• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In celebration of Final Fantasy's 30th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

Are there people who dislike FF X?

One day I'll play XIII...

My unplayed and/or unfinished list includes I, II, V, XII, XIII, and XV. Have never even thought of dabbling in the online titles. Working on taking I and II off that list with the Dawn of Souls duo on my GBA.

I genuinely really dislike FFX haha. Not that I'd claim it's a bad game or anything but as mentioned, the series is so distinct from entry to entry or at least between certain directors and devs. I have entries I love and that's a lot of commonality between talent on them. I see patterns in the entries I dislike too. It's not a big deal though :)

Eylos

Banned
Every numbered FF game has people that dislike it. That's what happens when you have a series where each game is very different from each other.
Yes, pretty much.

the Fan hate base for ff7, 8,10-2, 12, 13,15 are the bigger ones i think.

Komatsu

After like 15 years, I decided to play FFX again - I picked up the Remaster on Vita and boy, what a game it was.

Some of the voices in the English dub are nauseating and Seymour's knack for coming back for the millionth time gets old fast but the themes, the overall push of the story, the ambiance.

When we arrived in Kilika and the Sending cutscene started... It was like being 14 again.

What happened to Square?

tonka

After like 15 years, I decided to play FFX again - I picked up the Remaster on Vita and boy, what a game it was.

Some of the voices in the English dub are nauseating and Seymour's knack for coming back for the millionth time gets old fast but the themes, the overall push of the story, the ambiance.

When we arrived in Kilika and the Sending cutscene started... It was like being 14 again.

What happened to Square?

https://2static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Final_f8a5a1_6123194.jpg

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
qo5E8tG.jpg
s09N5yM.jpg

I'd be worried if he hadn't seen it all cause that'd prolly lead ta hours an hours of even crazier plot confusion!

Gs7XZE2.jpg

Mister Grunt here gets in a surprise first strike against Sephiroth here. Very nice! Most likely because, if we remember poking around in the inventory way back when, the Buster Sword had a Pre-emptive materia slotted into it!

j6naI7y.jpg

What?!

4cnu5zM.jpg
CaJM2ka.jpg

Seeeee. He so totally was there the whole time. Sephiroth was just a big dumb liar!!

11M7JBt.jpg
diHM7fH.jpg

Poor What! While he's moping over not making it into SOLDIER, Zacks strutting around pumped up over that sweet new materia he'd gotten...

CFBkMzk.jpg
Y6BKILo.jpg

An of course instead of showing his face in town he plops the mask back on. Turns out Sephiroth did ask about the hometown thing so that stuff wasn't madeup either!

2RpSTK5.jpg

Nor was him remembering the heat of the flames!

iNC88KA.jpg

And also lived up to his promise with This!

EgVPfWv.jpg
ShVjZCP.jpg

Sephiroth staggers away with Jenova's head in hand and What's given the mission of finishing the job!

F9RUBE7.jpg
6TxWsAp.jpg
GN42osb.jpg

What's the one ta get skewered this time around but... using the power of momentum...

fsqApJU.jpg
82Y4CIv.jpg

...he turns the tables an tosses Sephiroth into the Lifestream! So despite their difference in power and abilities he did actually defeat him!

ZREFgwZ.jpg

With the mysteries solved all the Whats start merging together back into one!

21mqOky.jpg
FXPaGG0.jpg

Which adds him up to the one true What!

9LMUjbT.jpg

This shows her joy over this by taking a moment to chew him out. wtf? An with that Whats like "nope, I want her outta my head. lets gtfo the lifestream".

ENCgXIY.jpg
HAoywB8.jpg

Whats never gonna live down being a faker no matter how much he apologizes!

BX9jK9v.jpg
MC0ZTHv.jpg
EiHCNhu.jpg

Sweet! So things are gonna be just like before, save for no more betrayals and blackouts!

528YNIV.jpg

Thats right! Theres a reactor below the sea at Junon! Thats totally gonna be a place to go!

pOKThSy.jpg

What be like "who that guy an why he here?".

SJdGt7v.jpg
jaJ6bLL.jpg
E8AdRq7.jpg

Ditto for her, but What can relate to her predicament as he also suffers from motion sickness! His advice falls on deaf ears however as she just plain wants off the ship. Is this another scheme ta force her way into the party and rob 'em again?

sGVUjF4.jpg

Now with What and This back in the party its time ta move forward!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Every numbered FF game has people that dislike it. That's what happens when you have a series where each game is very different from each other.

A hate base for FFVI would be... Controversial in GAF actually.

Alucard

Banned

I genuinely really dislike FFX haha. Not that I'd claim it's a bad game or anything but as mentioned, the series is so distinct from entry to entry or at least between certain directors and devs. I have entries I love and that's a lot of commonality between talent on them. I see patterns in the entries I dislike too. It's not a big deal though :)

It's okay to have incorrect opinions, so no worries!

I really enjoyed FFX when I first played it. Wonder how it holds up. I remember loving the strategy involved in the battle system since you were able to see the order of turns and could plan your attacks and magic accordingly.

sphinx

the piano man
FFX

.- is having 99999 hp on my characters mandatory to beat the harder dark aeons and penance??

I am seeing there isn't space in the grid for that many hp spheres, plus, I need the empty nodes for 255 points in the stats.

I know there's a clear node I can get from the monster arena seller but I am not sure how that works, haven't tried it yet

when I erase a node and put something new, do my characters lose the points they got from the erased node or do they just continue acumulating?

Kinsei

Banned
FFX

.- is having 99999 hp on my characters mandatory to beat the harder dark aeons and penance??

I am seeing there isn't space in the grid for that many hp spheres, plus, I need the empty nodes for 255 points in the stats.

I know there's a clear node I can get from the monster arena seller but I am not sure how that works, haven't tried it yet

when I erase a node and put something new, do my characters lose the points they got from the erased node or do they just continue acumulating?

Break HP limit is not a skill worth having so it's not worth having enough HP nodes to get higher than 9999 HP.

sphinx

the piano man
Break HP limit is not a skill worth having so it's not worth having enough HP nodes to get higher than 9999 HP.

wat?

so far Tidus is my only character with that skill (currently at 21k hp points) and he's always the only one to surivve big attacks.

original creations and dark aeons easily deal 20000 damage per turn...

EDIT: But I get the point... I will work on the stat spheres first and leave spare empty nodes for HP

Kinsei

Banned
wat?

so far Tidus is my only character with that skill (currently at 21k hp points) and he's always the only one to surivve big attacks.

original creations and dark aeons easily deal 20000 damage per turn...

You need armor with Auto Haste, Auto Protect, Auto Phoenix, and Auto Potion (stock up on X potions). For penance you need armor that has Defense + 20 instead of Auto Phoenix.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Yeah. I strongly discourage break HP limit. It makes healing harder. With auto protect, Defense +20 and 255 defense, you won't be one shotted by anything (that wouldn't one shot you anyway) other than Penance, and cheering around 3 times at the beginning of that fight will prevent that.

I like to use this armor.
Defense +20
Auto Haste
Auto Protect
Ribbon/Stoneproof

You can get the 99 Dark Maters for a free Ribbon from the Monster Arena. Stoneproof will suffice for the others. Most of the Dark Aeons have Stone touch, so without stoneproof, you're in for a bad time. You can sub Defense +20 with Auto Phoenix if you want, but it's not needed. Might make Dark Bahamut a bit easier, but Reraise works fine there.

For Penance, you want to replace Ribbon/Stoneproof with Auto Potion. Then, make sure you have no regular Potions or High Potions in your inventory, so that X Potions are used instead. You want to cheer 3-5 times, right at the start of battle to bolster your defense even further. With this, you will never be one shot by him and will automatically heal all damage with X Potions. Then throw a Three Stars on the party for 0 MP cost for the whole battle and you're good to go.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Personally I used Break HP Limit for most of the post-game content EXCEPT Penance -- and at the point where you're ready to take on Penance, grinding anything else is so easy that you shouldn't worry about having to make multiple post-game armours or not having the items you need.

RE: Erasing nodes; I wouldn't bother at all. You can easily get stats sufficient to take out Penance on the default sphere grid, as long as you invest enough in Luck in the many empty spheres to him it. The only reason I'd consider erasing nodes is if you're going for Perfect Sphere Grid master and you think the grind of erasing and repopulating with easier nodes is faster than the grind of getting enough Fortune Spheres to fill out everyone's boards.

SOLDIER

Has there been any mention at all about localizing Dissidia Opera Omnia?

Really want to play it. It looks like the FF crossover RPG I've always wanted. The characters actually TALK to each other in this one.

I've played more FF this year than ever before in my life! Over the past few months I've played and completed FF 1, 6, 7, 9, 10, 10-2. 14 ARR (just about to start Heavensward), and 15. I just got Zodiac Age and will be starting that too :)

Loona

Has there been any mention at all about localizing Dissidia Opera Omnia?

Really want to play it. It looks like the FF crossover RPG I've always wanted. The characters actually TALK to each other in this one.

Not that I know of - but isn't there usually a 6-month delay between SE's mobile releases in Japan and the rest of the world?

I want to see what role the XI characters and Sabin have in it, and they just added XI's Lion...

SOLDIER

Not that I know of - but isn't there usually a 6-month delay between SE's mobile releases in Japan and the rest of the world?

I want to see what role the XI characters and Sabin have in it, and they just added XI's Lion...

I would love an awkward dialogue between Rikku and Lion.

The latter is by all accounts a red-haired curvier twin.

ithorien

Man, I did this a couple years back. Ended up playing every single FF I missed, however did not finish 13-3; I'm only missing that and 15 from a complete numbered playlist :/

Loona

I would love an awkward dialogue between Rikku and Lion.

The latter is by all accounts a red-haired curvier twin.

Better, Lion X Squall... "You think you're a lion... that's adorable..."
Then Khimari and Red XIII drop by, and meanwhile Rinoa feels a disturbance...

Opa-Pa

God, I lost all interest in Opera Omnia when I heard it was a mobile game, but... Sabin? Square Enix finally put him in a crossover!

I looked up footage and damn... Seeing Sabin, Shadow and company in action makes me sad for the DS/3DS FFVI we never got :(

Ultratech

Man, I did this a couple years back. Ended up playing every single FF I missed, however did not finish 13-3; I'm only missing that and 15 from a complete numbered playlist :/

I still need to play Lightning Returns to finish up the XIII Trilogy.

After that...I dunno. I really haven't felt like playing a lot of FF this year.

The only "main" games I haven't played apart from the aforementioned are X-2, XI, XIV, and XV.
I'll probably never get around to the MMOs, but I'll probably get to X-2 and XV someday.

sphinx

the piano man
thanks everyone for the answers regarding FFX..

just one question and I think I am all set.

what's the fastest way to be done with blitzball?? I want wakka's overdrives, his celestial weapon including the crest and sigil

.- who should I hire?
.- how many games must I play?
.- is there a surefire way to beat matches?

I really can't wait to get past that, what a stupid mini game this is, it sucks big time. in my opinoin the worst, even worse than chocobo races and whatever else it's commonly considered annoying.

Loona

I still need to play Lightning Returns to finish up the XIII Trilogy.

After that...I dunno. I really haven't felt like playing a lot of FF this year.

The only "main" games I haven't played apart from the aforementioned are X-2, XI, XIV, and XV.
I'll probably never get around to the MMOs, but I'll probably get to X-2 and XV someday.

XI's major stories are pretty finishable in a month or two nowadays, an amount of time which might cost less than one of the single player games, especially during discount campaigns like the current one.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
what's the fastest way to be done with blitzball?? I want wakka's overdrives, his celestial weapon including the crest and sigil

.- who should I hire?
.- how many games must I play?
.- is there a surefire way to beat matches?

Assuming you just want Wakka's celestial and overdrives, if you check GameFAQs, you'll rapidly find a foolproof system that involves:
1) Reset your Blitzball data
2) Hire a handful of specific people, firing all the default guys when necessary
3) Win your first match, level up your guys -- use the "hide in your own goal" trick to run out the clock if you're worried
4) Steamroll the rest of the tournament
5) Reset your Blitzball data again

It still sucks, since you're looking at at least 8-10 hours worth of Blitzball.

This describes the trick:
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/197344-final-fantasy-x/50561998

SilverArrow20XX

No need to reset your data for Tournaments. Only Leagues.

1. Have Jecht Shot.

2. Recruit Brother. He's fast, strong, and right there in the airship.

3. Enter Blitzball menu. Look at tournament prize. If it's not Attack Reels, exit and reenter the menu until it is. Do not enter a tournament before this or it will lock the prize.

4. Finish the tournament and get Attack Reels. Pass back and forth between Brother and Tidus a lot in the first game to get them some levels and be able to use Jecht Shot.

5. Reset data until League prize is Status Reels.

6. Get back Brother and play through the league, getting Status Reels.

7. Exit and reenter the Blitzball menu until the Tournament prize is Aurochs Reels.

8. Win Aurochs Reels.

9. Reset data until League prize is Jupiter Sigil.

10. Win Jupiter Sigil.

Leagues are long. 10 games. The prizes are also permanently locked once seen unless you reset the data. Unfortunately, Status Reels doesn't unlock until AFTER getting Attack Reels, and Jupiter Sigil doesn't unlock until AFTER getting everything else. Which means that no matter what you do, there will be 2 leagues with worthless prizes unless you reset the data. Even though that kinda sucks, it means you only need to play 26 games instead of 46.

If you don't want to lose your data, and choose to play a worthless League and try for the next league however, you CAN guarantee the prize you want appears. The prize isn't locked until the next time the blitzball menu is opened. After clearing the previous League, chose to NOT continue playing Blitzball. Save. Enter the blitzball menu. If it's not the prize you want, load your save and try again.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I kinda want to platinum FFX but it's a pain. :/

ULTROS!

It's not that bad. Sub 70 hours for a JRPG plat is pretty fast IMO.

I'm 77 hours and nowhere near the plat, so far what's missing:

- 200 Lightning Strikers
- Complete one character's Sphere Grid
- Complete all characters Sphere Grid
- Defeat Penance
- Get all the Chocobo Game Treasures
- Complete a Blitzball Tournament
- Defeat Nemesis

Guys, I want to join you in this quest. I'm about 3 hours in to FFXV. How long is this game?

Not really liking the battle system. But it's still an FF so I'm game

SilverArrow20XX

Guys, I want to join you in this quest. I'm about 3 hours in to FFXV. How long is this game?

Not really liking the battle system. But it's still an FF so I'm game

Just the main story? Very short. Could probably do it in 30 hours. 100% will be about 150. Just getting the Platinum, maybe around 80-100. It's a pretty easy platinum. Doesn't require any of the postgame dungeons.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm 77 hours and nowhere near the plat, so far what's missing:

- 200 Lightning Strikers
- Complete one character's Sphere Grid
- Complete all characters Sphere Grid
- Defeat Penance
- Get all the Chocobo Game Treasures
- Complete a Blitzball Tournament
- Defeat Nemesis

I did it in about 90 hours total, liberally using auto-battle and 2x/4x speed and no encounters for all of the post game content, and it was a third playthrough and I already knew the game pretty well.

vmcrVxNl.png

[that's a platinum for FFX, haven't done an FFX-2 play on Steam yet]

I would guess it's more like 110-120 if you're closer to a normal pace playing it.

sotojuan

I did it in about 90 hours total, liberally using auto-battle and 2x/4x speed and no encounters for all of the post game content, and it was a third playthrough and I already knew the game pretty well.

vmcrVxNl.png

I would guess it's more like 110-120 if you're closer to a normal pace playing it.

2x/4x speed is not in the PS4 or PS2 versions of FFX, which the poster(s) may be playing.

Alucard

Banned
What's this "platinuming" verbiage you kids are using? Is this a thing now? Haven't bought a new system since the original Wii and owned a PS2 before that...

Kinsei

Banned
What's this "platinuming" verbiage you kids are using? Is this a thing now? Haven't bought a new system since the original Wii and owned a PS2 before that...

In a Playstation game if you get all of the trophies (their version of achievements) you get a platinum trophy. Platinuming a game means getting the platinum trophy.

I wasn't grabbed by the hour of VI I played back in the day. I'll give it a fair shot eventually when I run out of Final Fantasies. For now though I'm about 10 hours into XII and really enjoying it.

If I can beat that and IX this year then I will call that a victory.

Alucard

Banned
In a Playstation game if you get all of the trophies (their version of achievements) you get a platinum trophy. Platinuming a game means getting the platinum trophy.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks. The whole achievements thing never interested me. :-/ There are FFVII achievements on the steam version that feel tacked on, but I guess it's an extra thing you can focus on to make the game feel more complete somehow.

SOLDIER

God, I lost all interest in Opera Omnia when I heard it was a mobile game, but... Sabin? Square Enix finally put him in a crossover!

I looked up footage and damn... Seeing Sabin, Shadow and company in action makes me sad for the DS/3DS FFVI we never got :(

Plus a recent event where Kefka possesses Vincent.

I am all about that.

Imagine if they allowed crack ships too. They could fund three console FFs if they went that route.

Kinsei

Banned
Ah, gotcha. Thanks. The whole achievements thing never interested me. :-/ There are FFVII achievements on the steam version that feel tacked on, but I guess it's an extra thing you can focus on to make the game feel more complete somehow.

It's really just an evolution of those items you would get in games for doing something special that existed purely to show off to your friends that you were able to do said special thing. It's just nowadays they are tied to your account and are much easier to show off instead of you needing to invite your friend over to your house and then load up the game and show them your inventory.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

In FFX the achievements (trophies) are really just about 100%ing the game; beat the game, beat the post-game content (Nemesis, Dark Aeons, Penance), finish all the minigames, get all the Al Bhed primers. The only two that really aren't really "content" are Sphere Grid Master and Perfect Sphere Master, which are really about 100% completing everyone's Sphere Grid. But I'd argue that'd be part of a true 100% run anyway. If I had played on PS2, that's the objective I would have set for myself.

Alucard

Banned
It's really just an evolution of those items you would get in games for doing something special that existed purely to show off to your friends that you were able to do said special thing. It's just nowadays they are tied to your account and are much easier to show off instead of you needing to invite your friend over to your house and then load up the game and show them your inventory.

In FFX the achievements (trophies) are really just about 100%ing the game; beat the game, beat the post-game content (Nemesis, Dark Aeons, Penance), finish all the minigames, get all the Al Bhed primers. The only two that really aren't really "content" are Sphere Grid Master and Perfect Sphere Master, which are really about 100% completing everyone's Sphere Grid. But I'd argue that'd be part of a true 100% run anyway. If I had played on PS2, that's the objective I would have set for myself.

Fair enough. I guess I just was never that hardcore with completing games outside of a few notable exceptions like FFVII and CV: SotN.

Teknoman

I have XII Zodiac...and want to finish XV (but all the talk of patches has me wanting to wait...or even restart). I've been itching to actually start VIII and beat it for the first time.

ULTROS!

I'd be nice if they patch in a 2x/4x option for FFX PS4/Vita though. :/

Although my major problem will still be the Dodge 200 Lightning since that requires very quick, non-blinking reflexes.

Fair enough. I guess I just was never that hardcore with completing games outside of a few notable exceptions like FFVII and CV: SotN.

I was never hardcore into 100% completing the games until the trophy/achievement system arrived into the modern systems. I only remember 100%ing FFVII, CV:SotN, Earthbound, and Chrono Trigger.

I never did 100% FFXII (just went for the main story only) in the PS2 version but I was motivated enough to actually get the platinum version of The Zodiac Age version
big thanks to 2x/4x speed
!

Top Bottom