• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's Prey 2: Pray Harder confirmed (2012) [Update: HAHAHAHA post 107, 430]

Dyno

Ahh Prey! It along with Elder Scrolls IV were the first two games I bought for my 360. It was a glorious time of 'next-gen' gaming and Prey brung it!

Cool weapons, messed up scenarios, nicel gameplay, and some very memorable moments. I don't know how well it has stood up (perhaps it's better to remain a memory) but for the fun it gave me I'm definitely looking forward to see what they'll do.

And idTech? Very nice.

Don't Fear The Reaper. That intro scene is one of the most memorable setpieces this generation. Hopefully the intro to Prey 2 will be equally cool.

Oh you can play Blackjack and some other games in the arcades at the bar too.

derFeef

Neuromancer said:
Don't Fear The Reaper. That intro scene is one of the most memorable setpieces this generation. Hopefully the intro to Prey 2 will be equally cool.

So many memorable moments. Like the boss fight itself - after you finish it and move on - HOLY SHIT!

Stumpokapow said:
Heh, apparently Bethesda bought the rights to the Prey franchise in September 2009. I didn't know that and judging from this thread no one else did.

There was artwork and direct mention of Prey 2 back then. So something surfaced, but I can't remember if it was deemed dead or cancelled at that point, and no one expected it back.

I think I'm going to replay this when I get home tonight... just as soon as I finish replaying Oblivion.

Curse you Bethesda!

How many hours of my life must I give you?

DangerStepp

Neuromancer said:

Totally agree. I remember it being quite a nice looking game at the time for Xbox 360 and I had a good time playing it. I approve of this sequel.

Xater

provo57 said:
We're getting Doom 4 first I believe. Maybe they could have Raven do it again?
Impossible. Id is part of Zenimax and they will not give one of their titles to an Activision owned developer. I also think that id said they will handle their IPs themselves from now on.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Xater said:
Impossible. Id is part of Zenimax and they will not give one of their titles to an Activision owned developer. I also think that id said they will handle their IPs themselves from now on.
In my fantasy world Id bought Raven and made them their Team 2 to work on side series and their own series that were born on Id's engines.

derFeef

Stallion Free said:
In my fantasy world Id bought Raven and made them their Team 2 to work on side series and their own series that were born on Id's engines.
Raven is a good dev, - wasted on doing COD :(
Q4 was great, and so is Singularity.

I was totally blown away with Prey 1 after going in half expecting a bad experience. Multiplayer was a lot of fun too.

Fun fact: Prey was the first to have in & out portals before Valve's Portal used it.

Question to those who might know: Wasn't this game in development for like 10 years before it released?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
derFeef said:
Raven is a good dev, - wasted on doing COD :(
Q4 was great, and so is Singularity.
God your taste is immaculate. Q4 holds up phenomenally in the in door areas. I did an Id Tech 4 re-playthrough a year or two ago where I rolled through D3/Q4/Prey. It was fantastic.

Raven could have done amazing things under Id's loving wing. It's gonna suck not getting a Singularity sequel because of Acti.

Hellshadow said:
You sure about that?

Anyways its too bad Prey isn't on Steam anymore. Would love another playthrough.
Quake 4 is a pop-corn shooter. Doesn't mean it's triple-A tier stuff, but it's still fun as hell and has warranted 2 going on 3 playthroughs from me. Also, retail Prey CD-keys can be registered on Steam.

Hellshadow said:
On and off, yes.

I just looked in Wiki' and supposedly this is how Prey looked in 97...

220px-Earlyprey.jpg

I started playing the first one recently. Steam says I'm an hour in. Is this whole thing as corridor-y as the first hour?

Hellshadow said:
Anyways its too bad Prey isn't on Steam anymore. Would love another playthrough.
I bought it through another site for like 1.98 recently and the key registers on Steam.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Prey was so fucking good. Level design was immaculate and super creative, and the weapons were pretty fun for being entirely of the alien variety. I'm glad the original team is still working on this.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Buttonbasher said:
I started playing the first one recently. Steam says I'm an hour in. Is this whole thing as corridor-y as the first hour?
The levels open up a bit more, but it is very much a linear shooter.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
likedamaster said:
I was totally blown away with Prey 1 after going in half expecting a bad experience. Multiplayer was a lot of fun too.

Fun fact: Prey was the first to have in & out portals before Valve's Portal used it.

Question to those who might know: Wasn't this game in development for like 10 years before it released?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L29DSSQT3Ek

Good times.

Jay Sosa

Yeaaaaaah :D

LOVED the first one. This is getting better and better. First The Darkness gets a sequel, now Prey. All I need now is my Mirrors Edge 2.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Jay Sosa said:
Yeaaaaaah :D

LOVED the first one. This is getting better and better. First The Darkness gets a sequel, now Prey. All I need now is my Mirrors Edge 2.
But The Darkness 2 isn't being made by the original team which is a huge factor in my hype for these projects. When I saw that Human Head was working on this and using Id Tech, I was fucking delighted.

Malio

Completely un-excited. 'Prey' and 'Dark Sector', the only two shooters I bought for the 360, that I wish I hadn't.

Jay Sosa

Stallion Free said:
But The Darkness 2 isn't being made by the original team which is a huge factor in my hype for these projects. When I saw that Human Head was working on this and using Id Tech, I was fucking delighted.

Yeah I'm a bit concerned as well (regarding TD2) but I think they'll do a fine job.

Ashkeloth

As a single-player only gamer when it comes to shooters, looking back at Prey, when it was first released, I thought it was a little mundane, but nowadays, compared to all of the crap that gets passed off as single player components of FPS', it was actually really pretty good with a decent story and some nice details.

Maybe it's just a case of lowered standards, though, considering how unmemorable most single players shooting campaigns are nowadays.

Afrikan

GREAT! but I still need to finish the first one on my Playsta......oh.....um, can we expect a comic book thingy or somethin?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Afrikan said:
GREAT! but I still need to finish the first one on my Playsta......oh.....um, can we expect a comic book thingy or somethin?
The first one is on Id Tech 4. An engine that debuted at retail in 2004. I'm pretty sure just about any computer sold today can run the game.

Also, there isn't going to be some save import with your decisions that you will miss out on.

Really a horrible comparison.

LiK

Stallion Free said:
It was a blog that now that I am thinking about it hasn't been updated in forever. It's by the guy who did that massive HL2 comic series about Gordon Frohman.
Ah ok

This is going to be fucking awesome. I loved the original game so much. It got a little confusing at times with all the teleportation - kind of disorientating, but the story, weapons, and atmosphere were off the charts.

Can't wait to see some media for this. Also yay for Id tech, glad it's not stuck on UE3 or something.

Afrikan

Stallion Free said:
The first one is on Id Tech 4. An engine that debuted at retail in 2004. I'm pretty sure just about any computer sold today can run the game.

Also, there isn't going to be some save import with your decisions that you will miss out on.

Really a horrible comparison.

just joking man, I'm pretty excited to be honest with you...Prey 1 was one of the few 360 early titles I was interested back in the day. It seemed like it flew under the radar for most for some reason. :/

Ryan_IGN

Uh, guys, the press release doesn't say ANYTHING about id Tech 5.

Also, the game is very, VERY different than what you think it is. I'll be curious to hear your reactions when you read our feature story.

derFeef

Ryan_OXM said:

Also, the game is very, VERY different than what you think it is. I'll be curious to hear your reactions when you read our feature story.
Whaaat. :/

Nizz

Ryan_OXM said:

If there's no wall/ceiling walking I will be disappointed. Also, I find it crazy they aren't using idTech5. I guess since Rage isn't done yet the engine's not finalized? I'm not sure idTech 4 likes to play nice with PS3. Although Brink I think uses idTech 4 and that's looking pretty good...

Spoo

Very possible the game is running on idtech 4 -- especially if it was already started back in the radar days. And, you know, all their portal tech was already established.

Spoo said:
Very possible the game is running on idtech 4 -- especially if it was already started back in the radar days. And, you know, all their portal tech was already established.
If it was using IDtech 4, it would probably be out already.

Top Bottom