
It looks graphically impressive.

Now, mechanically? I don't know.

If anything, they seem graphically on par, with Diablo IV having much better animations. The main thing for me is, I'm not a kid with 14h a day free to spare playing the same game. Hence, I'd prefer to invest my ARPG time on a ARPG that brings me the same visually joy as any other, but mechanically doesn't ask me a PhD on some obtuse game mechanics that at the end of the day only rise numbers.

Spukc

I only play these games with a controller, i hate using m+k in general.

I only played diablo 3 because it was also on console.

The wolcen devs promised controller support after 6 months from launch but i'm still waiting, the bastards already have my money tho.
yeah takes a lot of getting used to.
i prefer d3 with gamepad even after playing pc for more then 1000 hours

Last edited:

Tomeru

It looks graphically impressive.

Now, mechanically? I don't know.

If anything, they seem graphically on par, with Diablo IV having much better animations. The main thing for me is, I'm not a kid with 14h a day free to spare playing the same game. Hence, I'd prefer to invest my ARPG time on a ARPG that brings me the same visually joy as any other, but mechanically doesn't ask me a PhD on some obtuse game mechanics that at the end of the day only rise numbers.

Disagree on the diablo 4 having better animations.

So a game asks you to put some meaningful thought into playing it = need phd? Poe is not nearly hard as ppl still think it is. The best tools everyone have in regard to this gane is the massive knowlegde the community ammased. Use it. Embrace it. No phd required.

Top Bottom