• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

KevinRo

wwm0nkey said:
Ok I will give you that one lol

Still though Halo 2 online will never be topped.

Cons:
Standbye. Super jumping. Dummy glitching. Missed beatdowns.

Pros:
Butterflying. Rocketsword jumping. Grenade reloading. Double Shooting. BxR, BxB.

Just thought I'd pop in and do a little introduction for the new Juniors.

I am -Yeti. In the land of XBL I am known as RebornYeti. Add me if you wish.

My favorite map from Halo CE is Blood Gulch. Such a classic map for pretty much anything. I even enjoyed the Plasma Pistol starts on that map! Favorite weapon was of course the Pistol. CE is my favorite of the Halos.

Favorite map from Halo 2 is Waterworks. So many good memories of BTB on that map. 1 Flag CTF was the shit. Favorite weapon was of course the BR. Halo 2 is my 3rd favorite Halo.

Favorite map from Halo 3 is Valhalla. I'm sure you're starting to notice a theme here. It's like Blood Gulch, but only slightly not as good. Many memories on that map. Favorite weapon was the Covenant Carbine. (wut) Halo 3 is my 2nd favorite Halo.

Favorite map from ODST was Lost Platoon. Many attempts at getting that damn Heroic vidmaster Achievement happened on that map. Favorite weapon was the Covenant Carbine. ODST is my least favorite Halo.

And lastly, my favorite map from Reach is actually Reflection. I've always had a good time on that map, which is kinda weird because I hated Ivory Tower from Halo 2. Favorite weapon is the Needler Rifle. I love the supercombine! Reach is my 4th favorite Halo.

Oh, and to add to the AR vs. BR debate, I really don't care because I like them both!

Tawpgun

Tashi0106 said:
That's just nostalgia speaking...
For anyone whose played it, nothing will top it.

If you talk about this stuff from a purely neutral standpoint you can argue many games are better than Halo 2. But everyone who has played it agrees it had SOMETHING to it that no other game since has had...

Also, I'd make the comparison that at least in terms of sheer popularity, CoD is the new Halo 2. It sucks for all the people this generation that will never experience the variety of gameplay and things to do in Halo 2 and its community at that time....

A27 Tawpgun said:

If you talk about this stuff from a purely neutral standpoint you can argue many games are better than Halo 2. But everyone who has played it agrees it had SOMETHING to it that no other game since has had...

Also, I'd make the comparison that at least in terms of sheer popularity, CoD is the new Halo 2. It sucks for all the people this generation that will never experience the variety of gameplay and things to do in Halo 2 and its community at that time....
*raises hand* Um, yeah... Halo 3 raised the bar in every respect (aside from arguably the maps).

Alienshogun said:
You, me, quake 1, DM3, default skins, first to 25.

Final destination.

Holy crap I actually think I would destroy people here at Quake. Unless theres a quake semi pro around. :p

Someone posted the Tom Morello text last page, its insane how much has changed yet how much has stayed the same. I actually think his version of the opening level seems a little more interesting. I think the starting level is the worst starting it could have been as it stands. Why the hell is everyone so passive about the Covenant being on Reach? A suprise attack which split noble up and required you to pick them all up could have been cool... it could have been more like picking up the peices - there could have been more surprise and intrigue to it.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Dax01 said:
*raises hand* Um, yeah... Halo 3 raised the bar in every respect (aside from arguably the maps).
The BR blew ass with that shitty spread, to the point that Bungie had to inform everyone why it sucked.

Striker said:
Arguably? lol
Gameplay trumps maps for me. I mentioned this earlier, but I miss Halo 3's maps more than Halo 2's because I had so much fun playing the actual game. For me, the best memories of Halo 2 were doing glitches.

Sai-kun

Banned
-Yeti said:
Just thought I'd pop in and do a little introduction for the new Juniors.

I am -Yeti. In the land of XBL I am known as RebornYeti. Add me if you wish.

My favorite map from Halo CE is Blood Gulch. Such a classic map for pretty much anything. I even enjoyed the Plasma Pistol starts on that map! Favorite weapon was of course the Pistol. CE is my favorite of the Halos.

Favorite map from Halo 2 is Waterworks. So many good memories of BTB on that map. 1 Flag CTF was the shit. Favorite weapon was of course the BR. Halo 2 is my 3rd favorite Halo.

Favorite map from Halo 3 is Valhalla. I'm sure you're starting to notice a theme here. It's like Blood Gulch, but only slightly not as good. Many memories on that map. Favorite weapon was the Covenant Carbine. (wut) Halo 3 is my 2nd favorite Halo.

Favorite map from ODST was Lost Platoon. Many attempts at getting that damn Heroic vidmaster Achievement happened on that map. Favorite weapon was the Covenant Carbine. ODST is my least favorite Halo.

And lastly, my favorite map from Reach is actually Reflection. I've always had a good time on that map, which is kinda weird because I hated Ivory Tower from Halo 2. Favorite weapon is the Needler Rifle. I love the supercombine! Reach is my 4th favorite Halo.

Oh, and to add to the AR vs. BR debate, I really don't care because I like them both!

Ugh, are we doing introductions like this now? Mine was so boring before :(

Hi, I'm Sai-kun, resident Gaga-fanatic. My GT is "Sai kun" but I think my friends list is full from playing with other GAFfers so...:x *awkward*

My favorite map in CE was probably Gephyrophobia. I frakking LOVE bridges. My other favorite was probably Boarding Action. Love. It.

My favorite map in 2 was Relic, followed closely by Terminal. I really liked Gemini, as well. My favorite weapon in 2 was the BR, I guess. I didn't really enjoy 2 that much.

My favorite maps in 3 were probably Narrows and High Ground, since I have super fond memories of playing those two maps over system link before the game was even out! Favorite weapon was the Splaser.

My favorite maps in Reach are Countdown, Sword Base, and Anchor 9. Small maps perfect for Jetpacking around and assassinating folks :D My favorite weapon is still the Splaser, but I love the pistol as well.

AR vs. BR = Usually BR because I hate having an AR when someone else has a BR, but if everyone has ARs, I'm cool with that.

I can't wait for this quarter to be over so I can play this game with you guys :(

A Halo 2 remake without the button glitches and a harder to use Sniper would be arguably the best game ever. If they could throw in all the Halo series maps that would be a cherry on top. Make it happen 343!

Actually a compilation set of perfect remakes of Halo 1 and Halo 2 both with live enabled play would be awesome.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
bobs99 ... said:
Holy crap I actually think I would destroy people here at Quake. Unless theres a quake semi pro around. :p

Someone posted the Tom Morello text last page, its insane how much has changed yet how much has stayed the same. I actually think his version of the opening level seems a little more interesting. I think the starting level is the worst starting it could have been as it stands. Why the hell is everyone so passive about the Covenant being on Reach? A suprise attack which split noble up and required you to pick them all up could have been cool... it could have been more like picking up the peices - there could have been more surprise and intrigue to it.

I dunno, bud. I was really really good. That said, it's been a long time.

Striker

Plywood said:
The BR blew ass with that shitty spread, to the point that Bungie had to inform everyone why it sucked.
The weapons were near identical in most aspects. Only they completely made dual wielding less used, brought in the AR which was shit, nerfed the BR, and beefed up the Needler, Carbine, and Brute Shot. Oh, the Spartan Laser. That was a great addition.

Even aside, the maps in 2 absolutely shit on 3's. In every regard.

Kujo

I loved the original contesting system in Halo 2. I remember a 30 minute round of CTF on Headlong. People seemed much more eager to do objectives in H2. These days people are too concerned about their KD ratio to really care. I wish Objective gametypes didn't record any KD stuff, maybe just have stats on flag cap/armed/time in hill ratio per game

Karl2177

bobs99 ... said:
The 2009 VGA trailer made it seem like Noble team was getting ready to go fight the Covenant, and now it seems more along the lines of: "Let's go find those missing troopers in this valley. Oh hey, Covenant. That's cool, we gotta find those missing troopers!"

wwm0nkey

Karl2177 said:
The 2009 VGA trailer made it seem like Noble team was getting ready to go fight the Covenant, and now it seems more along the lines of: "Let's go find those missing troopers in this valley. Oh hey, Covenant. That's cool, we gotta find those missing troopers!"
I hated how calm it was when it was revealed the Covenant was attacking Reach. Still pisses me off.

GhaleonEB

wwm0nkey said:
Well you are a crazy person Dax :)
I think Halo 3 categorically trumps its predecessor in every category, map design aside. (And by the end of its run, the BTB maps got close, if not on par.)

don't forget to shower, Shogun
Tunavi said:
Why did Bungie decide to leave the huge explosion OUT of the actual game? THAT would have been the greatest introduction to the Covenant ever and the game should have started like that. Turns out we were stuck on a farm with a random soldier softly saying, "The Covenant is on Reach."
What explosion?

Tunavi

Banned
Why did Bungie decide to leave the huge explosion OUT of the actual game? THAT would have been the greatest introduction to the Covenant ever and the game should have started like that. Turns out we were stuck on a farm with a random soldier softly saying, "The Covenant is on Reach."

Edit: Beaten

And yes Bungie, we all wanted civilians in the Halo games, but you really overdid it. It felt like half of the objectives were just rescuing civilians. Nothing Sci-fi about it.

GhaleonEB

wwm0nkey said:
I hated how calm it was when it was revealed the Covenant was attacking Reach. Still pisses me off.
It was decidedly anti-climactic. It's one of my issues with the game: there is no context for the fight, and no sense of the stakes.

Things I learned about Reach in the game:

• It is an earth-like planet with Hungarian farms, some big cities and also lots of military stuff.
  • Something called the Covenant find it and it's not really a big deal at first, until they start killing everyone.

Things I know about Reach from the expanded fiction that should have been put into the game:

• We've been at war with the Covenant for years. We're losing, badly.
  • Reach is the UNSC military shipyard and home of the Spartan program.
  • We're not the only Spartans on Reach.
  • It's the closest the Covenant have ever come to Earth.
  • No planet found by the Covenant has survived. Their arrival is a death sentence for millions (I'm sorry, it means "this whole valley just turned into a free-fire zone".)

I never had any sense of the stakes in the game, why it mattered in the big picture that Reach was important. Even an ODST-style crawl would have helped contextualize the events a bit more.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
A27 Tawpgun said:

I played more Halo 2 than I did Halo 3.
16,000 matches lol ... :/
The highs in Halo 2 were some of the highest in the series but the lows are the absolutely lowest in the series. I'm talking just from the experience. Rank resets, rampant cheating, horrible lag, super bouncing. When you add in the features that Halo 3 introduced into the game, there's really no comparison.

Also, Halo 2 Vista doesn't count. That's fuckin Lala land.

Also, Stream is up. MLG.

http://www.justin.tv/tashiii

Kuroyume

Banned
- No Hitscan
- Slower speed
- Gadgets/Tools whatever they were called
- Latency issues
- Lasers
- Shitty bomb arming system
- Worst playlist management in the history of mankind.

I could go on. Halo 3 was awful.

*sigh* Well, here goes nothin'.

Hello, my (user)name is Im_So_Pringles, as you probably know by now, and I just recently got activated. I won't bore you with other information, unless it is actually wanted. Maybe then I would go into a bit more detail.

Please, by all means, include me in the "New Juniors That Have Been Lurking For Quite a While and Are Looking To Become a Part of Halogaf Due To Lack of RL Friends That Play Halo" list. (I lost all of mine to COD quite a while ago, and only have one "Halo Friend."

I'm looking forward to actually being able to participate in discussion and playing with you guys. I'm quite confident in my Halo skill, but I'm not sure if I can stack up to the more "pro" guys in here ;)

Oh, I almost forgot!

(Halo 3) BR>>>>>>>>>>AR!

(Halo Reach) Pistol>>>>>>>>>>>AR!

(Halo Reach) Nerfle>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DMR! (It's true!)

Armor Lock also sucks.

PS: First person to guess where I got the idea for my username gets a virtual cookie.

PSS: Would someone be so kind as to PM me the rules about "hotlinking images" and the like? I've seen that mentioned every once in a while and I couldn't find details in the TOS. I don't really understand what that means. Thanks ahead of time!

Junior Member HaloGAF Reach Social is now on.
Send me a friend request, and I'll invite you to the game.

I don't know how late I can stay up tonight, but I hope to play a few games with you guys.

I've got my carrots, Hidden Valley ranch, grape cranberry juice and a fresh set of pants for when the Fiber Monster strikes.

Ken

Hi guys. Another new junior here. Been lurking the Halo threads mostly so I figured it would be appropriate to make my first post here.

GT is Chocopolka. If anyone wants to play Reach (or any other games), feel free to add me. Not great at Reach though but I am usually up for any playlist.

BR
48 in Lone Wolves
Foundation
Halo: CE's Blood Gulch

Tunavi

Banned
Hitmonchan107 said:
Junior Member HaloGAF Reach Social is now on.
Send me a friend request, and I'll invite you to the game.

I don't know how late I can stay up tonight, but I hope to play a few games with you guys.

I've got my carrots, Hidden Valley ranch, grape cranberry juice and a fresh set of pants for when the Fiber Monster strikes.

I will try to get on after work at 12 eastern

Fathead

Tashi0106 said:
Welcome!

AR or BR?

Highest level in Halo 3 and what playlist?

Favorite Halo 2 map?

Favorite Halo series map?

Hello Everyone.

To answer the questions:

Totally situational but the BR is what I use the most.

38 TS

Probably Midship

Sidewinder.

Striker

wwm0nkey said:
Will still have shitty bloom though =/
From what I've seen, the Needle Rifle and Pistol will be premier weapons for it. At least in this version.

N0F's version could be completely different, and less entertaining, heh.

wwm0nkey

Striker said:
From what I've seen, the Needle Rifle and Pistol will be premier weapons for it. At least in this version.

N0F's version could be completely different, and less entertaining, heh.
Hmmm might not be that bad then. Still to be honest im just going to stick on Halo 2 Vista for awhile. Ive been having a blast in the past few days of playing it, community might be small but god damn its still so much fun.

GhaleonEB said:
It was decidedly anti-climactic. It's one of my issues with the game: there is no context for the fight, and no sense of the stakes.

• It is an earth-like planet with Hungarian farms, some big cities and also lots of military stuff.
  • Something called the Covenant find it and it's not really a big deal at first, until they start killing everyone.

Things I know about Reach from the expanded fiction that should have been put into the game:

• No planet found by the Covenant has survived. Their arrival is a death sentence for millions (I'm sorry, it means "this whole valley just turned into a free-fire zone".)

I never had any sense of the stakes in the game, why it mattered in the big picture that Reach was important. Even an ODST-style crawl would have helped contextualize the events a bit more.

Yeah I totally agree. From the pre-release interviews, previews, and information, Bungie was saying that they were trying to go back to making the Covenant more 'alien' and terrifying. The only time I ever really felt a sense of menace or 'fear' from the Covenant was the first time the Ultra Elites came through the fields in 'Winter Contingency'. Other than that first exposure however, the Covenant never really felt overly alien or intimidating to me. Maybe it's difficult to make them have that sense of terror now, because after four games players have become too familiar with the way the Covenant move and react. Even though the animations were updated with Reach, I still felt as though I knew exactly how they were going to respond to my actions.

It probably doesn't help that you play as a Spartan super soldier so your perception of just how terrifying the Covenant should be isn't totally accurate as a player. I understand not wanting to veer away too far from the established standard that Bungie has set for the Covenant forces and overall theme, but at the same time maybe they should have tried some other things in upping the 'scare-factor' of the Elites/Hunters/Brutes.

I do have to say that the Skirmishers made a nice addition to spice up the Covenant forces though.

Ken said:
Hi guys. Another new junior here. Been lurking the Halo threads mostly so I figured it would be appropriate to make my first post here.

GT is Chocopolka. If anyone wants to play Reach (or any other games), feel free to add me. Not great at Reach though but I am usually up for any playlist.

BR
48 in Lone Wolves
Foundation
Halo: CE's Blood Gulch

This dude's good at Reach. And welcome Choco.

Tawpgun

GhaleonEB said:

God yes. I don't know who picked that marine to do that delivery.

[monotone]The covenant are on reach. I repeat, the covenant are on reach[/monotone]

The guy sounds as if the covenant landing on GODDAMN REACH ruined his afternoon plans or something.

It should have started out with absolute chaos. I mean I would have started the game out with a bang, and not stumbling upon the GODDAMN COVENANT on some farm.

If they wanted to keep that aspect they could have at least created a sense of urgency about warning the planet. It should have been utter chaos. How did they get here, how is this possible?

I too was extremely disappointed in all of that, as I was with the civilian aspect and the whole "Planet is a character" thing they were stressing. Oh well. It was still a fun campaign, I'm not gonna hate, I just feel it could have been SO much more.

Havok

Ron Livingston's Reach Marine isn't super enthusiastic, sure, but it's just because he forgot to file those TPS reports with the correct cover sheet again. That'll dishearten anyone.

office-space.jpg

"Mayday! 3 Charlie Six, does anyone read? We were attacked by Covenant forces. The Covenant is on Reach. I repeat: the Covenant is on Reach."

Bill+Lumbergh.jpg

"Mmmmm...kay, great."

Tawpgun

Havok said:
Ron Livingston's Reach Marine isn't super enthusiastic, sure, but it's just because he forgot to file those TPS reports with the correct cover sheet again. That'll dishearten anyone.

office-space.jpg

"Mayday! 3 Charlie Six, does anyone read? We were attacked by Covenant forces. The Covenant is on Reach. I repeat: the Covenant is on Reach."

Bill+Lumbergh.jpg

"Mmmmm...kay, great."

oh my god.

Laughed really hard. I didn't even know it was Ron Livingston.

Top Bottom