• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead |OT| 2 Cups 1 Screen

Is this game "harder" than Thumper? I couldn't beat Thumper (only got like 50% of the way through, then it became impossible to beat those bosses..zzz)

I know they are different types of games, but I was just curious if I can beat this game.

(I beat all the Souls' games if that helps you answer my question
KuGsj.gif
)

Are the supers bugged for ranking? I used my super twice and got a B- because it said 0/6 for super meter. I’ve beaten this train like 10 times and cant get my super score past 2/6.

Plane bosses are great. Cala Maria is the only real bad one imo, but that's cuz it's too random. (The only other boss I consider bad is the Clown for the same reason.)

Plane bosses are great. Cala Maria is the only real bad one imo, but that's cuz it's too random. (The only other boss I consider bad is the Clown for the same reason.)

I feel almost literally the exact opposite, Cala Maria was the only plane boss I actually enjoyed. To each their own I suppose.

Grisby

I think the
Dice Roll
stage might be the first time that I am legitimately not really having fun with the game. Maybe it's just my mood tonight, plus I hit the go back to
start button
which is just sadistic btw.

Any hot tips for this guy? The last guy.

I think the
Dice Roll
stage might be the first time that I am legitimately not really having fun with the game. Maybe it's just my mood tonight, plus I hit the go back to
start button

Where he puts his hand, go to the furthest side opposite of it, and don't start jumping/parrying until the cards have hit your side so you can get all of them in sequence.

Arkkoran

Unconfirmed Member
Is this game "harder" than Thumper? I couldn't beat Thumper (only got like 50% of the way through, then it became impossible to beat those bosses..zzz)

I know they are different types of games, but I was just curious if I can beat this game.

(I beat all the Souls' games if that helps you answer my question
KuGsj.gif
)

I've played a lot of rhythm games over the years and very little of games like Cuphead, and I find Cuphead easier.

Same here. I had a couple stages where it rang up as 0/6 despite having used the super

Make sure it hits the enemy, otherwise it will not count.

1upsuper

I think the
Dice Roll
start button

You can bounce on the same card repeatedly. Use this to your advantage if you often find yourself bumping into King Dice's hand.

Bossniak

Is it me or is the final boss a cake walk after the first stage?

Beat the game with 348 deaths.

Also during the
king dice, monkey fight, does the monkey go off screen for everyone and you get a knockout?

Fudge yes!!! Thank you so much for this game, mdhr. What a GOTY it has been.

PS. Any chances on a future update that will let us play as Mugman in singleplayer? :)

WVSup1h.jpg

7113YOJ.jpg

LVRMoYA.jpg

BSWJcgv.jpg

mike4001_

OK, I cannot beat the clown.

It's just impossible. Especially stage 2 with the balloons flying around, it's just pure luck if I survive or loose all my 3 lives.

Next problem: I still have my standard weapon. Only thing I could by at the shop was some kind of "You have to be right in front of the enemy but then I get more damage" => Never bothered to buy this and bought some other perks.

In a video on youtube I saw some green homeing weapon and a three-fold gun .... nice ... :-/ Would like to have those.

Is it me or is the final boss a cake walk after the first stage?

Beat the game with 348 deaths.

Also during the
king dice, monkey fight, does the monkey go off screen for everyone and you get a knockout?

I was trying to get the Bravo Zulu achievement
on the Monkey and that happened randomly after the second card pair
. Ez victory.

Just beat this. Awesome game, and the only time Jazz music has ever been good.

I know it's not optimal or whatever, but the homing shot and the invincible dash make 90% of the bosses and stages incredibly easy. The hardest stages imo were
the dragon, the robot, and the beehive. King Dice's stage was pretty easy (especially with the invincible dash- the cigar, roulette, chips and rabbit are all literally zero-effort with it),
but I had a really hard time consistently landing on the aces during the last phase.

I'm glad it was hard, and I hope it leads to a trend of more hard games coming out in the future.

The plane stages aren't much fun.
I definitely feel the game would be better with out them

The
Mermaid and the Genie are two of the coolest fights in the game imo. The robot, while incredibly frustrating and miserable to actually play, is conceptually probably my favorite fight in the game

dankir

Plane fights are easy folks! Hold down the fire button and keep switching weapons. Many bosses go down quick.

850 achievement points so far. I just need to beat all the bosses on expert and me. dice with an A- At least on regular.

Can't wait for the sequel or dlc. Just give it to me!!

eXistor

I think the
Dice Roll
start button

Try playing Gunstar Heroes and then come back say
start over in this game is sadistic
;)

Toki767

Definitely having fun with the game.

The run and gun and plane levels aren't bad, but if they were the stuff that was added after people complained that it was originally going to be a boss rush type game, I feel like they definitely feel like they got the short end of the stick when it came to level design.

Fettbacke

Neo Member
Cuphead runs on my Surface Pro 4 with the Intel m3 Professor! It looks and runs as smooth as Butter. Really shocked about that lol.

Gonna buy a second XBone Controller so i can play it with a friend :D

Rezbit

Just finished after about 6 hours with 150 deaths.. Obviously an amazing looking and sounding game. Gameplay was good too, with what I felt was a solid challenge throughout.

Had the most trouble with the flying stages, and didn't enjoy them as much as the regular and run'n'gun stages. Once I got the
charge shot
I felt things got a lot easier.

Not sure if I will go for higher ranks straight away as my backlog is huge, but it's definitely something I will come back to. It's gonna be a timeless game for sure.

breadtruck

My least favorite boss fights. I wish they used them with the run and gun levels. Still stuck on Genie.

Same. He and the bird have stopped my progress.

The
Mermaid and the Genie are two of the coolest fights in the game imo. The robot, while incredibly frustrating and miserable to actually play, is conceptually probably my favorite fight in the game

Ive only seen one of those listed so far, and Ill agree, its a neat looking stage.
But its not fun.

I think a big part of it for me is that you upgrade and swap your weapons and abilities for the rest of the game, but in these fights, you are forced to stick with the same attacks.

The dev was in this thread talking about balancing the weapons so you have to determine whats best for the situation. That train of thought clearly didnt carry over to the plane levels.

Teeth

The dev was in this thread talking about balancing the weapons so you have to determine whats best for the situation. That train of thought clearly didnt carry over to the plane levels.

Nah, it carried over just fine.

Also, all of the charms work on the plane bosses.

Klopek

Neo Member
Also during the

I really don't think so. I've just had that happen to me and an instance where all the cards were flipped yet he remained invulnerable and therefore the fight couldn't be finished.

kinggroin

Banned
That fight took me like 2 hours to finally get through. Anyone else think it's a crazy difficulty spike or is it just me?

It's funny which bosses people find hard and which they find easy.

That robot took me 3 tries.

Dice King, Candy Lady, Rumor Honeybottoms, and the Dragon. I never want to face them again.

"Also, all of the charms work on the plane bosses."

How does that work with Whetstone? Since there's not really a "first parry" per se with the plane? I've weaned myself off of smoke bomb and started using Whetstone as both a defensive tool as well as letting me sneak in that extra bit of damage to get through these expert phases as fast as possible.

Crypt

I kept getting this weird bug with the monkey boss on the king dice stage where he would just randomly go off screen and die. It seemed to always happen on the left edge in the middle just after he banged his cymbals together. Happened to me about five times. Anyone else get this?

mokeyjoe

Cuphead runs on my Surface Pro 4 with the Intel m3 Professor! It looks and runs as smooth as Butter. Really shocked about that lol.

Gonna buy a second XBone Controller so i can play it with a friend :D

I'm not sure why you'd be shocked, it is just an 2d game in the end, just with good art. Good art has nothing to do with specs.

It runs on my feeble 6yo Pentium laptop ok if I drop the res.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Racked up a few deaths at the robot, but thankfully
his first phase if fairly inconsequential if you use the secondary weapon and don’t let him do anything substantial.
Got an A- because of HP.

Sigma722

I'm having a hell of a time with
The Devil
. Are you just supposed to survive the final phase? I can't see how to damage him there.

see5harp

Beating king dice with a perfect was surprisingly easy. It’s all about figuring out the mini bosses leading up to the final phase. This game is good.

see5harp

I'm not sure why you'd be shocked, it is just an 2d game in the end, just with good art. Good art has nothing to do with specs.

It runs on my feeble 6yo Pentium laptop ok if I drop the res.

Plenty of stuff runs less than ideal on the surface if you run native. It’s a fairly high resolution screen.

Top Bottom