• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV |OT| Blessed Mother... Save Us

Atrus

Gold Member
My god, these brainfart sidequests are really giving me a headache. I mean, I’m really don’t anything that tell some kind of story but this is just plain all out embarrassing trash. They really didn’t give a damn?

I think I’m just gonna ignore everything aside from the main quest. First few hours really fooled me into thinking this is a legit D2 sequel when it just looks a bit better, everything below the surface is just a cringy as in D3…

I was thinking about this when re-running the quests for the season.

Here you are, a demon slaying world saviour and yet there’s nothing too unimportant for you to deal with.

You are the destroyer of the great evils, finder of lost camels, returner of lost debt notices and part-time therapist.

I was thinking about this when re-running the quests for the season.

Here you are, a demon slaying world saviour and yet there’s nothing too unimportant for you to deal with.

You are the destroyer of the great evils, finder of lost camels, returner of lost debt notices and part-time therapist.
That's how it is in all RPG's though. Diablo IV didn't invent side quests.

Atrus

Gold Member

Diablo games tend to tailor to the plot, which is all about demons and evil creatures and scales with the player character.

I have no idea why I’m poisoning a few cultists for a witch when my poison melts the flesh off of bones.

That’s not to say they’re all like that since some strongholds have better lore but the lore for D4 overall isn’t very good.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Not at all. There are numerous games where the quest at least somewhat fit into the narrative. I mean, yesterday I did a lengthy quest to retrieve a stole shop sign. Like… what does this have to do in a Diablo game?

Orbital2060

Not at all. There are numerous games where the quest at least somewhat fit into the narrative. I mean, yesterday I did a lengthy quest to retrieve a stole shop sign. Like… what does this have to do in a Diablo game?
What are you doing wasting time on sidequests?

Better to finish the campaign first time, and get the mount. Makes everything easier. Sidequests are only good for unlocking area bonuses and post-campaign something to do.

Nydius

In the pre-season, I played a storm druid on Eternal. Ran through the campaign, pushed into tier 4, did some world bosses, unlocked all the altars and the entire map, hit level 73 before I realized I just wasn't having fun with the game because the late game/end game is non-existent. It's just a leveling slog with lousy itemization and poor drop rates. I was spending entire sessions where I wouldn't see a single upgrade or sidegrade. So put the game down waiting to play a different class in Season 1.

I was planning on playing a Sorcerer in S1, but then the patch came along and ruined that plan, so I rolled a Necro. Being the silly idiot I am, I didn't skip the campaign even though I could have. I figured it was extra XP and by the time I finished it I had managed to reach chapter 4 of the seasonal campaign and level 40 of the battle pass (then used my ultimate edition unlock and jumped to 60). I've done about a dozen Malignant Tunnels and, is it just me, or are they all the same goddamn map? Sure feels like it. Nothing about the Malignant story line has really made me want to keep playing and knowing that I'm going to hit the late 60s/early 70s and reach the same point I did with my Druid has already made me hit the burnout wall. I really don't want to spend hours upon hours upon hours grinding where I'm dismantling 99.9% of the drops I get.

I don't know if I can say I'm "disappointed" in the game because I've managed to play through the campaign twice now but I can say that fatigue has already set in much faster than it did with D2 or even early D3. At least in D3, despite all its foibles, I wanted to play all the classes. In D4, I can't say I even give a damn about playing Rogue or Barb. I still want to play Sorc one day, if it's ever buffed to being not complete shit.

I feel like D4 is in a weird place between D2 and D3. If I want to be challenged, I'll pop in D2R. If I want to run around and stomp endless amounts of demons feeling like an overpowered god, I'll pop in D3. D4 seems to sit in between those two. I don't really feel challenged by D4, I feel like it's designed entirely to waste my time with a bunch of slog mechanics designed to slow me down -- and in the late game, thanks to scaling, lousy drops, and poor itemization, I never really feel like I'm getting stronger.

Think I'm gonna put it on the shelf again and maybe will come back if the 1.1.1 patch actually makes Sorc worth playing. If so, I'll just putz around to get the last 30 levels of my battle pass and then likely not come back until the first major expansion. Too many games coming out this fall/winter that I'd rather play than return to the same tired dungeons, side quests, cellars, and whatnot for a second season.

Freeman76

In the pre-season, I played a storm druid on Eternal. Ran through the campaign, pushed into tier 4, did some world bosses, unlocked all the altars and the entire map, hit level 73 before I realized I just wasn't having fun with the game because the late game/end game is non-existent. It's just a leveling slog with lousy itemization and poor drop rates. I was spending entire sessions where I wouldn't see a single upgrade or sidegrade. So put the game down waiting to play a different class in Season 1.

I was planning on playing a Sorcerer in S1, but then the patch came along and ruined that plan, so I rolled a Necro. Being the silly idiot I am, I didn't skip the campaign even though I could have. I figured it was extra XP and by the time I finished it I had managed to reach chapter 4 of the seasonal campaign and level 40 of the battle pass (then used my ultimate edition unlock and jumped to 60). I've done about a dozen Malignant Tunnels and, is it just me, or are they all the same goddamn map? Sure feels like it. Nothing about the Malignant story line has really made me want to keep playing and knowing that I'm going to hit the late 60s/early 70s and reach the same point I did with my Druid has already made me hit the burnout wall. I really don't want to spend hours upon hours upon hours grinding where I'm dismantling 99.9% of the drops I get.

I don't know if I can say I'm "disappointed" in the game because I've managed to play through the campaign twice now but I can say that fatigue has already set in much faster than it did with D2 or even early D3. At least in D3, despite all its foibles, I wanted to play all the classes. In D4, I can't say I even give a damn about playing Rogue or Barb. I still want to play Sorc one day, if it's ever buffed to being not complete shit.

I feel like D4 is in a weird place between D2 and D3. If I want to be challenged, I'll pop in D2R. If I want to run around and stomp endless amounts of demons feeling like an overpowered god, I'll pop in D3. D4 seems to sit in between those two. I don't really feel challenged by D4, I feel like it's designed entirely to waste my time with a bunch of slog mechanics designed to slow me down -- and in the late game, thanks to scaling, lousy drops, and poor itemization, I never really feel like I'm getting stronger.

Think I'm gonna put it on the shelf again and maybe will come back if the 1.1.1 patch actually makes Sorc worth playing. If so, I'll just putz around to get the last 30 levels of my battle pass and then likely not come back until the first major expansion. Too many games coming out this fall/winter that I'd rather play than return to the same tired dungeons, side quests, cellars, and whatnot for a second season.
The worst thing about D4 for me is they have tamed it down too much, there is not much point playing all the classes because every one of them is bracketed to not be too powerful in order to long out the grind. They need to realise a lot of Diablo players enjoy the OP element of it where u can almost break the game. I guess this will come with time if they keep adding world tiers, but its a shame the game may take 2 years to be as fun as D3 was.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
There is something missing for 85+ characters I think. Its a long slog from 70 to 100, with only helltides and nightmare dungeons. Somet kind of activity to make the stretch easier to deal with.

I feel the same.

The game really needs some kind of system that unlocks at 80-85 to layer some mechanical interest in the last stretch.

There is something missing for 85+ characters I think. Its a long slog from 70 to 100, with only helltides and nightmare dungeons. Somet kind of activity to make the stretch easier to deal with.
Yep. Almost like there was meant to be a WT5 or something..

I also think they failed miserably with season one. The story quests were fine and all, but they dried up around level 30 or so and after that it's back to the same crap we did in eternal. They needed to make the malignant tunnels way better than they are now, something that we can keep doing until late end game. They're basically just reused regular dungeons except they have a couple of malignant nodes in them. Boring.

Last edited:

Nydius

Completely agree. I didn't even make it that far. I was tired of both helltides and nightmare dungeons by 72, and knowing that was all there was to do for another 28 very long levels pretty much sapped all my interest. Especially knowing that even if I hit 100 the only added thing to do was face Uber Lilith. Otherwise it was farming the same nightmare dungeons and helltides in perpetuity. I'd honestly rather go back and farm D3 greater rifts.

Zheph

Yeah the end game is lacking so much (to be fair there wasn't even any when D3 launched but...). They promised to add a new endgame activity soon, hopefully something nice and meaty.

I am nearly done with the battlepass, the awoken skins are really nice I must say but what to do after that? Play another game I guess

They promised to add a new endgame activity soon, hopefully something nice and meaty.
They said they had a new endgame activity in the works to implement alongside leaderboards but they said that wouldn't be until season 3. That's 6 months away at the earliest.

So many games to play it's time to stop complaining about the end game of D4 and let it sit on the hard drive for a while. It's not getting more interesting anytime soon so just stop and find something else to play.

Aces High

I created a new character to check out season 1. I get disconnects and heavy lag. Restarted PS5. Restarted router. Nothing changed.

Is this a common problem? I haven't played the game in weeks.

Zheph

I created a new character to check out season 1. I get disconnects and heavy lag. Restarted PS5. Restarted router. Nothing changed.

not really? I just played a couple of hours without any issue

Playing on PS5 based in Europe

Last edited:

draliko

No lag on my side on pc or Xbox, neither from my friends on ps, southern Europe here

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Got to level 63 with arc lash sorc. Wrapped up the season. Got all of the battle pass done, and only need the final level of the season activities to do but since one of the objectives is to beat Lilith again I’m out lol. Doing that fight ever again is a no go for me unless it started to drop Uber uniques, and even if it did what would I use them on when she’s the hardest challenge in the game ?

First season was a big miss for me. I like the core gameplay loop so I’ll be back probably for a hardcore run if I want to scratch the itch, but with BG3 days away and then the onslaught of games in August, Sept, October , and a new PoE league in 2 weeks I just don’t see myself playing until season 3 at the earliest.

I really don’t like the game model of developers creating content for a season then it’s gone forever. It just feels like wasted development time. These aspects, hearts, etc being a one and done thing sucks for a game as basic as this. They need to keep them and keep layering on. I’d much prefer tons of shit to do and engage with like PoE1 then fomo seasons, and then stripping the game back down to its core to add only one new little layer.

If season 2 launched with its mechanic/s , and then added some new hearts we could get, more new aspects, and kept these new ones introduced this season we would start getting a more fun game with depth, plus more things to do.

I'm not playing Diablo IV, but there's a quest in Diablo about getting Ogden's stolen shop sign back, some demons sauntered into town and stole it. Maybe a throwback?

Mossybrew

Well at this point I regret buying the season pass, though heck ten bucks no big deal. There's just nothing worth it in here. Cosmetics are weak and in general don't do much for me in a game where your character is so small. I've got my season Necro up to 45 and I'm just hitting that point where it's all starting to feel boring, repetitive and pointless. Haven't gone back to my Sorcerer was is parked at 65, leveling is just so slow at that point it's hard to stay motivated. Probably time to take a break from the game soon, I guess it's good timing with the August new releases approaching.

Last edited:

Freeman76

Got to level 63 with arc lash sorc. Wrapped up the season. Got all of the battle pass done, and only need the final level of the season activities to do but since one of the objectives is to beat Lilith again I’m out lol. Doing that fight ever again is a no go for me unless it started to drop Uber uniques, and even if it did what would I use them on when she’s the hardest challenge in the game ?

First season was a big miss for me. I like the core gameplay loop so I’ll be back probably for a hardcore run if I want to scratch the itch, but with BG3 days away and then the onslaught of games in August, Sept, October , and a new PoE league in 2 weeks I just don’t see myself playing until season 3 at the earliest.

I really don’t like the game model of developers creating content for a season then it’s gone forever. It just feels like wasted development time. These aspects, hearts, etc being a one and done thing sucks for a game as basic as this. They need to keep them and keep layering on. I’d much prefer tons of shit to do and engage with like PoE1 then fomo seasons, and then stripping the game back down to its core to add only one new little layer.

If season 2 launched with its mechanic/s , and then added some new hearts we could get, more new aspects, and kept these new ones introduced this season we would start getting a more fun game with depth, plus more things to do.
They did keep some of the systems from seasons in D3 so you never know.....

Orbital2060

Maybe just me, but the whole theme about summoning demons and capturing their hearts remind of Persona 5.

A shame the hearts arent staying on eternal realm, as theyre a fun alternative to the usual gems, and some more interesting ones have started to drop in recent levels.

Level 45 Sorc - cleared the cathedral of light, and back in wt3. Im new to the sorc class, but I cant say it feels much weaker than my rogue. For clearing content. I will see in nightmare dungeons. Its worked well enough so far. Almost pure frost build, except for hydras and meteor on passive enchantments. The stat boosts from Lilith statues probably help, but I cleared all trash in the cathedral of light at level 37, before giving up at the boss because of not enough dps / healing pots. Good to be back, Id totally forgot wt1/2 dont have helltides.

Vox Machina

Banned
I really don't see how they're going to ask players to fit resistances into their itemization when items only have 4 affixes and your affix budget is already constrained enough trying to get more power everywhere you can. Before release I really thought WT3 and WT4 items were going to have +1 affix each so that when you get to WT4 all the items that drop there have 6 affixes like PoE. That way your affix budget isn't so constrained.

I guess showing 6 affixes was too complicated/dense for the console UI so chalk that up as another thing the console version has made worse about the game.

Zheph

I really don't see how they're going to ask players to fit resistances into their itemization when items only have 4 affixes and your affix budget is already constrained enough trying to get more power everywhere you can. Before release I really thought WT3 and WT4 items were going to have +1 affix each so that when you get to WT4 all the items that drop there have 6 affixes like PoE. That way your affix budget isn't so constrained.

I guess showing 6 affixes was too complicated/dense for the console UI so chalk that up as another thing the console version has made worse about the game.
PoE is also on console

Vox Machina

Banned
PoE is also on console

PoE is very much a PC-first game and was ported to console. Diablo 4 is very much a console-first game that was ported to PC.

We don't even have a search bar in our skill tree or stash FFS. NO SEARCH BAR.... ON PC... the platform with a literal Keyboard input assumed by default.

In PoE I can use fuckin' Regular Expressions to search my stash, passive skill tree/atlas tree, and vendor windows. In Diablo 4 I can't even type text to search those windows.

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
PoE is very much a PC-first game and was ported to console. Diablo 4 is very much a console-first game that was ported to PC.

We don't even have a search bar in our skill tree or stash FFS. NO SEARCH BAR.... ON PC... the platform with a literal Keyboard input assumed by default.

In PoE I can use fuckin' Regular Expressions to search my stash, passive skill tree/atlas tree, and vendor windows. In Diablo 4 I can't even type text to search those windows.
And there's a reason why poe is botted and exploited to fuck
Edit: though yeah wtf even give me some in house syntax for regex searching and I'd be happy, never thought of that point lol

Last edited:

Zheph

There isn't that many skills in D4 compared to PoE, I am sure you will find your skills just fine

Vox Machina

Banned
There isn't that many skills in D4 compared to PoE, I am sure you will find your skills just fine

How about finding that Aspect I have stored in my stash when all the Offensive Aspect icons look exactly the same and are the exact same size? How about finding all Passives on my Skill Tree which affect my Marksman (for instance) skills? How about quickly searching a Vendor window for weapons that have a specific Item Power or higher?

Why are you so accepting of a markedly worse experience than what represents the State-of-the-Art?

Phase

Boy it's going to be nice to play this game in a year or two when everything is set and fixed. I did this with D3 after reaper of souls released and loved it.

Freeman76

How about finding that Aspect I have stored in my stash when all the Offensive Aspect icons look exactly the same and are the exact same size? How about finding all Passives on my Skill Tree which affect my Marksman (for instance) skills? How about quickly searching a Vendor window for weapons that have a specific Item Power or higher?

Why are you so accepting of a markedly worse experience than what represents the State-of-the-Art?
Maybe you should play PoE instead of getting stressed that D4 doesnt do things the way you want them to be done because it's 'made for consoles'. Most people are either still enjoying it or have shelved it for now, no point banging on about how its missing options just because they wanted to reach a wider audience.

Shodai

What the fuck Blizzard. I love the game but it looks like you do everything to make me hate him
Edit: don't know why but the clip doesn't seems to work, so here is a direct link [here]

This is ridiculous

This game had to have been rebooted over and over again. This absolutely stinks of a massive rush job (as does the rest of the game...) where little time was spent on data structures / strategy (EG. how all character data is loaded for everyone around you, shared props in this case).

What a mess. I even was at the Blizzcon where Blizzard pulled the fake and intro'd Immortal instead of D4 - The release of this game in the state it is in definitely is pouring salt on that wound.

Alternate conspiracy theory: All development talent (EG. writing good code) has long since left the building.

Last edited:

Vox Machina

Banned
Maybe you should play PoE instead of getting stressed that D4 doesnt do things the way you want them to be done because it's 'made for consoles'. Most people are either still enjoying it or have shelved it for now, no point banging on about how its missing options just because they wanted to reach a wider audience.

I have, and I do play PoE. And I'll continue to do so and give more of my money to games I think are better. If "reaching a wider audience" means I get a worse product then, yeah, I'm done spending money on it.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I have, and I do play PoE. And I'll continue to do so and give more of my money to games I think are better. If "reaching a wider audience" means I get a worse product then, yeah, I'm done spending money on it.

I like both games for different reasons. PoE2 also looks more of a mid ground between the two . I also enjoy last epoch too.

Diablo 4 fails at a lot of things , but I have hope that with due time it’ll be very good. As good as PoE1&2? Probably not , but still a nice alternative, especially for console players .

I fired up PoE on my PS5 today to test it out as I have console only buddies interested. Unfortunately it’s just the ps4 version and looks like it’s 720p on the lowest settings. It’s also really not made for a controller in the slightest. It works but it isn’t snappy like D4.

D2&D4 will remain a good choice on console. I pray PoE2 also launches on consoles with improved gamepad controls and cross play.

Zheph

We’ve made quite a few balance adjustments to Classes. Our goals with this patch are as follows:
  1. We want to improve the effectiveness of Sorcerers and Barbarians while addressing the following for each Class:
    • Sorcerer
      • Improve late-game survivability, mostly through Paragon Board improvements
      • Adjust some Class mechanics to move away from “Kiss-Curse” effects—this is where the player gains power but loses power somewhere else
    • Barbarian
      • Speed up the flow of combat in the early game by increasing Fury generation on Basic Skills.
      • Add late-game excitement by increasing the power of Unique items.
  2. Strengthen builds that aren’t reaching a high power level.
  3. Diversify the use cases for Legendary items and other effects that are overly situational.

Full Patch Notes : https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo4/23964909/diablo-iv-patch-notes

Zheph

Apparently there is a glitch that allows you to transfer items/gold from season to eternal. What a clusterfuck.
Man I saw some wild stuff... People also connecting with their softcore character to hardcore servers and killing others in PvP

There is almost no talent left at Blizzard...

Top Bottom