• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Japanese Launch Thread

Don't know the length of Steel Diver, but I'm certainly concerned looking at Pilotwings Resort.

Then again, there are still the free flight modes, which most likely add replayability to it all.

Right now, my purchases look like: Pilotwings Resort, Steel Diver, and Monster Tale (Yeah, a DS game, but dammit it's good).

Rich!

I can finish Pilotwings SNES in a couple of hours, and it's one of my favourite games ever.

I'm not worried at all about Resort.

FoneBone

Ghost Recon still getting no love from you guys. It's still the only launch title for which I'd even consider paying full price, and I can't believe I'm just about the only one saying that.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Maldoror said:
Almost no one's talking about it, but hey, Samurai Warriors Chronicles seems to be a pretty decent launch game, and a solid Musou one (close to the home consoles iterations in terms of quality). Might get this on day one, along with SSFIV.
Samurai Warriors seems to be flying under the radar, but from what I've seen it looks very solid. Definitely picking it up at launch.

marc^o^ said:
You have the game already? Cooool. So it seems you are a bit closer to the end than NGamer was. Is it becoming tedious or repetitive to go for the perfect scores, or do you think the game is worth it?

The game is relaxing and cool to play in short-ish rounds, but I feel like there isn't much to it really. The hangglider missions are phenomenal, but then again the jet pack ones are often tiresome. the vehicles will surely have their own fans and haters, I guess.

But the length of the game is way too short. I don't know if I unlock something new when I get all the stars, but I somehow doubt it - the only stuff I've unlocked to now has been extra seconds to the "Free" Mode and some dioramas of the vehicles.

Fake edit:
"Free Flight Mode: 36:30"
"Mission Mode: 1:02:59"
Read into that as you please.

FoneBone

Coin Return said:
Samurai Warriors seems to be flying under the radar, but from what I've seen it looks very solid. Definitely picking it up at launch.
I've heard it's really, really repetitive (even for the series).

Mafro

FoneBone said:
Ghost Recon still getting no love from you guys. It's still the only launch title for which I'd even consider paying full price, and I can't believe I'm just about the only one saying that.
It doesn't help that there's barely any previews or anything for it. The only thing I've seen is the interview on IGN.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
FoxHimself said:
The game is relaxing and cool to play in short-ish rounds, but I feel like there isn't much to it really. The hangglider missions are phenomenal, but then again the jet pack ones are often tiresome. the vehicles will surely have their own fans and haters, I guess.

But the length of the game is way too short. I don't know if I unlock something new when I get all the stars, but I somehow doubt it - the only stuff I've unlocked to now has been extra seconds to the "Free" Mode and some dioramas of the vehicles.

Fake edit:
Thanks, I'll pass. Even Nintendogs seems to have more content.

Amir0x

Banned
FoxHimself said:

Fake edit:

wow.

Ok, so anyone know when DreamTrigger is launching? How long after launch?

Amir0x said:
In this latest Monkey Ball, I've seen railed-in courses even on later worlds.
In which control scheme? I read somewhere that the levels were changed depending on whether you were playing with motion controls or the analogue stick. Though I have yet to read how they are changed.

FoneBone

Amir0x said:
wow.

Ok, so anyone know when DreamTrigger is launching? How long after launch?
Don't think there's been a formal announcement. Gamestop lists it for April 1st, which is definitely just a placeholder. Amazon lists it for April 26, which is a Tuesday, and probably legit.

heringer

FoxHimself said:

Fake edit:
Are you planning on getting Steel Diver? I think the release is next week?

miksar said:
At least with such a line-up there is no excuse for poor Okamiden sales - if anything, 3DS launch should be a boost.

Huh?
It's come out between Pokemon and the 3DS. Regardless of what the launch lineup is, the game is screwed.

Santiako

FoneBone said:

It's the game I have preordered with the system. I LOVE Tactics games like it.

Finally got hands on with this, and the Aqua Blue is definitely a bit more green than blue, turquoise I guess. Still, will be getting Black for sure now.

IMG00119-20110314-1336.jpg

Still getting SSF4 and PW here.
I don't care how "short" it is.
The PW games were always short, but the fun was in replaying them, much like other score based games.

Boney

Banned
In Ghost Recon I trust.

I've only played PilotWings on the SNES, but that's incredibly short as well. I'm curious if this one will be as infinately replayable as the old ones. If that's covered, I'm in.

I will do a public service to prevent people from wasting their money on Monkey Ball. Based on Step and Roll, which seems similar to this entry:

1. "It's a good value! 80 levels and 2 minigames!"
Monkey Ball minigames are not like you remember them on gamecube. The wii version minigames were borderline unplayable at best, worse than the worst shovelware minigame compilation on the system. Sega doesn't get the benefit of the doubt this time based on track record.

And the 80 levels? In Step and Roll, there was NO challenge until 70 levels in out of 80. The levels are a minute long, and the vast majority are completed first try. It took me 2 hours max to get to level 74 at which point I quit because step and roll is terrible. Chances are we are looking at a similar length and difficulty curve here. There's an impression from a japan gaffer in this very thread who confirms there was no challenge until level 70 something.

2. "I heard there's different level design with motion controls and with the stick"

Again, step and roll did this. It did not remove rails, all it did was add blocks in the path seemingly randomly placed to impede your progress. If the level design was similarly gimped to accomodate motion, expect the same kinda halfhearted changes in stick mode. And as I recall, the japan gaffer said the rails were there with the stick all the way through.

I HAVE NOT PLAYED THIS GAME. But I am fairly confident the above is true based on Sega's track record. They don't deserve the benefit of the doubt considering how they butchered this series.

Effect

Damn at Pilotwings. :( I was expecting short but not that damn short. If Steel Diver is anywhere approaching that it's getting crossed off my list. That leaves SSF4 and Ridge Racer but even then I'm iffy about RR so I could just end up getting SSF4. :(

BooJoh

miksar said:
At least with such a line-up there is no excuse for poor Okamiden sales - if anything, 3DS launch should be a boost.
I imagine the Nintendo Channel Demo could have hurt the sales too. I wrote the game off as soon as I experienced the terrible D-Pad + Buttons + Stylus control scheme.

Pokemon BW on the other hand, is arguably one of the best Pokemon games, and a spectacular stopgap for people willing to play a DS game on their 3DS. I've clocked nearly 60 hours and still going strong.

FoneBone said:
I can very easily see me picking it up. Probably don't need it right at launch though. Pilotwings and Nintencats should keep me busy for at least a little while.

ombz said:
@Foxhimself
That is way too big for me. I had to zoom out quite a few times.

Sorry about that. I'm using my TV as a monitor at the moment and stupidly didn't realize the pictures would be too large.

Here's a smaller version which should show off the 3D on the 3DS quite nicely:
2q1e7ae.jpg

antonz

Why would you do that? said:
I don't know why, but I had a feeling it would be...

Hopefully America will still get it at launch, at least.
Its the first game shown in the US 3DS commercial so I dont think its going anywhere

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Disappointed to hear about the Steel Diver delay as I was hoping for some impressions on it since it seems to be the big question mark here. Hope we get some decent reviews on it before the 27th.

Izayoi

Banned
Oh yeah, forgot to cross-post my impressions from the Best Buy thread.

~ 3DS System - Aesthetics ~

- Outside shell:

The model I played around with was "Aqua Blue". I'm not sure if that's what I would call it but then again I can see how it might be hard to classify it as any one particular color. It's almost... three-tone? Incredibly hard to describe. It goes from this gorgeous dark blue at the camera edge to a really deep turquoiseish green kind of color. It's really pretty, and it looked nothing like what I had seen online. Even that video I post over and over doesn't really do it justice. It kind of conveys the two-tonedish color but the color looks all wrong on film.

- Inside shell:

A lot of people thought that the blue was going to come off as garish or distracting or contrast too much with the black, and that's just not the case. The blue looks really good in person and I had no problem with it at all. It's a different color than the top, more a kind of turquoise. It all works very well together, however, and it doesn't contrast at all. "Blends" would be a good way to put it, I think. One color just kind of melds into the other.

- Device as a whole:

Drop-dead sexy. Anyone who says it looks like a toy is either trolling or has some of the sleekest toys known to mankind, because damn. Black or blue, I don't think it really matters. It just "works". The sparkly effect seems to be greatly exaggerated in photos, and is there but very subtle in real life - and it looks very nice. Even with a giant magnet attached to the bottom it looked great. Much smaller than I was anticipating, despite the fact that I've seen tons of comparison images.

~ 3DS System - Functionality ~

- Slide pad:

Amazing. Not like the PSP at all. Has just the right amount of give and my thumb never got close to slipping off even once. Very comfy and easy to use, highly precise, and extremely responsive. Worked fantastically for Pilotwings.

- D-Pad:

Clicky and very responsive. Felt way better than my mushy DSLite D-Pad. I have no complaints about the location either. It seems like if I chose to use it for extended periods of time for whatever reason that I would have no problems in doing so.

- Buttons:

Very clicky with plenty of spring. A million times better than the DSLite. I was surprised at the Home, Select, and Start buttons being clicky. I would've thought for sure that they would be mushy, but I was pleasantly surprised. The shoulders felt great as well and seemed to have more travel than the DSLite's, which in testing them now feel rather "flat".

- Touch screen:

Works just the same as any other DS touch screen, albeit at a higher resolution. The stylus did feel rather nice, I must say. The minimap for Pilotwings was really detailed, and it's obvious that the screen has benefited from the bump in resolution.

~ 3D Effect and Screen ~

- 3D effect:

Worked perfectly. I had no problems whatsoever with it, and opted to play with the slider maxed almost the entire time - sans testing how much of an effect it had and 2D mode. Pilotwings seemed to utilize both a bit of pop-out (especially in the opening video) and "pop-in", as it were.

The best way I can describe it would be to tie a little plane model to a string and hold it in front of a window that looks outside over the landscape. The model is the plane in Pilotwings, the window is the 3DS's screen, and outside is the landscape in Pilotwings. It's like looking past the little model and seeing into this diorama.

I played with 3D maxed, like I said, and had zero problems with headaches or eyestrain, even when playing for a good half-hour straight with the effect maxed on the game that is apparently the worst for giving headaches. Granted, this is a guy who can do parallel or cross-eyed 3D images perfectly and instantly and has been doing so (at least in the case of cross-eyed) for years now. As that same person, the effect is really great. It's definitely real 3D, there are no gimmicks here. It's very pronounced and looks fantastic.

With the slider right above off, there is still a noticeable effect. However it's more like the kind of effect you get from a 3D movie. You've got the foreground action separated from the background. Kind of weak, I think. I will always be playing with the slider maxed.

- Sweet spot:

Way bigger than I thought it was going to be going off of impressions. You can hold it anywhere from around six inches in front of your face to over a foot away and the effect remains intact. Going from the top screen to the bottom screen does not break the effect at all and seems just as natural as it was with the DS.

You can rotate the system side-to-side (think like a steering wheel) quite a ways before the effect breaks. The only time you're going to have trouble maintaining it is when you twist the system forward and back (think like a mounted machine gun). There is still some give but the effect breaks much more quickly like that than it does in any other way. Hell, you could view the screen with the system tilted forward so the screen was basically on a parralel plane with your vision (think lying down and looking up at your TV from the floor right in front of it) and the effect still works just fine. That was the most surprising thing to me.

I don't think that the sweet spot is going to be a huge issue. From what I saw it was very forgiving.

- The screen itself:

Gorgeous, sharp, and very bright. Enabling 3D does dim the screen ever so slightly, but even then it was brighter than the brightest setting on my DSLite. I'm not sure what brightness they had it set on but I would imagine it was on the brightest setting. Any brighter and I would have trouble looking at it even in broad daylight. I have no doubt about where that battery life is going, that's for sure.

~ Addendum: ~

Forgot to mention the fingerprint coating. The back of the system didn't have very many so I attempted to muss it up as best I could. It took quite a bit of work to get a really impressionable fingerprint on it. You had to really jam your thumb down. After I did a fairly decent job of covering it with fingerprints I took my shirt and wiped it off, and woah. Not like my colbat DSLite at all. Instant and not a trace left.

Top Bottom