• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue III – The 1st Teaser | PS4

The1Ski

V5nOCam.png

Ryo doesn't wanna make toys

BlondeTuna

The faces are awful but it's a work in progress. This is how I look at it: We went from a zero possibility of Shenmue 3 happening to actual in game art, animation etc. This project is moving along and I will reserve judgement for the final product.

Fisty

People talking shit about the faces, but I really like them. Jumping from Shenmue 2 to 3 doesn't need to be like going from Yakuza 1 to Yakuza 6 all at once. It's more consistent and I think the lasting appeal of the original games doesn't boil down to graphics and faces

raven777

They could have easily edited the trailers to not show stupid face parts and focused more on the good parts like the background and few of the action movements.
psQIWkE.gif

Like they could have easily just showed off Ryo's attack and cut it to other scene, but they decided to show the stupid face zooming in. Did they really think anyone watching this part will think anything positive about this particular scene (the zooming in part)?

Enzo88

I hope it comes out good, but i already knew that i had to tamper my expectations, obviously.

We are going from the game with the most ridiculous budget and graphic on the planet, on release, to a kickstarter project, not sure what people were expecting.

zeopower6

They could have easily edited the trailers to not show stupid face parts and focused more on the good parts like the background and few of the action movements.

Like they could have easily just showed off Ryo's attack and cut it to other scene, but they decided to show the stupid face zooming in. Did they really think anyone watching this part will think anything positive about this particular scene (the zooming in part)?

I think it's part of the 'charm'? I know that sort of thing is really common in fight scenes and also it's sort of hilarious to see.

It'll be neat to see whatever is more current and "now" as opposed to this which seems to be mostly older footage shown off a year ago. I would kind of be amused if all the other characters had their faces animated properly but Ryo remained :| . . . .

STI

psQIWkE.gif

I laughed so hard when I saw the trailer. at least they are honest with their product

Spaghetti

Right I get that, they pick out the best parts. I guess it's possible they skipped all the good parts? Sure the environments look fine. The character models are hideous and the animations are meh. It's a mess. Sorry that hurts the fans so much, but I think we need to start being a bit realistic about what a small team and 5 million dollar budget can do with a little over a year of dev time left.
I don't think they skipped the good parts, because there are good parts to the trailer (don't make me break out the gifs), but clearly there is an issue of WIP elements being a little too... WIP for public eyes.

Being realistic is fine, but a year/year and a half is not insignificant. You can see the components of where they're going next. Environments are on-point, some shots the lighting looks well-built and compliments the models, other shots have great physical animation and camerawork. Shenhua is also probably the only character in this whole video that had some semblance of facial animation that looked like a good start (the old man flaps his mouth a bit, might be good depending on what sounds he's making).

There's a difference between they're not done yet, and they're not getting done period. YSnet have probably reasonably assessed they can get it done in the year, year and a half left.

psQIWkE.gif

The character models from Virtua Fighter 2 had more life to them...

Yeah the faces are giving me Thunderbolt Fantasy vibes, a series I adore, but the similarities here are present for all the wrong reasons. :(

With that said, everything else looks amazing. Music is pure hype soon as it kicks in. I'm staying optimistic. Hope they'll fix everything by the time it's a finished product. Regardless, cannot wait to experience this.

raven777

I think it's part of the 'charm'? I know that sort of thing is really common in fight scenes and also it's sort of hilarious to see.

It'll be neat to see whatever is more current and "now" as opposed to this which seems to be mostly older footage shown off a year ago. I would kind of be amused if all the other characters had their faces animated properly but Ryo remained :| . . . .

I am not saying that particular style of zooming in to the character scene is bad. I am just saying that since the face is obviously not ready, don't show it on this trailer. I am fine with this particular scene being in the final game but I just feel they should have cut it from this trailer because of how bad it looks with unfinished face.

J2 Cool

Alright....My actual constructive thoughts. They need to tone down the bloom lighting. Not everything is in a sun-red dusk in the Shenmue world. I want to time of day to carry the emotions of the story.

The fighting is super rough and early, but okay.

Shenhua needs major overhauls. It's like, who is the woman of destiny Ryo has been searching to meet for years? And to suddenly swap her out for this..... Even her clothes look bulky and not at all picking up from the girl we saw at the end of Shenmue 2. The logo is okay, but they really need someone directing this more stylishly, because it scrolling down reveal was amateur. And please chill on the anime characters. You maybe get one of those per game. A Chai, a Don Niu.

I shudder to think of what they do with Lan Di's model, one of my favorite in games, if this is an indication. I don't want to see this game until 2020 please.

KageMaru

psQIWkE.gif

My guess is they included clips like that to show fans the improved character model. While it doesn't bother me, I agree that parts like that didn't do the trailer any favors. They would have been better off having a Shenmue passport style head rotation shot.

Yes and no.

Hellblade is a much more linear game and a much less ambitious game than Shenmue III.

I don't think Shenmue III should really be compared to anything. Just judge it by its own merits.

I wouldn't say Hellblade is less ambitious. A self published indie game made by roughly 20 people is an ambitious goal when it turns out as good as Hellblade. I would just say that both teams have different priorities and it's probably safe to say hellblade had a bigger budget.

Synth

I laughed.
This game is still Virtua Fighter RPG in my head cannon. Ryo totally gonna change his name to Akira in his later age.

So, would this then mean that he never got his revenge because Lan Di simply changed his name to Lau, making the trail go cold?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
It's still early days, this could be an old internal trailer for all we know*

Fuck I hope so, lol

I wouldn't say Hellblade is less ambitious. A self published indie game made by roughly 20 people is an ambitious goal when it turns out as good as Hellblade. I would just say that both teams have different priorities and it's probably safe to say hellblade had a bigger budget.

Shenmue III has many locations, lots of cut-scenes and lots of different NPC's with different voice actors ect. I'd say it's more ambitious.

But at the same time I overall don't exactly disagree with your main point.

It's still early days, this could be an old internal trailer for all we know*

Fuck I hope so, lol

See post 333.

So, would this then mean that he never got his revenge because Lan Di simply changed his name to Lau, making the trail go cold?

Umm... Yes...Yes Lan Di changed his ID to Lau to hide from getting persecuted, joined a fighting tournament in his free time and Ryo is shadowing him under the identity of Akira.

Jcgamer60

At the risk of getting into trouble, its worth it to see some of the shocking reactions ive read over the last 6 pages.

In the name of transparency, I can say that 90% of what was in that trailer we were shown a year ago at the Kickstarter dinner. There is a strategy to what's being shown. If you think this was put together last week that's your business, I am just telling you that the majority of that footage is at least a year old, some even 18 months old now.

Take from it what you will. Also, for those looking for Yakuza level character detail, maybe throw a few extra bucks onto the ongoing PayPal for the game, since this is a low funded title without a multi million dollar development studio behind it.

I feel that this is quite important and everyone should take heed. Thanks for sharing.

I really like what I'm seeing. And I say this as someone that hated Shenmue! Not sure why people are making a big deal out of the faces/facial expressions. It's a low budget game, and it's still early. I wouldn't be upset even if they don't improve. Why? Everything else looks great.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
psQIWkE.gif

Could someone put the word "PASTE" in all caps onto the gif loop lol? Also make it strobe lol

zeopower6

"It just doesn't have the facial animations yet."

Then why are they showing unfinished scenes?

Because people have been waiting for something? The reason why there are no facial animations is probably that they haven't really added any yet, but everything else seems to be fine.

Also I wonder if this is to make people more excited about when a more current build is shown.

Again just like above, you've missed my point. I don't expect it to look like horizon, not even a little. The point is that I keep hearing "oh it's over a year out! It's just an early build! It's a WIP!" I'm sorry but 1 year time is not enough for a dramatic turn around from a small team with a tiny budget.
Then why did you bring up the best looking "realistic" game in video game history? If your point is that a $6 million game will never look as good as a $54 million game, well duh! That's not what anybody else is talking about.

And why don't you think a year is enough time to animate 4 or 5 faces? All the game artists you know must be super slow at their jobs.

Seriously, with that Deep Silver partnership, couldnt they have someone to edit the trailer ? Or shpuld it be the fans to do it ?
The logo's ugly and the way it appears is cheap af.
The models looks fine but it's like they're not even animated yet (which is my guess and my hope)
Althought the environnements look super gorgeous.

zeopower6

Seriously, with that Deep Silver partnership, couldnt they have someone to edit the trailer ? Or shpuld it be the fans to do it ?
The logo's ugly and the way it appears is cheap af.
The models looks fine but it's like they're not even animated yet (which is my guess and my hope)
Althought the environnements look super gorgeous.

Poor Yu, lol. He penned the logo himself. :(

jorgejjvr

What are these games about, and what is the genre? What's the game play like?

Couldn't really tell from the trailer. Look rough.

Shenhua's dress looks awful but the environments are pretty, I'm sure animation and faces will be better in the final game but probably not close to what people expect this days.

I want this game for the story, everything else is secondary.

Shenhua's dress looks awful but the environments are pretty, I'm sure animation and faces will be better in the final game but probably not close to what people expect this days.

I want this game for the story, everything else is secondary.

Anyone expecting that deserves to be dissapointed.

Honestly, I wouldn't even care if the faces stayed exactly the same. It's nostalgic. : )

Top Bottom