• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | Discussion Thread - Everyone's favorite PC Platform

Xater

Shadow of War seems like the same kind of bland story and completely unlikable characters with more of the cool nemesis system, better combat and even less attention paid to the source material.
I guess I want someone to make a game with a good story and the nemesis system?

I think the recent Ghost Recon could have been way more interesting with the nemesis system in place. The setup for it was already there.

Tizoc

So about Sonic Forces- Is the P5 outfit region specific? I asked in the Sonic thread mainly because I don't see the P5 outfit in any of the retailers i frequent eg Gamesplanet, and someone posted that it'd be region specific so some regions may not get access to it.
Can anyone shed any light on this?

Shadow of War seems like the same kind of bland story and completely unlikable characters with more of the cool nemesis system, better combat and even less attention paid to the source material.

Eh I just skip this sorry excuse of a fanfic and just go about slaughtering orcs and building my army.
Sometimes you just gotta settle for the gameplay and enjoy the game for that.

I recently finished Agents of Mayhem, took me around 40 hours to complete everything on 100% according to in-game stats. I was thinking what next big game i should play next, seriously considered buying ELEX, but friend suddenly gifted me new South Park, so i guess i have new game to play until Wolf2 release. Sorry Piranha Bytes, maybe next time. I played first South Park and kinda enjoyed it, but this season was so packed with games that i didn't even considered buying new one on release, so i don't know what to expect from it, hope Ubisoft won't screw up.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So about Sonic Forces- Is the P5 outfit region specific? I asked in the Sonic thread mainly because I don't see the P5 outfit in any of the retailers i frequent eg Gamesplanet, and someone posted that it'd be region specific so some regions may not get access to it.

Maybe at retail, but not digitally.

Logistic

Anyone happen to know the cheapest place to preorder south park with a steam key? I see 10% off on GMG, but I suspect that's a Uplay key. I have prime and gamer's club, but those also appear to be Uplay.

Rizzi

Eh I just skip this sorry excuse of a fanfic and just go about slaughtering orcs and building my army.
Sometimes you just gotta settle for the gameplay and enjoy the game for that.

The story is actively damaging my sanity.

Tizoc

Anyone happen to know the cheapest place to preorder south park with a steam key? I see 10% off on GMG, but I suspect that's a Uplay key. I have prime and gamer's club, but those also appear to be Uplay.

Only Steam offers 'Steam version' of South Park FB.
If you are up for ti, consider using your card money to buy it :X

prudislav

mmFZ9Vb.png
Wheatley is that you???

Looking at videos of alternate choices in I Have No Mouth:
Holy shit, offering to eat the kid instead of taking his place in the sacrifice counts as a good ending. Bwahaha, what the fuck, game?

Tizoc

^I did not know you can do that, lol.

The story is actively damaging my sanity.

Listen to some sweet Daddy Mulk to ease your mind!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NteidGHXV7U

Look at it this way: Skip whenever you can and once you realize you are putting more hours into the gameplay than story, you'll not care for it anymore and it won't affect you!
Just make sure to listen to Shrek-sensei when he joins your army in Act/Chapter 2 since his teachings are very effective!
Mind you I've read Grant Morrison, watched Twin Peaks, and read through the entire JoJo series about half a dozen times, so my sanity can handle meh-quality fan fiction a lot easier :p

Hektor

^I did not know you can do that, lol.

Listen to some sweet Daddy Mulk to ease your mind!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NteidGHXV7U

Look at it this way: Skip whenever you can and once you realize you are putting more hours into the gameplay than story, you'll not care for it anymore and it won't affect you!
Just make sure to listen to Shrek-sensei when he joins your army in Act/Chapter 2 since his teachings are very effective!
Mind you I've read Grant Morrison, watched Twin Peaks, and read through the entire JoJo series about half a dozen times, so my sanity can handle meh-quality fan fiction a lot easier :p

*thinkingEmoji*

Sanic

Is there anywhere online that I can acquire a key for Wolfenstein 2009?

I still have an Xbox 360 copy but would love to play it on PC.

Kudo

Evil Within 2 completed (went at a slow pace, exploring and doing side-quests, but it is still a surprisingly meaty game. Took me 24 hours for completion.

My PC could only handle the game on Medium graphics settings (it's five and a half years old and was cutting top tier even when I bought it, I need to save up to replace it soon), but here's some screens I took while playing. Game has some great art direction in various spots, and tried to avoid anything more spoiler-y:

Godddamn I'm hyped to begin this game tonight! Gotta study some and then..

Jawmuncher

Hektor

So, turns out i played The Evil Within 2 on the highest difficulty afterall, dunno what happened, but when i lowered it it must have not registered the fact huh.

So maybe that was the reason i never had any ammunition, figures.

Anyways, a pretty cool but also disappointing game.
I felt throughout most of the game TWE2 didn't even attempted to be scary or horror, instead it was much more straightforward action mostly. I've also been missing the surrealism of the first game, other than at the beginning and occasionally in between, you'll mostly be walking through generic suburbs and evil science laboratories.

Like, PsychoBreak already got a premise that allows the devs to do literally anything and have it make sense within the story, but for some reason they decided to go with settings and enemies that could fit into pretty much any other zombie game for the most part.

I hope they'll get a bit more creative with the next game again

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Has anyone played the puzzle game Kairo? I completed the first part yesterday, but there was a weird optional puzzle based on sound (standing on tiles) that I couldn't seem to solve based on the info in the room. Is there a hint elsewhere? I looked at a guide on Steam and it just stated the solution, not the actual reasoning behind it.

So, turns out i played The Evil Within 2 on the highest difficulty afterall, dunno what happened, but when i lowered it it must have not registered the fact huh.

I felt throughout most of the game TWE2 didn't even attempted to be scary or horror, instead it was much more straightforward action mostly. I've also been missing the surrealism of the first game, other than at the beginning and occasionally in between, you'll mostly be walking through generic suburbs and evil science laboratories.

Like, PsychoBreak already got a premise that allows the devs to do literally anything and have it make sense within the story, but for some reason they decided to go with settings and enemies that could fit into pretty much any other zombie game for the most part.

That's disappointing to hear because that's what I loved about TEW: RE4 gameplay with actual horror. Still plan on playing it though.

Jawmuncher

I felt throughout most of the game TWE2 didn't even attempted to be scary or horror, instead it was much more straightforward action mostly. I've also been missing the surrealism of the first game, other than at the beginning and ocasionally in between, you'll mostly be walking through generic suburbs and evil science laboratories.

I mean one of the biggest complaints of the first game was how disjointed all of those environments felt. Even with a story reason for being able to have them. Though I agree I'd like some more variety i'd rather take what TEW2 has been offering than the whiplash TEW1 gave me as I progressed through it's story.

Also who knows about a next game. Three days and it's only sold about 40K. Not terrible but that's vastly under the first game. Which I think managed 100K in that same sort of time frame. Would not be surprised if we don't see another TEW. Considering we were worried about Dishonored and Prey which did more (But were still under expectations)

Mifec

I'm sure the next one is bringing back
Ruvik
so we might get more of that if we ever get a next one that is.

Tizoc

LTTP: Rise of the Tomb Raider

So I started Rise of the Tomb Raider tonight after only playing a handful of hours of TR 2013 awhile back (can't remember why I stopped, but it wasn't because it was particularly bad or anything.)

Game is pretty good, at least the first 90 minutes or so, I must say.

Not having owned a Playstation since the PS2, is this like what the Uncharted buzz was always about?

The gameplay isn't necessarily groundbreaking, and it's got some dumb-looking cards-crates or something, but that doesn't seem to matter too much.

But damn, the graphics on this game are hot stuff: was able to bump up to the very high default on my laptop and I'm sure it would look even better on a higher end PC with everything maxed out. The hair and water effects in particular are mesmerizing.

Since it was from Humble the past month, I don't have the DLC at all, but I don't think I'll end up caring too much. Doesn't look like anything offered in particular would enrich the experience - a lot seems like some of the stuff The Witcher 3 (another game I want to work on) gave out for free.

Tomb Raider '13 and its sequel take the UC formula and just expand on it....with some uninspired modern game mechanics (open world-like hub, some poorly thought out upgrades, silly story progressing mechanics or items)

The UC games are very linear and offer nothing much in terms of gameplay outside of cover shooting to gun down hordes and hordes of enemy waves. The initial games have not aged well at all IMO and I 've just beaten UC2 which is considered the best in the series.
I beg to differ; it is as uninspired as its predecessor far as game design goes.
The shooting is good but that alone didn't save its single player campaign from being a slog and snoozefest.
If they were shorter games I may have liked them more.
Lovely graphics though.

Ludens

Banned
It's really sad comparing SFV to MvsCI.
I would buy the second one, but really, it's like forcing myself to support a greedy company which milk the already small user base. SFV offers new characters and the possibility to get them for free, if you put enough time into the game. You can always buy them. Marvel otherwise offers you just a 30€ season pass (and since it's called First Year or something like that I guess there will be a second pass too), and considering some characters were simply cut to be offered as season pass characters (and the roster is disappointing and...well, small in my opinion), it feels like a total rip-off.

Parsnip

Blazblue Cross Tag Battle just got confirmed for Steam. So Persona on PC!
There's hope yet.

Yeah, same here.

It still baffles me that no other dev tried to shoehorn the nemesis system into their games.
Though I guess of the top of my head I can't really think of games that might gel with that kind of system, I guess no one else could either.

Grief.exe

I can't believe how long Hollow Knight is. Every time I think I'm approaching the end of the game I stumble upon a new area with just as much polish and attention to detail as the last ones.

Tizoc

It's really sad comparing SFV to MvsCI.
I would buy the second one, but really, it's like forcing myself to support a greedy company which milk the already small user base. SFV offers new characters and the possibility to get them for free, if you put enough time into the game. You can always buy them. Marvel otherwise offers you just a 30€ season pass (and since it's called First Year or something like that I guess there will be a second pass too), and considering some characters were simply cut to be offered as season pass characters (and the roster is disappointing and...well, small in my opinion), it feels like a total rip-off.

The good thing about PC gaming is that more often than not you can find cheap prices for games and get them as legally as possible.
Like MvC I for GBP 15 over @ CDKEYS~
Capcom and Marvel (Marvel released a statement that they want their games to be of good quality, but MvC I leaves much to be desired at best) dropped the ball with this game; the Season 1 DLC characters should've been in the main roster for one thing.
I like MvC I's gameplay and it is a solid game overall but its roster isn't all that impressive atm, and the visuals, while passable IMO, lack that artistic or thematic feel that UMvC3 had.

Though I guess of the top of my head I can't really think of games that might gel with that kind of system, I guess no one else could either.

Mad Max using it for vehicle combat is the only game I could really think of that would work mechanically within the story with baddies coming back with rebuilt war rigs after being defeated.

Nzyme32

I can't believe how long Hollow Knight is. Every time I think I'm approaching the end of the game I stumble upon a new area with just as much polish and attention to detail as the last ones.

Yeah I absolutely love the game. Of course now there is all the extra content to go through too.

Uzzy

It still baffles me that no other dev tried to shoehorn the nemesis system into their games.

Anything dealing with crime and gangs would probably be a great fit for the nemesis system. Procedurally generated crime families, with capos that you need to either take out or turn, leading to underbosses, leading to the boss at the top of the whole family.

MUnited83

For you.
There's hope yet.

Yeah, same here.

Mafia/Pirates games would be a perfect fit for the system imo.

Ludens

Banned
The good thing about PC gaming is that more often than not you can find cheap prices for games and get them as legally as possible.
Like MvC I for GBP 15 over @ CDKEYS~
Capcom and Marvel (Marvel released a statement that they want their games to be of good quality, but MvC I leaves much to be desired at best) dropped the ball with this game; the Season 1 DLC characters should've been in the main roster for one thing.
I like MvC I's gameplay and it is a solid game overall but its roster isn't all that impressive atm, and the visuals, while passable IMO, lack that artistic or thematic feel that UMvC3 had.

I would take it just for the story mode and for fighting in local games against my brother, since I'm not so good in multiplayer.
I liked SFV campaign, and from the demo Marvel is pretty much on the same tone, only with Marvel characters.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
An open world Punisher game that borrows from the Hitman franchise.

Rizzi

Anything dealing with crime and gangs would probably be a great fit for the nemesis system. Procedurally generated crime families, with capos that you need to either take out or turn, leading to underbosses, leading to the boss at the top of the whole family.

What franchise does WB have the rights to use that could possibly have crime families?
qL69Bjq.gif

I can't think of any.

Plesiades

Mad Max.

Max can get captured and that makes the world clock move forward. The warlords of the Wasteland are perfect for weird mechanical modifications based on what you did to them.

And they like to talk. A lot.

gelf

As someone who rates the first game very highly this concerns me about getting the sequel. I loved the surrealism and shifting between environments in the original. I did fear from the start that they would listen to certain complaints too much and produce a much more generic horror action game.

I'll get round to trying it eventually though. I fear it'll run like shit on my system right now anyway so I'll wait.

yuraya

I can see the Nemesis system working with something like Borderlands 3. Make it funny and it an being an FPS would make it refreshing.

Also Bethesda could spruce up their next rpg with some similar type of system. Tho Bethesda's take on Nemesis would probably make the game collapse on itself with bugs n stuff.

dex3108

Also The Evil Within 2 is 3rd game in a row from Bethesda that will have really low sales on PC. Currently it sits at 35K sold copies after two SteamSpy updates.

Monooboe

Same here, I'm constantly impressed with the game and then considering that their asking price is only 15€ it makes it so damn sweet.

Top Bottom