• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MoviePass (Unlimited Films in Theaters) Drops to $9.95 a Month

dLMN8R

What the hell, no theaters in Redmond?

EDIT: Never mind: https://foursquare.com/p/moviepass/11700033/list/seattle-theaters

What they don't support Ipic ;)

Redmond has some great theatres but most I've seen are definitely on the higher end/specialty theatre.

Oh my.

Am I reading this right? I can use MoviePass at the Cinerama in Seattle???

I expected it to work at the AMC and Regal theaters downtown, but if it really works at the Cinerama, holy balls.

ionitron

SFenton

Oh my.

Am I reading this right? I can use MoviePass at the Cinerama in Seattle???

I expected it to work at the AMC and Regal theaters downtown, but if it really works at the Cinerama, holy balls.

Woof. Did not care about the iPic at all but daaaaaaamn if it works at the Cinerama...

rjinaz

That's a shame about AMC. Seems like they don't want a middleman getting in the way especially if they can muck things up.

Regardless, it's unlikely AMC will be able to do anything about it soon enough not for people to get their money worth out of it.

TyrantII

Fuck AMC. They're some of the worst theater there are, creating local monopolies and jacking ticket prices way beyond where they should be.

Not suprised they're worried.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Welp, AMC theaters are the only ones in the Boston area that are eligible, so I'm out if they are.

Fuck AMC. They're some of the worst theater there are, creating local monopolies and jacking ticket prices way beyond where they should be.

Yep, AMC fucking sucks. The one around here has shitty, tiny, uncomfortable seats, the worst screens out of my three local choices, and has about five minutes more commercials at the start than the rest. Fuck 'em.

DJChuy

Sucks the site is still going down. I want to get one for my gf, but at least having one is better than nothing.

phaonaut

Didnt AMC use to have a partnership with Moviepass. I know they tried to do their own at one point.

Anyway I had this for a year and it was a pretty good deal at $30, will probably do it again at $10.

rjinaz

Welp, AMC theaters are the only ones in the Boston area that are eligible, so I'm out if they are.

Well it's monthly for now. It's unlikely AMC can do anything before you getting at least 1-2 months out of this so it would really just depend on making sure you cancel if AMC is out of it.

Dan-o

This. I only go to AMC for the single Dolby Cinema screen. Won't go near any of the other screens in that shithole.

As long as Alamo and Cinemark don't try to block this, I'm happy as can be.

Re: MoviePass. $10 is too low. I'd have jumped in at $20. But $30 is too much.

Kadin

Seeing this story about AMC and the recent story about the producers of TWD suing them, after Darabont did as well... tells me they're a pretty bad company. Then again everyone gets sued these days so who knows.

edit: so yeah, had no clue they were separate companies. Whoops.

Aselith

Huh? Why does AMC care if they were getting all their money and didn’t even notice a problem?

Because they're dumb enough to think that their terrible rewards program is enough to put asses in seats. Like, no, getting a free movie every 30th movie I go to is not going to make me go to the movies more...

Seeing this story about AMC and the recent story about the producers of TWD suing them, after Darabont did as well... tells me they're a pretty bad company. Then again everyone gets sued these days so who knows.
Those are two different AMCs.

AMC Networks =/= AMC Theatres.

foladar

Because they're dumb enough to think that their terrible rewards program is enough to put asses in seats. Like, no, getting a free movie every 30th movie I go to is not going to make me go to the movies more...

To be fair, their rewards program IMO is pretty reasonable, and they're the only theater around here that has cheap morning ($5.85) shows. Their scheduling is terrible, generally, though. AMC is doing 2X rewards too. I'd definitely choose Regal, or a local theater, over AMC though if Moviepass is dropped.

- J - D -

Hopefully it's just a self-contained case of AMC being a shitty company. It would really suck if Regal and Cinemark followed suit.

Aselith

To be fair, their rewards program IMO is pretty reasonable, and they're the only theater around here that has cheap morning ($5.85) shows. Their scheduling is terrible, generally, though. AMC is doing 2X rewards too. I'd definitely choose Regal, or a local theater, over AMC though if Moviepass is dropped.

How many points do you get per movie normally?

Okay, what the fuck. The site seems like it's working now but after completing my payment, it bumps me back to the first page of the registration without any sort of confirmation.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I've tried to pay with credit and paypal and it does the same thing every time.

Edit: Tried it on the app and it says User Cancelled when I try to register with Facebook. Do I need to just use an email and password? Is that the problem here?

foladar

How many points do you get per movie normally?

It's 100 pts for every $1, so a $15 movie would be 1500 points. And they're running X2 rewards until October if you sign up for that promo. And they usually run an extra 1000 pts for movies.

edit: I'm a premiere member though

I thought Cinemark was purchased by AMC like a year ago?

they bought Carmike
Oh ok I'm stupid lol

Anyways, finally signed up. No email or anything, but I can finally go through the full app. No theater listings so I started shitting myself and remembered how screwed the site is lol.

Website is not showing the list of theaters that uses Movie pass. If it works for anyone here, can someone tell me the list of theaters with a 20744 zip code?

Regiruler

Yep, AMC fucking sucks. The one around here has shitty, tiny, uncomfortable seats, the worst screens out of my three local choices, and has about five minutes more commercials at the start than the rest. Fuck 'em.

Those are basically grandfathered AMCs. They're approaching the majority of their locations being luxury, I believe.
I can't understand how they would have any legal grounds to make a case here. Functionally speaking it is exactly the same to them as if you paid for the movie yourself.

So confused.

”MoviePass envisions paying AMC its full ticket price without discount," the company's statement reads. ”The AMC average ticket price for watching a movie at AMC Theatres in the most recent financial quarter was $9.33. From what we can tell, by definition and absent some other form of other compensation, MoviePass will be losing money on every subscriber seeing two movies or more in a month."
So basically it just seems they're confused like we are. They want to know where the money comes from, I think.

Bii

Purchased two Movie Passes earlier this morning. One for me and one for the lady. Used her name on the second one but with my credit card, so hopefully that's not an issue. I don't see any pending charges on either of my cards but I am able to log in through the app and did get email confirmations.

I'm only a 5-minute walk from a participating Regal theater. So I'm definitely going to load up on Regal reward points as much as I can, even if I don't actually watch the movie.

meow

Why does AMC care? isn't moviepass just paying them for the tickets anyway? In fact, having moviepass buy my tickets for me actually makes it more likely for me to sign up for that AMC rewards program. No way I normally watch enough movies but moviepass actually had me considering signing up for AMC's $15/yr loyalty program.

plus not to mention I love buying movie popcorn/nachos so AMC basically gets a guaranteed $8 or whatever purchase from me on food anytime I go. I don't buy your overpriced junk food when I'm not watching movies, AMC!! that's what happens when you charge $17/ticket.

charpunk

Hopefully the app is actually functional by the time I get my card. None of the theaters in this area support e-ticket.

Hopefully the app is actually functional by the time I get my card. None of the theaters in this area support e-ticket.

I can't get the app to do anything at all after I log in. Pretty much every screen is just blank.

Love the idea of the service, but this is a pretty bad (re)launch.

Regiruler

Why does AMC care? isn't moviepass just paying them for the tickets anyway? In fact, having moviepass buy my tickets for me actually makes it more likely for me to sign up for that AMC rewards program. No way I normally watch enough movies but moviepass actually had me considering signing up for AMC's $15/yr loyalty program.

They care because there's some long term questions if users are only paying for one ticket worth a month, so with MoviePass paying AMC in full, what's the economics going to be like?

That's my take, anyway.

trs1080

Neo Member
That zip code link didn't really work for me but the results still came up as text and wow, the Chicago options (if what I'm seeing is correct) are great. Lots of indie theaters, Music Box, Gene Siskel, Logan, Davis Theatre, New 400 (not in same league but closest to me). Even if AMC pulls out I'll keep it for this alone. Technically there's a Cinemark closer to me anyway, and they don't run damn TV ads before movies.

If you do the zipcode thing and just get text back, take a look at the text. It's probably the list of local theaters.

I think I got all signed up. I had the "hitting start new trial button 5 times" problem earlier today but eventually got an email that just said "welcome to moviepass" and the mobile app has my CC info in it, but it hasn't charged it yet.

overcast

Just to be clear I can't go to the movies with this until I get my card in the mail right? Cause I'll need to register that through the app (when it's up and running).

meow

They care because there's some long term questions if users are only paying for one ticket worth a month, so with MoviePass paying AMC in full, what's the economics going to be like?

That's my take, anyway.
Yeah I kinda get they're saying it unsustainable (which is what everyone in this thread also said), because why buy a ticket from AMC direct if you can get a sub for $10/month. I just figured moviepass would run out of money or something in a few months. Or they're afraid of some other chilling effect once people get used to paying so little for tickets?

plus not to mention I love buying movie popcorn/nachos so AMC basically gets a guaranteed $8 or whatever purchase from me on food anytime I go. I don't buy your overpriced junk food when I'm not watching movies, AMC!! that's what happens when you charge $17/ticket.

It devalues their product.

Mairu

That's my take, anyway.

They care because they don't want other companies making money off their customer data, I'm guessing.

Signed up myself, hope it doesn't take too long to receive the debit cards (or email confirmations!)

I see alot of theaters following suit with AMC, or just simply not accepting moviepass. It allows for abuse of the rewards systems they offer, and if popular, deters the purchase of the higher end seats and promotions theaters due which is what makes them most money. Theaters don't make much off ticket sales, so when people start abusing the system for freebies and are not paying for premium seats and showings, they are going to have their profits cut into. Also rewards programs are designed as loyalty programs to keep people going to the same theater chain, while moviepass they are afraid will remove that "loyalty"

Some chains offer premium cinema experiences as well via more specialty theater chains and cinemas, which moviepass is a threat to as people will be drawn to the cheaper movie theaters that will accept the moviepass. Selling premium seats and experiences will have customers drawn away by cheap unlimited movie going pass. We are likely going to see alot more than AMC putting up a fit

JaggedSac

Rewards can only be used towards concession from what I read. Which is rather not useful to me.

foladar

Rewards can only be used towards concession from what I read. Which is rather not useful to me.

AMC Stubs rewards can be used towards tickets, food & drink, and even membership renewal -- i just wait to activate my rewards so it doesn't expire, but even when activated, the expiration is like 9 months so also extremely fair there too. Regal's bonus rewards are also apparently really good, but Regal is far from me so I haven't used it.

Top Bottom