• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 7 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

Day 4:

Cult of Chucky

I've seen maybe one or two of these movies ever. I don't know what I expected, but this was a weird fucking movie. I assume one of the previous movies explains
why Chucky has magic powers and can awaken multiple dolls now and possess people?

Either way, it was mildly entertaining, even if the ending felt very sudden and unresolved.

Hellraiser 2

I watched the first one last year. This one was even more bonkers, and I'm not sure I at all understand the lore. But it was entertainingly 80s, and I can't ever complain about that.

Day 4:

Cult of Chucky

I've seen maybe one or two of these movies ever. I don't know what I expected, but this was a weird fucking movie. I assume one of the previous movies explains
why Chucky has magic powers and can awaken multiple dolls now and possess people?

Either way, it was mildly entertaining, even if the ending felt very sudden and unresolved.

Curse of Chucky and Cult of Chucky SPOILERS(
He actually covers that in Cult with the line about finding the spell on voodoofordummies.com. It's a follow up joke to Chucky and Tiffany using a Voodoo for Dummies book in The Bride of Chucky. The previous film to Cult, Curse of Chucky, ends with Chucky transferring his soul into Nica's niece who is named Alice. Then there was an after credit scene where Chucky as a doll mails himself to Andy's house only to get blasted in the head with a shotgun as soon as he arrives (They show this scene from Chucky's perspective at the beginning of Cult). It left viewers confused since that scene takes place months after he had already transferred his soul into Alice but still shows up at Andy's as a doll. It makes sense now though with the multiple Chucky's twist.

zeemumu

4. Train to Busan

Train_to_Busan.jpg

It's been a while since I've seen any new zombie films and I'd heard a lot of good things about this one so I took a look, and I agree that it's a really well-made film. The zombies are infected horde-style which always ups the tension and they manage to put their own twist on the zombie mythos.

Day 4:

Cult of Chucky

He's adept at voodoo. He can transfer souls into other objects, swap bodies, operate voodoo dolls, etc. Haven't seen Cult yet (I'm due to rewatch a few of the older ones in a few days) but I will eventually

MattyH

Introducing a friend to #4 Red State tonight She has no idea what its about so should be interesting

3Jai0Ej.jpg

02) Hatchet for the Honeymoon (Il rosso segno della follia) (1970) (Oct 3)

My only Mario Bava for the month, Hatchet for the Honeymoon is giallo that deviates from the typical formula where the killer's identity is not a mystery and he is instead the protagonist of the movie. It's a darkly comedic and beautiful looking film with an especially great use of reflections and a crazy soundtrack. It does however falter a bit in the final act and the overall mystery behind the plot is severely lacking.

While perhaps not essential Bava, his typical energy and class overcome the film's shortcomings and make it a recommended viewing.

Rating:
yLv1TRE.png

out of 5 Bub salutes. (2.5 is considered average on this scale)

B1nH0Fo.jpg

03) The Stepfather (1987) (Oct 3)

I don't really have too much to say about this one because honestly, not a whole lot happens until the 3rd act, but O'Quinn's menacing performance really pulls the whole thing together and makes for a chilling thriller.

I do wish they had excluded the sub-plot with the brother of a previous victim. I didn't feel it amounted to much by the end. Personally, I think the time would have been better spent fleshing out with wife's character or including more detective work by the daughter.

Recommended.

Rating:
M2wzla7.png

out of 5 Bub salutes. (2.5 is considered average on this scale)

Are the sequels or remake worth checking out?

9) Possession (1981)

Okay, so Possession was amazing. Even without the horror elements, it's an utterly devastating domestic drama of a collapsed relationship shattering into unhinged madness. The drama, the emotional devastation and hair-tearing agony of a broken marriage is as brutal and raw as any horror movie, and Sam Neill and Isabelle Adjani fearlessly pour everything into their performances. It's absolutely captivating and absolutely painful to watch.

And then everything goes insane, and much like mother!, the credits roll and you're left staring at the credits trying to figure out how the film got there from where it started.

In short, it was wonderful

Try to watch this as blind as possible if you can

kevin1025

Banned
7) Friday the 13th

Why do they run away after hitting the enemy only once? Break their damn head open, you won't get attacked six more times. It's a problem I have with all movies, haha.

But otherwise, a fun classic! It takes its sweet time, and a lot of the deaths are only the camera coming in close to the actor, but it's still effective.

2. The Exorcist (1973)
Code:
[IMG]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91TDFGje1VL._RI_.jpg[/IMG]
Never saw the movie before, but knew practically everything about it from pop culture references, parodies, and clips.

The beginning is very slow and dull. Takes a long time for the plot to really get going.

The makeup and effects are very good and still hold up. But the cinematography is noticeably an older style. Not that it's bad, but definitely a product of it's time. One thing that always get me with older movies is the sound quality. Unfortunately that was just a limitation back then with the equipment they had available. For most movies that's totally fine and helps give the film a quaint old-timey feel. But for horror movies sound is especially important, so I think it detracts from the film.

I did not find the movie scary in the slightest, though. I remember hearing about audiences when the movie was in theaters totally freaking out and going nuts whenever the scary face flashed on screen, but I just found a lot of it comical. I laughed so hard when
the creepy face appeared on the stove
. And I guess nowadays it's not exactly shocking at all to hear a little girl cursing. I can see worse girls on daytime television.

In all, it was an alright movie. But didn't provide any scares I was looking for. But could just be a case of:
E-sodfRwNgF2cU-GVIs21mYF270=.gif

1jFOxvsHx87_A_90EPJkWvcf8ys=.gif

_QfFusP02DZUXyncOCIung4xj3A=.gif

zJFvxJc2SEVXnmvYWwT28-NH0vY=.gif

PS. That stairway is a total hazard. The real horror is the city planner who designed it.

2. The Exorcist (1973)
Code:
[IMG]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91TDFGje1VL._RI_.jpg[/IMG]
Never saw the movie before, but knew practically everything about it from pop culture references, parodies, and clips.

The beginning is very slow and dull. Takes a long time for the plot to really get going.

The makeup and effects are very good and still hold up. But the cinematography is noticeably an older style. Not that it's bad, but definitely a product of it's time. One thing that always get me with older movies is the sound quality. Unfortunately that was just a limitation back then with the equipment they had available. For most movies that's totally fine and helps give the film a quaint old-timey feel. But for horror movies sound is especially important, so I think it detracts from the film.

I did not find the movie scary in the slightest, though. I remember hearing about audiences when the movie was in theaters totally freaking out and going nuts whenever the scary face flashed on screen, but I just found a lot of it comical. I laughed so hard when
the creepy face appeared on the stove
. And I guess nowadays it's not exactly shocking at all to hear a little girl cursing. I can see worse girls on daytime television.

In all, it was an alright movie. But didn't provide any scares I was looking for. But could just be a case of
Do you feel that a horror movie has to scare you, the viewer, to be a scary film?

Steamlord

I'd say Five Dolls for an August Moon is the only major Bava horror film that's safely skippable. All the others have at least something going for them.

Also, I maintain that Part 7 is the second best film in the Friday the 13th series.

Gameboy415

1. Fright Night (1985) - DVD

2.The Dead Hate The Living - DVD
220px-DeadhatethelivingDVDscan.jpg

-The film was a fun twist on the zombie genre but some of the special effects near the end were so incredibly bad that I couldn't help but burst out laughing. Definitely 'unique' as stated on the box art and certainly worth the $2 I paid for it at Goodwill! haha

3. Darkness - DVD
darkness.jpg

-I wanted to see this way back when it originally came out in theaters (2002) but never got around to watching it until now - I really liked it! The story was intriguing, the effects were mostly well-done, and I really enjoyed the ending.

No. It's the worst kind of sequel: one that lazily rehashes the same plot through the most contrived of means, and with a way worse antagonist. The remake, on the other hand, is a lot of fun, and smart enough to not follow the original to the letter.

Thanks for the info! I may still watch it someday out of curiosity but only if it shows up on Netflix or something.
Agreed about the Fright Night remake though - I watched it last year and really enjoyed it! :D

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Just watched Lights Out and The Void

The Void tried hard too be like Hellraiser and Event Horizon but it's too campy to take seriously. Some scary images here and there but overall it was kinda pretty meh.

I actually enjoyed Lights Out, despite the fact that I'm not a huge jump scare fan. The scares are really well done and somehow they managed to keep them entertaining through out the movie.

I recommend it!

I just watched Don't Breathe. Good movie with a bit of originality for a change. Okay not much originality but it was very well done and the Avatar guy played the home owner really well.

October 04
Film #5
We Go On

The story of Miles Grissom, a man so petrified by the possibility of death that he offers a large cash reward for proof of a life beyond our demise, We Go On had some good moments, but in the end it didn't really work for me. The plot and concept were quite interesting though, and I don't think it's a spoiler to say that yes, Miles does get the proof he's after. And then
he immediately regrets it, as he is plagued by visions of ghosts everywhere, and ends up being permanently tethered to one specific phantom, who won't move on until a particular set of conditions are met.

The film takes far too long to get to this point however, and subsequently the second half feels rushed, making Miles' character development feel disjointed and unconvincing. And for a film centred around ghosts and the afterlife, it's not nearly scary enough. To be honest, apart form a couple of half-hearted jump scares, it's not frightening at all.

Along with the lack of scares, one of the other big problems is the casting of Clark Freeman as the lead. He was good at everything except being convincingly scared. As he spends huge quantities of the movie terrified this was a bit of a drawback. And whilst Annette O'Toole was excellent as his mother, the rest of the cast were considerably less able.

Verdict: Only worth watching if you've really got nothing better to do.

Tomorrow's viewing: Wer, because it's a full moon

Films I've watched so far

MV5BYTlmOTRkNTctMjllOS00ODQzLWI2Y2MtN2M3ZjgzMDMzZDA3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTcwMzkyNDE@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Hell House LLC

I honestly haven't watched a found footage movie in awhile and I ended up randomly coming across this on Amazon Prime because yall suck and didn't recommend me more movies to put on my list.

It surprised the fuck out of me. It took a tad bit to really get interesting, but damn was this a really tense fucking movie once everything started going. It didn't really have many jump scares either, moreso creepy parts that just stood out to you. The ending was honestly kinda whatever. I hate how every found footage movie seems to have the same kind of ending. Does that not bother anyone??

Honestly don't have much to say about it because I watched it a few days ago but I definitely recommend it

3.5/5

MV5BMjA5NzQ1NTgwNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjUxMzUzMw@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

The Descent

A classic there's really not much I have to say about this movie besides that I recommend this fully before any type of danger even happens you will be watching a movie that will make you feel claustrophobic as hell.

5/5

In_Fear.jpg

In Fear

One of my biggest fears is getting lost in the middle of the woods and feeling like every road is one I've been on before. This movie captures that feeling so well and it even has that one guy from Agents of Shield in it! I really enjoyed the relationship between to the two characters and how they were really still in the "honeymoon" phase of being high off each other and knowing more about how each other acts while seeing how much they are able to stand each other after such anxiety over the situation. No jump scares from what I recall but very creepy moments.

3/5

MV5BOTI2MjY3MDkzOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODQ4NTQ0MDI@._V1_UY268_CR3,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

The Monster

The Strangers is absolutely one of my favorite horror movies ever and I cannot believe I didn't know about this movie the same director made SMH. Actually the way this movie was edited reminded me A LOT of The Strangers as well with the way it does flashbacks although this movie does it way much more and that isn't a complaint at all. I really enjoyed how til the very end this movie did flashbacks showing you the relationship the mother and daughter had with each other. Honestly those parts hit me harder than the present maybe because I can relate to it. Sadly there are some scenes where the Monster didn't look all that great visually, but that still didn't ruin the tension from the movie. If the acting between the two leads wasn't so good this movie definitely would have been okay at best.

3.5/5

Next up: The Wailing I've tried watching this at least 3 times gonna force myself through the first 20-30 mins tonight we'll see how that goes

Next up: The Wailing I've tried watching this at least 3 times gonna force myself through the first 20-30 mins tonight we'll see how that goes

The Wailing kind of gets into it from the jump; if the first 20-30 minutes of that film aren't doing it for you, the rest of it definitely isn't.

The Wailing kind of gets into it from the jump; if the first 20-30 minutes of that film aren't doing it for you, the rest of it definitely isn't.

Maybe. It's just the tone that throws me off honestly. Like everyone is seemingly so dumb in the beginning I take the film as a comedy? IDK I'm definitely going to give it a chance all the way through this time though. I love quite a few Korean films

gamz

MV5BYTlmOTRkNTctMjllOS00ODQzLWI2Y2MtN2M3ZjgzMDMzZDA3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTcwMzkyNDE@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Hell House LLC

I honestly haven't watched a found footage movie in awhile and I ended up randomly coming across this on Amazon Prime because yall suck and didn't recommend me more movies to put on my list.

It surprised the fuck out of me. It took a tad bit to really get interesting, but damn was this a really tense fucking movie once everything started going. It didn't really have many jump scares either, moreso creepy parts that just stood out to you. The ending was honestly kinda whatever. I hate how every found footage movie seems to have the same kind of ending. Does that not bother anyone??

Honestly don't have much to say about it because I watched it a few days ago but I definitely recommend it

3.5/5

MV5BMjA5NzQ1NTgwNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjUxMzUzMw@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

The Descent

A classic there's really not much I have to say about this movie besides that I recommend this fully before any type of danger even happens you will be watching a movie that will make you feel claustrophobic as hell.

5/5

In_Fear.jpg

In Fear

One of my biggest fears is getting lost in the middle of the woods and feeling like every road is one I've been on before. This movie captures that feeling so well and it even has that one guy from Agents of Shield in it! I really enjoyed the relationship between to the two characters and how they were really still in the "honeymoon" phase of being high off each other and knowing more about how each other acts while seeing how much they are able to stand each other after such anxiety over the situation. No jump scares from what I recall but very creepy moments.

3/5

MV5BOTI2MjY3MDkzOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODQ4NTQ0MDI@._V1_UY268_CR3,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

The Monster

The Strangers is absolutely one of my favorite horror movies ever and I cannot believe I didn't know about this movie the same director made SMH. Actually the way this movie was edited reminded me A LOT of The Strangers as well with the way it does flashbacks although this movie does it way much more and that isn't a complaint at all. I really enjoyed how til the very end this movie did flashbacks showing you the relationship the mother and daughter had with each other. Honestly those parts hit me harder than the present maybe because I can relate to it. Sadly there are some scenes where the Monster didn't look all that great visually, but that still didn't ruin the tension from the movie. If the acting between the two leads wasn't so good this movie definitely would have been okay at best.

3.5/5

I couldn't agree with you more on House LLC and Monster. Both are gems.

Maybe. It's just the tone that throws me off honestly. Like everyone is seemingly so dumb in the beginning I take the film as a comedy? IDK I'm definitely going to give it a chance all the way through this time though. I love quite a few Korean films

Ah, that makes more sense. Without spoiling much that's kind of the protagonist's MO but eventually it starts "working" within the film. I remember having similar thoughts at the beginning.

kevin1025

Banned
8) Friday the 13th Part 2

This one was stronger than the first movie, for me at least. The kills were more inventive, the end chase was more interesting, and some of the characters were actually likeable rather than wanting sex as their only trait. They did my lady
Vickie
wrong, though, I was really pulling for her, she was the coolest of the bunch. And Muffin, he was MVP for the four or five shots he showed up in.

Ithil

Day 4 is down.

7) The Invisible Man (1933)

mDnl8Vs.png

Just sit where you are; I'll get out and take the handbrake off and give you a little shove to help you on. You'll run gently down and through the railings, then you'll have a big thrill for a hundred yards or so 'til you hit a boulder, then you'll do a somersault and probably break your arms, then a grand finish-up with a broken neck!

While previous films really hinged around their villains, here's the first time seeing the protagonist of the film outright being its villain too. And what a villain he is.
Claude Rains was terrifically hammy as the maniacal invisible man, who is simply a colossal asshole to everyone in the film. He veers from entertainingly petty and even childish to out and out deranged and sadistic, sometimes in the same scene. Now they have a slight out for how depraved he is as the film says his invisibility formula has warped his morality, but he is a true joy to watch as he spreads chaos throughout the film.

The special effects for his invisibility used some simple yet very effective techniques, and aside from the occasional string, actually still hold up as convincing even now. A lot of films and especially TV shows like to do invisibility (sci-fi shows love the "character is invisible for an episode" trope), but creators are often content to do a floating cup and call it a day. For this film I felt they really tried to consider all the angles and possibilities that an invisible villain would require. A lot of detail and logic by both the man himself and the other characters trying to catch him. I commend the writers for that one.

I've not read the HG Wells novel this is based on, but I believe I can safety guess this took many liberties as Dracula and Frankenstein did. In any case, my issues with The Mummy were totally absent as this was a completely different film from those previous horrors, and really was thoroughly enjoyable.
If you're ever doing a Universal horror trawl, include this one for sure.

8) The Black Cat (1934)

blackcat-1934.jpg

If I wanted to build a nice, cozy, unpretentious insane asylum, he'd be the man for it.

I like that the opening credits now read "Suggested by Edgar Allen Poe's immortal classic". They aren't even pretending these are accurate adaptations, and indeed, this has absolutely nothing to do with the short story. I also love that he is simply billed as "KARLOFF", he doesn't even need a first name. A long way from being billed as "?" in Frankenstein only three years prior.

For this film, it's Lugosi vs Karloff in quite a dark and serious little thriller, with not much of the camp that the other Universal horrors might indulge in. For a nice change, Lugosi actually plays, I can't say a hero, but overall a relatively good guy. Karloff by contrast gets to play an absolute scumbag of the highest order. Naturally the hook of the film is any scene where the two get to face off with some intense dialogue, delaying the inevitable physical showdown.
A very interesting looking setting for the film, with a house design that was probably very modern or perhaps avant-garde at the time, and curiously has a bit of a 60s vibe, in spite of being thirty years prior (think perhaps Dr. No).

On two little trivia bits, Lugosi gets to speak his native Hungarian briefly in this, and its neat to hear him speak so quickly and smoothly. The second is that this is "suggested" as they said by the Poe story, but a pivotal plot point revolves around Lugosi and Karloff playing chess, which was funny just because Poe sort of disparaged the game of chess in Murders in the Rue Morgue.

If I had one criticism, however, it's that the musical score was quite overbearing. Far from the almost silent Dracula, this is the first one I've seen to have a continuous score playing for the entire film, and there are times when silence would probably have worked better for scenes.

In any case, I liked this one quite a bit, primarily for the face-off of the two icons.

zeemumu

I feel like this was the first one with all the Jason cliches but I just watched it for the first time yesterday

I think the 6th one is when things start getting crazy. That's when Jason gains the superhuman strength and starts pulling off more ridiculous stuff

kinggroin

Banned
9) Possession (1981)

Okay, so Possession was amazing. Even without the horror elements, it’s an utterly devastating domestic drama of a collapsed relationship shattering into unhinged madness. The drama, the emotional devastation and hair-tearing agony of a broken marriage is as brutal and raw as any horror movie, and Sam Neill and Isabelle Adjani fearlessly pour everything into their performances. It’s absolutely captivating and absolutely painful to watch.

And then everything goes insane, and much like mother!, the credits roll and you're left staring at the credits trying to figure out how the film got there from where it started.

In short, it was wonderful

Try to watch this as blind as possible if you can

That subway scene breh. Lordy.

Bouncing back from sequel to sequel with...

4. Dracula’s Daughter (Lambert Hillyer, 1936)

Dracula%27s_Daughter_-_Poster_1936.jpg

While this direct sequel to Universal’s 1931 Dracula may pick up immediately from the end of its predecessor, it immediately distinguished itself as a tonally separate work with the bumbling comedy of two inept police men. In addition to a more comedic bent, Dracula’s Daughter ditches the austere, stage-like presentation of Dracula — and the silent gothic dread— and presents something more conventionally cinematic, and more conventionally dull.

Most of its performances are better, and there’s a definite effort to give some psychological depth and sympathy to Gloria Holden’s titular vampire, it just plays things too light and hokey, and without the aid of striking imagery. And as solid as Holden is in her role, she’s still no Bela, as she lacks the dreadful and exotic magnetism he brought to the role.

10) The Beyond (1981)

I just don't think Fulci's, or giallo, films are for me. Suspiria has been my favorite so far, but Zombi, City of the Living Dead, and now The Beyond just haven't clicked me with me at all. And I should love Zombi. But back to The Beyond: some wonderfully gross imagery (I feel sorry for any unexpecting arachnophobes who watch this) as usual for a Fulci film, but everything was just turgid.

If there's one thing Fulci does better than anyone else, even modern movies and shows, it's that his undead looks absolutely wonderfully disgusting. Nothing else does zombies as horrifically gross. Rotting bodies walking again, rather than monstrous zombie flesh eaters

My next film is Demons, so we'll see if that clicks.

Fox Mulder

#1 The Keep (1983)

Cool concept and certainly had pieces to be much better. Michael Mann, Nazis/occult, and
a great moody Tangerine Dream score that can only be heard on laserdisc rips now due to rights issues.

It's not good or anything and is barely coherent as it's severely cut and even unfinished, but I'd love a director's cut on bluray or DVD at least.

kevin1025

Banned
10) The Beyond (1981)

I just don't think Fulci's, or giallo, films are for me. Suspiria has been my favorite so far, but Zombi, City of the Living Dead, and now The Beyond just haven't clicked me with me at all. And I should love Zombi. But back to The Beyond: some wonderfully gross imagery (I feel sorry for any unexpecting arachnophobes who watch this) as usual for a Fulci film, but everything was just turgid.

If there's one thing Fulci does better than anyone else, even modern movies and shows, it's that his undead looks absolutely wonderfully disgusting. Nothing else does zombies as horrifically gross. Rotting bodies walking again, rather than monstrous zombie flesh eaters

My next film is Demons, so we'll see if that clicks.

Oh. Oh, no. I've made a horrible mistake.

It's late in my list for the month, haha, now I'm worried.

9) Halloween II

Both this movie and Friday the 13th Part 2 came out in 1981. Both feature cat jump scares. I watched them back to back and it got me both times. I'm so mad.

While this one is certainly lesser than the original, I absolutely love that it picks up immediately after the first. That feeling is there still, which I appreciated, even if the plot is much slower and simpler, and the characters in the hospital aren't entirely exciting. But it is neat to set a slasher in a hospital, that was a good move. The big plot connection reveal is fine, it doesn't bother me. But the main issue with the film is its passiveness, where no one outside of Jamie Lee Curtis and Donald Pleasence feel like they're putting much effort in. But it's solidly directed and still has good moments. Plus that main title sequence is awesome.

Day 4: The Amityville Horror (2005) it was an okay movie. Pretty standard haunted house film, nothing really stood out to me to much. I haven't seen the 70s film is it better? I didn't think it was particularly scary or interesting but it seemed also pretty inoffensive too just kind of run of the mill.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Day 4

Friday the 13th chapter 5!

This was easily the worst one yet (I’ve done 4 of these sequels in 4 days) and I know they mixed things up a little but the characters were all SO annoying in the worst ways. Like in the previous ones I would kinda want them to get murdered but this time I was just bored with everyone and couldn’t even cheer at their deaths. This whole mental hospital storyline just didn’t do it at all for me. So far I’d rank them 2, 1, 4, 3, 5 from best to worst

FiggyCal

Banned
I haven't been able to watch a film a day, like I wanted to. But so far, I've seen:

1. Shutter

Solid movie. A lot more emotional than I was expecting, but I really appreciated the story it was trying to tell. It had some really fun and tense moments.

3/5

2. Cult of Chucky

I really liked this one too. It's very funny and campy and I really liked all the characters - which is a problem I have with a lot of modern horror movies, especially the slasher flicks. The whole series is kind of goofy, but this is pretty tame compared to the one where he gets married and they have a baby (or something like that). I'd be lying if I said that there weren't some scenes that had me shaking my head in absolute disbelief though...

4/5

Day 4:

Cult of Chucky

It was a major plot point from the very first movie. The whole series has this really weird and super interesting voodoo element to it.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!

Suspiria is the only one of those movies that's a giallo, and even that is more experimental than the genre normally is. I'd suggest checking out Blood and Black Lace, Bird with the Crystal Plumage, and Deep Red for a better representation.

I love Demons, but I'd say its pretty similar in style to Fulci's stuff, so I'm not sure if you'll agree.

Blader

Suspiria isn't really a giallo. I'm not sure what you'd call it, but when I think of giallo, I think Italian slasher, and Suspiria doesn't have that kind of slasher element to it.

Steamlord

I consider Tenebre to be the best giallo, but it works best if you already have at least a passing familiarity with the genre.

And yeah, Suspiria has too much supernatural stuff going on for it to really be a giallo.

I consider Tenebre to be the best giallo, but it works best if you already have at least a passing familiarity with the genre.

And yeah, Suspiria has too much supernatural stuff going on for it to really be a giallo.

I can agree with this. Suspiria is more like a fairy-tale than a giallo film. It's still great, but it really hangs hard on the supernatural elements.

Steamlord

Generally, yeah. Some gialli might have light supernatural elements but they're not the main focus. Gialli are basically violent murder mysteries.

Normally I don’t post as I’m watching but tonight’s pick is Possession (‘81), I’ve never seen it before, I’m about twenty minutes in and I’m super puzzled - what’s with the ridiculous over acting? Is there a point to this or is it just cheeseball?

gabbo

#6 Jaws
JAWS_Movie_poster.jpg

If anything, the humour stood out to me more this time around. Robert Shaw basically drunkenly slurring every word out of his damn mouth. Honestly, I couldn't understand half of what he was saying when he spoke, but that added to his character really. Completely unhinged and unpredictable. The overwhelmed deputy also a nice bit of comic relief early on. Still a great film, and I can say I probably wouldn't want to go swimming after watching it right away, but not really frightening anymore otherwise. Girlfriend was getting legit scares from it in spots, even though she's seen several times before. Only Ben Gardiner ever gets me, and I expect to jump every time. That's just a really good jump scare dammit. Girlfriend's choices are burning up the front half, and so far have been pretty good. Can't go wrong with classics like this.

Normally I don't post as I'm watching but tonight's pick is Possession (‘81), I've never seen it before, I'm about twenty minutes in and I'm super puzzled - what's with the ridiculous over acting? Is there a point to this or is it just cheeseball?
I thought it was great, and not cheesy at all (at least not for the leads). Felt like the kind of devastated, explosive, frustrated, and angry emotional outbursts that would happen in real life as a relationship collapses in on itself like that.

Top Bottom