• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF plays...31 Nights of Horror...5

IrishNinja

nice - buddy was just telling me to play Clock Tower first, to see where RE7 gets some of its conventions? can't wait!

hzsn724

Currently working on:
Deadly_Premonition_cover_art.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

promo322864289

Plan to get:
header.jpg

TheEvilWithinII_boxart-template-1200x1476.jpg

Teknoman

Just restarted Sweet Home as well. Hopefully the battery isnt dead or something, because when I booted it up, it started a new game. Named characters after myself and some friends to make it that much more harrowing. I'll probably keep playing either Yomawari or Silent Hill 1 at night.

tonypark

Just bought resident evil revelations on ps4. First time playing it and hoping it is decent!
Starting it tonight then going to give a shot to amnesia collection tomorrow!
Keeping me busy until friday 13th for TEW2.

Roldan

Now I'm off to RE1! It sucks that we're stuck with the fart soundtrack version on PSN, but that'll have to do.

Teknoman

Now I'm off to RE1! It sucks that we're stuck with the fart soundtrack version on PSN, but that'll have to do.

The original never hit?

Also now I'm being indecisive on what Silent Hill to play... I want to do 1, but 2 is pulling me and I haven't played 3 in awhile...

I love horror games and this is my favorite time of year. Here’s what I’m looking at playing:

- Stories Untold (already played The House Abandon and loved it)
- The Bunker (not quite horror per se, but pretty tense)
- SOMA (already finished when it came out, but I love it so much)
- Araya (Thai horror indie game, which hits close to home since my wife’s family is Thai)
- Amnesia Collection (free on PS+ this month, why not)
- Until Dawn

I’m actually hoping I can convince my wife to try Until Dawn so I can watch her play. She’s not into games but loves horror movies.

alf717

If you're looking for a challenge hunt down an original copy of Resident Evil with no aim assist and have fun getting your butt kicked. =) Well, its not super hard but without the auto aim it does make it a lot tougher. Also the Saturn version has no aim assist. Also this might only apply to US copies. I wanna join in on this year's 31 days of horror but I have no clue what I wanna play. Wish my PC wasn't so dated. I would give The Evil Within a shot.

Spyware

Finished Forbidden Siren 2. It's a bit like Bioshock 2 in that the gameplay is better than in the first game but the story is not. Way more enjoyable to play and not as obscure, with some nice creepies thrown in there too.

Now: Rule of Rose!

This pic screams Haunting Ground to me. :D
Btw, I'm going in compleeeetely blind!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

tav7623

Decided to post some initial thoughts after playing about 2 hrs of RastaGundam's game Narcosis. I went in to the game not knowing anything about the game at all other than it was in first person and that it was on PC & Xbox One. I gotta say so far I'm pretty damn impressed as I found the game to be very claustrophobic not to mention very tense & atmospheric (as I write this I realized it kinda reminded me of playing as Delta in Bioshock 2 for the first tiime, which for me personally was not a bad thing as I actually really enjoyed that game even though story wise it couldn't come close to living up to the reputation of it's predecessor created) and it's slow pace very fitting. The only (and so far fairly minor one as it's more of a nuisance than anything else ) gripe I have is that I wish the checkpoint system saved a little bit more often as I had completed about half the segment involving the shuttle bay shuttle & doors and ended up dying (I ran out of flares and didn't realize I was about to take "a long walk of a short pier" if you catch my drift) only to have to redo the whole thing all over again. .

BTails

I spent some more time with Sweet Home tonight... With the help of a couple more beer, I made some pretty good progress. First off, I'm really starting to get the hang of the menu system, I can swap parties, items, weapons, and other things pretty quickly. I've also learned the 5 characters names, so I don't have to refer to my cheat sheet anymore.

I'm also starting to see some pretty awesome monster designs. The "Grave" consistently spews blood. The Hound seems to be rather weak to certain weapons, so you have to make sure everyone's carrying something different (Axe, Sword, Spear... I even found a Club and a "Shiv"!).

I found some traps... Which ended up getting one of my characters killed. Thankfully my last save game wasn't too far back. Also, the death animations are pretty brutal: poor Akiko splatted against, then slid down the wall.

After some nasty sections via candlelight where you can only see a few squares ahead of the characters, plus some puzzle solving, I was able to make it to the garden. Here I'm in the shed, where I was able to turn on the generator! This should let me get past a previously impassable area.

Two more beer down, and a ton more of the mansion mapped (Not pictured are other maps in later pages of my notebook). I'm still enjoying the heck out of the game, and have been pretty careful about levelling my characters, so nothing's been particularly challenging so far. I can't wait to continue and get further! Mainly to see what gruesome enemies ahead me in the next section...

Luminaire

TODAY! AND MOSTLY YESTERDAY!

Mhmhmhmhmhmhmhmhmhm.

Lost my save years ago, but managed to get further than I had previously. Hit my first 'boss' where I actually had a difficult time. I swear I heard a lady say something once I loaded my save...and it doesn't help that if you pause, bloody handprints start to cover the screen...

Also I'm mega jealous at you people with Rule of Rose. It's the last one on my checklist to hunt down. I forget if it emulates well...

I like (and miss) Resident Evil's claustrophobic Mansion style setting. The way it's set somewhere familiar, seemingly innocent and apparently small sets you up for the uneasy feeling you get when you realise you can get lost in that place. Corridors are tight, doors are locked, ways that you thought you could take become blocked due to events (and wear and tear?!).

Then just as you start to become used to it, almost overly familiar they change it up with secret passages and areas you wouldn't expect to be attached to a mansion (despite in-game files suggesting otherwise).

Started Observer last night. It's got a really great look, but it hasn't really done anything special yet. It's still early, though. It's reminding me a bit of Get Even, which came out earlier in the year, in that it's making really shallow attempts to prove it's more than a walking simulator from a gameplay standpoint, but it's still what it is. That said, I'm okay with it being a slow burn if it ends up going some interesting places, but so far it's pretty unremarkable.

And the reviews weren't kidding, Rutger Hauer's performance is absolutely dreadful. It sounds somewhere in between complete disinterest and Radiohead's "Fitter Happier" being played back in Hauer's voice. Maybe/hopefully there's an in-game story explanation for this, lol...

Hoping to not derail the thread too much but it still fits with the horror discussion.

As a PS4 only player - what are my options for horror games?

I'm currently playing The Evil Within and will likely grab the sequel.

I've played Resident Evil 4 & 7, The Last of Us, Until Dawn, Bloodborne, Dying Light, and I'm slowly slowly working my way through Zombi but I'm not feeling it too much.

What else is out there? I know Amnesia & Outlast are two bigger titles but honestly, I'm not really feelin' the hide & seek style of games (though I still may give Amnesia a shot since it's a PS+ freebie). I guess I'm more a fan of survival horror or action horror. I dig the resource management/crafting style of gameplay.

lazyguy

I play a Resident Evil game for the first time every year and this time it's Resident Evil 4 time.
I'm really curious to play this supposed "best" Resident Evil but I'm skeptical it can beat actual best Resident Evil(Resi 2).
Only time will tell...
Also no way in hell I'm touching Narcosis.
Game looks cool but I have an extreme phobia of lobsters and crabs and shit and that game has some of those huge king-style fuckers so that's a no-go for me.

gweemz

Thanks for the advice! I currently have Resident Evil remake, Outlast, and Until Dawn (which i got most of the way through). Which one should I play?

Zutrax

Hoping to not derail the thread too much but it still fits with the horror discussion.

I've played Resident Evil 4 & 7, The Last of Us, Until Dawn, Bloodborne, Dying Light, and I'm slowly slowly working my way through Zombi but I'm not feeling it too much.

What else is out there? I know Amnesia & Outlast are two bigger titles but honestly, I'm not really feelin' the hide & seek style of games (though I still may give Amnesia a shot since it's a PS+ freebie). I guess I'm more a fan of survival horror or action horror. I dig the resource management/crafting style of gameplay.

PS4 is great for horror! Especially if you have a VR headset.

White Day remake just came out recently for PS4, which is a stellar horror title I've been playing the last few days. Little Nightmares is a great indie platformer horror title. There's Evil Within if you want to prep for Evil Within 2 coming up soon. I played both Layers of Fear as well as Observer on my PS4, which are really good "walking simulator" style horror games (There's also SOMA but I played it on PC, can't atest to PS4 performance quality). Alien Isolation is fantastic if you're into sci-fi horror or that franchise at all with hide and seek/fps elements. And then there is always the grand daddy P.T. but the ability to play that is based solely on whether you already owned it or not, so that may not be an option.

If you have a VR headset you can also go for the new Paranormal Activity VR title that released which is a really good. Until Dawn Rush of Blood is an incredibly enjoyable "carnival ride" rail shooter. Dreadhalls is a neat little indie title that is fun for a couple hours with friends Also replaying Resi 7 in VR is a blast and makes replaying that game a vastly superior and different experience.

Edit: I don't want to make a double post so hopefully people see this. Anyone have any great lesser known older adventure style or point and click style titles they can recommend? There's so many weird obscure ones out there from the late 90's early 00's that just went completely under my radar. Things like I Have no Mouth and I Must Scream, Phantasmagoria, Harvester, etc.

Two of my favorites available on PS4 are Alien Isolation (my 2014 GOTY) and SOMA. However, both of these also slant in the hide & seek direction, so if that's not your cup of tea you may not like those.

There aren't a ton of newer survival horror games that emphasize item management and ammo conservation, other than the ones you've already played. Your best bet might be to check out something like REmake HD, if you've never played it. It's my personal favorite horror game ever and I can't recommend it enough.

Thanks for the advice! I currently have Resident Evil remake, Outlast, and Until Dawn (which i got most of the way through). Which one should I play?
REmake is the best.

Saphirax

There's plenty of indie horror games to choose from. There's also REmake and RE0 which are good survival horror games.

There's White Day (although the hide & seek mechanics do come into play since you have to avoid the janitor in this one).

Don't Starve - if you're into resource management.

Siren - ps2 classic. Outdated controls though.

Bioshock 1 & 2 (not really horror games) - for the atmosphere and...well survival :p.

Dead Island games have plenty of surviving and crafting but they're janky games in general. Also fun in co-op.

Metro games - again, not pure horror but they do have creepy atmosphere and you do get to shoot stuff!

Teknoman

Ok so Galerians: I kinda understand the need for tension / AP psychic power meter constantly rising...but it seems like it takes a bit of the pk fun out of the game. Also I'm kinda surprised it's map has no player cursor.

The story is really interesting so far, but I've still got a way to go. Haven't made it past the first facility.

Lord Phol

I haven't decided what games to play yet, but I got the following contenders so far:

- Oxenfree (It's one my steam backlog and I've heard good things about it).
- Condemned (Another game from my backlog).
- Until Dawn (Bought this for halloween 2 years ago, this will be the year I play and finish it).
- Bloodborne (One of my absolute favorite games of all time, haven't played it in quite awhile, this seems like a good oppertunity).
- Evil Within 2 (Really liked the first one despite its flaws (way too much one-shot situations and enemies). Haven't decided if I should buy this now or not though).

For recommendations I'd advise any horror fan to give Darkwood a try. I just wrote this little review for it on steam:

pVsEggb.png

Might give it a third playthrough this oktober.

cchum

Use free trial of ps now and play siren blood curse. At least I think it's on there

Luminaire

Hm!

Curiously, when re-playing a horror game you've already played, do you still feel the same emotions? Or is the effect completely lost on you the second time through?

One and done on horror games for me. They lose their magic once I've finished them. Some horror games even lose their magic once they show too much of the threat/mechanic. Alien: Isolation had me on my seat
until it became clear that the Alien wasn't really stalking you, but rather just warping around to stay within a set radius of you.

I loved Outlast, but I couldn't play it again with the same tension.

BTails

I just started playing the pc engine port of Shiryou Sensen: War of the Dead. A very early survivor horror RPG.

The pc engine version has a couple of game breaking bugs though and it requires a 50+ character password system to continue. >__>

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/wotd/wotd.htm

This looks SUPER AWESOME. Shame there's no translation patch, but at least it looks like there's a pretty good guide.

Every once and a while, i'm reminded of Dead of the Brain 1&2 on PC Engine, and then get sad because there's no translation for those either :(

Mathieran

Banned
Started Soma today, and it is sufficiently creepy for me. I didn't realize I would be spending so much time in the open ocean though, which was really tough at first for me, but at least my feet are on the ground so nothing will rise from the depths to eat me which is one of my biggest fears. I've also determined by now nothing crazy is going to randomly happen so I feel okay out there. Pretty good so far though.

Going to play some VR Thumper later and Dying Light has the hyper mode stuff going on til the 8th so I think I will play some of that too.

Teknoman

One and done on horror games for me. They lose their magic once I've finished them. Some horror games even lose their magic once they show too much of the threat/mechanic. Alien: Isolation had me on my seat
until it became clear that the Alien wasn't really stalking you, but rather just warping around to stay within a set radius of you.

I loved Outlast, but I couldn't play it again with the same tension.

Sorta like that aside from the staples (RE and Silent Hill). Those have interesting stories and soundtracks, so you focus even deeper on stuff you missed the first time.

Spyware

Oh boy.

Rule of Rose has an amazing story, art direction, beautiful music, it's very unique... Just it has some absolute shit combat and tedious gameplay in parts. However, all of the other elements definitely make it worth playing, and it's a game worth playing through to the end. All I'll say is once you beat it once, look up how to get the other ending (something you have to do in the final boss fight, won't have to replay the game or anything like that), it adds an additional chapter at the end you'll want to experience.
I can handle tedious gameplay. I 100%ed both Siren 1 and 2 recently ;)
Other ending is something I will check for sure! I always try to really complete all the games I play.

Hm!

Curiously, when re-playing a horror game you've already played, do you still feel the same emotions? Or is the effect completely lost on you the second time through?
Depends on how good the game is. For me a good horror game needs to have an oppressive, tense or creepy atmosphere and that shouldn't go away when replaying it.
I don't feel the exact same feelings, since the surprise is gone, but that doesn't mean the game is worse. It just becomes something different. I can also pick up on stuff I missed the first time and enjoy the deeper understanding I might get and so on. :)

Luminaire

Depends on how good the game is. For me a good horror game needs to have an oppressive, tense or creepy atmosphere and that shouldn't go away when replaying it.
I don't feel the exact same feelings, since the surprise is gone, but that doesn't mean the game is worse. It just becomes something different. I can also pick up on stuff I missed the first time and enjoy the deeper understanding I might get and so on. :)

Very true. I've restarted Fatal Frame maybe 5 times now (memory card issues wiping saves, rebuying the games, capture tests for dark games, etc) and found myself pretty disturbed even as I'd run through to a place I'd gone through 4 times previous. I think games with a bit of randomness can also help keep the lasting impression of horror going.

I have noticed though...once I get used to a games mechanics, I don't really find myself scared much by them anymore, even on the first playthrough. Dead Space, Resident Evil 7, and others lost their scarefactor for me, but kept their dreadful horror vibe that I love.

BTails

I have noticed though...once I get used to a games mechanics, I don't really find myself scared much by them anymore, even on the first playthrough. Dead Space, Resident Evil 7, and others lost their scarefactor for me, but kept their dreadful horror vibe that I love.

I 100% agree with this. Even once a game stops being traditionally “scary”, as long as the atmosphere continues, I still enjoy it immensely. RE7 is a great example: my first playthrough was in VR, which was absolutely terrifying at first, but by the end I was just enjoying the heck out of the game, scare-free. As soon as I finished, I ran through the game again in non-VR as a speedrun, enjoying kiting enemies around and zipping through the locales with speed and efficiency. Both great experiences with a horror game, but both very different.

Teknoman

Sucks that im trying to stream with the exact same settings I used some months back, which worked perfectly, but now i'm getting all sorta of latency messiness issues.

EDIT: Meh, I might have just wait and see what happens tomorrow. My upload speed is hitting at like 112Mbps, but i'm having bandwidth issues all of a sudden? Makes no sense... But thats another thread lol.

Luminaire

Sucks that im trying to stream with the exact same settings I used some months back, which worked perfectly, but now i'm getting all sorta of latency messiness issues.

EDIT: Meh, I might have just wait and see what happens tomorrow. My upload speed is hitting at like 112Mbps, but i'm having bandwidth issues all of a sudden? Makes no sense... But thats another thread lol.

Restarted your router and all that jazz? Could also be just a ton of traffic on your node or...whatever Comcast likes to say.

Also, made it to Night 3 in Fatal Frame 1. Running really low on health items...some of these ghosts have been absolute dickheads to try to capture. Good news is - I have a ton of high powered film.

Teknoman

Restarted your router and all that jazz? Could also be just a ton of traffic on your node or...whatever Comcast likes to say.

Also, made it to Night 3 in Fatal Frame 1. Running really low on health items...some of these ghosts have been absolute dickheads to try to capture. Good news is - I have a ton of high powered film.

Possibility I guess, since its a rainy night or something, and I was having some streaming issues earlier with youtube pausing every now and again.

This is what I was used to with my new connection:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba2yLFq83-8&t=25s

Was gonna stream some Silent Hill, but I probably should be turning in anyway. Sweet Home is calling me as well lol.

BTails

Was gonna stream some Silent Hill, but I probably should be turning in anyway. Sweet Home is calling me as well lol.

Do it Tekno, give in to Sweet Home...........

I played a couple more hours tonight. My maps are getting insanely messy, but they're good enough that I know what's going on. Got through a swampy section where your characters would stick to the floor every few steps, while being chased by high-leveled enemies.

I then got into the Courtyard, where I had mirrors with ghostly reflections attacking me. After solving some more puzzles, I made it out to the Lake neighbouring the property, and have just started exploring there.

The game does a great job of varying it's locations. Just when you start to get sick of an area or a mechanic, it switches it up. Also, the monsters continue to be awesome. I mean, look at this guy! He can curse you by squirting Pus... How rad is that??

Seems like a bunch of ya'll are playing Galerians, maybe I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

The Snes classic is unfortunately really hard to put aside right now.

Played Silent Hill 3 tonight for the first time in about 4 years, got to the halfway point, hoping to finish the rest tomorrow. Of course everyone already knows it but the game is gorgeous, looks amazing on a CRT, and I think it for sure remains my favorite Silent Hill game, certainly the most frightening I think.

It's a lot less subtle than 2, but the sound design, art, enemies and everything is just so inherently repulsive, it still gets under my skin when I'm playing in the dark at night. Really miss these types of games, this sort of intricate and layered survival horror dungeon design feels like a lost art in current game design.

Melchiah

I just completed my third playthrough of The Last of Us, and now I've started Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. I'd like to clear some of these horror games from my backlog this month as well... SOMA, Gone Home, Layers of Fear, Until Dawn, Zombi ...but I've pretty much given up on SOMA, eventhough I'd really want to experience the story through, since the run & hide mechanic isn't enjoyable to me at all. It's too bad the mod that stops the monsters from attacking isn't available on consoles.

Top Bottom