• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bumper crop of PSN PS1 Classics just ESRB rated (XENOGEARS, VAGRANT STORY & MORE!)

Takao

Banned
heringer said:
So, after the ESRB update usually how long it takes for the game to show up at the store? I might save the $10 credits I have if the wait isn't too long.

It could literally be months. Pac-Man CE for PSP went up in like 2009 and has yet to show up.

DonMigs85

This brings great joy to my heart
SophieChevalier.jpg

Spwn

Double dipping on Xenogears! It's one of my favorite PSX games and one of the few games I ever imported for the system, but I can't play it without my modded PSX which is at my mom's. Never managed to finish it, because my big brother decided he needed space for his Resident Evil 2 saves. He was 32 years old at the time. It was my PSX. My memory card. Yes, I'm bitter.

spidye

Takao said:
So it appears only I will be left wondering without a hope if my chidren's trading card game will ever hit the PSN.
oh god I remember that game. it was so different from the actual tcg.
it was pretty hard and frustating too :/

Elios83

Suzzopher said:
I use Play-asia.com They send you the code instantly.

Thank you =) It has been months since I haven't been able to buy stuff on the US Store.
Just bought a card on Play Asia: Xenogears, Mana and Chrono Cross will be mine.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
0 HP said:
still definitely need:

einhander
chrono cross
brave fencer
parasite eve 1 & 2

i think thats it?

Chocobo Dungeon 2
Chocobo Racing
Tobal No. 1
Tobal 2
Bushido Blade
Ehrgeiz

0 HP

ULTROS! said:
Chocobo Dungeon 2
Chocobo Racing
Tobal No. 1
Tobal 2
Bushido Blade
Ehrgeiz
yea those and saga frontier 1 & 2 i guess...those are kind of the b-list of the bunch though

squall211

So awesome. I own them all the Square games except Threads of Fate, so that's a definite buy, and I'll likely pick up the others just to be able to play them on my psp.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Cmagus said:
..... damn it

shutupmoney.jpg

This...five times over.

Man, at this rate, I won't have to pay full price for a game next year like...ever. Between Steam sales and hot PSN action.

Suzzopher said:
The hassle of swapping PSN accounts on my PSP just annoys me :( Having to be by a Wi-Fi connection to login is just a pain.
Oh, so this is possible... How does it work? I have not trouble switching accounts on my PS3 but on PSP it looks like only one account is possible and that one is tied to my EU PS3 account.

DonMigs85

Notorious_Roy said:
Oh, so this is possible... How does it work? I have not trouble switching accounts on my PS3 but on PSP it looks like only one account is possible and that one is tied to my EU PS3 account.
you have to delete and input accounts

Aru

Xenogears and Legend of Mana, at last :D
I could already buy Vagrant Story on the french Store, but I wanted a 60 Hz version so I may buy the US version someday.
When PE1, PE2 and Chrono Cross are released, my PSP will become the ultimate handheld of the forever :D

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Notorious_Roy said:

That's a interesting little limitation. I wonder if it will ever change, or on a successor, or if Sony is of the opinion that unlike a home system, every portable system should belong to one owner only.

I'd like that Xenogears, but 10$ for a PSX game is just too much. Yeah I know it's super rare and all, but I don't care.

Do Squenix ever give discounts on their PSX titles?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Missed out on ALL of these games during the PSX era. Will buy all.

DMeisterJ

Banned
SHEEEEEEEEEIT!

Holy fucking Shit! Xenogears on the PSN? What the fuck did I do to deserve this!?!?!?!?!?

Grace Chen Forever!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Synless

Xenogears, Threads of Fate and R4????? My PSP is becoming more happy everyday. All I need now is Chrono Cross and my life is complete.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
DrFunk said:
Xenogears play-through #6 GO
Would be my 4th, which is a lot for me. I played it about 3 years ago. I love the story/locales in Xeno. Such an adventurous game.

And Crono Cross would complete my PS1 needs. Jade Cacoon would be nice though.

Vagrant Story is in EU store already right? Well I own it anyway, but can't wait to play R4 again and Xenogears for the first time!!

I already own the games from that list that I'm interested in, have already ripped them for playing on my PSP, and yet, somehow... I want to buy them again???

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
badcrumble said:
I already own the games from that list that I'm interested in, have already ripped them for playing on my PSP, and yet, somehow... I want to buy them again???
FF7,8,9, FM3, Crash 1/2/3?CTR, and others I bought even though I own real copies. Crazy!?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
vocab said:
Also, lol @ Legend of Mana. That game is garbage,

Legend of Mana is the best game Squaresoft made on the PS1, the pinnacle of the Mana series, and probably their best game ever made.

If you played Legend of Mana once, as like a ten year old, and immediately exclaimed "lol this isn't secret of mana this is bullshit", you're basically a joke of a poster. There's a lot of people like this, perpetuating the myth that the game wasn't any good because it immediately put people off ten+ years ago because it wasn't Seiken Densetsu 2 part 3. Analyze the game with a level head and you'll see where it shines.

Although some games don't work when looked at from a reductionist standpoint, let's break Legend of Mana down into categories.

Music: Does Legend of Mana have garbage music? Well, no. The composer was Yoko Shimomura, who you would know from all the Kingdom Hearts games, Super Mario RPG, Parasite Eve, Little King's Story, and a whole lot more--and this is her best original soundtrack ever. It's a sprawling 50+ song soundtrack with virtually no duds, excellent synth samples, and lots of solid emotional notes.

Here's one of my favourite tracks; Youtube translates it as "The Great Virtue of Gathering Mana's Spirit. This is a moving piano place with interesting composition, a great piano sample and sound quality, and is used at a perfect place in the game.

Here's some kickin' rad fighting music; "The Darkness Nova". It's high octane and driving synth buttrock, which is about what you expect from fighting. Synth quality is a little bit lower here, but the composition is great. Actually, it reminds me a lot of Mystic Quest's better rock tracks, which is a huge compliment.

Graphics: Legend of Mana is pretty inarguably one of the pinacles of 2D, sprite-based graphics on consoles. You've got Excellent dialog portraits, Cool large boss sprites, and another, Beautifully rendered backgrounds, great use of colour, and another, and of course, great concept art. I don't really want to spoil anything here, but some locations like the final dungeon, the Bejeweled City, the seaside town, the Dudbear town, and a few others are spectacular.

Combat: Legend of Mana has truly excellent combat. The major decision they made that pays off is to get rid of being able to attack up and down, effectively making the game a true linear combat system; orient yourself to be on the same plane as the enemy, and attack. This makes combat feel significantly more precise that the earlier Mana games, where it was largely sloppy.

What kind of combat and combat-related mechanics do you have?
Well, you've got:
- You can discover at least 30 different combat moves (the game calls them abilities), largely by using existing combinations of other moves. This is really cool because it encourages experimentation and switching up your abilities. You start with a few basic skills; let's say Jumping and Retreating. Press jump, your character jumps. Press retreat, your character retreats. Press them together and s/he does a back-roll handspring. Combine high-jump with back-roll and you get a full backflip. Combine back-roll with back-flip and you've got flip-kick. At first you sort of intuit how skills come together, and you're generally rewarded with an ability that makes total sense. The best part is that this isn't grindy at all, doing this simply a few times will unlock the more advanced moves for use on your character.

- There are maybe 10 different classes of weapons. Battleaxe? We've got that. Bow and Arrows? We've got that. Just like that other Mana games, you've got an extraordinary leeway in how you want to play the game. Maybe you'd like to master all the skills, of course. Weapons bring with them techniques; techniques are special weapon moves which combine the unique attributes of the weapon you're using with the unique attributes of the abilities you've unlocked above. The game is excellent at integrating its manifold systems together and letting you use as few or as many as you'd like to use.

- Experience sharing is an interesting thing. When you kill enemies, they drop experience crystals. Your ability to share experience with combat partners depends on who picks what up. Very neat and simultaneously frustrating, just the way we like those kinds of mechanics.

- Weapons can be crafted. Your first playthrough of the game you probably won't bother, since you can use the stock weapons, upgrade them by buying new ones at stores, and move on. But if you so desire, you can multiply the strength of your end-game weapons by a factor of ten by using the awesome crafting system. Like crafting systems in most game's, Legend of Mana's is a little obtuse at the start (I won't hear anyone praise SMT's walkthrough-requiring demon fusion systems and criticize this one). The gist is that you apply raw materials which have obvious grades and organic items which don't and in the end you get a new weapon. If you want to engage in MMO-like min-maxing, the option is there. You can spends dozens of hours doing this. If you just want a quick boost, that option is there too. Awesome!

- Where do you get organic items, you ask? Excellent question. Remember that backyard orchard I posted in the screenshots above? There. You get seeds in the course of the game, and each seed matures, subject to some conditions, into a different fruit. So that's a second integrated crafting system to go along with the weapon crafting.

- So this pretty much describes all the aspects of the single-player combat system, but wait, there's more! As a free bonus, there's tons more you can do.

- First, two player co-op including a rudimentary form of character import is in the cards. Some might say "but Secret of Mana had three player co-op". I've never used the SNES Multitap, but I think if the difference between Legend of Mana being brilliant and Legend of Mana being garbage is support for a multitap accessory, especially in 2010, you guys are nuts. In the mean time, there's also a vs battle arena if you want to use it.

- Second, you often get a story related partner. These are of mixed utility. Some of them get in your way, some of them actively contribute to combat.

- Third, you can bring a pet with you. Although they're rarely required (I think the fossil digging quest might be the only non-pet quest that requires one), the system is deep. It combines a Pokemon-style daycare system with a wide variety of diverse pets. There's about 50 pet types, and raising them is enjoyable if you choose to partake in it.

- Fourth, you can craft a golem from scratch. This is probably the deepest system in Legend of Mana. You start by assembling great materials to give him high HP and high attack. This is basically like weapon crafting, but more expensive. But where the golem really shines is that you get to "program" him. By combining basic commands, you get various final combat attack patterns; specific skills have specific ranges. Very cool, very tough to master, and like raising pets and crafting weapons, totally option.

- I would be amiss if I didn't mention that the game has the best NG+ mode of any game ever made. If you want to play it like Chrono Trigger and use NG+ to steamroll over the game, feel free. If, however, you want a little challenge, there are two additional difficulty levels. I should warn you, it will take you 15+ minutes to kill the basic beginning of game enemies in the highest difficulty if you don't have an optimal crafted weapon. These modes really put your mastery of all the games mechanics to a test.

- I very deliberately left the world design feature until last. New areas appear on the world map when you use certain items in certain locations. The closer you put the items to your home base, the easier the enemies are and the worse the treasure and sold items from shops are. So building the world requires not only finding the items in question, but also placing them effectively. If you want to ignore this feature, ignore it. Stick stuff anywhere. If you want to really min/max the game, you'll have to master this. Speedrunners will note that putting the last dungeon right next to your home base is the only plausible way to complete a weakling run. There's also a system of elemental affinities involved here but it's one of the game's few underdeveloped mechanics.

Story and Quest Design: Legend of Mana doesn't have one storyline, it has three. You can do any of them or all of them. I won't spoil what they are, but each storyline consists of about ten quests taking you across as many locations, and you will certainly stumble on the genesis of each when you begin the game. Each story is pretty involved and requires you to get to know several characters and follow them. Where most RPGs have certain character vignettes in a town (say, FF6 with the injured soldier writing letters to his girlfriend on the Veldt), Legend of Mana logically extends this by showing you that the other characters in this world are on their own adventures like you're on yours. Follow their antics through towns and intervene to help them.

As you complete one or more of the story lines, the Mana Tree blooms in the background, bringing with it an inevitable final confrontation and the beginning of a new destruction/creation cycle. This is very consistent with the cyclical nature of history in other Mana games, and if you actually liked the stories of the earlier games, you'll like the story here. One storyline follows the story of the Dragon Gods--a story which will involve you dying and being brought through the underworld itself, one follows two star-crossed lovers--including through the carcass of a giant dead worm-God, and one follows the bizarre species of Jewel Beasts.

The quest design here is excellent. Some quests are your typical explore, combat, boss combat, story scene layout. There's nothing wrong with that, since virtually everything in all the rest of the Mana series let alone every other RPG does this. But some quests are truly unique. Consider the Dudbear language--at one quest, you agree to sell a bunch of lamps as a travelling salesman to help a guy impress the woman he thinks he's in love with (his romantic misadventures are a whole quest chain in the game and it's genuinely hilarious stuff). To do this, you need to learn the Dudbear language! Dub duba duda dubba! Dubba dadda? Dada dadda! The cool thing about this is that each conversation tree in Dudbear has a lot of leeway, so it's kind of like a non-English version of something like Mass Effect or Alpha Protocol in that there are many ways to steer the conversation to sell the lamps.

Or have you ever went on an archaeological dig with some students to help find parts of a bone? You'll have to do it in this game, and once you've assembled the bone, place it on the world map to create the next dungeon you'll be going into.

Have you ever let a stoned fortune teller trap you in a dream world? Noticed your pet cactus ran away? Helped a positively terrible merchant sell overpriced junk to unsuspecting citizens? Composed poems to help a guy get hooked up? Sure there's no Santa Claus and so it misses the opportunity for a quirk fourth-wall break like in Secret of Mana, but the quest design here is varied, filled with developed characters, and engaging.

Also you can play as a boy or a girl which is an option that more games should have.

Overall: Legend of Mana holds up better than any other game on a technical level from the PS1 era. The graphics and music are legendary for a reason. The much maligned game design is frankly never criticized in detail, just dismissed, and in the mean time I've demonstrated that the game can be as simple or as complicated as you make it, that every combat and crafting system integrates with one another very well, and that the game is rewarding and deep if you choose to make it so. The quest design is varied and despite criticisms of the game being story-light, if you realize that the story is about the characters of the vivid, lush world, instead of being a self-important angry teen saves the world quest, the story is actually one of the better ones both on the PS1 and in an RPG in general. Despite major changes to the Mana formula, it keeps intact the spirit and far moreso than the later much worse games in the series, provides a blueprint for how to modernize some of the Mana gameplay beyond the 16-bit era.

GameSpite readers will note that Jeremy Parish named the game the #1 most underappreciated game of all time and discussed it in GameSpite Quarterly #6. I won't transcribe what he wrote and I don't agree with him 100%, but relative to the hate the game gets, the title of #1 most underappreciated rings true for me.

I don't want to say "haters gonna hate", but virtually everyone who hates the game played it once a decade ago, didn't get it, and immediately bitched that it didn't match their expectations for a Mana sequel. If you have the maturity to come to terms with that and actually play the game for what it is, it is a masterpiece.

leehom

Holy crap, I hope it comes soon. I can't wait...I'll def be buying Xenogears and Vagrant Story. Don't know much about LOM or TOF..but might buy them too just for the hell of it.

0 HP

Stumpokapow said:
Legend of Mana is the best game Squaresoft made on the PS1, the pinnacle of the Mana series, and probably their best game ever made.

If you played Legend of Mana once, as like a ten year old, and immediately exclaimed "lol this isn't secret of mana this is bullshit", you're basically a joke of a poster. There's a lot of people like this, perpetuating the myth that the game wasn't any good because it immediately put people off ten+ years ago because it wasn't Seiken Densetsu 2 part 3. Analyze the game with a level head and you'll see where it shines.

Although some games don't work when looked at from a reductionist standpoint, let's break Legend of Mana down into categories.

Music: Does Legend of Mana have garbage music? Well, no. The composer was Yoko Shimomura, who you would know from all the Kingdom Hearts games, Super Mario RPG, Parasite Eve, Little King's Story, and a whole lot more--and this is her best original soundtrack ever. It's a sprawling 50+ song soundtrack with virtually no duds, excellent synth samples, and lots of solid emotional notes.

Here's one of my favourite tracks; Youtube translates it as "The Great Virtue of Gathering Mana's Spirit. This is a moving piano place with interesting composition, a great piano sample and sound quality, and is used at a perfect place in the game.

Here's some kickin' rad fighting music; "The Darkness Nova". It's high octane and driving synth buttrock, which is about what you expect from fighting. Synth quality is a little bit lower here, but the composition is great. Actually, it reminds me a lot of Mystic Quest's better rock tracks, which is a huge compliment.

Graphics: Legend of Mana is pretty inarguably one of the pinacles of 2D, sprite-based graphics on consoles. You've got Excellent dialog portraits, Cool large boss sprites, and another, Beautifully rendered backgrounds, great use of colour, and another, and of course, great concept art. I don't really want to spoil anything here, but some locations like the final dungeon, the Bejeweled City, the seaside town, the Dudbear town, and a few others are spectacular.

Combat: Legend of Mana has truly excellent combat. The major decision they made that pays off is to get rid of being able to attack up and down, effectively making the game a true linear combat system; orient yourself to be on the same plane as the enemy, and attack. This makes combat feel significantly more precise that the earlier Mana games, where it was largely sloppy.

What kind of combat and combat-related mechanics do you have?
Well, you've got:
- You can discover at least 30 different combat moves (the game calls them abilities), largely by using existing combinations of other moves. This is really cool because it encourages experimentation and switching up your abilities. You start with a few basic skills; let's say Jumping and Retreating. Press jump, your character jumps. Press retreat, your character retreats. Press them together and s/he does a back-roll handspring. Combine high-jump with back-roll and you get a full backflip. Combine back-roll with back-flip and you've got flip-kick. At first you sort of intuit how skills come together, and you're generally rewarded with an ability that makes total sense. The best part is that this isn't grindy at all, doing this simply a few times will unlock the more advanced moves for use on your character.

- There are maybe 10 different classes of weapons. Battleaxe? We've got that. Bow and Arrows? We've got that. Just like that other Mana games, you've got an extraordinary leeway in how you want to play the game. Maybe you'd like to master all the skills, of course. Weapons bring with them techniques; techniques are special weapon moves which combine the unique attributes of the weapon you're using with the unique attributes of the abilities you've unlocked above. The game is excellent at integrating its manifold systems together and letting you use as few or as many as you'd like to use.

- Experience sharing is an interesting thing. When you kill enemies, they drop experience crystals. Your ability to share experience with combat partners depends on who picks what up. Very neat and simultaneously frustrating, just the way we like those kinds of mechanics.

- Weapons can be crafted. Your first playthrough of the game you probably won't bother, since you can use the stock weapons, upgrade them by buying new ones at stores, and move on. But if you so desire, you can multiply the strength of your end-game weapons by a factor of ten by using the awesome crafting system. Like crafting systems in most game's, Legend of Mana's is a little obtuse at the start (I won't hear anyone praise SMT's walkthrough-requiring demon fusion systems and criticize this one). The gist is that you apply raw materials which have obvious grades and organic items which don't and in the end you get a new weapon. If you want to engage in MMO-like min-maxing, the option is there. You can spends dozens of hours doing this. If you just want a quick boost, that option is there too. Awesome!

- Where do you get organic items, you ask? Excellent question. Remember that backyard orchard I posted in the screenshots above? There. You get seeds in the course of the game, and each seed matures, subject to some conditions, into a different fruit. So that's a second integrated crafting system to go along with the weapon crafting.

- So this pretty much describes all the aspects of the single-player combat system, but wait, there's more! As a free bonus, there's tons more you can do.

- First, two player co-op including a rudimentary form of character import is in the cards. Some might say "but Secret of Mana had three player co-op". I've never used the SNES Multitap, but I think if the difference between Legend of Mana being brilliant and Legend of Mana being garbage is support for a multitap accessory, especially in 2010, you guys are nuts. In the mean time, there's also a vs battle arena if you want to use it.

- Second, you often get a story related partner. These are of mixed utility. Some of them get in your way, some of them actively contribute to combat.

- Third, you can bring a pet with you. Although they're rarely required (I think the fossil digging quest might be the only non-pet quest that requires one), the system is deep. It combines a Pokemon-style daycare system with a wide variety of diverse pets. There's about 50 pet types, and raising them is enjoyable if you choose to partake in it.

- Fourth, you can craft a golem from scratch. This is probably the deepest system in Legend of Mana. You start by assembling great materials to give him high HP and high attack. This is basically like weapon crafting, but more expensive. But where the golem really shines is that you get to "program" him. By combining basic commands, you get various final combat attack patterns; specific skills have specific ranges. Very cool, very tough to master, and like raising pets and crafting weapons, totally option.

- I would be amiss if I didn't mention that the game has the best NG+ mode of any game ever made. If you want to play it like Chrono Trigger and use NG+ to steamroll over the game, feel free. If, however, you want a little challenge, there are two additional difficulty levels. I should warn you, it will take you 15+ minutes to kill the basic beginning of game enemies in the highest difficulty if you don't have an optimal crafted weapon. These modes really put your mastery of all the games mechanics to a test.

- I very deliberately left the world design feature until last. New areas appear on the world map when you use certain items in certain locations. The closer you put the items to your home base, the easier the enemies are and the worse the treasure and sold items from shops are. So building the world requires not only finding the items in question, but also placing them effectively. If you want to ignore this feature, ignore it. Stick stuff anywhere. If you want to really min/max the game, you'll have to master this. Speedrunners will note that putting the last dungeon right next to your home base is the only plausible way to complete a weakling run. There's also a system of elemental affinities involved here but it's one of the game's few underdeveloped mechanics.

Story and Quest Design: Legend of Mana doesn't have one storyline, it has three. You can do any of them or all of them. I won't spoil what they are, but each storyline consists of about ten quests taking you across as many locations, and you will certainly stumble on the genesis of each when you begin the game. Each story is pretty involved and requires you to get to know several characters and follow them. Where most RPGs have certain character vignettes in a town (say, FF6 with the injured soldier writing letters to his girlfriend on the Veldt), Legend of Mana logically extends this by showing you that the other characters in this world are on their own adventures like you're on yours. Follow their antics through towns and intervene to help them.

As you complete one or more of the story lines, the Mana Tree blooms in the background, bringing with it an inevitable final confrontation and the beginning of a new destruction/creation cycle. This is very consistent with the cyclical nature of history in other Mana games, and if you actually liked the stories of the earlier games, you'll like the story here. One storyline follows the story of the Dragon Gods--a story which will involve you dying and being brought through the underworld itself, one follows two star-crossed lovers--including through the carcass of a giant dead worm-God, and one follows the bizarre species of Jewel Beasts.

The quest design here is excellent. Some quests are your typical explore, combat, boss combat, story scene layout. There's nothing wrong with that, since virtually everything in all the rest of the Mana series let alone every other RPG does this. But some quests are truly unique. Consider the Dudbear language--at one quest, you agree to sell a bunch of lamps as a travelling salesman to help a guy impress the woman he thinks he's in love with (his romantic misadventures are a whole quest chain in the game and it's genuinely hilarious stuff). To do this, you need to learn the Dudbear language! Dub duba duda dubba! Dubba dadda? Dada dadda! The cool thing about this is that each conversation tree in Dudbear has a lot of leeway, so it's kind of like a non-English version of something like Mass Effect or Alpha Protocol in that there are many ways to steer the conversation to sell the lamps.

Or have you ever went on an archaeological dig with some students to help find parts of a bone? You'll have to do it in this game, and once you've assembled the bone, place it on the world map to create the next dungeon you'll be going into.

Have you ever let a stoned fortune teller trap you in a dream world? Noticed your pet cactus ran away? Helped a positively terrible merchant sell overpriced junk to unsuspecting citizens? Composed poems to help a guy get hooked up? Sure there's no Santa Claus and so it misses the opportunity for a quirk fourth-wall break like in Secret of Mana, but the quest design here is varied, filled with developed characters, and engaging.

Also you can play as a boy or a girl which is an option that more games should have.

Overall: Legend of Mana holds up better than any other game on a technical level from the PS1 era. The graphics and music are legendary for a reason. The much maligned game design is frankly never criticized in detail, just dismissed, and in the mean time I've demonstrated that the game can be as simple or as complicated as you make it, that every combat and crafting system integrates with one another very well, and that the game is rewarding and deep if you choose to make it so. The quest design is varied and despite criticisms of the game being story-light, if you realize that the story is about the characters of the vivid, lush world, instead of being a self-important angry teen saves the world quest, the story is actually one of the better ones both on the PS1 and in an RPG in general. Despite major changes to the Mana formula, it keeps intact the spirit and far moreso than the later much worse games in the series, provides a blueprint for how to modernize some of the Mana gameplay beyond the 16-bit era.

GameSpite readers will note that Jeremy Parish named the game the #1 most underappreciated game of all time and discussed it in GameSpite Quarterly #6. I won't transcribe what he wrote and I don't agree with him 100%, but relative to the hate the game gets, the title of #1 most underappreciated rings true for me.

I don't want to say "haters gonna hate", but virtually everyone who hates the game played it once a decade ago, didn't get it, and immediately bitched that it didn't match their expectations for a Mana sequel. If you have the maturity to come to terms with that and actually play the game for what it is, it is a masterpiece.
the only flaw is how easy it is to beat the game doing almost nothing. you can unlock hard mode and nightmare mode iirc, but it still sours the first playthough

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
leehom said:
Holy crap, I hope it comes soon. I can't wait...I'll def be buying Xenogears and Vagrant Story. Don't know much about LOM or TOT..but might buy them too just for the hell of it.

Threads of Fate is a neat but slight ARPG with some hilarious dialogue and a Resident Evil style system of having two characters that have separate but overlapping storylines. The cool thing is that their gameplay styles are very different. You ever go to the cinema and see a good movie that you forget 15 minutes later? It's good, you'll recommend it to people, but it's clearly not an important movie? That's Threads of Fate.

Aside: There's one particular scene where the female character (Mint) is banging her head against the wall in frustration, and I really think that if animated screencap gifs were popular 10+ years ago, this would have had significant meme potential.

If you're trying to play through all of Squares PS1 games, it's easily worth a run. If you're only looking for true classics and important games to play, get Xenogears, Vagrant Story, and Legend of Mana from the crop rated above.

Ponn

Banned
Stumpokapow said:

ragekitty.jpg

RAGE!! Though a bit more on the passive-aggressive rage side.

Though congrats, you did convince me to buy it and try it out when it's released on the store.

.la1n

Legend of Mana, about damn time. Shall be my first purchase. Is it sad I get more excited about rereleases of PSX games then I do actual PS3 games?

leehom

Stumpokapow said:
Threads of Fate is a neat but slight ARPG with some hilarious dialogue and a Resident Evil style system of having two characters that have separate but overlapping storylines. The cool thing is that their gameplay styles are very different. You ever go to the cinema and see a good movie that you forget 15 minutes later? It's good, you'll recommend it to people, but it's clearly not an important movie? That's Threads of Fate.
I've played through Xenogears and Vagrant Story many times on PS1..and loved them. Never gave LOM a chance because it was vastly different from the previous SOM I fell in love with and never knew there was a rpg called TOF, lol. I'll be buying all four...because I love the portability of playing these classic rpg's on the psp. Which reminds me..I need to purchase a new psp cuz my psp-2000 is near death.

Top Bottom