• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 7 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

I just did Train to Busan, and now on to Chucky.

You guys are really testing my ability to watch random, bad horror films. The above two were great and are great so far.

Wolf House

A really great found footage werewolf film that tries way too hard with the act 2.5 twist and ends up shit.

large_z3EBP9HJbVKAKrf1kAZx6yIYme9.jpg

The Wailing

Ok, I'll admit it I've come around to the movie and frankly I don't quite get why I was tough off on it looking back. Generally every Korean movie I love the cops for the most part seem very incapable of doing a decent job of being cops and they come across like comedic reliefs but this one just couldn't click with me. Tonight it did and honestly it really took me a minute, but the one scene that did it for me and struck me hard was when the
daughter first started talking back to her dad, insulting him, and looking at him with put hate.
. Scenes like that in other movies typically are done through a voice editing to make it sound more demonic, so I really appreciated how.......normal yet surreal at the same time that part felt and from then on I was hooked. I really wasn't expecting such a dramatic movie and I believe I understood it well for the most part in terms of woman in white, Japanese man, and the shaman. Definitely can see myself watching it in the near future to try to catch things I didn't see before.

4.5/5

Hex

Banned
My list:
(I just did a Friday the 13th marathon and Argento which is why those are not represented)

• Sleepy Hollow
  • Salem's Lot
  • Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
  • City of the Living Dead
  • The Beyond
  • The House by the Cemetary
  • Bram Stoker's Dracula
  • Child's Play
  • Child's Play 2
  • Child's Play 3
  • Curse of Chucky
  • Cult of Chucky X Seriously, really good. I love that they are not afraid to try different roads. Fiona Douriff is fantastic. Unrated on Netflix, buy the Blu it is cheap. Or you can get the new box set with every movie for under $50
  • Hatchet
  • Hatchet 2
  • Hatchet 3
  • Demons X Nearly forgot how fun these two movies were. The hair band soundtrack to the clothes, everything about it is dated but it still amazing
  • Demons 2 X
  • Evil Dead 2
  • The Legend of Hell House
  • Nosferatu (1922)
  • The Witch
  • The Haunted Palace
  • The Howling
  • Nightmare on Elm Street
  • Hellraiser
  • Castlefreak
  • The Fog
  • In the Mouth of Madness
  • Lost Boys
  • Trick R Treat
  • Halloween Marathon

I also always watch Disney's Adventures of Ichabod and Disney's Halloween Treat from way back.
I also always watch a version of Sleepy Hollow from 1980 that has Jeff Goldblum as Ichabod.

Going off list a bit too.

Watched :

Creepshow : Parts hold up well, other parts not so much. Still very enjoyable. Fucking roaches.

Son of Dracula : Lon Chaney's southern drawl is very awkward coming from Dracula, nor does he have remotely the charisma of Lugosi. Still an enjoyable movie.

Devil's Candy : Gave it another try due to feedback from here. Not bad, just could have been so much more. Alot of plot that goes nowhere. Maybe if there is a sequel?

Satanic
:Group going to concert takes side trips to visit occult sites, goes bad. Could have been ok but the acting is dialogue is god awful. Small appearance by Victor Zzazz from Gotham was fun.

Dead in Tombstone (not really horror though) : Danny Trejo making a deal with Mickey Rourke as the devil to come back to life to get justice when betrayed and murdered by his gang. Also stars the girl from Starship Troopers.

Gameboy415

1. Fright Night (1985) - DVD
2.The Dead Hate The Living - DVD
3. Darkness - DVD

4. Arachnid - DVD
51AREPSMKFL.jpg

-I grabbed this on a whim for $2 based on the box art/synopsis. The beginning of the movie was really interesting but the story ended up being somewhat predictable and mediocre by the end. The creature effects were well-done though!

I thought it was great, and not cheesy at all (at least not for the leads). Felt like the kind of devastated, explosive, frustrated, and angry emotional outbursts that would happen in real life as a relationship collapses in on itself like that.
Well for one, I just cannot get past
Heinrich. Why the hell is he always stumbling around? Why is Sam Neil always slurring his speech, screaming or rubbing other characters in uncomfortable ways?

Toa TAK

Banned
Sliding in at the end of the 4th day:

4. Sinister

Not bad. Really liked the premise and the idea of Hawke trying to investigate with some old timey super 8 reels only to be caught in something more... sinister. I like the pace of the film, it went by pretty quickly for something that could’ve easily been a drag. Scares are pretty scaled back and handled with restraint, I thought. There’s one well done where you can see it coming a mile away (just from reading the label on the reel), but it still wins out with the sound.

Only issues from this come from the typical problem I have with these kind of movies where the villain’s design itself looks really hokey and the more that’s revealed about how it works is generally pretty silly despite the tone. I think Sinister’s climax handled it well enough, I just don’t think Bagool itself was why this movie had tension. The camera, filming of murders, the grainy footage, sounds, all of that was fantastic and settled me into the state of mind of Ellison.

Cool movie.

Day 4

Possession (1981)
Well... that sure was something. It’s also come to my attention that my reviews have been ridiculously lengthy so to spare everyone the time, I’ll be doing my best to keep things brief.

Possession is another film that I’ve been dying to see for years yet managed to miss out on, much like tomorrow’s flick “[REC].” Often heralded as a profound, emotional experience with an infamous subway scene that’s become legend in the horror community, to say I was excited to finally watch it would be a massive understatement.

Unfortunately though... I hated this. From top to bottom, Possession feels sloppy, schlocky and incoherent at times. Sam Neill and Heinz Bennett compete to see who can deliver the most absurd performance in a film that masquerades as a shock-horror/drama about a failing relationship and to be perfectly honest, they would have both earned the Razzie if it were up to me. I had expected Isabelle Adjani to be the diamond in the rough as the
miscarriage
sequence manages to throughly shock and repulse, though beyond that iconic scene, she delivers a similarly ridiculous performance that misinterprets screaming and arm waiving as emotional intensity.

I’m not entirely sure what exactly I had expected from Possession but the film comes across as a whacky, cheeseball excercise in pretention. I know the film has its fans and perhaps they see/understand something that I don’t but there is not a single level in which this works for me. Absurd, loud, incoherent and pretentious, Possession scrapes up a few points solely owed to one particularly effective sequence.

4/10

Hamoody

Day 4: Alien (1979)

Alien_movie_poster.jpg

Ridley Scott's cinematic masterpiece. The story follows a space crew returning back to Earth on the Nostromo . While in deep space, they are awakened to investigate a distress call on a vessel. That is until terror came to them. in space, no one can hear you scream.

Definitely recommend this, it is indeed a cinematic masterpiece with wonderful cinematography and lighting. The suspense, and atmosphere is chilling and keeps you permanently engaged and on your seat. The performances were great, and the Alien design was marvelous. There are some memorable scenes that will get you spooked
especially the famous chestburster scene
. All in all, I recommend this Sci-Fi masterpiece.

Electric Lady

Neo Member
I'm a bit behind, so these are the ones I've watched starting on Oct 1st. Working 12 hour overnight shifts creates lots of movie watching time, as it turns out!

They Look Like People
This one was kind of a surprise. I found it to be genuinely creepy, as I live with a guy with paranoia, and have had some scary moments with him. Spoilering in case:
The ending
was so touching. I totally believed their friendship, and was really moved by them overcoming their demons together. I don't think I could ever trust someone that much, especially when they've shown themselves to be so out of touch with reality.

Train to Busan
Awesome. The action sequences were incredibly fun, the pacing and soundtrack were both great. I had some issues with narrative choices,
the train staff being so paranoid about them being infected when it's been shown that infection spreads in like seconds for example.
and didn't find the characters were very fleshed out, but I was surprised how little I cared. Usually character is king for me in movies,
but this had just enough to care, not enough to distract. Except for
the scene where the father dies, which was pretty cheesy
I thought the movie was a tight thrill ride, and man did I loathe
the train staff, what a selfish, cowardly piece of shit.

Gerald's Game
Good movie, outside of the ending
monologue and court room scene. I liked the concept of the moonlight man being real, but felt the execution was definitely lacking
Stressful, well paced, and man did I love the visual design. The only horror movie I've watched in awhile where I felt uncomfortable going to bed after.

Honourable mentions (ie. movies I watched and liked in late Sep):
The Wailing
What We Do In The Shadows (incredibly funny)
Pet Sematary
The Host (rewatched. Still great.)

GhaleonEB

I got really sick last week and haven't been able to watch any, and am now so backlogged with work and projects at home that I won't have much time. Alas.

I'll still squeeze in a few over the next few weeks, but a marathon it will not be. I'm enjoying reading all these impressions.

Wanderer5

Think I will try out shudder channel free for one week on amazon. Got 4-5 films picked out that I will probably watch, including Sadako vs. Kayako, which I sure it be fun for characters to deal with BOTH!

aravuus

Quickly running out of films to watch on Netflix. Seems like 99% of the horror they've got there is just straight up trash. Not funny trash or so bad it's good trash or otherwise enjoyable trash, just... Trash. Guess I'll watch Sinister 2 today. The first one was pretty fun. And Tremors tomorrow.

After that, I have no idea what to watch. Jaws 2?

I got really sick last week and haven't been able to watch any, and am now so backlogged with work and projects at home that I won't have much time. Alas.

I'll still squeeze in a few over the next few weeks, but a marathon it will not be. I'm enjoying reading all these impressions.

You were so sick you couldn't even muster the energy to watch something? Damn. I can't remember the last time I've been that sick, and I seem to have a flu or a cold of some sort around the year, 24/7.

Day 4: Just Inferno (1980) today. Movie did little to convince me that Argento's stuff isn't better as a gifset than a feature-length film. But then you'd lose the soundtracks. Hmm.

Day 1. - Little Evil - 1.5/5
Day 2. - The Pretty Thing that Lives in the House - 2.5/5
Day 3. - Gerald's Game - 3/5
Day 4. - The Invitation

The Invitation is a horror-thriller film directed by Karyn Kusama(Jennifer's Body, XX) staring Logan Marshall-Green(Prometheus, Spider-Man: Homecoming)

Will and his girlfriend are invited to a party at his ex's house out of the blue after two years of dropping all contact...and things aren't normal.

I didn't know what to expect in this film. Went in completely blind, thought it might be about
vampires
or something, but I like how it played out. Lots of paranoia and tense moments. Even thought I feel like I've seen this type of movie before and I could tell where it was going by the end, I enjoyed it. Some very uncomfortable moments that kept me glued to the screen for stretches at a time. Never been a fan of Karyn Kusama work, but this is her best yet. Recommended if you haven't seen it. You can catch this one on Netflix.

3.5/5

Divius

Good to see this thread is on fire! Will be reading everything during work downtimes today.

I've returned from my trip and will start playing catch-up tonight, shouldn't be long until I'm up to speed and synced with the rest of you ghosts and ghouls.

sadromeo

October 4, 2017:

TalesOfHalloween_zpsw9kwksye.jpg

4 of 31 - Tales of Halloween

A movie showcasing ten Halloween short "tales". Each tale has a different director. Although each tale is different, they are linked together as they happen in the same town and as you progress through each tale, you start to see the links between each one. These are lighter "tales" and this movie could have easily been shown on cable on something like the Syfy channel. This is nothing compared to the likes of V/H/S or the ABC's of death. It is mostly lighthearted Halloween tales with some over-the-top gore thrown in. There were also several cameo's by some b list actors. I was personally hoping for something more serious and terrifying but unfortunately this movie did not provide that at all. This was my first time watching this film and in the spirit of Halloween, it was more trick than treat. -4/10

2. The Exorcist (1973)
Code:
[IMG]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91TDFGje1VL._RI_.jpg[/IMG]
Never saw the movie before, but knew practically everything about it from pop culture references, parodies, and clips.

The beginning is very slow and dull. Takes a long time for the plot to really get going.

The makeup and effects are very good and still hold up. But the cinematography is noticeably an older style. Not that it's bad, but definitely a product of it's time. One thing that always get me with older movies is the sound quality. Unfortunately that was just a limitation back then with the equipment they had available. For most movies that's totally fine and helps give the film a quaint old-timey feel. But for horror movies sound is especially important, so I think it detracts from the film.

I did not find the movie scary in the slightest, though. I remember hearing about audiences when the movie was in theaters totally freaking out and going nuts whenever the scary face flashed on screen, but I just found a lot of it comical. I laughed so hard when
the creepy face appeared on the stove
. And I guess nowadays it's not exactly shocking at all to hear a little girl cursing. I can see worse girls on daytime television.

In all, it was an alright movie. But didn't provide any scares I was looking for. But could just be a case of:
E-sodfRwNgF2cU-GVIs21mYF270=.gif

1jFOxvsHx87_A_90EPJkWvcf8ys=.gif

_QfFusP02DZUXyncOCIung4xj3A=.gif

zJFvxJc2SEVXnmvYWwT28-NH0vY=.gif

PS. That stairway is a total hazard. The real horror is the city planner who designed it.

The stupid face flashing shit was added in the directors cut. That's one part where I agree with you, it's laughable.

sp3ctr3

Quickly running out of films to watch on Netflix. Seems like 99% of the horror they've got there is just straight up trash. Not funny trash or so bad it's good trash or otherwise enjoyable trash, just... Trash. Guess I'll watch Sinister 2 today. The first one was pretty fun. And Tremors tomorrow.

After that, I have no idea what to watch. Jaws 2?

Just saw an interesting trailer for a new movie releasing on Netflix on Friday the 13th called The Babysitter.

Didn't watch any scary movies yesterday. Might catch on tonight though. Thinking about watching It Follows.

J-Roderton

5. Legend of Hell House - It didn't rely much on visuals, but nice setting and characters. Not a bad haunted house movie.

Cptkrush

The stupid face flashing shit was added in the directors cut. That's one part where I agree with you, it's laughable.

TIL I've only seen the director's cut. Apparently the designers for the haunted house at Universal last year have as well. I too hate the flashing face, and thought it ruined all of the tension the movie was able to build. Glad to hear there's a better version to watch.

So what classifies as giallo then? It has to be more serial killer/slasher-focused?

Generally, yeah. Some gialli might have light supernatural elements but they're not the main focus. Gialli are basically violent murder mysteries.

Ah, I thought it was a more overall term for Italian horror, a la "spaghetti western"

I think Steamlord sums it up the best.

Giallo is actually a pretty broad term, but oddly specific at the same time. The word (Italian for "yellow") comes from a series of mystery novels that were printed with yellow covers. Because of this, in Italy imported thriller and mystery movies are also referred to as gialli (plural spelling for giallo). So to them, something like Psycho is a giallo.

For outside Italy viewers like ourselves, it's mostly used for Italian mystery movies. It wasn't the first giallo, but Mario Bava's Blood and Black Lace is basically the template for the sub-genre.

What makes it confusing for our purposes is, because it's really just a term for mystery movies they can either swing in the horror direction or more into normal thriller. For example, Fulci's A Lizard in a Woman's Skin is a giallo, but not a horror movie at all. It's just a thriller. This is what makes selecting gialli for the marathon so difficult. There's so many I want to watch but have been skipping because I believe them to be more thriller than horror, and it's hard to research without spoiling them for yourself too much.

They don't always have the secret identity of the killer be he mystery, for example both Hatchet for the Honeymoon and The Night Evelyn Came Out of the Grave use the killers as the protagonists and have completely different mystery elements. Neither would be considered a slasher either, so that doesn't necessarily make a giallo.

Some films also lean more towards the poliziotteschi sub-genre, which is the name used for Italian police/crime thrillers that were popular in the 70s (think Dirty Harry). Films like What Have You Done to Solange? are an example of this, and I'd say that's also more of a thriller than a horror movie.

And then you have stuff like StageFright (aka Deliria) which is often referred to as a giallo, however that's just a straight up slasher.

As for Suspiria... well, some people do consider it a giallo. I personally don't because of the focus on the supernatural and its lack of interest in developing the mystery.

If you want to see a true example of a giallo, my vote would be starting with Blood and Black Lace to see it in its purest form, and then Tenebre which I believe to be the best giallo out of what I've seen.

zeemumu

5. Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives

220px-Friday_the_13th_Part_VI_-_Jason_Lives_%281986%29_theatrical_poster.jpg

This is the one where all the craziness begins, with Jason coming back as the unstoppable zombie that we all know him as. Having come off of this straight from Friday the 13th, Part 4, it's easy to spot the differences in the way that they portray Jason this time around. He's no longer cautious of dangerous items, tanking bullets and blunt force, and is also completely silent and far more rigid. Tommy's cool as the resident series protagonist (like Nancy is to Freddy and Laurie is to Michael Myers) but unlike those two, I don't really feel like Tommy's prior experience would actually equip him for dealing with Jason. There aren't any key psychological weaknesses that he can exploit like he did in Part 4 outside of Jason's apparent hatred of him for killing him. Overall still a good film and one of the better Friday the 13th films.

I think Steamlord sums it up the best.

Giallo is actually a pretty broad term, but oddly specific at the same time. The word (Italian for "yellow") comes from a series of mystery novels that were printed with yellow covers. Because of this, in Italy imported thriller and mystery movies are also referred to as gialli (plural spelling for giallo). So to them, something like Psycho is a giallo.

For outside Italy viewers like ourselves, it's mostly used for Italian mystery movies. It wasn't the first giallo, but Mario Bava's Blood and Black Lace is basically the template for the sub-genre.

What makes it confusing for our purposes is, because it's really just a term for mystery movies they can either swing in the horror direction or more into normal thriller. For example, Fulci's A Lizard in a Woman's Skin is a giallo, but not a horror movie at all. It's just a thriller. This is what makes selecting gialli for the marathon so difficult. There's so many I want to watch but have been skipping because I believe them to be more thriller than horror, and it's hard to research without spoiling them for yourself too much.

They don't always have the secret identity of the killer be he mystery, for example both Hatchet for the Honeymoon and The Night Evelyn Came Out of the Grave use the killers as the protagonists and have completely different mystery elements. Neither would be considered a slasher either, so that doesn't necessarily make a giallo.

Some films also lean more towards the poliziotteschi sub-genre, which is the name used for Italian police/crime thrillers that were popular in the 70s (think Dirty Harry). Films like What Have You Done to Solange? are an example of this, and I'd say that's also more of a thriller than a horror movie.

And then you have stuff like StageFright (aka Deliria) which is often referred to as a giallo, however that's just a straight up slasher.

As for Suspiria... well, some people do consider it a giallo. I personally don't because of the focus on the supernatural and its lack of interest in developing the mystery.

If you want to see a true example of a giallo, my vote would be starting with Blood and Black Lace to see it in its purest form, and then Tenebre which I believe to be the best giallo out of what I've seen.

This is a good write up and I hate when people try to rope every Italian horror film in that era into the Giallo su genre. Tenebrae and Deep Red are Giallo films. Suspiria, Inferno and Phenomena are not.

Endy MacK

"I just can't with this guy! I don't know whether to kill 'em or just take notes!"
Movie 3 - Cult of Chucky
cmhcJyZ.jpg

As a completely arbitrary challenge this year, I'm going to format my reviews in ≤140 and ≤280 character "tweets".

A consciously silly extension of the previous film that doesn't try too hard with it's rationale for more doll-induced murder and mayhem.

Cult of Chucky basically throws a kitchen sink of references from the franchise at the viewer while providing a moderately enjoyable film that doesn't really try hard enough to be any one thing. Bonus points for maintaining Chucky as an awkwardly animated prop instead of CG.

Liked:
- Fiona Dourif continues to be great
- The mental hospital setting
- Some of the jokes are silly enough for a laugh
- The ending was pretty neat

Did not like:
- Felt very by-the-numbers
- The stylized (read: inaccurate at best) portrayal of mental health professionals
- Chucky's horrendous haircut

3 Good Guy™ doll's out of 5
--

My wife is the actual fan of this franchise and she seemed to enjoy it.

I enjoyed the format of your post, thank you! 😊

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
6. Cat People (1942) - I honestly wasn't expecting much from this, but I ended up loving it. Even in a contemporary setting and without creature effects, it gives off the same feeling as the classic Universal monster flicks. Its the story of a sympathetic character destined for tragedy due to the supernatural. The romantic triangle is sweet and believable and you feel for all of the character's involved.

7. The Fog (rewatch) - I instantly fell in love with this movie a couple of marathons back. Its an old-fashioned ghost story with likable characters and some excellent scares.

Day 1. - Little Evil - 1.5/5
Day 2. - The Pretty Thing that Lives in the House - 2.5/5
Day 3. - Gerald's Game - 3/5
Day 4. - The Invitation - 3.5/5
Day 5. - Creep

Creep is a found footage horror film directed by Patrick Brice(The Overnight, Creep 2) staring Mark Duplass(Safety Not Guaranteed, The One I Love)

After accepting an ad on craigslist, an eager videographer is hired to work with Josef (Mark Duplass) and he's not working with a full deck.

This is a really bad movie. I thought maybe I'd like this given that I enjoy Mark Duplass. I figured seeing him play a psycho would be great since he doesn't play that kind of character normally. It's just a string of bad jump scares and Duplass being creepy. Nope! Avoid this at all cost.

1/5

gforguava

3. The Slayer

Positives in the first 10 minutes:
The lead lady's hair and her husbands mustache.

Negatives in the first 10 minutes:
Opens with a terribly uninteresting dream sequence.
What kind of nonsense camera angle is this?
A lady takes a shower...and her towel and bathrobe are both in the shower with her?
Horror strings kick in when a guy cuts himself shaving.
Followed by ominous music as the are putting their luggage in the car. I can't even.

80 or so minutes later...

Well that was dull as dirt. So much of this film is devoid of anything interesting. The story, the characters, the actors, the setting(more the house than the island), the look of the film, it is all actively dis-engaging, it repels your attempts to be interested in it.
When our foursome, yes you are dealing with a scant four people for this thing, arrive at their island getaway there is a sequence of them exploring the remote house they'll be staying at and because this is The Slayer and nothing good can happen, the house isn't some spooky old thing but rather a boring modern(by 1982 standards) place. But we are still forced to listen to ominous music as our group walks through rooms like this:

And that music...there is just so much unearned 'spookiness' in this thing, the score is trying its hardest to make you think this is some tense and atmospheric work but it ends up backfiring badly as the ominous tunes play all over the place.

But there are some positives. The makeup and fx work is pretty good, though rare. The main character, Kay(played by Sarah Kendall), has a great look about her, very sullen and forlorn. She would've been perfect in a film with more gothic sensibilities. And...uh. I think that is it.

And to top it all off it has an abysmal ending.

(Not gif worthy) out of 10. Seriously, I hated this film.

Ridley327

October 4

You've seen this setup before: the killer, sitting or standing alone in a room, refusing to talk to anyone until the arrival of a talented but flawed analyst, trying to figure out what made the person into the monster, all the while with the killer playing the long game for what could only be horrifying results. That was indeed a common sight in serial killer films throughout the 90s, and The Ugly doesn't operate that far away from the well-worn path, seeing fit to include the kinds of cliches that always worm their way into these stories. And while the film doesn't quite transcend past the familiarity due to some unforced errors of its own, it is a film that does at least prove that what it's about isn't necessarily as important as how it's about it.

In this film's case, the best thing going for it is the visual style of how our killer, Simon, tells his story. More precisely, how writer/director Scott Walker is able to depict the flashbacks and interview tactics that Karen employs as we peer into Simon's fractured and frayed mind. Here, events don't follow an entirely linear path, as Simon's recollection of his life before and after the emergence of his alternate persona, the title character, charts a jagged course as his later murders give way into his difficult childhood, only to whip wildly but effectively back into a different time period all together. This leads to some highly effective transition work, including a rather striking edit from one foot chase that stands to bring Simon some kind of happiness, right into one where he's older and ready to strike again at his next victim. The inserts of both present day Simon and Karen into the proceedings was also an inspired touch, as it helps remind us of the interview format without having to go out of its way to be too talky: for a setup so well known for being overly expository, the "show, don't tell" method here is not only refreshing, but very satisfying to watch unfold. Another bold tactic is employed with the violence, as the usual red blood is replaced with black, putting us into a deep and dark portion of Simon's mind that this is his coping mechanism that makes it easier for him to be able to commit the crimes that he does, effectively dulling the violence for him, even as it doesn't work quite the same way for the viewer.

It is certainly a stylish film from beginning to end, and while it works wonders for the central interview, one gets the sense that Walker may have gone a bit too far in a couple of other places that take you right out of it. Namely, the facility and its inhabitants that Simon resides in and with struck me as being too unrealistic and honestly rather silly, particularly the orderlies that feel like they came out of thrash metal music video and a head doctor played by Roy Ward who really plays up his weirdness too much to register as anything other than annoying. The facility also comes across as more of an art director's idea of what a mental ward should look like rather than an actual mental ward, with strange touches throughout like a glass office and a viewing theater complete with actual movie theater chairs and refreshments (no joke!) that stick out from the relatively simpler reality of Simon's life.

Adhering to a few too many cliches, the film goes into an expected finale that does that really annoying thing of giving the killer pure omnipotence to set up the tragic conclusion, which I can't in good conscience call a remotely desirable outcome. Here also, the movie gets more murky than ambiguous, leading to a frustration that we wind up somewhere back around square one with our understanding of what Simon actually is by the end of the film. It's not cheating, per se; more that it feels like the story got away from the filmmakers in the service of producing striking imagery that came at the tale's expense. I think the cloudiness along with the fussy surrounding elements does a disservice to the strong performances from both Paolo Rotondo and Rebecca Hobbs, as well as the central visual conceit for how Simon's story is depicted, as the film is easily recommendable on those qualities alone. As it is, we're looking at a flawed film that gets so close to being a true breakout that it kinda pisses you off a little bit that it isn't when it was so close to that finishing line. There's a lot to like here, but I really do wish that it didn't have an equal amount of unwanted elements to go along with them.

Film for Oct 5: Gonna play it a little by ear today, as I'm due for an appointment with a podiatrist that should (hopefully) do something about my toe, but I'll watch something for sure.

So far, I've watched the following since the start of the month:

1) The Void - Cool cthulu/Event Horizon/The Thing sort of feel to this. None the characters are memorable but the art direction and music make up for it for me.

2) Wes Craven's New Nightmare - I haven't watched this since it was available on VHS as a rental. It's a 90s-ass horror movie for sure. It's meta as all hell and really dumb but in a dumb fun sort of way.

3) Black Mirror (White Christmas episode) - This might have been my favorite episode of this series. Not really horror proper but I thought this had the best display of technology run amok where people embrace it and use it for some awful shit without batting an eye,

220px-Insideposter.jpg

#6 - Inside

A decade later, and I still love this movie. My wife wanted to see it during the time she was pregnant, but I told her not until after the baby is born. Trust me. She thanked me for making that decision.

220px-Insideposter.jpg

#6 - Inside

A decade later, and I still love this movie. My wife wanted to see it during the time she was pregnant, but I told her not until after the baby is born. Trust me. She thanked me for making that decision.
I have a list of films that I’ve sort of refused to see but I’m working on psyching myself up to finally watch them.

Currently, the list consists of A Serbian Film, Cannibal Holocaust and this.

I have a list of films that I've sort of refused to see but I'm working on psyching myself up to finally watch them.

Currently, the list consists of A Serbian Film, Cannibal Holocaust and this.

I've seen A Serbian Film, but can't bring myself to watch CH yet due to the animal deaths. This is just a really brutal and violent film with not a lot of offensive content, and it's nowhere near whatever A Serbian Film was. I just wouldn't recommend showing it to a pregnant woman.

Blader

Any thoughts on John Carpenter's Masters of Horror episode, Cigarette Burns? I was thinking of adding it to my list as a late addition (and an easy one to make, given it's only an hour long). I was looking into the series recently and his episode seems like far and away the most well liked of the bunch.

aravuus

Sinister 2? Nah, it's..

Day Five: The Invitation

Not fun. Not fun at all. Very frustrating. God damn was it frustrating.

Pretty good, too.
All kinds of hardcore cults like the one in this have always had a pretty strong effect on me in media, it's just so fucking infuriating and unbearable to see completely delusional people hurt others and genuinely believe they're doing something right or good or beautiful.

Not exactly enjoyable, but I'd definitely recommend it.

Yep yep. Definitely something FUN tomorrow.

3) Black Mirror (White Christmas episode) - This might have been my favorite episode of this series. Not really horror proper but I thought this had the best display of technology run amok where people embrace it and use it for some awful shit without batting an eye,

I haven't watched a lot of Black Mirror, but I just saw this episode last weekend and holy shit did I love it. Really damn good.

Any thoughts on John Carpenter's Masters of Horror episode, Cigarette Burns? I was thinking of adding it to my list as a late addition (and an easy one to make, given it's only an hour long). I was looking into the series recently and his episode seems like far and away the most well liked of the bunch.

It’s pretty good. It’s a bit stodgy and dialogue heavy for a while, and not the best example of Carpenter’s visual skills, but the pay off is worth it imo.

I've seen A Serbian Film, but can't bring myself to watch CH yet due to the animal deaths. This is just a really brutal and violent film with not a lot of offensive content, and it's nowhere near whatever A Serbian Film was. I just wouldn't recommend showing it to a pregnant woman.

Oh my god. This. I've seen CH but yeah...the live animal deaths pretty much make it so I'll never watch it again.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!

That'll be one of the next movies I watch.

SeanC

I actually kind of dug it. Reedus is really good in it, easy to forget the guy can act since he's mostly known for The Walking Dead. It's a nice little mystery/paranoia thriller that kind of reminded me of something Polanski would have done. It's not top-tier Carpenter but a good little flick.

11) Demons (1985)

A cheesy zombie horror flick, with fang-toothed, pus-oozing demons instead of the undead. The clever set-up and confined setting made for a more interested film than some of the other Italian horror I’ve seen, and the gore and gross effects were great as always, but Demons worked more because I like a decent zombie film rather than any appreciation for this schlocky genre fare

Aikidoka

1. Silence of the Lambs
2. American Werewolf in London
3. Rosemary's Baby
4. Gerald's Game
5. The Conjuring
6. The Grudge

ok, so I found The Conjuring to be almost unbearable with all it's bulllshit. I genuinely don't know why it's regarded positively.

Glad to see so many are liking "The Invitation". It was probably the best movie I'd seen in 2016. Anyway:

DAY FIVE: SOCIETY

Another one that's been talked up for quite some time as a fun little gross-out film. In the US, its available on Amazon Prime right now. I highly recommend it.

So you've seen Teen Wolf, you've seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Now imagine all that, but add in They Live, Karl Marx, and Reanimator, and you'll kinda know what to expect from out of this one. It opens great, closes even better, and is chock full of all kinds of 1980s John Hughes teen movie satire in between.

Billy is a high school kid who just feels out of place. He thinks his family is creepy. He occasionally hallucinates some weird gross shit. His sister is maybe a little too familiar with him. His parents are stiff. He goes to see a therapist, but the shrink keeps telling him it's all in his head. Even still, he tries to keep it together. He plays basketball, he's running for school President. But after his sister attends a "coming out" party, he starts putting the pieces together, realizing that maybe he's not so crazy after all.

More fun than scary, the satire is always very on-the-nose, but that's part of what makes it so enjoyable. It's not trying to hide anything really. Instead it wears its intentions on its face, all the way down to the Michael J. Fox look-a-like lead. And damn is that ending just so so so gonzo in the best way.

All in all, recommended. Just be prepared for some gross-ass shit along the way.

SeanC

ok, so I found The Conjuring to be almost unbearable with all it's bulllshit. I genuinely don't know why it's regarded positively.

Can you go into what you didn't like?

For me the movies are incredibly well crafted but have utterly awful plots and, despite great actors, pretty uninspired and dull characters.

11) Demons (1985)

A cheesy zombie horror flick, with fang-toothed, pus-oozing demons instead of the undead. The clever set-up and confined setting made for a more interested film than some of the other Italian horror I’ve seen, and the gore and gross effects were great as always, but Demons worked more because I like a decent zombie film rather than any appreciation for this schlocky genre fare

Plus it has an amazing 80s soundtrack as well.

Top Bottom