• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV |OT| Blessed Mother... Save Us

Antwix

Some big changes coming for Season 2 which starts October 17. Seems like they really got the picture that everyone left the game...

I highlighted some of the major/substantial changes coming. Also there is going to be another dev stream on Oct 10 and actual patch notes will be released then.

5 New Endgame Bosses​

• Five Endgame bosses have been added across Sanctuary to increase the variety of Endgame experiences offered, providing better opportunities to obtain specific, Unique and Uber Unique items.
    • The new Boss fights are unlocked based on succeeding in different tasks across Sanctuary, with different resources required for facing each Boss, and each new fight becoming available as you progress through World Tiers III and IV.
  • The reward pools for these Endgame bosses have been significantly improved:
    • Each boss drops specific Uniques, exclusive to each individual boss fight.
      • The Duriel boss fight has significantly increased the chance to drop Uber Uniques, making the process of accessing these coveted items more achievable.
    • Each individual boss also has a chance to drop unique cosmetics specific to each boss, making the access of specific cosmetics in-game more targeted.

Endgame Activities​

• The time between Legion Events has been reduced from 30 to 25 minutes.
    • Legion Event warning timers increased from 5 to 10 minutes.
    • Fixed an issue where the Legion Event pin would not display at the edge of a player’s mini-map if a Whisper was active for the Legion Event.
  • The World Boss fight is available more frequently to players on all World Tiers as the Spawn Times have been reduced from 6 hours to 3 hours and 30 minutes.
    • World Boss warning timers have increased from 30 to 60 minutes.
    • Fixed an issue where the World Boss pin would not display at the edge of a player’s mini-map if a Whisper was active for the World Boss.
    • For increased visibility, a message is now broadcast to all players when the World Boss is 15 minutes away from spawning.
  • Gold and Experience rewards have been increased from the following activities:
    • Helltide Chests
    • Cashing in Grim Favors
    • Completing individual Whispers
  • To ensure enemies constantly give experience relative to the current player level, the Nightmare Sigils rewarded from Whisper Caches will now always be within 5 Levels of the highest-level Nightmare Dungeon the player has completed.
  • To improve readability, Helltide Chests now have specific icons on the map to indicate their type.
  • Whisper Caches adhere to the item slot of the cache.

Experience and Monster Levelling​

• Decreased the time spent to reach level 100, making the journey about 40% faster. The experience gained from killing monsters at level 50+ has been significantly increased and rises steadily as you level.
  • Prevent Monsters from being less powerful as character level increases by making Monsters in World Tier III and IV match the current player level at a minimum after Levels 55 and 75 respectively. This increases the overall experience of levelling, making it much smoother.
  • Incenses now grant a bonus to Experience and persist after death.
  • Increased the potency of Experience bonuses (Elixir, Season Blessings) by making them multiplicative with the World Tier bonus.

Nightmare Dungeons​

• Expedited the demon slaying process as Nightmare Sigils now teleports you directly into the Nightmare Dungeon.
  • Avoided some players not getting Nightmare Sigils from Dungeons that have no final boss, Nightmare Sigils are now rewarded upon completing a Nightmare Dungeon instead of final boss defeat.
  • Objectives have been removed from some Dungeons, only defeating the boss is needed to defeat the Nightmare Dungeon.
  • Multiple Nightmare Dungeon Afflictions have been updated.
    • Backstabbers
      • Close Monster attacks from behind cause you to become Vulnerable. Vulnerable damage taken is increased by X%.
    • Monster Critical Resist
      • Monster attacks reduce the damage of your Critical Strikes by 3 seconds by X%, stacking up to Y%.
    • Death Pulse
      • Prevent death pulses on monsters that have explosions on death.
      • Prevent death pulses from spawning repeatedly on top of each other.
    • Lightning Storm
      • Being ‘shocked’ while in the protection dome grants 35% bonus Movement Speed for 5 seconds.
      • Only starts when players are in combat.
      • Only starts if the protection dome caster has a direct path to its targeted player.
    • Drifting Shade
      • Duration reduced from 5 seconds to 3 seconds.
      • Respawn time increased by 2 seconds.
  • Massively reduced backtracking by placing all Dungeon objectives on the critical path of a dungeon, making them much harder to miss by taking a wrong turn.
  • Many dungeon layouts have been redesigned.
  • Improved the overall readability of Traps by enhancing their overall visual effects and reducing their crowd control.
  • Endcaps have been added to ensure Dungeon layouts don’t feel too linear.
  • Paragon Glyph experience has been increased.

Events​

• Made Dungeon Events more worthwhile and enticing to players by increasing their monster density.
  • NPC’s should no longer be killed with one-hit in World Tiers III and IV.

Item Adjustments​

• Significantly freed up inventory space by making Gems a crafting material. Gem materials can now be taken to a Jeweler for crafting.
  • Prevented players from losing their progress on a Hardcore character from connectivity issues, Scrolls of Escape are now consumed if a Hardcore player disconnects while in combat, teleporting them to a safe location.
  • Reduced the chance of being locked into certain stats on a Legendary item by reducing their overall enchanting costs.
  • Reduced overburdening inventories and causing unnecessary trips into town:
    • In World Tier III: Normal, Magic, and non-sacred Rare items will drop as crafting resources.
    • In World Tier IV: Normal, Magic, and non-ancestral Rare items will drop as crafting resources.
      • Gold drop rates in World Tiers III and IV have been increased to compensate for this.
  • Higher level monsters in World Tiers III and IV drop Sacred and Ancestral items of greater Item Power potential.
  • Normal Whisper cache rewards now provide +10 Item Power. Upgraded caches now provide +20 Item Power rewards.
  • Helltide cache rewards now provide rewards of +20 Item Power value.

Misc. Improvements​

• Reduced the time spent having to regain renown each season, all earned renown rewards persist between seasons and characters (this does not include experience or Gold).
    • Earned Skill Points, Potion Capacity, Max Obols and Paragon Points earned from Renown will persist between each character. Renown Experience and Gold must be earned on each character.
      • For example:
        • Character 1: earns Renown Tier II in a region
          • Gains 1 Skill Point, 1 Potion Capacity
        • Creates Character 2, earns Renown Tier I in a different region
          • Gains 1 Skill Points
        • Creates Character 3:
          • This Character automatically receives both renown rewards from Characters 1 and 2
            • 2 Skill Points, 1 Potion Capacity available
    • This also applies to Hardcore characters. If renown rewards were earned on a Hardcore character in Season of the Malignant, those earned rewards persist for a new Hardcore character in Season of Blood regardless of whether your previous Hardcore character died.
      • For Hardcore characters, Altars of Lilith and Map Discovery progress still carries over within the Hardcore realm.
      • Similar to Season of the Malignant, Altars of Lilith and Map Discovery progress for Hardcore characters that died before Season of the Malignant will not persist for Season of Blood.
  • Coveted Items can now be marked as Favorite, and cannot not be sold or salvaged
  • 2 additional character slots have been added.
  • Eased the ability for players that haven’t completed the campaign to access Seasonal content earlier, by adding the option to skip the Campaign on character creation if any character on your account has completed the Prologue.
  • Prevented wasted Minion and Companion attacks by ensuring Minions and Companions no longer target invulnerable enemies.

Mounts​

• Improved the horse-riding experience by improving the overall responsiveness of mounts. They are less likely to get stuck on barriers or slow down unexpectedly.
  • Reduced the time it takes to travel across Sanctuary by increasing spur duration, which now breaks barricades.
  • Base speed increased by 15% (this does not affect top speed.)
  • Removed the need for Players to place their cursor on the edge of their window for max speed, general speed has been improved relative to cursor placement.
  • Improved combat and mount versatility by reducing ability cooldowns by 50%.
    • Manual dismount cooldown has been reduced from 10 to 5 seconds.
    • Forced dismount from damage cooldown has been reduced from 10 to 4 seconds.
    • The delay between a dismount combat skill becoming available after mounting (ex: the Barbarian’s Bounding Slam) has been reduced from 10 to 3 seconds.
Stashes are now available in all small towns with Waypoints.

Town Adjustments​

• Additional Stashes have been added to all Capital Cities near important vendors.
  • Reduced the need to travel to Capital Cities by adding Stashes to all small towns with Waypoints.
  • Reduced the need to travel to Capital Cities by adding an Occultist to the Tree of Whispers Waypoint.
  • Reduced the need for additional walking, Purveryors of Curiosities have set up shop closer to the Waypoint in several Capital Cities:
    • Kyovashad
    • Zabinzet
    • Ked Bardu
    • Gea-Kul
  • Improved Navigation through Sanctuary following character creation by adding 10 Waypoints to the list of automatically unlocked Waypoints for those that skip the Campaign.
    • There are 2 Waypoints in each Region.
    • Note that for players that choose to skip the Campaign and haven’t unlocked these 10 Waypoints on any character, they will not be automatically available.
Stash search and Stash filter functionality has been added.

UI & UX​

• Improved item sorting and overall organization by adding Stash search and Stash filter functionality.
  • Improved Streaming functionality by adding Streamer Mode, which hides sensitive information such as Character names or Battle.net usernames.
  • Improved organization by displaying Item affix tooltips in a more intuitive and consistent order.
  • Improved organization by grouping Extracted Aspects with the same Legendary powers together when sorting in your Stash and Inventory.
  • Improved navigation functionality by adding the ability to auto-run. When moving in a direction, the player will continuously move in the direction faced or where the cursor is placed until another movement is activated or a skill is initiated.
  • Improved navigation by adjusting the zoom level of the Mini-map.
  • Added an option for hiding all Combat text (ie. Vulnerable, Dodge, Fortified)
  • Improved Unique item visibility.
  • Improved access to the Screen Reader option by enabling it by default.
  • Improved cursor contrast colors and options for versatility and customization.

Mortisfacio

Lot of good changes. I will most likely skip season 2, but these are all really solid changes. I never got on board the "dead game" train because my experience with D3 was I wasn't a fan, then RoS hit and I played nearly every season. Blizzard has a history of correcting their mistakes. Sometimes too late, but should be a solid game here soon enough and I'll be playing it off and on for years to come.

DavidGzz

Just getting around to watching this. It's a small thing for most but to me, it was a big deal to me. Being able to hide combat text! VULNERABLE everywhere was so annoying. Damn, there is so much to this patch, and we get it in less than two weeks!

DeaDPo0L84

Me and my friends like many others were no-lifing this game at launch, then a couple weeks passed and we all dropped it and haven't played since. Gonna wait to see players impressions post patch but at the moment this all at least sounds good.

Mortisfacio

Me and my friends like many others were no-lifing this game at launch, then a couple weeks passed and we all dropped it and haven't played since. Gonna wait to see players impressions post patch but at the moment this all at least sounds good.

Pretty much the same for me. I went hard on the game and beat Uber Lilith before season 1. I went into the season, no lifed to about 85 then dropped it for BG3 then Starfield then CyberPunk. I might pick this game back up in Season 3 though. QoL changes are big and the endgame loop essentially became only do NM dungeons so having some farmable bosses to target uniques for is huge. Opens up the endgame loop more. I'm fairly simple to please. I just need more carrots on a stick to keep me going and I'll do it. The core gameplay I enjoy. Just lacks endgame variety.

Freeman76

Excellent changes most of which should have been in from the start. Looks like they are listening to all the feedback and also shitting themselves that player retention is so low.

Game needs completely revamped loot. Aspects are not fun. Stats need a complete rewrite.
When I have a full inventory of yellows I often don’t even bother checking the stats, just sell it all.
It’s such a chore moving the aspect you want from one weapon to the other, upgrading it again, fill the slots with gems.. I rather you know, play the game.

omegasc

Did they do something about the performance on PC recently? I was mainly using the PS5 to play this, but today I fired it up on the PC on a 3080 10GB and it was waaay smoother. Decided to try the 4K textures for fun, and wow what a difference! Sutters are mainly gone, most occurrences were while browsing items. Hellfire sessions used to be stutterfest, but not today! Maybe it was the recent Windows 11 update? Game is installed on a 3500/2000 MB/s nvme SSD

edit: it certainly improved. Even on my 8GB 3070 laptop is MUCH BETTER with 4K textures ON.

Last edited:

bronkonagurski

Gold Member
I'm stoked for Season 2 after watching that stream on Wednesday. Pretty much dropped the game a few weeks ago when I got my Druid to level 100 in Season 1. Being able to target farm Uber Uniques sounds awesome, that is the one thing that if it existed right now would keep me playing, I think.

Mortisfacio

Massive patch notes coming for Season 2 :

That's pretty significant. I was planning on skipping Season 2 and waiting for 3, but I may actually end up trying this season out. Lot of positive changes here and the 5 bosses to target farm (that persist beyond seasons) help add more to the endgame loop.

Zheph

What are we thinking class wise for season 2? I did sorcerer and rogue in S1 so probably gonna go with a Necro. It seems rogue will still be the top dog

Hot5pur

So do these patch notes apply across the eternal realm or just the season? Like the 5 bosses and such?
Don't really have time/energy to start a new character, barely have time for my existing one lol

draliko

What are we thinking class wise for season 2? I did sorcerer and rogue in S1 so probably gonna go with a Necro. It seems rogue will still be the top dog
Still undecided... Had a necro in S1, probably gonna make a sorc or a rogue for S2, druid gameplay don't really click with me... Sincerely I miss my paladin😅 I must say this patch looks good, let's hope will be the beginning of a new course with the game

Tarnpanzer

Season 2 got delayed by a few hours.

Suckz because in my timezone its already 9 PM. When they fixed this I´ll be already in bed. So no D4 for me today.

Mortisfacio

Anyone knows if the non-seasonal related changes will be also on the main realm?

Yah, they'll be available main realm. From what was said, the 5 bosses to target farm are non-seasonal so these should be available on seasonal and eternal realms.

Also I think this season I'm going Necro. Went Druid > Rogue. Necro looks like it might have one of the strongest builds this season theory crafting wise.

devilNprada

Played 3 hours, god damn what a patch! Improved so much stuff. Did they add loadouts yet? I was stuck gear wise for weeks on my 84 sorc, found 2 upgrades in one NM dungeon.
Ah man you guys playing season 2? I can't get away from BG3...
Hell I am never going to make it to AC Mirage and Starfield...

Last edited:

amigastar

Hey there, got a question
I've played Diablo IV on release date. I got at Lvl 50 but honestly the game was very boring so i stopped.
Now i want to know if it's a good time to jump into D4 again? Or rather not?

Mortisfacio

Hey there, got a question
I've played Diablo IV on release date. I got at Lvl 50 but honestly the game was very boring so i stopped.
Now i want to know if it's a good time to jump into D4 again? Or rather not?

Honestly depends on the "Why?" you were bored. If you were bored because leveling was too slow, monster density, UI and stash issues, etc. then all of that has been significantly improved.

If your main issue is the core gameplay loop of continually farming for better gear and skills/sigils, then no, that's here to stay as it's core to the ARPG style.

amigastar

Honestly depends on the "Why?" you were bored. If you were bored because leveling was too slow, monster density, UI and stash issues, etc. then all of that has been significantly improved.

If your main issue is the core gameplay loop of continually farming for better gear and skills/sigils, then no, that's here to stay as it's core to the ARPG style.
Yeah, the leveling was too slow, at least thats what i've heard that after lvl 55 or so grinding is very slow and I don't have the time to do it anymore.
Core gameplay of ARPGs is fun to me, i love ARPGs. but when the grinding gets tedious then i get bored.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

Yeah, the leveling was too slow, at least thats what i've heard that after lvl 55 or so grinding is very slow and I don't have the time to do it anymore.
Core gameplay of ARPGs is fun to me, i love ARPGs. but when the grinding gets tedious then i get bored.

That's been significantly improved, so there's that. They first nerfed it then added some steady buffs. Todays patch is the biggest step forward in improving that as general rewards are improved a ton.

• Opening Helltide Chest:
    • World Tier III: +375%
    • World Tier IV: +750%
These being core to endgame loop, at least for a bit, helps make them more worthwhile. Additionally the World Tier XP bonuses, urn bonus (think that's what they're called? the seasonal XP increase) and incense/elixers that grant XP bonuses are all now multiplicative instead of additive, so it nets a roughly 40% increased leveling speed all things considered.

Why'd they have to force online play for this frickin game? Diablo 3 plays so much smoother and even looks better a lot of the time than this game, all because Blizzard had to be greedy fucks and force a feature nobody wants.

Not only have I been booted many times while deep into a dungeon, only to lose all my progress, but I havn't had a single game session where it wasn't hitching or lagging in some way!

I actually like the game aside from all this bullshit but stuff like this is ruining otherwise good games and it just sucks so much. Even when everything is stable with my connection, there are still hitches and a slight delay to my characters movements, and that has to be coming from their god damn servers.

Mortisfacio

Why'd they have to force online play for this frickin game? Diablo 3 plays so much smoother and even looks better a lot of the time than this game, all because Blizzard had to be greedy fucks and force a feature nobody wants.

Not only have I been booted many times while deep into a dungeon, only to lose all my progress, but I havn't had a single game session where it wasn't hitching or lagging in some way!

I actually like the game aside from all this bullshit but stuff like this is ruining otherwise good games and it just sucks so much. Even when everything is stable with my connection, there are still hitches and a slight delay to my characters movements, and that has to be coming from their god damn servers.

What are you playing on? For PC I've been able to get rid of my issues by disabling Cross play. No idea why that's a thing, but in towns it's a stuttery mess with it on and smooth with it off.

cormack12

Gold Member
I've hit level 40 quite quick. Is that placebo or has the whole journey been xp boosted (not just 50-100)

I'm liking this season, the blood harvest is a good alternative and the pacts are somewhat easy. Although I am a bit miffed at the story delivery lol.

Think it's getting there. Necro is fun fir sure

Tried a decent amount of season 2 and tried to like the game. It is much improved but the it still runs like ass for me in the open world, complete trash, so much latency in Blood Harvest. Not my hardware, 4090+5800x3d.
Not willing to invest any more time into this unless I get a smooth experience.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Tried a decent amount of season 2 and tried to like the game. It is much improved but the it still runs like ass for me in the open world, complete trash, so much latency in Blood Harvest. Not my hardware, 4090+5800x3d.

That's so weird. I wonder if it's your distance from the servers. I can play on my Steam Deck on my phone hotspot at work with zero lag.

Hot5pur

Can you do a network stability ping test? Are you Ethernet or wifi? I had similar issues and working along these lines sorted it out.

Mortisfacio

Do you have crossplay enabled? My game has been buttery smooth no matter where I go since I turned it off. I'm enjoying S2 so far after telling myself I would skip until S3.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

I have a problem. I keep watching streamers and it makes me want to switch classes. I have 4 characters already. 2 level 48s, 1 32, and 1 25. The only class I haven't made is Druid and that's because I played him in S1. I love this season. All of the little changes add up to making it more addictive.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’m level 70, and the season is great so far.

I’ve gotten absolutely nothing for good drops on my Barb but it is what it is.

I don’t see myself doing Uber duriel since I already did Uber Lilith on release, and he doesn’t seem harder than her. I may just have a buddy do runs with me who is already like level 90 on his Necro.

it's pretty much unanimous as the worst leveling class
Jesus Christ lmao
It literally sucks ass world tier 2 feels like some Uber hardcore difficulty with him
So what's the best class to lvl than
Since I'm still lvl 28 I think I can restart a character when I buy the game because druid just feels lackluster.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Jesus Christ lmao
It literally sucks ass world tier 2 feels like some Uber hardcore difficulty with him
Since I'm still lvl 28 I think I can restart a character when I buy the game because druid just feels lackluster.

I think Necro is easiest. Sorceror is probably second or maybe Rogue. All classes are fun, and I suggest tier 1 unless you have some juicy legendarys that make tier 1 way too easy.

Antwix

Jesus Christ lmao
I would say sorc or rogue. Haven't played the other classes too much but necro gets a lot of love.

Top Bottom