• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 7 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

Ridley327

Speaking of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, how similar are the '56 original and the '78 remake?

I'm trying to decide if I want to watch them back-to-back this year, or do one now and then one next year. If they're too much alike I'm worried I may find '78 boring so I'd rather pad them out in that case.

I've only ever seen the '93 re-remake. And that was back in '93 (or '94).

Not very. The '78 remake is more of an out-and-out horror film than the original, which fit right in with the sci-fi "IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU!" craze of the era. The '78 version does have a really cool reference to the original early on in the proceedings, so it's worth it to watch the original prior to it so that it lands harder.

I'll have my review of the film I watched today up in the morning. I've had a long day due to a doctor's appointment for my toe, so I'd rather err on the side of caution for a change.

zeemumu

3. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter

fridaythe13thpart4_poster.jpg

I was actually pretty excited for this one because I don't have a lot of experience with parts 2-5 in the Friday the 13th series, and this is one of the important ones for all that Jason lore. Pretty weird seeing young, pre-BttF Crispin Glover in this as well. Overall I liked it. It's not a Jason that I'm used to. This one has the ability to move faster than a brisk walk, reacts to pain, and makes human grunting noises since this is still human but also freakishly strong Jason. In addition to the standard cannon fodder of young people who are there purely for Jason to murder you also have the family next door providing us with protagonists that we can actually root for. In a lot of ways, The Final Chapter is ironically to the prologue to the Jason that we're all familiar with.

Day 3: Basket Case, this was pretty fun. Its such a low budget trashy movie but it ends up being surprisingly good. Its gory and kills are actually not too bad and the monster looks both freaky and ridiculous giving it that blend of cheesy and scary. Definitely recommend this one for anyone in the mood for a low budget trashy horror film.

Also just found out my partner is also watching the movies along with me even on days where we don't hang out. She helped build my list so I excited to see her join in on the fun too.

FiggyCal

Banned
#5 Return of the Living Dead
The_Return_of_the_Living_Dead_(film).jpg

A goofy send up (with a call out no less) of the Romero movies set in an 80s dance punk world. I've always enjoyed Frank the most and that remains the case (goes out like a boss).
Not as violent as I remember, but easily the first example of running undead zombies. Quirky and entertaining, and also leads me into 2 and three, which I've never seen before.
Totals 80s and totally enjoyable.
I love this movie. I think it's also the first zombie movies where the zombies groan "brains" - which is kind of a trope now. But I could be wrong about that.

Speaking of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, how similar are the '56 original and the '78 remake?

I'm trying to decide if I want to watch them back-to-back this year, or do one now and then one next year. If they're too much alike I'm worried I may find '78 boring so I'd rather pad them out in that case.

I've only ever seen the '93 re-remake. And that was back in '93 (or '94).

I haven't seen the '56 version so I can't be sure, but I assume it's not a The Thing or The Fly scenario where the remake is radically different. I do know there are some big differences though. Whatever you decide to go with I can't recommend the '78 version enough. I saw it about four years ago and now I rewatch it annually.

Just watched Friday the 13 the final chapter so I guess I'm done with the sequels. What's that I'm only 3/7 done with the sequels?

These Friday the 13th recaps get longer each time. Jason is putting on weight now and has settled into the mask thing though it's funny it wasn't until 2.5 films in that we got the iconic look

Getting a little slasher burnt out but I think I'll ride it out and enjoy the idiocy as I get through these till part 8

PS: the exploding title cards make me laugh every time

I imagine that Part 5 will be a bit of a chore for you, but they start shaking things up afterwards (for better and worse).

I love this movie. I think it's also the first zombie movies where the zombies groan "brains" - which is kind of a trope now. But I could be wrong about that.

You're right, RotLD was the first.

zeemumu

#5 Return of the Living Dead
The_Return_of_the_Living_Dead_(film).jpg

A goofy send up (with a call out no less) of the Romero movies set in an 80s dance punk world. I've always enjoyed Frank the most and that remains the case (goes out like a boss).
Not as violent as I remember, but easily the first example of running undead zombies. Quirky and entertaining, and also leads me into 2 and three, which I've never seen before.
Totals 80s and totally enjoyable.

Not really a fan of 2 (It's more or less an alternate retelling of 1) but I remember liking 3. I just don't remember if I liked 3 for actually being good or for being batshit insane.

As far as I know, you're right. Zombies didn't eat brains until Return of the Living Dead.

Wanderer5

2. Nosferatu (1922)

Meh, a film this early in film history probably just doesn't do it for me, and I got pretty damn bored with this lol. Still some pretty good moments with the count however (like the shadows on the staircase that is in the pic above), and the history of this movie is interesting. In fact, seeing this on Amazon Prime, I notice that the characters seem to have different names, and in particular, Count Orlok being called Dracula? Don't know what version I saw, but doesn't look to be the original (USA version maybe???).

4. Brain Damage

I figured it was time to class this thing up a little so I relied on good ole Frank Henenlotter to bring to goods.

{snip}

I believe I'll keep the Henenlotter tradition alive by including him in next year's marathon as well. I've got a couple of Basket Case sequels sitting on my shelf that are begging to have the chance to offend/entertain.

Verdict: 7.5/10

There are two names in horror who I wish made more movies. Michele Soavi who seems to have vanished into a see of Italian TV direction. He showed such promise with the few he did make and man, what a style. Such a shame his talents are being wasted on TV movies.

And then there's Frank Henenlotter who is just sooooo bizarre. Not all of his films are what I'd say are good, but every damn one of them is interesting. And weird. Very, very werid.

He's one of those guys you wish had a glass skull so you could see what the hell is going on in there.

Not very. The '78 remake is more of an out-and-out horror film than the original, which fit right in with the sci-fi "IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU!" craze of the era. The '78 version does have a really cool reference to the original early on in the proceedings, so it's worth it to watch the original prior to it so that it lands harder.

I'll have my review of the film I watched today up in the morning. I've had a long day due to a doctor's appointment for my toe, so I'd rather err on the side of caution for a change.

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll do my best to work both in. Hope your toe is okay :)

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
3. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter

I was actually pretty excited for this one because I don't have a lot of experience with parts 2-5 in the Friday the 13th series, and this is one of the important ones for all that Jason lore. Pretty weird seeing young, pre-BttF Crispin Glover in this as well. Overall I liked it. It's not a Jason that I'm used to. This one has the ability to move faster than a brisk walk, reacts to pain, and makes human grunting noises since this is still human but also freakishly strong Jason. In addition to the standard cannon fodder of young people who are there purely for Jason to murder you also have the family next door providing us with protagonists that we can actually root for. In a lot of ways, The Final Chapter is ironically to the prologue to the Jason that we're all familiar with.

I feel like this was the first one with all the Jason cliches but I just watched it for the first time yesterday

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I imagine that Part 5 will be a bit of a chore for you, but they start shaking things up afterwards

Really? Hmmm well watching a bunch of sex cravers is always fun to a certain degree and this year I’m going through all the oversequelized horror franchises (F13th, Halloween, and nightmare at least with possible hellraiser and living dead viewings). Never saw the sequels in full always parts on tv and usually just the Halloween franchise at that. Seen all the originals of the ones I mentioned except for living dead

Today for me is The Shining (first rewatch of it, should be interesting) and Possession (first time, can't wait)

Heard a lot of great things about Possession

Steamlord

Possession impressions are gonna be fun.

Unfortunately this is a busy week for me so I'm probably going to fall way behind.

Day 3 done.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
The main theme of this year’s list was to finally watch whatever staples of the horror genre I’ve somehow missed up to this point. The first film of this initiative was the ‘78 Body Snatchers starring the always great Donald Sutherland along with Jeff Goldblum, Brooke Adams and Veronica Cartwright.

Going into the film, I had already felt that I had been robbed of what could have been an otherwise massive twist. Along with films like The Sixth Sense, the twist in the film has basically become common knowledge in the film world. I tried my best not to let the spoiler influence my enjoyment of the rest of the film and thankfully, I feel like I managed to look past it. As for the positives and negatives...

The performances were rock solid across the board. Sutherland is amazing and gives the role one hundred percent, something that elevates the inherently wacky concept and almost manages to ground the material. The supporting cast is fantastic as well with Goldblum being the standout, though I wish he was given more screen time, perhaps trading places with Nimoy’s dry performance as the psychiatrist
turned Pod leader.
Another massive strength was the cinematography and sound design. The film is fucking eerie and you really begin to feel the paranoia setting in with every pulsating synth beat and
crunch of the Pod birthing a new duplicate.
The tension is only elevated by the mostly incredible effects, namely the
newborn duplicates. Sutherland’s duplicate was absolutely horrifying, mostly due in part to the fantastic creature design.

Where the film really loses points for me is the construction. The best word to describe the pacing is “messy.” Important plot details are often glossed over with haste and a fair amount of things are left to the imagination through vague implications, moments like
Matthew and Elizabeth leaving Nancy to fend for herself after Elizabeth blows their cover by screaming at the hysterically dated mutant dog. The film’s twist obviously reintroduces Nancy as the last remaining human so I suppose the reasonable assumption is that she managed to maintain her composure and never reveal herself for all that time? Wouldn’t she have later tried seeking out Matthew and Nancy or had she decided that her survival was paramount and they should be fine on their own?
Plot omissions like this leave things feeling vague and I wished the film allowed itself more time to flesh out a handful of underdeveloped plot points.

There’s truly no denying Body Snatcher’s effectiveness. While the story never quite feels properly fleshed out and the pacing is uneven, it still manages to serve as a functional background for some incredibly creepy and frightening moments and terrific performances. It may not earn a spot in my personal favorites but Invasion of the Body Snatchers is a solid film that manages to deliver solid slow-burn horror.

7/10

There are two names in horror who I wish made more movies. Michele Soavi who seems to have vanished into a see of Italian TV direction. He showed such promise with the few he did make and man, what a style. Such a shame his talents are being wasted on TV movies.

And then there's Frank Henenlotter who is just sooooo bizarre. Not all of his films are what I'd say are good, but every damn one of them is interesting. And weird. Very, very werid.

He's one of those guys you wish had a glass skull so you could see what the hell is going on in there.

I'll definitely agree with both of those. As for Soavi, I've still got The Church and The Sect to get to at some point. I hear mixed impressions on them, but the man deserves my attention because of Stagefright and Dellamorte Dellamore (Where's the damn blu-ray release?!?!?!). It's weird he pretty much vanished from directing like you said. I guess that happened to a lot of 80's/90's horror directors. A lot of them either disappeared or had their career's fizzle out. Henenlotter made a movie sometime in the past decade. I hear it's not worth seeking though.

Today for me is Possession (first time, can't wait)

NsO1K9L.gif

aravuus

6) Halloween (1978)

Watching Halloween makes you wish this was the style that slasher films and other horror movies took to heart. I hadn’t seen it in quite some time, and I had forgotten how...patient it is. Michael doesn’t kill someone till nearly an hour in, and all the famous scenes with Laurie don’t happen till the last 15-20 minutes. Instead we get a slow tense thriller, where Michael isn’t a classic slasher but a silent intelligent presence. Much of the movie frames him as this eerie indistinct figure in the distance, an unsettling aberration among this suburban neighborhood, just barely visible in the background, watching, stalking, or cloaked in shadows once night falls. He never speaks a word, but the sound of his guttural breathing is ever present, more predator than man.

If anything, Halloween is too much build-up. While the daytime moments of stalking were effective, as are many of those at night, Halloween can be feel quite subdued at times. You’d never guess while watching that this movie would spawn such a big franchise.

The score really stands out; besides the classic theme, much of the soundtrack is simple piano tracks reminiscent of Jaws, that add to the tension much like Dunkirk’s recent ticking clock.

The original Halloween is such a fucking good movie. Hope I'll get the chance to rewatch it again soon.

Steamlord

So it looks like I'll have a chance to see the NotLD and Suspiria restorations in a theater later this month. It seems like the NotLD restoration doesn't include that nine minutes of lost footage though? I remember hearing a lot about that a year or so ago and I was really excited about it.

Anyway, I'm literally moving in a few days to the city where these are being shown, so I need to meet some people to see them with :p

sp3ctr3

4. Train to Busan
This movie was awesome and deserves all the praise that it gets. The story was good, the action was good and there was some very tense moments in there where you were on the edge of your seat, holding your breath.

It's a zombie movie. A work-a-holic dad, who never has time for his daughter, grants her birthday wish and takes her to her mom. On the train ride hell breaks lose and it's full on zombie apocalypse. When bitten, people turn really fast and I'm impressed by the actors and how their contort their bodies as the undead. Looks absolutely unreal!?

These are infected fast "zombies" like in 28 days

October 3rd,

Film #3: The Monster Squad (1987)

Thought it was fun overall since it was in the vein one of those 80s (no duh) and 90s kids movies I grew up watching. As a kid I didn't really like the Universal Monster movies, but I did love the monsters themselves, if that makes sense. Mix those two together and I had a lot of fun with this movie.

It's currently on Hulu if anyone else hasn't seen it yet.

Day 1. - Little Evil - 1.5/5
Day 2. - The Pretty Thing that Lives in the House - 2.5/5
Day 3. - Gerald's Game

Gerald's Game is a Netflix original film based on the novel by Stephen King, directed by Mike Flanagan(Ouija: Origin of Evil, Oculus) staring Carla Gugino(Spy Kids trilogy, Wayward Pines) and Bruce Greenwood(St. Elsewhere, Kingsman: The Golden Circle)

I'll keep this one short as there are many impressions & reviews for this one already. Gerald's Game is a gripping tale of a kinky rp gone wrong and stays intense for most of the film. Carla Gugino kills it here. She turns in a performance that's fantastic, especially when she's largely by herself. I was ready to give this a 4 as I was enjoying it so much...then last 15 minutes happened. What an awful ending. It feels like a different movie at the end, its so out of place and sudden (spoilers)
Narrating appears out of nowhere and they explained the monster, which wasn't needed at all, why not just keep that in mystery? such a bizarre turn.
I don't think ill see this one again thanks to that ending. I still recommend checking it out. It's a solid movie outside the last act.

3/5

"The Invitation" is next

Day 3: The Dark Half (kind of whatever, but i dug the dream sequence and the ending), Bride of the Re-Animator (fun in a weirdly slapstick way), and Southbound (pretty cool and ambitious/ambiguous storytelling for a horror anthology).

It seems like the NotLD restoration doesn't include that nine minutes of lost footage though? I remember hearing a lot about that a year or so ago and I was really excited about it.

I've been wondering the same thing. I haven't heard a word about it since the announcement. I assume we'll know for certain if the rumors are true and Criterion are releasing NotLD in the future.

sp3ctr3

October 3rd,

Film #3: The Monster Squad (1987)

Thought it was fun overall since it was in the vein one of those 80s (no duh) and 90s kids movies I grew up watching. As a kid I didn't really like the Universal Monster movies, but I did love the monsters themselves, if that makes sense. Mix those two together and I had a lot of fun with this movie.

It's currently on Hulu if anyone else hasn't seen it yet.

I love this movie. I taught me that you can escape a werewolf by kicking it in the nuts

sadromeo

4. Train to Busan
This movie was awesome and deserves all the praise that it gets. The story was good, the action was good and there was some very tense moments in there where you were on the edge of your seat, holding your breath.

It's a zombie movie. A work-a-holic dad, who never has time for his daughter, grants her birthday wish and takes her to her mom. On the train ride hell breaks lose and it's full on zombie apocalypse. When bitten, people turn really fast and I'm impressed by the actors and how their contort their bodies as the undead. Looks absolutely unreal!?

These are infected fast "zombies" like in 28 days

Honestly, this is one of the best "zombie" movies I have ever seen. And I love all zombie movies. From the cheesy Italian ones, to Romero's, to the fast running 28 days later ones and to the Resident Evil ones. I love zombie movies/games and Train to Busan was just the best to me. I will definitely be watching it as one my 31 as well. We need a sequel to Train to Busan already!

sadromeo

October 3, 2017:

d52c2829-0263-495c-b639-aab41ab36922_zpsykukb8lv.jpg

3 of 31 - Rob Zombie's 31

An interesting movie that deals with a group of semi bad people captured by rich bad people, who hire badder people, to kill said semi bad people, all the while betting on who stays alive the longest and wearing aristocratic attire to mask who they really are and it's directed by Rob Zombie. Normally, in a movie, where teens/young adults/innocent adults are traveling together to get from point a to point b, and are accosted by crazy psychos/evil strangers/malicious killers/bored wealthy aristocrats, you tend to either like or favor all or some of the teens/young adults/innocent adults, so when they are eventually taken from this world, you try to build hope that at least one survives and makes it out alive. And if you are a horror movie fan, you usually catch on to who it will be.

However, in 31, I found that I really didn't like any of the semi-bad characters/victims. I found that I didn't like any of the characters at all. I liked the concept of the movie, I liked some of the acting (Malcom McDowell and Richard Brake "Mr. Night King" FTW) and I liked the premise of the "head" killers. What I did not like is that I did not care for any of the "victims" which lead to not caring if any survived and therefore looked forward more to how and when they were going to die. I am pretty sure that was not the intent of the movie, but for me, it played out that way.

And finally, the gore is in abundance and the atmosphere is creepy. The story is trope-ish, but if you want to see a movie where semi bad people get killed by badder people, who are hired by bad people, with lots of gore, a lite story with creepy atmosphere, then 31 is it. -5/10

gamz

October 3, 2017:

d52c2829-0263-495c-b639-aab41ab36922_zpsykukb8lv.jpg

3 of 31 - Rob Zombie's 31

An interesting movie that deals with a group of semi bad people captured by rich bad people, who hire badder people, to kill said semi bad people, all the while betting on who stays alive the longest and wearing aristocratic attire to mask who they really are and it's directed by Rob Zombie. Normally, in a movie, where teens/young adults/innocent adults are traveling together to get from point a to point b, and are accosted by crazy psychos/evil strangers/malicious killers/bored wealthy aristocrats, you tend to either like or favor all or some of the teens/young adults/innocent adults, so when they are eventually taken from this world, you try to build hope that at least one survives and makes it out alive. And if you are a horror movie fan, you usually catch on to who it will be.

However, in 31, I found that I really didn't like any of the semi-bad characters/victims. I found that I didn't like any of the characters at all. I liked the concept of the movie, I liked some of the acting (Malcom McDowell and Richard Brake "Mr. Night King" FTW) and I liked the premise of the "head" killers. What I did not like is that I did not care for any of the "victims" which lead to not caring if any survived and therefore looked forward more to how and when they were going to die. I am pretty sure that was not the intent of the movie, but for me, it played out that way.

And finally, the gore is in abundance and the atmosphere is creepy. The story is trope-ish, but if you want to see a movie where semi bad people get killed by badder people, who are hired by bad people, with lots of gore, a lite story with creepy atmosphere, then 31 is it. -5/10

Hated it. Zombie's worst movie.

Pachimari

I think you're getting your wires crossed with those John Carter films, because John Carpenter is fucking great. The Fog is alright but you should watch some of his other films like The Thing, They Live, Prince of Darkness, In The Mouth of Madness, Halloween... and so on.

Coincidentally I am starting off my horror binge tonight with The Thing (2011), only because I will be watching JC's the Thing (1982) anyway, so may as well watch that one first.
Yup, people told me I mistook the two of the for each other, sorry. I haven't seen a single one of those you have listed, but I'm gonna watch either Halloween, Rosemary's Baby or Suspiria today.

I have just never been a huge fan of slasher films.

1. (New) Jason Goes to Hell (Vudu) Overall - boo
2. (New) Trick 'r Treat (Blu) - Overall - Yay!
3. (Rewatch) From Dusk Till Dawn (hulu) Overall - Yay!
4. (Rewatch) The Faculty (hulu) - Overall - Yay!
5. (New) My Bloody Valentine (3d Blu) - Overall - yay.
6. (Rewatch) Sleepaway Camp 3 (vudu movies on us) - when I'm working I can sometimes have movies on. The Sleepaway Camp sequels are a favorite of mine for this. I enjoy 2 the most but it was bugging out yesterday so I put on 3 which takes place partially on Saturday the 14th. Overall - Yay
7. (New) Tag (Netflix) I actually thought from the trailer that this wouldn't count in the list but it was a much different movie than I was sold on. It had its moments but overall I was looking for something in the Battle Royale vein and wound up down a rabbit hole I didn't care about. Overall -Boo with random yays

Ridley327

October 3
I've often found that supernatural possession films tend to take after The Exorcist in a disappointingly narrow way; namely, the only part they seem concerned with is getting to the special effects extravaganza aspects as quickly as possible, character development be damned. As the thrashing, makeup and furniture destruction get more elaborate, the less interesting those films wind up being, which does a great disservice to the fascinating concepts behind possession. There are ideas seldom more terrifying than what would happen if your body was no longer that of your mind, and the best ones mine that for maximum effect. If for nothing else, and thankfully that isn't the case, this is some that Raat understands quite well.

Certainly more slower paced than a lot of similar films, Raat takes a lot of time in getting us to know the central characters long before any demonic presence becomes more corporeal. Not that there isn't something more sinister going on right away, as the nightmares of our main character open the film and continue for a scene or two to illustrate the kind of scares that the film is going for, but we spend a lot of time with the central family as they're coming to grips with the new home that they've moved into. Without needing to elaborate that much on it, there's even an interesting bit of divide in the family itself, as the youngest is actually the grandson of the heads of the family, who now lives with them and his aunt after his own parents died, and while they love each other, it does lend a nicely uneasy feeling that their lives aren't quite what they expected it to be and in a kind of constant turmoil. That certainly is true for our heroine.

Minnie seems caught between the passion of young adulthood and the responsibility she has to her family, trying her best to balance both while nightmares become more frequent and soon point more into the direction of grim premonition of events to come. I really did like these sequences quite a lot, as they not only feed into Minnie's greatest fear (being all alone in the world), but they're executed in simple yet effective ways, without any real special effects to speak of and wisely using open spaces to highlight the isolation. It's effective even for me as a westerner, but I can only imagine how killer this would have been for its native audience, with how dense the population of the country can be. Sometimes, one really needs is a universal fear and smart, prowling camerawork to be able to get genuine scares. And as Minnie, Revathy makes for a very sympathetic heroine that remains likable and engaging throughout, not in the least of which with her striking facial features that she's able to use to superb effect before and after her possession.

Once the possession does happen, and in broad daylight, no less (another strong element to the film that so much of it is staged during daytime hours and still gets the scares it's going for), the film takes on a far more sinister turn, as the possessed Minnie starts acting truly unlike herself, and from there, you can imagine the kind of structure that it goes through, with more scientific treatments having to give way to something more religious in nature in order to cure her condition. Along the way, we're treated to some surprisingly effective moments that while not heavy on the bloodshed, imply a whole lot of truly horrific events that can be inferred, particularly one character's death that happens largely out of the frame, but is pieced together through simple exposition and one very chilling visual metaphor that brings it all home. I do expect that some people might find this film to take too long to get to the "goods," such as they are, but this is the kind of film I love in the sense that it takes the time to lay its intentions out and expects you to meet it halfway. It's the kind of film that focuses mainly on good sound design, effective framing and strong acting to be able to sell the horror of the situation as it develops.

Ironically, the weakest element of the film is the exorcism itself, as it does finally give into the demands of the genre as it turns into more of a special effects-driven film, if ever so briefly, that threatens to undercut the strong character work and understated style that the film is so much better with. And the ending feels a little too pat for my liking, seemingly forgiving the crimes that have unfortunately been made in the wake of Minnie's possession that while I don't think needed something harsh, still needed to be answered for in some way. But as it is, the film works and works well very often, and the kind of mood and storytelling it goes for is the kind I find very appealing and desirable for the genre, which makes it all the more unfortunate that it doesn't happen as often as it should. Everyone else can have their overly violent bed slamming and burned effigies: give me a pair of colored contacts, a good close-up and a deeply unnerving smile any day.

Film for Oct 4: We've seen films both good and bad in the marathon already, but what about The Ugly? Unforgivable pun aside, this New Zealand shocker came highly, highly, highly recommended by my coworker, and I always like a good serious serial killer film. Time to see what all the fuss is about!

Hamoody

Day 3: Wes Craven's New Nightmare.

large_aO5ji9ollacnavdK06EPZmvwFu1.jpg

It is good, and really well written. There is nothing else I could really say without spoiling this movie, other than it having actors from the original film, including the infamous Robert Englund (Freddy Krueger).

Definitely recommend it, especially if you haven't seen any of the Nightmare on Elm Street films, except for the reboot.
Fuck the reboot :)

Blader

3. Creepshow

This was a fun one. I liked the comic book style, and schlockly dark humor tone. The first two segments were pretty meh (Stephen King should never act), but the third, with Leslie Nielsen torturing Ted Danson, is the strongest of the bunch. Nielsen's performance in particular is the standout of the whole film. The next segment, The Crate, is also good though probably goes on about 10 mins too long. The final one, involving a germophobe and a hell of a lot of cockroaches, is solid, gross stuff. All in all, an uneven but enjoyable anthology.

7/10

5 and 6 Pet Semetery I (1989) and II (1992)

First one might be a classic to some but I found it boring as hell. Everyone was an idiot (I get that possibly the area influenced them but still). Really bad acting, dialogue effects, facial expressions, camera work.

Second one was even worse but technically but two words: Clancy Brown, from introducing himself to the main character at the funeral of the main character's mother by saying hey you know I used to date your mom right? To be hamy as fuck when things get crazy. I also found the behavioural patterns of the returned more interesting here. Gorier, sillier, campier. First one was technically better but dull, second one was technically worse but actually entered into so bad it's good.

Don't recommend either though.

kevin1025

Banned
5) Cult of Chucky

I liked aspects of it, but it felt a little far fetched. Which is silly to say about killer dolls, I know, haha. But I had issues with logic stuff and character choices. I think Fiona Dourif is the major standout, she’s fantastic here, and Brad Dourif does super well as always. The setting is fitting, too, along with some of the imagery and gore. So it doesn’t quite hit the mark for me, but I think it has good stuff in there!

6) The Thing

My god, this movie is such perfection. I’ve watched it several times over the years and really liked it, but this time I absolutely loved it. The creature design and morphing is mind blowing, the tension and bleak atmosphere is gripping, the uncertainty and paranoia, and of course the awesome cast. So, so, so good!!

I am going to try and make today a 5 movie day. All of them are 90 minutes, so it’s sort of doable!

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
5. We Are Still Here - This was disappointing. It didn't surprise me to learn that it was helmed by a first-time director because it feels like a direct-to-video movie. The dialogue is stilted, plot points don't make sense, and there is hardly any atmosphere.

Penguin

Movie 1 - Dracula (1931) [NEW]
Movie 2 - Dracula 2000 [NEW]
Movie 3 - Dracula (1979) [NEW]
Movie 4- The Creature from The Black Lagoon [NEW]
Movie 5 - Dracula's Daughter [New]
Movie 6 - Son of Dracula [New]
Movie 7 - El Bar [New]

Movie 8 - Dark Prince: The True Story of Dracula [New]

Let me tell you, it is nearly impossible to find work safe horror movies! And... well this wasn't much of a horror movie.

Literally search Dracula on Youtube and this came up and was a USA Made-for-TV movie so assumed low on gore and cussing, which was true but also light on action and really Dracula being Dracula.

Instead it's an origin tale of Dracula or Vlad the Impaler and how he came to rule Romania and that power started to corrupt him as he pushed away those around him.

It is was pretty much just kind of there.

8) The Shining (1980)

I liked The Shining the first time I saw it, but I really loved it this time. There’s this undercurrent of constant dread, every scene coming and going with the purpose of adding another layer of tension and unease. From the opening drive through the gorgeous landscapes that highlights the isolation of the Overlook, to the conversation between management and Jack that doubles as both character introduction and foreboding tone setter, and so on and so forth, not a wasted scene. The movie constant frames the hotel interiors as massive and looming, the characters small and insignificant within its grand spaces; it’s a haunted house wearing a veneer of elegance, a gilded nightmare.

Jack Nicholson can portray manic madness like no one else, a look or a laugh or an outburst, and his descent in The Shining really sells the horror of the Overlook. It’s as much a story of domestic terror as it is a story of the Overlook’s malignant corrupting presence, and the symbiotic nature of the two as the movie progresses is what gives The Shining its timeless sense of horror.

41RP67BKF0L._SY445_.jpg

#6 - The Black Cat (FTV)

Probably the least inspired effort from Fulci I've seen since Murder Rock Dancing Death. The film had good atmosphere, and tense moments. However, I was bored halfway through and the death scenes looked really bad (specifically the death by fire). Would only recommend to Fulci completionists.

5 hypnotizing, randomly attacking black cats out of 10.

Cptkrush

Day 3: Wes Craven's New Nightmare.

large_aO5ji9ollacnavdK06EPZmvwFu1.jpg

It is good, and really well written. There is nothing else I could really say without spoiling this movie, other than it having actors from the original film, including the infamous Robert Englund (Freddy Krueger).

Definitely recommend it, especially if you haven't seen any of the Nightmare on Elm Street films, except for the reboot.
Fuck the reboot :)

New Nightmare is easily one of my favorite horror movies. I love how insane it is.

I would have liked New Nightmare more if it’s best kills weren’t just recycled ones from the first film except less over the top. It’s also way too long. The concept is really awesome, though.

aravuus

Day Four: Gerald's Game

Boring choice in the sense that I don't really have anything to add to the other reviews here. Acting was great, story was far creepier and more suspenseful than I expected,
creepy daddy was fucked up and the scenes with him made me pretty damn uncomfortable
and the last 15 minutes were 100% unnecessary and detrimental to the experience. I did find it funny how many of the scenes during the last 15 minutes ended in a way that could've been a great spot to FINALLY end the film... And then the next scene starts.

I'm gonna find a way to watch Train To Busan tomorrow. I NEED TO. The "favorite type of zombie" thread reminding me of how much I love 28 Days Later and it getting a ton of praise means I need to see it asap.

e: damn it, couldn't find the bluray anywhere nearby and had to order it online. Train To Busan gonna have to wait until Friday at least, though more likely it'll arrive on Monday or Tuesday.

kevin1025

Banned
Day Four: Gerald's Game

Boring choice in the sense that I don't really have anything to add to the other reviews here. Acting was great, story was far creepier and more suspenseful than I expected,
creepy daddy was fucked up and the scenes with him made me pretty damn uncomfortable
and the last 15 minutes were 100% unnecessary and detrimental to the experience. I did find it funny how many of the scenes during the last 15 minutes ended in a way that could've been a great spot to FINALLY end the film... And then the next scene starts.

I'm gonna find a way to watch Train To Busan tomorrow. I NEED TO. The "favorite type of zombie" thread reminding me of how much I love 28 Days Later and it getting a ton of praise means I need to see it asap.

e: damn it, couldn't find the bluray anywhere nearby and had to order it online. Train To Busan gonna have to wait until Friday at least, though more likely it'll arrive on Monday or Tuesday.

Not sure if you know, but Train to Busan may be in your region on Netflix! Unless you wanted it on Blu anyway, then it's a solid purchase!

aravuus

Not sure if you know, but Train to Busan may be in your region on Netflix! Unless you wanted it on Blu anyway, then it's a solid purchase!

Oh believe me, I checked every streaming service I could think of haha. Wasn't anywhere unfortunately, but at least I'll get to enjoy it in bluray quality.

Besides the fast zombies, Train to Busan isn't really tonally or stylistically similar. It's like the K-Pop of zombie movies.

Oh, yeah, I did figure the similarities would probably end with the zombies, but thanks for the heads up anyway!

Besides the fast zombies, Train to Busan isn’t really tonally or stylistically similar. It’s like the K-Pop of zombie movies.

Day 4: TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE

I won't bore you with the details. My wife hadn't seen it before, so now I figured was a good time to remedy the problem. It's got its pacing issues, but it's damn thrilling and really fucking funny. The transition to the pure comedy of its sequel makes so much sense considering how quickly the events devolve into humor by the introduction of the family.

Recommended. It's excellent, especially if you live in the good ole' US of A.

Wanderer5

3. Christine (1983)

Here to begin my mini theme of aiming to watch multiple films from John Carpenter this month, and I thought of starting out with him tackling a work by Stephen King, that revolves around a killer car.

This doesn't seem to get much love, which is a shame, cause this was actually pretty enjoyable, even if feel a bit of a drag at first. The titular car becomes quite a interesting character of its own as the movie goes on, and there are some really neat effects for a particular thing about it.

I think it got especially good in the middle, and I really love the scene where
Christine is chasing Buddy while being on fire, eventually running him over. The shots of it from a distance and bit by bit catching up to him are soooo good, and it feels like Christine is just toying with him at that point. Also dat music.

Elandyll

Banned
Day 3: It Follows
Very suspenseful, but not quite as spooky as I remembered it on first viewing. The concept is still very interesting, treating its supernatural threat like an incoming force of nature you can only postpone or pass along, but it shouldn't be examined too closely for fear of unravelling, and the lack of any satisfying conclusion or closure will leave many with a feeling of an idea that went nowhere.
6/10

"I just can't with this guy! I don't know whether to kill 'em or just take notes!"
Movie 3 - Cult of Chucky
cmhcJyZ.jpg

As a completely arbitrary challenge this year, I'm going to format my reviews in ≤140 and ≤280 character "tweets".

A consciously silly extension of the previous film that doesn't try too hard with it's rationale for more doll-induced murder and mayhem.

Cult of Chucky basically throws a kitchen sink of references from the franchise at the viewer while providing a moderately enjoyable film that doesn't really try hard enough to be any one thing. Bonus points for maintaining Chucky as an awkwardly animated prop instead of CG.

Liked:
- Fiona Dourif continues to be great
- The mental hospital setting
- Some of the jokes are silly enough for a laugh
- The ending was pretty neat

Did not like:
- Felt very by-the-numbers
- The stylized (read: inaccurate at best) portrayal of mental health professionals
- Chucky's horrendous haircut

3 Good Guy™ doll's out of 5
--

My wife is the actual fan of this franchise and she seemed to enjoy it.

Watched so far:

Krisha - not technically horror, but definitely has some horrific elements. Krisha Fairchild did an incredible job as the lead actress. I can see why people were so pumped for It Comes At Night - Trey Edward Shults is great at atmosphere.

It Comes At Night - I really loved this movie. I'm a big Joel Edgerton fan, but that aside, this is my favorite kind of horror movie - slow and menacing. The acting was great and the tension was palatable.

Gerald's Game - probably my favorite of the bunch. I don't do well with gore, though, so
the handcuff scene REALLY bothered me and has stuck with me.
I can't stop thinking about it, ugh. I'd read the book
so the "twist" didn't piss me off as I'm sure it will some people.
Always nice to see Carel Struycken in things, too. ALSO, got damn, Bruce Greenwood looks incredible.

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil - so much fun! This was a good palate cleanser after Gerald's Game. I loved how it played with the 'evil redneck' trope. Definitely going to rewatch this in the future.

Next up - Sleepaway Camp! Somehow, I remain unspoiled. Really looking forward to watching this one.

Top Bottom