• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

i'm shocked that people here are questioning Dark10x's eyes.

that is what you're doing right? i mean you can't be arguing that he's trolling GT5 because he's a Forza 3/Xbox 360 fanboy? there's zero evidence of that in his posting record.

but then there's zero evidence that he doesn't have one of the sharpest set of peepers on GAF either.

Ashes

Banned
gameplay pic

chespace said:
Great thread!

52dijc.jpg

akmcbroom said:
I like this pic. In game, but looks so natural. Maybe I'm just easily impressed.

gt5-1-110.jpg

Credit to Torgo

sometimes it's the person who takes the pic... not the game...

I do like the che pic (if that is his), but Torgo took an awesome one...

Che embodies the entire essence of Microsoft marketing. LIE LIE LIE BULLSHOT BULLSHOT LIE LIE. They don't give a shit how many times they're caught in a bald-faced lie as long as it builds up hype. Forza 2 and 3 were both pretenced by streams of bullshots claiming to be "direct gameplay footage", Halo commercials are now 100% CGI, the entire Kinect E3 show was a farce with obvious use of pre-recorded footage. In fact, wheres that gif of someone "playing" Forza with Kinect? Other companies might stretch the truth to sell a game, but Microsoft flat out pisses all over it.

Ploid 3.0

CozMick said:
And dynamic weather, day/night cycles and double the amount of cars on track.

C'mon guys why is this still a debate?

GT5 wins :D

I've been wanting to post that GT5 just straight up wins here for the longest, but why crush dreams of Greenwalt and Che when they think they're "you know" slapping around the emperor, and that "no game competes [with] us right now." They also said for this whole Gen Forza 3 would still be the definitive racing experience (which was just silly then, even before we saw GT5's cards), it's just even more silly now that we see all of the crazy stuff GT5 has packed in it. It's crazy!

Who's naked now (cue naked car pictures)?

Ok that's enough, having a laugh. Still can't believe that E3 comment.

ShogunX

2 Minutes Turkish said:
I'm still dumbfounded by that screen of GT5.

It simply CANNOT look that bad at any stage. I refuse to believe it. Do we have some sort of proof that that isn't an upscaled Gran Turismo 2 shot?

Something is definitely going on here because some of these shots are flat out horrendous -

gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-ps3-426.jpg

gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-ps3-451.jpg

gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-ps3-502.jpg

Not convinced these are from GT5 unless PD have been working on a Gran Turismo MMO all along.

Shambles

Ploid 3.0 said:
I've been wanting to post that GT5 just straight up wins here for the longest, but why crush dreams of Greenwalt and Che when they think they're "you know" slapping around the emperor, and that "no game competes [with] us right now." They also said for this whole Gen Forza 3 would still be the definitive racing experience (which was just silly then, even before we saw GT5's cards), it's just even more silly now that we see all of the crazy stuff GT5 has packed in it. It's crazy!

Who's naked now (cue naked car pictures)?

Ok that's enough, having a laugh. Still can't believe that E3 comment.

There you go.

070707_naked_man.jpg

weekend_warrior said:
Che embodies the entire essence of Microsoft marketing. LIE LIE LIE BULLSHOT BULLSHOT LIE LIE. They don't give a shit how many times they're caught in a bald-faced lie as long as it builds up hype. Forza 2 and 3 were both pretenced by streams of bullshots claiming to be "direct gameplay footage", Halo commercials are now 100% CGI, the entire Kinect E3 show was a farce with obvious use of pre-recorded footage. In fact, wheres that gif of someone "playing" Forza with Kinect? Other companies might stretch the truth to sell a game, but Microsoft flat out pisses all over it.

I think microsoft pissed in this guy's Cheerios.

weekend_warrior said:
cognitive dissonance.

i suppose you think that the people in the Kevin Butler adverts are actually playing the games in realtime behind him right?

do you think microsoft are trying to convince people that Halo looks like the awesome live action + CG adverts?

these GT5 shots highlight the worst of the game. the GT series has always had great lighting and great car models.

you don't normally look at the track in detail. they've always focussed more on the cars than everything else, so if you use the camera that pulls out the furthest from the car it's going to highlight all the things that the GT series has traditionally done badly.

other games have better looking environments, but is that really news or shocking?

GT trumps them in cars and lighting. always has, probably always will.

-viper- said:
do you want me to take an off-screen shot of what I see when I pause that that moment?

Yep go. Because between the photomode bullshots, and all the intentionally horrible looking screens being posted of BOTH games, I'd like to see something that is a more accurate reflection of what the game looks like while someone is actually playing it.

Like I said, I played GT5P Demo and aside from the weird relationship the background had with the foreground, it looked really nice.

Wazzim

Banned
Shogun PaiN said:
Something is definitely going on here because some of these shots are flat out horrendous -

http://image.jeuxvideo.com/images/p3/g/r/gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-ps3-426.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://image.jeuxvideo.com/images/p3/g/r/gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-ps3-451.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://image.jeuxvideo.com/images/p3/g/r/gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-ps3-502.jpg[IMG]

Not convinced these are from GT5 unless PD have been working on a Gran Turismo MMO all along.[/QUOTE]
That's how it looks sometimes but I don't really care since it's GT5 and there are 16 cars so whatever,

Ashes

Banned
plagiarize said:
cognitive dissonance.

i suppose you think that the people in the Kevin Butler adverts are actually playing the games in realtime behind him right?

do you think microsoft are trying to convince people that Halo looks like the awesome live action + CG adverts?

Erm... Of course not. But if you think they didn't do that so as to get away from how the game actually looks then you got to be kidding me. It's not a Microsoft thing per se, it's an advert thing...
plenty of games write 'in game footage', at least in Europe...

mintylurb

Shogun PaiN said:

gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-ps3-426.jpg

gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-ps3-451.jpg

gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-ps3-502.jpg

Not convinced these are from GT5 unless PD have been working on a Gran Turismo MMO all along.
Those don't look too good. PD should've just went with 8 cars per track or stuck with 12 cars like gt5;p.

Ashes

Banned
Rolf NB said:
If Che said it, you can be sure it's a lie. He has no time for the truth.

I don't think he said it. It was just in the livery thread. It looks like a gameplay pic to me. blurred background etc...

belvedere

Junior Butler
noire said:
Technically I'm not sure if that can be true given GT5:p's lack of PS2/PSP models.

Since you're cherry picking, why not say it can also be the case for GT5, hence the lack of weather and lighting in Prologue?

weekend_warrior said:

You know Sony pretty much invented hyperbole in gaming yeah? Or were you born in 1993?

Sega and Nintendo used to troll each other, which was fun as fuck for all of us, but hyperbole was Sony's game, and they knew how to play it. My Dreamcast can attest to that.

weekend_warrior said:

The war is escalating to cover motion controls too?!

PS MOVE CONTROLLER LOOKS LIKE A DICK! YOU CAN PLAY THAT JANKY KINECT GAME WITHOUT DOING ANYTHING!

noire said:
Technically I'm not sure if that can be true given GT5:p's lack of PS2/PSP models.

What? You can load up 16 premium cars in one race in GT5. What do standard cars have anything to do with graphics quality?

Ashes

Banned
Lagspike_exe said:
What? You can load up 16 premium cars in one race in GT5. What do standard cars have anything to do with graphics quality?

If there is one thing I've definitively learnt. It's that to most people, no matter what they think of themselves, how the car looks is more important than how it drives in the game. Faced with a trade off, visuals >>>> gameplay.

weekend_warrior said:

Wow, that is some serious MS hate right there. Like, for reals.

2 Minutes Turkish said:
You know Sony pretty much invented hyperbole in gaming yeah? Or were you born in 1993?

Sega and Nintendo used to troll each other, which was fun as fuck for all of us, but hyperbole was Sony's game, and they knew how to play it. My Dreamcast can attest to that.

Nah dude, "second job" and "toy story graphics" never happened in the world he lives in. MS controls everything and Sony and Nintendo are just 'keepin it real'.

No MS ... the Xbox's are made of ... PEOPLE! THEY'RE PEOPLE!!!

(explains why they're green ... soylent green)

commedieu

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:

Hyperbole =\= Lying about game features? (Any screenshot from Epic games here as in game -- still to this day?) You didn't address that. Second job & Toy Story = Hyperbole. I was born in 1987. Sony/Sega/Nintendo all took shots at each other, and went to one up each other with their products, not their PR. You wouldn't find a competition of those days with todays Unreal Engine 1.5 world, where advertising budgets from some, are more than the cost of the games development. Sony talked because they were #1, just as the rest were. Microsoft has never been #1, yet the act as if they are? In todays world, where Nintendo & Sony have both matured, Microsoft is still slinging mud at every opportunity. Just look at a guy like Ted Price, who isn't even sony specific, deal with interviews vs all of Microsoft. Its like the world has evolved, just not MS. But its ok, because thats how it was when they weren't even in the picture?

Sony claimed KZ2 was in game. Which would raise the bar for console visuals.. It was CGI.
Sony released KZ2, which became the bar for First person shooter visuals. Microsoft claims _____. yet, has never managed to back any of the claims up.

jett

D-Member
chespace said:
Haha, that's really how good it looks, and hence why you think it was prerendered. Accomplished.

You're too much.

Anyone with a decent amount of neurons can look at those renders and immediately notice that it's 100% CG.

flyinpiranha said:
Wow, that is some serious MS hate right there. Like, for reals.

Nah dude, "second job" and "toy story graphics" never happened in the world he lives in. MS controls everything and Sony and Nintendo are just 'keepin it real'.

Second job? Go back further dude.

FF7 trailers were 100% CG and still treated as 'actual gameplay trailers (at least down here). It was Sony who claimed they feared selling the PS2 in Russia for fear of nuclear war :lol

Wazzim

Banned
flyinpiranha said:

That one was awesome :lol

2 Minutes Turkish said:

FF7 trailers were 100% CG and still treated as 'actual gameplay trailers (at least down here). It was Sony who claimed they feared selling the PS2 in Russia for fear of nuclear war :lol

Uh, Sony didn't make FF7.

Can you link to the PS2 Russia rumor? I remember the Iraqi one, but Sony had nothing to do with that.

And this doesn't really have anything to do with GT5, which you can actually try out and realize that all the graphics hype isn't there without a reason.

Ashes

Banned
EviLore said:
Eh well, that's about right for a 7600GT+ trying to run a game at 60fps with AA!

I think someone said that they are going to take an off screen pic of the same scene. We'll soon get this settled. :p

jett

D-Member
EviLore said:
Eh well, that's about right for a 7600GT+ trying to run a game at 60fps with AA!

I'm looking at a youtube video of the same track in GT4(Trial Mountain). They literally copy-pasted the GT4 track. Standard tracks confirmed lolz.

Metalmurphy said:
Terrible capture card √
Standard car √
High compression artifacts √

Track does look kinda poor though.

Kinda? Come the fuck on man.

I can't wait to finally play this game, cause at this point I have no idea what it's going to actually look like.

AndyD

aka andydumi
2 Minutes Turkish said:

The PS2 was on the no trade technology list to many countries including North Korea. But I don't think Sony puts it there, but the government based on whatever the electronics included are. I think it was the graphics chip. I can't remember.

Wazzim

Banned
jett said:
I'm looking at a youtube video of the same track in GT4(Trial Mountain). They literally copy-pasted the GT4 track. Standard tracks confirmed lolz.
No because else they would have ported all the others too.

X26

Banned
You know those geek-to-chic jenny jones episodes back in the day that blew up in the girls face? Where she'd come out thinking she was all hot now and the guy would feel like an idiot and wish he could get with her, but she's still actually pretty ugly and the guy is living an awesome life and just feels pity for her?

For some reason I just remembered that, dunno why

Lagspike_exe said:
Uh, Sony didn't make FF7.

Can you link to the PS2 Russia rumor? I remember the Iraqi one, but Sony had nothing to do with that.

And this doesn't really have anything to do with GT5, which you can actually try out and realize that all the graphics hype isn't there without a reason.

Down here, it was Sony who advertised FF7.

I doubt I could find internet articles that old.

As to GT5, I'm still waiting for someone to post a more accurate shot. For all it's flaws, Gran Turismo has rarely let down in the visual area, and this is coming from someone who DETESTS Gran Turismo.

I just refuse to believe a game that has been in development for 4 or 5 years and had so much money sunk into it can look anywhere near those shots being posted at any stage during playtime. If it does, I'd be demanding my money back.

Forza has never really looked any good, so it's hard to be disappointed when you're not expecting anything. But Gran Turismo has not only always been overhyped by it's fanboys, but PD themselves pump not only the game up, but especially the visuals and attention to detail. I can't accept the game would look like that at any stage.

Forza? Yeah I already know Forza looks lolworthy. The jaggies cut my eyes open.

Iknos

durden said:
Seeing as this thread is already a trainwreck of epic proportions and my question won't make it any worse, can someone tell me if GT5 is modeling tyre roll/physics like Forza3 did? I'm just curious.

We don't know yet.

We do know that they are incorporating tire track temperatures so I would hope they would adopt more and more tire physics modeling aspects from Forza.

weekend_warrior said:

You shouldn't be saying this when PD has done the same with their GT5 trailers.

Ploid 3.0

AndyD said:
The PS2 was on the no trade technology list to many countries including North Korea. But I don't think Sony puts it there, but the government based on whatever the electronics included are. I think it was the graphics chip. I can't remember.

Like how the US use PS3's as cheap supercomputers (a lot of them together as one).

Bebpo

Banned
Shogun PaiN said:

http://image.jeuxvideo.com/images/p3/g/r/gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-ps3-426.jpg
http://image.jeuxvideo.com/images/p3/g/r/gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-ps3-451.jpg
http://image.jeuxvideo.com/images/p3/g/r/gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-ps3-502.jpg

I dunno. Take all 3 of those pics and replace PS2-imported standard car with PS3-made premium car and they'd all be good looking pics.

Because of the standard/premium difference, there really needs to be a rule that shots of standard cars are not allowed in this comparison thread. We know the standard cars look like PS2 because they are ps2 models/textures.

jett

D-Member
2 Minutes Turkish said:
Down here, it was Sony who advertised FF7.

I doubt I could find internet articles that old.

As to GT5, I'm still waiting for someone to post a more accurate shot. For all it's flaws, Gran Turismo has rarely let down in the visual area, and this is coming from someone who DETESTS Gran Turismo.

I just refuse to believe a game that has been in development for 4 or 5 years and had so much money sunk into it can look anywhere near those shots being posted at any stage during playtime. If it does, I'd be demanding my money back.

Forza has never really looked any good, so it's hard to be disappointed when you're not expecting anything. But Gran Turismo has not only always been overhyped by it's fanboys, but PD themselves pump not only the game up, but especially the visuals and attention to detail. I can't accept the game would look like that at any stage.

Forza? Yeah I already know Forza looks lolworthy. The jaggies cut my eyes open.

Well that particular track looks like that in GT5, deal with it already.

Ashes

Banned
jett said:

I just looked on youtube. can't find a decent upload. :/

commedieu

Banned
Chrange said:
I'm pretty sure GT5 uses a higher LOD model for the photomode. Hell, it has entirely separate environments just for photo mode :p

Yes. GT5 has a higher lod model for the photo mode. 1 for menu, 1 for in game & replays.

Forza has 1 for menu, 1 for pre-race with cameras floating around, 1 for actual start of race that blackens out the interiors, and 1 for the player car model during replays. You never see the detail of any of the F3 cars in game. Which is why this thread & che is a joke at this point.

We really need to figure out a way to compare GT's laptimes to F3's laptimes & tracks.. and just go Head to Head. I'm sure there is a mathematical way of figuring out how incorrect F3's tracks are vs GT's and subtract that some how to create a like laptime? Is there? Or would it only be able to be decided in the same game engines? Fastest drivers in both games going head to head representing both sides to settle everything and lock the thread??

Hmmm???

noire

Unconfirmed Member
belvedere said:
Since you're cherry picking, why not say it can also be the case for GT5, hence the lack of weather and lighting in Prologue?

True. The game can either look better or worse than prologue.

Lagspike_exe said:

Standard cars have a lot to do with graphics quality on 80% of the vehicles in the game.

Top Bottom