• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Japanese Launch Thread

Luigiv

DownWithTheShip said:
Anyone know how Madden is? I saw a video and it looked pretty good.
No multiplayer, no franchise mode and based of some weird American bastardisation of Rugby. Doesn't sound like it'd be worth it to me.

really curious how the old school games will look when converted for 3DS. some NES games even had stereoscopic 3D built in when they were launched in the 80's or whatever.

Luigiv said:
No multiplayer, no franchise mode and based of some weird American bastardisation of Rugby. Doesn't sound like it'd be worth it to me.

I was prepared to deal without multiplayer but no franchise is taking the piss!!

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe this is only two weeks away! Definitely in for Riiiiiidge Raaaaacer and Pilotwings at launch. I am considering Steel Diver or Monkey Ball as well depending on impressions. Want to wait for a price drop on SSFIV but I could get weak and buy it anyway. I love system launches and the last thing I got at launch was PSP so this should be exciting.

Teknoman

WonkersTHEWatilla said:
For a while I thought I was dead set on my launch list, but now I realize none of them have lasting power.

Pilotwings (lack of content from what I've been hearing)
Ridge Racer (again, lack of content and overall familiarity = short legs)
SSFIV (Could be a cool novelty for a while, but I do have the console version).

:( Rayman please be good. Lack of good adventure platformers or rpgs at launch seriously sucks.

I dunno, Pilotwings seems like it still has a decent amount of content they havent shown.

By the way, how is Ridge Racer's soundtrack? As good as Ridge Racer 6 with Floodlight and Galactic Life?

zeioIIDX

Why would you do that? said:
I remember Madden '05 for the original DS's launch. That was so bad, in many ways. You could even see the seams in the skybox...
Ugh....I remember that :( The character models were like shrunken down PS1 models!

dudeguy24

This question is kind of irrelevant to this thread, but does anybody think with the 3DS launching soon in America that there'll be a price cut on the older DS's?

Spike

dudeguy24 said:
This question is kind of irrelevant to this thread, but does anybody think with the 3DS launching soon in America that there'll be a price cut on the older DS's?

I hope so. I would love to get the XL for a cheaper price somewhere down the line.

daffy

Banned
dudeguy24 said:
Probably in the Summertime, awhile after the 3DS has released.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
WonkersTHEWatilla said:
For a while I thought I was dead set on my launch list, but now I realize none of them have lasting power.

Pilotwings (lack of content from what I've been hearing)
Ridge Racer (again, lack of content and overall familiarity = short legs)
SSFIV (Could be a cool novelty for a while, but I do have the console version).

:( Rayman please be good. Lack of good adventure platformers or rpgs at launch seriously sucks.

they're not bad for launch games. Would you rather have decently playable games that are a little short, or pen pen tri-icelon and Godzilla?

Think positively, you'll have a great (if short) time tinkering with the AR and the launch games, and then when the inevitable summer drought hits, you can still play all the DS games in your backlog. Or your backlog generally.

gkryhewy

mrklaw said:
they're not bad for launch games. Would you rather have decently playable games that are a little short, or pen pen tri-icelon and Godzilla?

Think positively, you'll have a great (if short) time tinkering with the AR and the launch games, and then when the inevitable summer drought hits, you can still play all the DS games in your backlog. Or your backlog generally.

Hey! Pen Pen was a fun game.

u_neek

Finally gonna try it out later today at Hard Rock Cafe in Copenhagen! Yes, Bergsala (Nintendo's Scandinavian distributor) is actually demoing it at Hard Rock - hopefully meaning that event won't be full of kids.

abasm

Door2Dawn said:
So I wonder is it's better to get this at launch, or just to wait until Zelda comes out or something?

Nobody knows if there will be shortages. Nintendo is relying extremely heavily on word-of-mouth marketing and public demos this time around--moreso than they ever have. One gets the impression that they are playing it safe in order to mitigate a launch rush, so that they can meet growing demand with a growing supply. All indicators point to Nintendo NOT actually marketing this thing until after it's released. With this in mind, it might be easier to find a system at launch than it will later on.

It's all up to how well you think the system will market itself in the weeks following launch. Basically, do you feel lucky, punk?

Kuran

Banned
Door2Dawn said:
So I wonder is it's better to get this at launch, or just to wait until Zelda comes out or something?

The price isn't going to change by then, so you might as well enjoy it early!

Bossman said:
According to EDGE you can complete it in 2-3 hours.

Completing it that quickly isn't a problem provided there's a compelling reason to return to it again and again - Monster nailed that with Excite Truck and I'm hoping they've done the same with Pilot Wings.

I love the interactivity of the main menu!

I really hope Nintendo continues adding new features after the May update. It has so much potential. Maybe they will even allow voice chat!

swerve

Fernando Rocker said:
I love the interactivity of the main menu!

It's really irritating on a train, bus or plane - the icons spin insanely fast constantly. I was pretty confused as to what was going on at first.

But yeah, it's cute.

In general, I feel like microphone features should be disable-able, because on Flipnote studio, I would regularly accidentally fill shapes I was creating when on public transport. Seemed like a random bug, for days, until I figured out how to do the 'blow-to-fill' command.

Effect

daakusedo said:
Like all the stars or doing all the challenges?

This is the big question. With Steel Diver as well as it's length has been mentioned to be short as well. If there are reasons to come back to these games several times then I guess it's okay. Replayability.

swerve said:
It's really irritating on a train, bus or plane - the icons spin insanely fast constantly. I was pretty confused as to what was going on at first.

But yeah, it's cute.

In general, I feel like microphone features should be disable-able, because on Flipnote studio, I would regularly accidentally fill shapes I was creating when on public transport. Seemed like a random bug, for days, until I figured out how to do the 'blow-to-fill' command.

I see.

Can it be disabled?

heringer

Effect said:
This is the big question. With Steel Diver as well as it's length has been mentioned to be short as well. If there are reasons to come back to these games several times then I guess it's okay. Replayability.
Where did you read that? If Steel Diver is short like that I will be really disappointed. :(

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Kuran said:
The price isn't going to change by then, so you might as well enjoy it early!
This is EXACTLY my reasoning.

there are two times to buy a console. At launch or on a price drop. Obviously both depend on when you have the money to spare. But the whole "I'm waiting for it to have more games" excuse is pure wishy washy, especially when the system if full BC with DS.

For me, 3DS is replacing my desire for a DSi (actually why I NEVER bought a DSi... silly of Nintendo IMHO to announce the 3DS just a couple of months after the DSi launch).

Though I am not selling my old DS phat either. So really the only DS game I'll be playing on my 3DS is Pokemon Black (damn WPA).

So far for launch it's looking like SSFIV, Pilot Wings, and maybe Samurai Warriors if it is in fact a full fledged musuo game (IIRC famitsu gave it 9/9/8/8 so it seems like it should be)

Effect

heringer said:
Where did you read that? If Steel Diver is short like that I will be really disappointed. :(

I believe it was from the Famitsu review of the game. They had a problem with the amount of content in the game. They said it was a hard game as well. Now that might lengthen it but the lack of content is a problem. I'm really looking forward to Steel Diver as well but if it's a short game I might have to take a pass. At least at the current price. This combined with Pilotwings seemingly having the same issue isn't good. I've never played Nintendogs but I assume the new version wouldn't be that different. Haven't heard any negatives about that game's length and content yet.

I just fear these two are nothing more then tech demos and not really solid "games".

daakusedo

heringer said:

We just know that there is not a lot of missions and in the second half of the game they become hard to unlock, that's from famitsu.

Effect

So it's safe to say now that both Ubisoft and EA have the worse set of launch games right? Here's hoping Activision and THQ don't join them. We need a very solid 3DS game from a major western publisher. However don't see that happening I'm afraid.

Effect said:
So it's safe to say now that both Ubisoft and EA have the worse set of launch games right? Here's hoping Activision and THQ don't join them. We need a very solid 3DS game from a major western publisher. However don't see that happening I'm afraid.

Ubisoft is acting just like with the Wii launch.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Fernando Rocker said:
Ubisoft is acting just like with the Wii launch.
at least Ubi had red steel at Wii launch.... while not a flawless game, IMHO it was a step in the right direction for the new system.

AbsoluteZero said:
Only launch game I see I'm interested in is Rayman 2/3D...hopefully they don't fuck it up like the DS port.

The only launch game I'm interested is Super Monkey Ball... Pilotwings and Steel Diver can wait for a price drop or a nice Amazon deal.

Luigiv

borghe said:
at least Ubi had red steel at Wii launch.... while not a flawless game, IMHO it was a step in the right direction for the new system.
Ubisoft is also out ahead (of EA) on the 3DS too. Rabbids looks to be a solid if unspectacular effort and Ghost Recon looks like it could be promising (I for one welcome the quick and dirty platform switch as it likely means that the game has had longer dev time then most other 3DS games).

Everything from EA on the other hand seems to be terribad.

Top Bottom