• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead |OT| 2 Cups 1 Screen

Everything about this game was fantastic. Seriously such a gem to play through!

Looking forward to a sequel for sure! Hope it was nothing but a success for the studio!

watdaeff4

The dragon is destroying me over and over. The 2nd phase where you have to dodge random fireball while jumping and shooting is the worst part of the game.

That I mastered by staying on top clouds as high up as possible and in the middle or even a bit left half of the screen and then jumping a second or so after you hear the end of the laughter.

It's the next phase that just completely wrecks me so would appreciate any and all tips for that.

joesmokey

Did you
collect the one in the Woods on Isle 1? Next to the closest NPC at the Bridge to Isle 2

Edit:

Just found another one!
In front of the Trailer at the end of Isle 2
I managed to find the rest by
running into everything and going behind all the buildings. I was missing the woods one.
The dragon is destroying me over and over. The 2nd phase where you have to dodge random fireball while jumping and shooting is the worst part of the game.
Try the lob gun and stay on the highest clouds. Don't use your super in the second phase, too risky.

Justinh

I found a lot of the time just staying still was the easiest tactic.

What worked best for me, like probably every time, was jumping straight up. I would make sure I wasn't too far to the left at all times so I could do so "comfortably." Mainly though, I would check to see who was jumping/which way they were jumping and making sure I was NOT jumping in the same direction as them. They seem to chase you and hit you every time.

Make sure you use
the Lobber weapon for that fight, btw.

ItIsOkBro

How can you stay still when the game forces you to move forward by jumping on the clouds? Besides, those fireballs...

if we're talking about the tiny fires that jump at you from the assembly line, i found that they don't even aim at you. they just jump in 2 different arches, depending on where they start the jump.

Teeth

Any idea when these changes are going to happen?

Soon™

Nooooo, weapon swap is an interesting "Advanced mechanic" plz don't nerf!

Hammering LB as fast as you can to almost triple your damage output goes beyond an "advanced technique" and into "exploit" territory. Right now, it can be used to literally bypass certain phases of bosses and even a beginner can do it if they know it exists. If you had to use frame perfect timing or intelligent spacing or really understand the nuances of boss patterns to implement the technique, we'd leave it in.

But you don't.

You just hit LB while holding the shoot button.

If an actual codified technique in a game was "tap LB as fast as you can to triple your damage", do you think that would be a good design decision?

When I hear "By using this one simple technique, you can bypass complete phases of bosses!" it actually means, "By using this one simple technique, you don't actually have to play the game! You just get to win!"

That said, it's getting a nerf, it's not getting removed.

Why not buff the other moves instead? Bubble feels too weak as it is too unreliable to kill adds and too awkwardly ranged to be useful.

Because the bosses were designed with a certain damage output in mind and one of the weapons falls a decent amount outside of that damage output. It trivializes some encounters. You can crack off 3 charge shots and kill ph3 of the Bee fight. That basically means you don't have to play the 3rd phase if you pick the broken weapon.

Buffing all of the other weapons to damage output level would decrease the boss fight times by a huge portion. At that point, you'd be able to commonly beat bosses between 1:00-1:15. Successful boss fights were designed to be between 1:45-2:00. They are timed and sequenced and balanced for this.

If you really want to get into it, we can put some numbers on it so that it becomes clearer.

Let's take a boss that has 4 phases. Let's say we buff up all of the weapons so that they have damage output of the charge weapon at it's most broken. That leads to a 1:00 fight. That means each of the 4 phases lasts about 15 seconds. Let's say each of those phases has an intro animation that is about 3 seconds long. Add an additional second for the boss to come out of the intro animation and do it's first "tell" before attacking. So that's 4 seconds where you don't have to actually do anything. So we're down to 11 seconds of actual play time on a phase. When Cuphead takes a hit, he gets about 2 seconds of invincibility to recover. So that gives you a "free" 2 seconds where you don't actually have to worry about what's going on on screen. So we're down to 9 seconds where you have to be actually watching out what's happening on screen per phase. If you picked Super Art II (invincibility), you would probably only get to use it once per fight (because they are so short), and it gives you almost 5 seconds of invincibility. So divided by 4 phases, that's about another 1.5 seconds per phase where you don't actually have to be paying attention.

So we're down to 7.5 seconds per phase where you actually have to be watching the screen, reacting to what's happening, learning the patterns....you know, playing the game.

7.5 seconds.

Now, if we wanted to properly balance the weapons around the same damage output as the charge shot, we'd actually have to buff the EX shots as well. So that would take our boss fights times down even more.

So we'd probably be down to about 6.5 seconds.

Which would exacerbate the problem of not having enough time to get enough parries in to get either A) Have ranks mean anything, and B) Even have them be useful.

Now, to add to all of this, there are some bosses that have elaborate transition animations as long as 6 seconds. So that would cut some forms down to 4.5 seconds.

And some attack tells are held for 2 seconds...so in that 4.5 seconds of actually playing the game, you would have 3.5 seconds of actually having to react to certain attacks. Of actually playing the game, per phase.

That's a problem.

Also, Lobber is used in the current All Bosses Speedrun record so....nope.

The best 20 bucks i've ever spent. The game is beautiful, fun, rage inducing, and so rewarding. My GOTY. To me the top 3 hardest bosses where Diceman, the mermaid, and the junkyard boss. I almost quit at Diceman. Had to take a day off, and come back to it. Got it on my 3rd try. Perfect game.

I personally found that boss much more manageable than the rest of World 2.

Do you mean the stage where the Dragon is spitting fireballs, or the stage where the fire things on the tongue jump at you? I found the latter to be much more challenging than the former, since the Fireballs are quite predictable.

If you're not using the smoke bomb charm, that might help a lot since that allows you to teleport through the fireballs if you're about to collide.

sheaaaa

I personally found that boss much more manageable than the rest of World 2.

Do you mean the stage where the Dragon is spitting fireballs, or the stage where the fire things on the tongue jump at you? I found the latter to be much more challenging than the former, since the Fireballs are quite predictable.

If you're not using the smoke bomb charm, that might help a lot since that allows you to teleport through the fireballs if you're about to collide.

I had a ton of trouble with the dragon myself but I eventually got the hang of the fire things on the tongue, whereas I don't think I could finish the 3rd phase again.

To the guy who had trouble with the fire things, stick to the highest clouds. They make a noise when they're about to jump, and they jump either left or right towards you. So if you're on the left side of the screen, and the fire thing is on the right, it'll go towards you. Either jump over to the right or just jump up, either way they're relatively straightforward to avoid that way.

The last phase was a real fucker.

Skulldead

Done, it was really good... but why i heard some review said the game was 6-10 hours ?

I mean it took me 3 hours, didn't find anything to be really difficult. Sure it was challenging, but nothing as hard as some ''youtuber'' pretend to be.

I wish it was longer ! It's mean i was ready to continue to play !

Imur

96%, only the Final Boss left. I absolutely loved this game. I didn't expect it to be SO good.
It's just the right amount of challenging to motivate and make you yell in joy after beating a hard Boss or Level. The Artstyle is the best in 2017 and the Music would be the best in nearly every year without a Nier Game.

Hardest Part for me (so far):
riding the kraken at the end of the Pier Run&Gun.
. I'm not even joking.

Sally Stageplay took me a few times but it was so much fun. It totally has a Mike Tyson's Punch Out! feel with the crowd there.

STUPID BEE IS KILLING ME THOUGH

Hardest Part for me (so far):
riding the kraken at the end of the Pier Run&Gun.
. I'm not even joking.
Just goes to show everyone is different. I pacified that level and made it with only one HP at that part. I was in the zone!

jviggy43

I can't believe people are making such a fuss over the charge shot. Its so much more OP than anything else in the game and is always the most viable. It needed to be changed. It gimped the gameplay experience.

Done, it was really good... but why i heard some review said the game was 6-10 hours ?

I mean it took me 3 hours, didn't find anything to be really difficult. Sure it was challenging, but nothing as hard as some ''youtuber'' pretend to be.

I'm at 7 hours and I only just got to World 3.

If you die / restart a lot it really pads the play time out.

Finished at last! This was $20 well spent. In an era where gaming is slowly devolving into F2P microtransaction bullshit, it's so refreshing to have a modern game that is a shining example what gaming should be (in my opinion). Well done MDHR, I hope this becomes a million+ seller and enables you guys a bright future.

Also, I'm awful at this game. I love hard games but this one hit my weak point (10 hours, 300+ deaths lol). Although I feel most of those deaths were concentrated in a small minority of stages. Now, time to play some Gunstar Heroes!

Anustart

I mean staying on the platform you're currently on as they're about to jump. Maybe I got lucky but they'd usually jump over me or away from me.

Yeah, basically just have to jump straight up. If it's getting critically close to the dragon just jump up then dodge right.

Edit: Anyone have a link to that cuphead swag store? Nevermind, quick google instead of being lazy solved my problem.

FiggyCal

Banned
Fantastic game so far. I think the difficulty is pretty good right now - not too hard. Is there like a new game + after you beat it that has a higher difficulty?

jviggy43

Fantastic game so far. I think the difficulty is pretty good right now - not too hard. Is there like a new game + after you beat it that has a higher difficulty?

There is, its called expert mode. Nothing radically too different tho. Biggest change seems to be everything comes at you faster.

breakfuss

This game, man. Do we talk enough about how wonderfully demented its sense of humor is? It’s fucking weird as hell and I love it. I find myself laughing more at the absurdity than I’m upset at constantly dying.

valeo

Question; did you abuse charge shot?

By the way I have never beaten a single boss with charge shot. I thought it would be like MM4 Mega Buster charge but it’s a different beast and I can’t figure it out.

Pea shooter for life

Grisby

YOU DEFEATED.

Finally defeated
King Dice
and went on to beat the game today. The
devil
was so so much easier than the previous boss it wasn't even funny.

Besides being a bit frustrated last night I persevered, thanks to some wise ol gaf guidance. This is a great game and worthy of a GOTY spot for sure. Not only does it look great but the bosses are fully realized (crazy designs) and fun (mostly) to fight. So kudos to the devs and Teeth because this was well worth the wait and my $20.

KcS39iD.gif

Oh, and afterwards I jumped right back in to get some screenies and ended up beating
King Dice
one more time on my first try. Imagine that.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Just got to world 2 and got my ass handed to me by every boss on option. Time to put the game down and come back tomorrow I think

Why do I get the feeling
Wise Old Kettle isn't as innocently helpful as he seems

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Back to using Charge because this
King Dice
deal takes way too long. I don’t really feel guilty about it though, it doesn’t sound like the nerf will be that big (10%?) and I don’t do the weapon switch exploit.

Wamb0wneD

I can't believe people are making such a fuss over the charge shot. Its so much more OP than anything else in the game and is always the most viable. It needed to be changed. It gimped the gameplay experience.

It is indeed but at some fights like Werner Werman Lobber is even better than the charge shot. If you can hit your target constantly it seems to dish out even more damage per second than the charger in it's current state.

Valahart

Brineybeard down, 4 more to go.

Even though I didn't really have too much problem with any Isle 3 bosses on regular, based on how much harder I'm finding the plane bosses, I'm really not looking forward to S-ranking
Robot and Cala Maria

jviggy43

It is indeed but at some fights like Werner Werman Lobber is even better than the charge shot. If you can hit your target constantly it seems to dish out even more damage per second than the charger in it's current state.

Of course but thats a specific fight in a specific situation. Charge shot can do that in every fight no matter what the situation is.

Maddrical

Cleared the game on the weekend, disappointed with myself after reading that charged shot was OP because I used it pretty much the whole game.

King Dice
was probably the biggest challenge for me. The
Dragon
was probably my favourite boss, or close to, because they're all fabulous. The
cat/mouse
level was something special.

Though I gotta say my favourite phase would be
Djimmy The Great when he turns into the sarcophagus.
The face combined with the animations and then his sadness after being defeated... I just loved it.

Probably the most fun I've had playing a platformer since LIttleBigPlanet. Really great game, and I can't wait to watch some speedruns.

Izuna

Banned
144hz works, but you have to turn on VSync in the game from what I've seen.

But there's really bad ghosting on anything over 60FPS. This is with GSYNC on. I'll try without and with ULMB.

Edit: Doesn't seem to get rid of the ghosting. I also can't feel/see a difference (other than the ghosting) between 60 and 144 other than my counter saying 144.

Hmm, it worked. Thanks.

Although for some reason I have strange CPU stutter (at least when I tried it). Probably unrelated and I needed a reboot or something, but anyway, thanks.

Maddrical

Does anyone else love the backgrounds in King Dice's gauntlet? I especially like the skeletons playing poker one.

Definitely one of my favourite backgrounds, along with
Werner Werman
(for obvious reasons, if it counts) and
Beppi the Clown
because you can see other locations in World 2 in the background which I thought was pretty neat.

Anustart

Love how the devil can hit you with absolutely nothing if he does his snake head thing going from right to left. Such bullshit. Ends so many S attempts and A+ for that matter because it's infuriating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b_0SoeULpg&feature=youtu.be

People in that love drunk phase where the game can do no wrong despite the many bullshit scenarios it throws at you.

Edit: Also, for a bit of praise. The cigar mini boss my favorite in the game. Such wonderful animation.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Beat it! Used
Spread on the Devil
. Loved the game from start to end and I didn’t feel like any boss or R&G stage was unfair (on regular, no idea about expert). Definitely hard though, some more than others. I’ll get back to it for the rest of the achievements, but not immediately.

Didn’t use the Charge shot aside from the
Dragon (didn’t know it was broken) and King Dice (the cooldowns were making the fight take too long and it was getting late here, lol)
. Shame it had to be avoided, but hopefully the patch will be out when I get back to the game.

Love how the devil can hit you with absolutely nothing if he does his snake head thing going from right to left. Such bullshit. Ends so many S attempts and A+ for that matter because it's infuriating.
Yeah, I didn’t understand that. Sometimes I could avoid it by hugging the wall and jumping, but often there was an elusive hit out of nowhere when his head left the screen.

jviggy43

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b_0SoeULpg&feature=youtu.be

People in that love drunk phase where the game can do no wrong despite the many bullshit scenarios it throws at you.

Edit: Also, for a bit of praise. The cigar mini boss my favorite in the game. Such wonderful animation.

Ive noticed this myself actually. Even if you kill the demon running at you from the side you still get hit by something. Has to be a bug or something.

You can avoid the bullshit damage if you dash forward just as the snake form retreats. Hopefully they patch it out, but you can definitely avoid it every time.

Teeth

You can avoid the bullshit damage if you dash forward just as the snake form retreats. Hopefully they patch it out, but you can definitely avoid it every time.

It's actually supposed to hit you at the edges of the screen on both sides. He flattens out and extends as he darts back.

The correct way to dodge it is to duck between the middle arcs.

There does appear to be an errant hit box there though. I'll look into that.

Watch my video I posted.

Sorry, I meant with a jump. Jumping towards the snake as he slinks back and dashing forward will prevent damage.

And of course I learn you can duck under the goat form well after I've 200%'d the game and S-ranked the fight

It's actually supposed to hit you at the edges of the screen on both sides. He flattens out and extends as he darts back.

There's absolutely nothing going on to communicate that you're supposed to be taking damage there.

J-bo

Just beat it. Picked it up out of curiosity on Friday and finished it in 3 sittings over the weekend.

Possible GOTY for sure. Can't remember a game I have had so much fun with, while also being in awe. The work on display here is amazing.

Top Bottom