• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Wazzim

Banned
Iknos said:
We don't know yet.

We do know that they are incorporating tire track temperatures so I would hope they would adopt more and more tire physics modeling aspects from Forza.
Yeah the tire physics are excellent in Forza, I like how you kinda feel how the tires are losing grip in a corner.

ITT we have people on both sides championing their developer of choice while simultaneously trying to make the other one look bad, when it's quite clear that we've been shafted and mislead by both (but only to a certain small extent - GT5 and Forza 3 are still great games and in motion they look great, too).

Kuran

Banned
jett said:
I'm looking at a youtube video of the same track in GT4(Trial Mountain). They literally copy-pasted the GT4 track. Standard tracks confirmed lolz.

I really wonder why they did this.

Given their time and budget.. I understand the detail of the premium content, and that it takes time.. there is no excuse for not giving the tracks a makeover though. And I really hope that they will keep converting standard cars to premium cars, and include them in free updates. No paid DLC unless it's a new car model or track.

jett

D-Member
Kuran said:

Given their time and budget.. I understand the detail of the premium content, and that it takes time.. there is no excuse for not giving the tracks a makeover though. And I really hope that they will keep converting standard cars to premium cars, and include them in free updates. No paid DLC unless it's a new car model or track.

I can only assume it was added to the game at the last minute.

Firewire

Banned
GT5 Photomode is teh awesome.

ZV5dH.jpg

3vH8j.jpg

GT5 is teh awesome!

ShogunX

commedieu said:
Yes. GT5 has a higher lod model for the photo mode. 1 for menu, 1 for in game & replays.

Forza has 1 for menu, 1 for pre-race with cameras floating around, 1 for actual start of race that blackens out the interiors, and 1 for the player car model during replays. You never see the detail of any of the F3 cars in game. Which is why this thread & che is a joke at this point.

We really need to figure out a way to compare GT's laptimes to F3's laptimes & tracks.. and just go Head to Head. I'm sure there is a mathematical way of figuring out how incorrect F3's tracks are vs GT's and subtract that some how to create a like laptime? Is there? Or would it only be able to be decided in the same game engines? Fastest drivers in both games going head to head representing both sides to settle everything and lock the thread??

Hmmm???

People really need to stop comparing photomode shots. Everyone and their granny knows that images with bullshot level AA and a billion different filters and effects are going to look miles away from what you actually get during gameplay. Anyone trying to compare the two using photomode is an idiot - "look, my PENIS is MASSIVELY BIGGER THAN YOURS because my BULLSHOTS are slightly more BULL than YOURS". It's retarded. Direct-feed in native resolution with a framerate counter or bust.

AZ Greg

At this point, this thread should just be locked. The "win" for either game, in terms of graphics (which is what 99% of this thread discusses), is about as relevant as the NCAA Division 3 lacrosse winners. It's so disappointing too considering what we were led to believe based on marketing and pedigree. Both games just disappoint visually, particularly in the consistency department.

Perhaps the most disappointing thing, however, is that goal posts are even being moved for developers like PD this generation. Last generation it would have been blasphemy to suggest that they would put out a game this visually inconsistent. Sub 60FPS at times? Screen tearing? Nah, not the masters of perfection. Kaz would continue to delay before letting something like that get released. But I guess only now do things like time constraints and the developers being stretched thin count.

Bebpo

Banned
Kuran said:

It's pretty obvious going by the number of tracks, the polygon-starved look of them, and the "standard" looking rush job ones that the problem is Kaz/Polyphony are car buffs and only care about the cars. So the majority of development time, effort, processing power is given to making the vehicles look and feel right at the expense of the tracks.

As someone who cares more about good looking tracks than cars in my racing games, I find this annoying and it's why I prefer the look of Dirt 2 or PGR4 than Forza 3/GT5P, but I'm not a car enthusiast at all. I just like pretty graphics ;)

Ashes

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
People really need to stop comparing photomode shots. Everyone and their granny knows that images with bullshot level AA and a billion different filters and effects are going to look miles away from what you actually get during gameplay. Anyone trying to compare the two using photomode is an idiot - "look, my PENIS is MASSIVELY BIGGER THAN YOURS because my BULLSHOTS are slightly more BULL than YOURS". It's retarded. Direct-feed in native resolution with a framerate counter or bust.

Photomode is part of both games. One photomode is better than the other one. :p

I NEED SCISSORS said:

But in this topic all features are compared, even photomode against photomode.

AZ Greg said:
At this point, this thread should just be locked. The "win" for either game, in terms of graphics (which is what 99% of this thread discusses), is about as relevant as the NCAA Division 3 lacrosse winners. It's so disappointing too considering what we were led to believe based on marketing and pedigree. Both games just disappoint visually, particularly in the consistency department.

Perhaps the most disappointing thing, however, is that goal posts are even being moved for developers like PD this generation. Last generation it would have been blasphemy to suggest that they would put out a game this visually inconsistent. Sub 60FPS at times? Screen tearing? Nah, not the masters of perfection. Kaz would continue to delay before letting something like that get released. But I guess only now do things like time constraints and the developers being stretched thin count.

GT5 definitely does not disappoint visually. You can post those hideous screens as much as you want, watching the game played on TV tells a whole another story.

ShogunX

Firewire said:
GT5 Photomode is teh awesome.

http://imgur.com/ZV5dH.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://imgur.com/3vH8j.jpg[IMG]

GT5 is teh awesome![/QUOTE]

Now compare them to the game play shots shown above and I think we all now know where PD spent the majority of their development time.

[QUOTE=Lagspike_exe]GT5 definitely does not disappoint visually. You can post those hideous screens as much as you want, watching the game played on TV tells a whole another story.[/QUOTE]

So where on earth have they come from? I'm still a little shocked that those shots are from GT5. Just all doesn't add up.

Shogun PaiN said:
Now compare them to the game play shots shown above and I think we all now know where PD spent the majority of their development time.

Yes, because those shots are representative of GT5's visual quality.

It's like this thread is a twilight zone where Prologue never existed.

Melfice7

Lagspike_exe said:
GT5 definitely does not disappoint visually. You can post those hideous screens as much as you want, watching the game played on TV tells a whole another story.

internet pics > actually playing

keep up

jett

D-Member
Ashes1396 said:
Still can't find a decent upload.

Even in the crap youtube quality you can notice the same hideous texture design for the wall to the right(I don't even know what the fuck is that supposed to be) and the same polygonal edges on the hill. They probably upgraded a few things here and there but it's essentially the GT4 track.

ShogunX

Lagspike_exe said:
Yes, because those shots are representative of GT5's visual quality.

It's like this thread is a twilight zone where Prologue never existed.

So those direct shots are not representative of GT5? What the fuck are they then?

Iknos

AZ Greg said:

There are real features that matter that aren't a part of this discussion yet because most fanboys see this thread as an opportunity to slag the other game than to actually come up with a legitimate comparison.

We've already seen some fanboys claim there is no comparison but it goes to show how little they know of the genre.

Fact is both games are flawed and for anyone interested in these competing products making their next versions better would be interested in doing this comparison.

This thread was also necessary for cleaning out the Forza comparisons made in the GT thread from GT fanboys and needed a thread to vent.

Bebpo

Banned
Shogun PaiN said:
So those direct shots are not representative of GT5? What the fuck are they then?

C'mon, stop playing dumb.

Those pictures are not representative because they are pictures of GT5 gameplay USING PS2 CARS, not PS3 cars.

Now if you buy the game and play only using Ps2 cars than yes, that's representative of the game. But since any sane person will be using ps3 cars they do not represent the in-game graphics you will see when playing.

Ashes

Banned
jett said:
Even in the crap youtube quality you can notice the same hideous texture design for the wall to the right(I don't even know what the fuck is that supposed to be) and the same polygonal edges on the hill. They probably upgraded a few things here and there but it's essentially the GT4 track.

Yeah. No. That's the last time I fall for that one. Shame on me really. And you might even be right at the end of it all.

Shogun PaiN said:

They are ugly shots from an otherwise outstanding looking game, and easily the best looking racing game in the market, don't let a few shots fool you.

To answer your question, no they aren't representive, just as the numorous photomode shots here that aren't representive og the overall look of the game. But hey, tomorrow the game is out, go look for yourself, dont keep kidding yourself.

ShogunX

Bebpo said:
C'mon, stop playing dumb.

Those pictures are not representative because they are pictures of GT5 gameplay USING PS2 CARS, not PS3 cars.

Now if you buy the game and play only using Ps2 cars than yes, that's representative of the game. But since any sane person will be using ps3 cars they do not represent the in-game graphics you will see when playing.

Playing dumb? Take away the PS2 models (which shouldn't eve be there in the first place) and some of the tracks still look like rick smooth creamy shit. Some of the textures in those screens seriously belong in a mid tier MMO. I dont think anyone can deny that GT5 is the best looking racer on consoles but on the flip side you cant deny that the game is very inconsistent in the graphics department.

Bebpo

Banned
No one is saying it's not inconsistent.

And yes, the tracks suck. As I said earlier, GT focuses on the cars, not the tracks. So when you have screenshots without PS3 cars, it's going to look pretty bad.

X26

Banned
seeing the console warriors full of confidence after seeing some bad screenshots of standard cars is so utterly hilarious and sad

I leave to play the game for a few hours and this thread exploded! :lol

Good way to pass the time for people still waiting for the game I guess.

-viper-

Banned
The track looks a lot better in GT5 than GT4.

Seems like Jett is right though - track is basically an upscaled GT4 track. Didn't really notice that when I was playing it though - the lighting and the textures (for the most part) made it look pretty nice.

-viper-

Banned
Synless said:
Lets not get crazy now, Forza 3 is a great looking game.
And GT5, clearly, looks terrible.

:lol

GT5P 'direct feed' shots look as bad as these GT5 ones, if not worse. Suzuka, Fuji, Daytona looked fucking horrendous. Yet, when playing the game, it actually looked good. What a shocker.

Bebpo

Banned
-viper- said:
The track looks a lot better in GT5 than GT4.

Seems like Jett is right though - track is basically an upscaled GT4 track. Didn't really notice that when I was playing it though - the lighting and the textures (for the most part) made it look pretty nice.

Would've been nice if they did this with more of the GT4 tracks in order to expand GT5's track roster. Maybe DLC...

-viper-

Banned
Bebpo said:
Would've been nice if they did this with more of the GT4 tracks in order to expand GT5's track roster. Maybe DLC...
I personally wouldn't mind if they did that.

The more tracks, the merrier. These upscaled tracks combined with the new lighting engine look pretty decent to me!

Firewire

Banned
Shogun PaiN said:
And why would you fucking care, I'm pretty sure you don't buy their games.

You know, after playing again the Forza 3 demo and watching more GT5 material, you know what makes the deal in favor of GT5?, that dat lightning, Forza3 looks like a videogame all the time, GT5 sometimes manage to trick you and for some moments it looks your watching a real car in your TV.

Also GT5 ingame cars dosn't have tinted glasses that only let you see darkened interiors, I mean that shit belongs to the last gen..., I couldn't play the demo in other perspective that wasn't the interior one....

And why the fuck trial mountain looks so bad in GT5, it was my favorite GT track and it seems like they put the GT4 track model in there and call it a day...

Edit:Wow, it's a bit scary to see what I did resurrecting this thread....I hope the Gt5 OT it's safe thanks to this... :lol

Synless

-viper- said:
And GT5, clearly, looks terrible.

:lol

GT5P 'direct feed' shots look as bad as these GT5 ones, if not worse. Suzuka, Fuji, Daytona looked fucking horrendous. Yet, when playing the game, it actually looked good. What a shocker.
I can't wait to get GT5, I have no doubts that it looks better than Forza 3, and I think that game is gorgeous. The way I see it is this, 200 cars and whatever tracks that are not a GT4 port are GT5. Everything is part of the GT HD collection.

Bebpo said:
No one is saying it's not inconsistent.

And yes, the tracks suck. As I said earlier, GT focuses on the cars, not the tracks. So when you have screenshots without PS3 cars, it's going to look pretty bad.

I've not seen many of the tracks based on my limited play time but I can tell you that Madrid and Tokyo are mindblowing. Knowing Madrid quite well, little details and accuracy are ridiculous. Some seem on par with Prologue tracks (e.g. Cape Ring, awesome track!!!!) and some are disappointing in certain areas (e.g. trees on the ring). Could the game be more consistent? Yes! That said, it is still the best looking racing game BY FAR and it is not surprising that certain fanboys act all surprised over some bad captures.

I used to defend bad Forza 3 captures in this very thread, I will do the same for GT5.

Top Bottom