• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead |OT| 2 Cups 1 Screen

jviggy43

I'm not calling anyone in particular out, but you do seem to have thrown yourself into that group.

I mean you are calling me out, you just did again. If you take an issue with something I said and want to call me names, at least have the courage to quote me, why don't you quote specifically which post makes me a douchebag and why, and also before you do, try reading the rest of my responses to understand the conversation. Youre being overly defensive.

GhaleonQ

I remember you, you wrote good posts. I hope you enjoy the game :)

It's a honor to hear that, sir! This is truly a dream game. Even the challenge is a perfect balance of dexterity and thoughtfulness.

My greatest games of all-time list hasn't budged since the DS, but I may have to revise it soon.

In the meantime, the soundtrack is spinning all day today.

So youre going to try and passive aggressively call me out, not engage when I ask you what specifically youre name calling me for, and I"m the douchebag? haha ok then.

You called yourself out, internet chum.

Enjoy the game. Here's some unsolicited advice: Unsolicited advice is the junk mail of life.

Please don't quote me again, you're on ignore.

Ravelle

I'm going through on expert trying to get S on everything right now and I still have yet to get in a situation where I felt the game fucked me over, where it wasn't my fault.

It's mostly the pixel perfect nature that that gets under my skin, or with the flower in which the pink bud shooting flower in the air preventing you from jumping or pink things on the being in the same place as regular objects.

I'm at the candy lady and one of the first phases there's that dude that jumps and splashing himself on the ground and the hitbox on that is really wide and unclear where, it's hard to practice when I don't know what is and what isn't animation with a hitbox.

Haines

Banned
I'm at the airplane level I have been using the starting setup. Didn't even add a second gun.

I'll ignore the charge shot. I enjoy the challenge and reliance on skill.

rmanthorp

Cuphead is a sweet and wonderful game if a little tricky - let me check in on the NeoGAF OT- ohhhh OK... Guess this game was pretty likely to rile people up...

Anyway Gamespot has uploaded someone from their getting SRanks on all bosses if that's something you want to seek out. They use the weapon switching trick...

Zia

Revisiting the train it's the one boss fight that I think has legitimate problems.

The arcing projectile in the first fight clips out for me occasionally, dealing with ghosts on fight three is tedious (both how many shots it takes to kill as well as hit feedback) and readability on the smoke puffs in the last fight is terrible.

Thematically it's like my second or third favorite so that's kind of disappointing.

jviggy43

It's mostly the pixel perfect nature that that gets under my skin, or with the flower in which the pink bud shooting flower in the air preventing you from jumping or pink things on the being in the same place as regular objects.

I'm at the candy lady and one of the first phases there's that dude that jumps and splashing himself on the ground and the hitbox on that is really wide and unclear where, it's hard to practice when I don't know what is and what isn't animation with a hitbox.
I stayed on the ground for the most part during the first phase of the flower and just focused on shooting. The smoke dash really helps avoid how much is going on there.

Yeah the cupcake I found to be the most annoying of the bunch. I'll recommend smoke grenade again lol.

Cuphead is a sweet and wonderful game if a little tricky - let me check in on the NeoGAF OT- ohhhh OK... Guess this game was pretty likely to rile people up...

Anyway Gamespot has uploaded someone from their getting SRanks on all bosses if that's something you want to seek out. They use the weapon switching trick...
Sorry to derail. I just didn't appreciate being called names when I wasn't trying to act elitist as much as reccomending people relying on charge might want to get used to a post charge world prior to it happening. I'll reel it on next time.

PSqueak

Banned
Revisiting the train it's the one boss fight that I think has legitimate problems.

The arcing projectile in the first fight clips out for me occasionally, dealing with ghosts on fight three is tedious (both how many shots it takes to kill as well as hit feedback) and readability on the smoke puffs in the last fight is terrible.

Thematically it's like my second or third favorite so that's kind of disappointing.

Weird, i didn't find any of these problems, mostly because your first 2 complaints are easily avoided by using the spread, but i completely disagree on your criticism of the last phase, maybe it's cause im used to run and gun games, but i had no problem tracking the attacks on that phase.

Spman2099

The boss with legitimate problems is Dr. Asshole and his giant robot... Foreground elements in addition to a RIDICULOUS amount of bullets on screen? I love this game. I think it is nearly perfect... but the person that decided that boss needed extra obfuscation is awful. They legitimately have a black heart.

The pier was a fucking clusterfuck I was forced to
fill my super gauge to the max and keep my 3 hp to hope getting past the end

got all the coins that's great I guess

Ellite25

Ok this roller coaster guy is very difficult and not in a fun way. Since everything is slightly different every time depending on when you progress to the next stage of the fight and where you’re standing it seems like it’s just the luck of where you happen to be standing at any given time.

ItIsOkBro

Ok this roller coaster guy is very difficult and not in a fun way. Since everything is slightly different every time depending on when you progress to the next stage of the fight and where you’re standing it seems like it’s just the luck of where you happen to be standing at any given time.

Yea, this is one of the only fights where I thought an unfortunate combination of attacks end up being unavoidable. Sometimes a stray roller coaster from the previous phase ends up carrying over, and you have to jump over the riders...but then the clown is on his horse firing lasers at the top of the screen.

FinKL

I wonder if the devs are Street Fighter fans.

Each weapon has an EX Move and your supers are called Super Arts and you can change them before a fight just like Third Strike. They could of called each of those something else.

Also I got the Charge Shot and 1 thing im doing is that in MegaMan games when you let go of your charge and hit the button to recharge you actually fire a weak beam. You don't fire that weak beam here, it just charges. So in this game I let go of the charge and double tap the button to shoot a weak beam to follow the charge shot. Idk if it's more efficient to just shoot charge shots, but I like the feel of this better

PSqueak

Banned
I never even bothered to switch shots from the starting normal/spread combo. Did i miss much?

Charge shot can cut a lot of time from most bosses.

Lobber makes the final phase of Rumor Honeybottoms significantly easier.

Each weapon has an EX Move and your supers are called Super Arts and you can change them before a fight just like Third Strike. They could of called each of those something else.

Not to mention Ribby and Croak have Ryu and Ken color schemes on their gear and Sally Stageplay's first form feels like a straight up fighting game character.

Got the achievement for collecting all coins from the Run & Gun stages but still don't have enough to buy the double heart upgrade? Do I need to wait until Expert mode, or?
Currently stuck at the second last boss but I'm not too frustrated about that fact which is a testament to how brilliant this game is.

jviggy43

Got the achievement for collecting all coins from the Run & Gun stages but still don't have enough to buy the double heart upgrade? Do I need to wait until Expert mode, or?
Currently stuck at the second last boss but I'm not too frustrated about that fact which is a testament to how brilliant this game is.

NPCs give you coins as well.

PSqueak

Banned

Some of the NPCs have mini quests, they give you coins for them, like the juggler in island 2 who gives you a coin for making a 4+ parry combo (easily done in the fair level).

Also I got the Charge Shot and 1 thing im doing is that in MegaMan games when you let go of your charge and hit the button to recharge you actually fire a weak beam. You don't fire that weak beam here, it just charges. So in this game I let go of the charge and double tap the button to shoot a weak beam to follow the charge shot. Idk if it's more efficient to just shoot charge shots, but I like the feel of this better

Also its called parries just like street fighter 3.

these guys should make the next STREET FIGHTER!!!!

CloudWolf

Some NPC's give you coins and in every world there is one coin hidden. There are exactly enough coins in the game to buy everything.

nkarafo

Ok, i give up. After 4 days i still can't beat world 1. I only managed to beat 3 bosses so far after many, many deaths.

If it was any other game i wouldn't care that much but i really want to try all the bosses in this one. So, is there a possibility of a cheat?

jviggy43

I feel like I'm the only one in existence who absolutely loves all of the run and gun levels. I adore them. Really hope the complaints don't deter the devs from expanding on these in any future seuqels/games. Theyre hard, but thats why theyre so good.

Kordelle

Just finished the game.
King Dice was so damn hard because of the randomness of the dice, with every boss I became more nervous when to jump.
The devil was a real challenge too.

never would have thought that I would finish the game so fast (especially after playing it at several Gamescoms in the last years where I failed badly at it), but it was sooo damn good. My GOTY so far.

jviggy43

Just finished the game.
King Dice was so damn hard because of the randomness of the dice, with every boss I became more nervous when to jump.
The devil was a real challenge too.

never would have thought that I would finish the game so fast (especially after playing it at several Gamescoms in the last years where I failed badly at it), but it was sooo damn good. My GOTY so far.

Always jump 2 numbers before the number you want, it isn't random. Will save you a ton of time if you want to ever replay it.

Teeth

I agree with all of this, of course, but I'm still curious to know how this wasn't apparent during development. Why did this not become clear until post-release?

I'm not sure what to tell you. It got missed because it got missed. There are billion moving parts while you're wrapping up a game, including boss health and balancing EX shots vs standard shots vs trying to make standard runs work within the 2 minute limit, vs how fast you get supers vs boss movements vs charm loadouts vs everything. It just got missed.

It's kind of like this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahg6qcgoay4

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yeah, I’ll have to stop using Charge for now. I got through the dragon with it and it felt too much like I was cheesing it (I’ll fight it again later to get an A). Beat the bee with
Chaser and Spread
and it was much more satisfying.

I actually wish the patch was out already so I could use it because I actually like the weapon.

NEO0MJ

If your still reading Teeth, why doesn't super I have any invincibility after it's finished? Don't you feel it's a little unfair to let players get hit from an attack they couldn't see coming?

PSqueak

Banned
If your still reading Teeth, why doesn't super I have any invincibility after it's finished? Don't you feel it's a little unfair to let players get hit from an attack they couldn't see coming?

You think it was not intentional? kinda feels like it's for it to be more tactical and avoiding using it as a crutch.

I'm also a bit curious about weapon switching. If you mash the weapon switch button with Lobber and Roundabout, you can deal so much damage and can basically skip boss phases which makes it seem to be an optimal speedrunning strat.

PSqueak

Banned
You’re doing some crazy shit the game that over never seen. Disappearing while dashing? Shooting extra things?

Dissapearing by dashing is the perk of the smoke bomb charm, my personal fave.

Shooting extra bullets is done by constantly tapping the weapon switch button, this is the one thing i have refused to do on my first run, im down with the charge shot but i draw the line at this trick, maybe for future runs.

RedRum

Banned
This game is vexing me and I'm about to quit.

Why can't these guys just hand over their fucking souls deed to me without any fucking fuss. I'm a nice guy.

Ellite25

Dissapearing by dashing is the perk of the smoke bomb charm, my personal fave.

Shooting extra bullets is done by constantly tapping the weapon switch button, this is the one thing i have refused to do on my first run, im down with the charge shot but i draw the line at this trick, maybe for future runs.
Interesting. The only perk I’ve been playing with so far is the one that gives the first parry automatically. I’m not sure I want to dive into these other ones unless the game gets too difficult.

kinggroin

Banned
I agree with all of this, of course, but I'm still curious to know how this wasn't apparent during development. Why did this not become clear until post-release?

Because when you make the game, or involved closely with development, more than likely you're going to play it the way it was "meant" to be played.

So likely during testing, the charge shot wasn't equipped for every boss, and instead, it was more a "do these different weapons work fine in different scenarios" kind of thing. They exist because they have specific intentions - those intentions are probably what was tested mainly.

Besides, what games get balance completely perfect right out the gate? Sometimes you don't discover stuff like this until you throw a few thousand extra "testers" on it.

PSqueak

Banned
This game is vexing me and I'm about to quit.

Why can't these guys just hand over their fucking souls deed to me without any fucking fuss. I'm a nice guy.

I mean, think about it, you're an evil enough person that you owe your soul to the devil, a little suspiciously goody two shoes looking boy comes to your house and/or work place and demands you hand over your soul because he too lost his to the devil and he's trying to work it out, would you?

But seriously i just find the whole premise hilarious, specially cause one of the NPCs implies he used to go bounty hunting for the devil without actually owing him anything.

Ok, i give up. After 4 days i still can't beat world 1. I only managed to beat 3 bosses so far after many, many deaths.

If it was any other game i wouldn't care that much but i really want to try all the bosses in this one. So, is there a possibility of a cheat?

Is there a boss in particular that's giving you jip?

J-bo

Just picked this up for the weekend and finished the first world. Amazing game so far, having a blast.

ScOULaris

I'm not sure what to tell you. It got missed because it got missed. There are billion moving parts while you're wrapping up a game, including boss health and balancing EX shots vs standard shots vs trying to make standard runs work within the 2 minute limit, vs how fast you get supers vs boss movements vs charm loadouts vs everything. It just got missed.

It's kind of like this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahg6qcgoay4
Thanks for the reply. I was only looking for a developer's perspective because I find balance issues like this interesting. I didn't mean to imply any criticism via my inquiry.

RedRum

Banned
I mean, think about it, you're an evil enough person that you owe your soul to the devil, a little suspiciously goody two shoes looking boy comes to your house and/or work place and demands you hand over your soul because he too lost his to the devil and he's trying to work it out, would you?

But seriously i just find the whole premise hilarious, specially cause one of the NPCs implies he used to go bounty hunting for the devil without actually owing him anything.

LOL!

"Look. I'm only borrowing it. You'll get it back. Don't shoot the messenger."

NEO0MJ

You think it was not intentional? kinda feels like it's for it to be more tactical and avoiding using it as a crutch.

I feel it's a little to restricted right now. There's not much incentive to use it since most bosses fire so many shots/move so often that you almost never get a moment in a fight where you can use it and land safely . You're better off just using EX shots and super II.

Teeth

Because it forces you to pick a time that's safe to use it. You're invincible while you're doing it, so you can use it to bypass certain bad situations, but because the animation goes on so long, adding more invincibility would make it like Super II + free damage.

We tried it with some invincibility frames, but we liked forcing people to be more conscientious with when they decided to actually do it.

Top Bottom