• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

milkham

_dementia said:
I bought a couple of them long ago, before Xbox got good sticks in 2008 (i.e. HRAP EX).
I hated them. Avoid.

yeah, it was ok when i found one for 15 dollars but I would also say stay away

yyr

bPod said:
My Tekken 6 Hori stick just killed over on me and I need a replacement for the mean time...would this be a good substitute?

hori_fighting_stick_ex2_for_xbox_360.jpg

It's good for what it is. That said: it's got the same Hori parts that just busted on you. They're good for a while but something will eventually break, and the stick is notoriously hard to mod or fix, so at that point it'll be useless.

The SFIV FightStick SE is a much better choice because it's so easy to replace the parts (with better ones, or if they break).

Amazon link

It's on sale right now for $39.52... an excellent price.

MoxManiac

jgkspsx said:
So... is the MadCatz TE Round 2 stick worse than the original TE? I kinda like its looks better...

It's by far the best looking TE out of all of them in my opinion. I'm not sure why there's such a glut of them on the market.

Threi

notag
tried to actually use seimitsu microswitches in the sanwa buttons, they all fit fine.

on top of that, the microswitches from the stock SNES stick (which are also seimitsu) fit as well. Makes the buttons less sensitive.

But i'm too lazy to desolder everything so i'm just gunna leave it. But I have 6 seimitsu microswitches left over...if there was any way they could fit in the stock madcatz button rims :(

However now that I have more experience with the buttons I can re-affirm my previous feelings; the Capcom Power Stick Fighter is absolutely fine stock. There was never any need to replace the buttons. Both the buttons and stick are arcade quality. Not to mention it's comfortable as hell :lol

Markman should find a way to bring back that stick :p

Dexa

Banned
bPod said:
My Tekken 6 Hori stick just killed over on me and I need a replacement for the mean time...would this be a good substitute?

[/QUOTE]
if you want to go the cheap route i´d rather get a "Datel Arcade Pro" (eg amazon) - better stick unit + ps3/360/pc support

CO_Andy

Any word on which art MarkMan, er, MadCatz will use for the Marvel 3 stick?

Fingers crossed its not from that western artist.

So... the VLX. How good is it? Worth the expense? And what's the easiest/best/cheapest place to get it? I'm in the UK... I can have it shipped to family in the US if have to and then have them ship it to me if it makes things easier...

bPod

Threi said:
Nobody ever seems to listen to me but if your Tekken 6 stick died just padhack it and put in new parts :D

http://shoryuken.com/f177/hori-tekken-6-stick-213492/index8.html#post7813000

http://shoryuken.com/f177/hori-tekken-6-stick-213492/index6.html#post7787859

I just like modding shit though. No sense in making the case go to waste :p

I'm actually going to do that but I've never attempted anything like that so i scares me lol

I don't know which color wire goes with what and no idea how to wire the joystick

Threi

notag
what exactly is the problem with the T6 stick anyways?

Anyways decided to help out a dude on SRK with a Deejay template, he doesn't seem to want to use it so i'll just post it here. I don't like character themes or have a TE, but if i did i'd totally use it :lol

fosholv

How long does Gameshark store usually take to ship your stuff? I took advantage of the buy 1 get 1 free TE stick and ordered on Black Friday. It still shows my order as in progress =(

fosholv said:
How long does Gameshark store usually take to ship your stuff? I took advantage of the buy 1 get 1 free TE stick and ordered on Black Friday. It still shows my order as in progress =(

Same. I'd been hoping, foolishly, that I might possibly get my sticks by the end of the week (ordered Friday evening), now it looks more like the end of next week.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Got two of the SE sticks in that Walmart deal last month. Finally Lizard Lick got the joysticks in so I placed my order for the sanwa stick and 8 buttons, cannot wait!

Is there a good tutorial for how to put artwork on the stick? Also, how do you decide which piece to use, I have no idea which way I want to go with it.

yyr

hikarutilmitt said:
Same. I'd been hoping, foolishly, that I might possibly get my sticks by the end of the week (ordered Friday evening), now it looks more like the end of next week.

I ordered on Thursday afternoon and my sticks shipped on 11/30. So they ARE shipping them out... yours ought to be on the way soon.

DJ_Tet

Banned
That is a sick sale. At $150 for two that's about what I'm going to end up paying for two modded SE sticks that I got in the Walmart fiasco for $15 apiece ($15+$60 in Lizard Lick parts x2 = $150.)

Not a bad deal for not having to mod them!

I've got three more buttons to mod on my first stick, it's not too bad. Hopefully I can get the wire off this button, it's a little stuck. Other than that everything has been easy, however there was some red 'wax' dripped over the interior screws. Made it tougher to get the joystick out than shown on youtube vids, finally got it though.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone have a spare Mad Catz SE (or just SE case - you can gut/keep the PCB, buttons, and stick) to let go of? I don't care what condition the electronics and parts are in, just want the top plate, plastic casing, and base plate essentially. I posted in the Buy/Sell Thread but I figured the GAFfers with extra sticks would be in this topic... :lol

Basically, I pre-ordered a couple of PS360 PCBs from Akishop and I'd love to have a more compact case to drop one into. I'd be willing to let go of one of the PS360s, have a few hacked common ground 360 pads that I could trade, or just straight up Paypal money if anyone's interested.

MarkMan said:
In case you missed out...

B1G1 FREE - Coupon Code 'NECXI' (Case sensitive), you can mix and match Round 1 & Round 2 sticks for PS3 and 360 - Street Fighter IV - GameShark� Store

4738.gif
SF4-RD2-4738.jpg

Just in case you missed out last week. This deal is just for NEC XI weekend!

If you want even BETTER deals, come visit the Mad Catz booth at NEC in Philly!

Fighting Game Tournaments in Philadelphia PA -- The Northeast Championships
Awesome deal. The R2 sticks are gorgeous, but I'm set.

Markman sales need some Euro love! :(

Can anybody answer my earlier question about the best place to get a VLX if I'm in the UK? If absolutely necessary I can have it ordered to US relatives and ship it over, but I still want to make sure I'm not missing out on a cheaper place to find it.

yyr said:
I ordered on Thursday afternoon and my sticks shipped on 11/30. So they ARE shipping them out... yours ought to be on the way soon.

Yeah, I just got my email earlier today that they shipped. I wish FedEX delivered on Saturdays, I might have had them by the end of the week. :lol

Threi

notag
ExMachina said:
Does anyone have a spare Mad Catz SE (or just SE case - you can gut/keep the PCB, buttons, and stick) to let go of? I don't care what condition the electronics and parts are in, just want the top plate, plastic casing, and base plate essentially. I posted in the Buy/Sell Thread but I figured the GAFfers with extra sticks would be in this topic... :lol
I have a spare PS3 SE, only problem is the previous owner dropped it or something so the welded mounting plate got knocked off at two points. I put a small screw in there to try to fix it, it seems to be holding fine. I dunno if it's a dealbreaker but it seems to be secure.

gWh44l.jpg

5tIbWl.jpg

dWn5hl.jpg

Because I don't have a PS3 it's become a bit of a "testing" stick, but the plastic case (aside from the mounting plate thing) is in good condition.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Threi: That'd be more than perfect, actually, since the first thing I'd do is rip off the stock art and the trimming/lining you've added is really nice. :lol The damage to the mounting area sounds manageable, I've had to deal with some damaged stick top panels before and have made 'em work with dremeling/epoxy/whatever.

Sendin' a PM to ask about payment, shipping, etc.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Tested out my new SFIV SE modded with sanwa stick and buttons, everything feels fantastic :)

Only problem is my guide button doesn't seem to work. I should have tested it all out before I modded it, but they were $14 clearance sticks so even if it didn't work I still would have kept it.

I've got another stick, hopefully the guide button works on that one.

Threi

notag
DJ_Tet said:
Tested out my new SFIV SE modded with sanwa stick and buttons, everything feels fantastic :)

Only problem is my guide button doesn't seem to work. I should have tested it all out before I modded it, but they were $14 clearance sticks so even if it didn't work I still would have kept it.

I've got another stick, hopefully the guide button works on that one.
check that the lock switch on the turbo panel isn't shorted or anything.

Man I'm starting become a stick whore but I still only have 1 to date :lol

Well I actually had 2, but I gave my first stick(Hori FS3) to a friend. But I plan on getting another one early next year. I'm thinking either the Qanba Q3 or the Hori VLX. The Hori VLX is very sexy and that would definitely be a attention getter if you brought it to a local tourney. I love the design and everything about it, the price is just kind of scary but I told myself I will own it one day.

The Qanba on the other hand is also very interesting. I really like the design and since it's foreign it's probably more rarely seen at most local tournaments. Which is nice, since you and others can try something different for once. Although it's wireless, I haven't read anyone complaining about input lag. The price is also pretty friendly, you could almost buy 3 Qanba's for the price of 1 Hori VLX. Can't wait for next year, when one of these two will be sitting in my home by then.

Mr. Hyde

MarkMan said:
In case you missed out...

B1G1 FREE - Coupon Code 'NECXI' (Case sensitive), you can mix and match Round 1 & Round 2 sticks for PS3 and 360 - Street Fighter IV - GameShark� Store

4738.gif
SF4-RD2-4738.jpg

Just in case you missed out last week. This deal is just for NEC XI weekend!

If you want even BETTER deals, come visit the Mad Catz booth at NEC in Philly!

Fighting Game Tournaments in Philadelphia PA -- The Northeast Championships

How.. did I miss that deal? :lol Ah well. Someday!

mollipen

So, the Lb on my 360 Mad Catz STIV SE has stopped working. Thought maybe the Sanwa button had gone bad, switched it out for the stock button that came with the stick, still nothing.

Is there any history with the build quality of these sticks that might give me insight into what the problem would be? I know the next logical step would be to start yanking wired and swap out a pair from one of the other buttons, but before I do so I'm curious if it's more likely the circuit board or some other thing about the stick that's a known issue.

Threi

notag
TE and SE do have a bit of a track record of having the four rightmost buttons go out. However, make sure that there is a consistent connection between the PCB and the switch before you deem it bad. It could just be a loose connection on the terminal strip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom