• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

kai3345

Banned
samusx said:
2e1epoj.gif
uh, no shit?

KevinCow

Banned
-Eddman- said:
And according to the anime, Kirby is the same species as Meta Knight, just in a juvenile form.

I don't know about the juvenile form thing, but Kirby being the same species as Meta Knight has always been a thing. When you beat him in Kirby's Adventure, his mask falls off and he's just a different colored Kirby.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
LyR said:
not really mindblowing but back in the early till late 90's (where videogames didn't require pseudo-Hollywood production values to be considered 5-star games) many games used/shared the same SFX sound libraries...

back in the days there weren't many SFX Packs you could licence and many studios couldn't afford to create/record "ALL" of them inhouse

you can find the weirdest examples

Systems Shock 2 and Drakan (proof)

Outcast and Crazy Taxi (the UUAAAAAA scream)
The scream that you hear 83 seconds in is heard frequently in Carmageddon 2 as well :D

Mike M

Nick N
SalsaShark said:
Not mindblowing, but i just read about the first game that ever had a 3D zoomable first-person sniper rifle, at first i thought it was goldeneye, but guess what:

mdk1.jpg

:D

never realized this
I actually remember a comment from Dave Perry (Think that was his name... The founder of Shiny at any rate) about how he was amused that it was called a "sniper weapon" when you picked it up (Uh... I wasn't?) in Goldeneye and something about not being upset that the game didn't give MDK credit or something.

To my teenaged self, it looked like he was actually trying to take credit for inventing the act if sniping and naming it such. I penned a furious missive to N64.com on the subject.

Vally

wohd.jpg

After having played countless hours of Wipeout HD's Zone mode I just realized those blue lights on the side of the ship are actually the energy gauges. Maybe not so mindblowing, but I feel ashamed of myself for not noticing it before.

Carnby

i just noticed that every GTA game has a helicopter in the top left corner of the cover art (starting with GTA 3.)

Jucksalbe

Banned
Vally said:
After having played countless hours of Wipeout HD's Zone mode I just realized those blue lights on the side of the ship are actually the energy gauges. Maybe not so mindblowing, but I feel ashamed of myself for not noticing it before.

I haven't even noticed those blue lights.

Carnby

Raide said:
I thought China Town Wars had a bike?

you are right. this would mean that top down view GTA's are exempt from this rule, as GTA 1 and 2 and London do not have a helicopter on the cover.

stay gold

Yesterday I discovered that the floating cubes on PS2 startup represent memory card data, and the more full your memory card is the more cubes there are. Can't believe i've had a PS2 since launch and never noticed this.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Gravijah said:
He does have a beard, though. How can he shave when he never takes his helmet off?
Good to hear that. Nothing is manlier than a flowing beard.

Jasoco

Banned
Talladega Knight said:
New Super Mario Bros. 3ds
If they do, I will buy a 3DS right then and there. It doesn't even need to be 3D. (By which I mean utilize the 3D for a 2.5D look with the backgrounds in the distance and everything else up front, though that would be cool.)

If they don't, I will cry and probably not buy a 3DS for a loooong time.

Link Man said:
You need to study up on your Roman Numerals.
I'm a Final Fantasy fan, I know my Roman numerals. But a lot of Wii game have 'ii' in the title... It's nonsense.

Now "Ur mr Gay", THAT was mindblowing.

seat

Link Man said:
Something I just realized:

Judging by this, I can guess where the 3rd one is going to go.
Doubt it was intentional, but if that blows your mind... well, okay, sure, why not?

You know, I made a post in this thread a long time ago about how in Mike Tyson's Punch Out, you have to survive the dynamite punches for 91 seconds and that's because that's the exact time it took Tyson to destroy Micheal Spinks in the ring. I was just looking at that video again because of this thread and as it turns out I got it wrong.
The video game came out a year BEFORE Tyson did that, which just makes it more hilarious to me that Spinks got pummeled in that exact time.
If you haven't seen that video on Youtube, it's great. Seven minutes of buildup and then the shortest and most one-sided title fight ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aASFYQOUCEU

BobTheFork said:
You know, I made a post in this thread a long time ago about how in Mike Tyson's Punch Out, you have to survive the dynamite punches for 91 seconds and that's because that's the exact time it took Tyson to destroy Micheal Spinks in the ring. I was just looking at that video again because of this thread and as it turns out I got it wrong.
The video game came out a year BEFORE Tyson did that, which just makes it more hilarious to me that Spinks got pummeled in that exact time.
If you haven't seen that video on Youtube, it's great. Seven minutes of buildup and then the shortest and most one-sided title fight ever.
That's a hell of a catch, and an eerie coincidence.

I watched that fight live. Man, the memories. Well, memory. Fight was too short to have plural memories. And that elbow at 5:08 was some Dirty Bull. haha

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Something minor, when played in higher resolutions you can actually make out that the super scope has the original logo on it. Sorry if this is well known and such.

Dolphin%202011-01-27%2018-48-39-57.png

BobTheFork said:
I like how Spinks' eyes are completely rolled into the back of his head. Dude got rocked and Tyson didn't even break a sweat.

Top Bottom