• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Japanese Launch Thread

Effect

Luigiv said:
Ubisoft is also out ahead (of EA) on the 3DS too. Rabbids looks to be a solid if unspectacular effort and Ghost Recon looks like it could be promising (I for one welcome the quick and dirty platform switch as it likely means that the game has had longer dev time then most other 3DS games).

Everything from EA on the other hand seems to be terribad.

What I'm morbidly curious about is that garden game they canceled. Just how bad could that have been to be canceled?

Effect

Boney said:
What does EA have?

FIFA Soccer (working title)
Madden NFL 3DS
The Sims 3 3DS

Just those three according to wiki. I guess The Sims could be okay. It's The Sims and as long as it doesn't have horrible load times and running speed (PSP launch Sims games) it could be okay. However Madden seems a mess and is missing all that makes a Madden game. Pure launch exploit there.

Luigiv

Effect said:
FIFA Soccer (working title)
Madden NFL 3DS
The Sims 3 3DS

Just those three according to wiki. I guess The Sims could be okay. It's the Sims and as long as it doesn't have horrible load times and running speed (PSP launch Sims games) it could be okay. However Madden seems a mess and is missing all that makes a Madden game. Pure launch exploit there.
The Sims is easily EAs worst effort. It runs at about 5fps ffs. At least Madden is boasting a really solid core, it's just a shame that said core makes the entirety of the content in the package.

Effect

Luigiv said:
The Sims is easily EAs worst effort. It runs at about 5fps ffs. At least Madden is boasting a really solid core, it's just a shame that said core makes the entirety of the content in the package.
Figures. The only video I've seen is that of the character creator which seemed decent. Though not surprised if outside of that it runs bad.

Western publishers are going to screw themselves again if they aren't careful. First impressions are everything. If only the Japanese publishers are delivering solid games they'll see all the success on the 3DS.

Boney

Banned
Seeing as PES is more fast paced arcade nature like the old ones, I'm not holding much breath for FIFA. Maybe it'll be ok.

rpmurphy

Just a couple pedantic questions: Does anything special happen when you tag the same person twice in StreetPass? Can you use repeat tags for StreetPass Quest and Puzzle?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Pilotwings' NGamer review is online:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/293361/reviews/pilotwings-resort-review/
It's something you'd want to set up, hand to sceptical friends or relatives, and enjoy their look of astonishment as they become True Believers.

Actually, all of Pilotwings Resort is amazing to look at. It's so convincingly solid, and by far the best advert so far for the machine's graphical capabilities.

If you thought lens flare, the effect pioneered on N64 and run into the ground by later consoles, was old hat, just wait 'til you see it in 3D. A cheap trick, maybe, but one that never fails to impress first-time viewers. This game has one of the loveliest sunsets we've ever seen.

Pilotwings ticks all the boxes for a launch title, insofar as it does things that couldn't be done on any other hardware and it's a lot of fun... while it lasts. Unfortunately it's as short as Wuhu Island is small.

We got at least one star in all 40 missions in little over an hour. Our current total of 85 out of 117 stars was achieved in just an hour and 45 minutes.

Wow that's one hell of a short game.

Damn, I still want it for the wow factor, but I guess this confirms that I'll be picking up street fighter too.

Fuck you for pissing me off and getting more of my money, Nintendo.

heringer

1 hour and 45 minutes? Guess I can cross Pilotwings from my list of launch games. So now it's two of four.

- Super Street Fighter IV
- LEGO Star Wars
- Steel Diver
- Winning Eleven

Neuromancer said:
Assy. I still want it but they're REALLY underdelivering by the sounds of it.
Word, I want to play it but now it's looking like a cash in and I kind of don't want to pay for it, at least not 40 bucks. Maybe when it's cheaper for me.

Yoshi256

Banned
AbsoluteZero said:
Only launch game I see I'm interested in is Rayman 2/3D...hopefully they don't fuck it up like the DS port.

I want the game to be good, but I'm quite certain that it will be a lame port.
UbiSoft never released any Ingame-videos of the game.

So I will stick to PilotWings Resort and Super Street Fighter IV 3D.

Amir0x

Banned
Yup that's why I hate launches. Content-less tech demo crap for the easily satisfied set. At least I get the satisfaction of laughing at Bizzyb for being wrong once again about the game being more than WuHu Island. Some people think so highly of Nintendo. *tee hee*

Someone needs in depth Steel Diver impressions. I do not want to hear that crap is only 3 hours long or some shit.

WillyFive

One location, and a short game?

That is disappointing.

Amir0x said:
Yup that's why I hate launches. Content-less tech demo crap for the easily satisfied set. At least I get the satisfaction of laughing at Bizzyb for being wrong once again about the game being more than WuHu Island. Some people think so highly of Nintendo. *tee hee*

Someone needs in depth Steel Diver impressions. I do not want to hear that crap is only 3 hours long or some shit.

It's not like we had a reason to expect more or anything....

Amir0x

Banned
Willy105 said:
It's not like we had a reason to expect more or anything....

You should tell Bizzyb that! Apparently Nintendo's illustrious career in always giving consumers more than they think they're getting (LOLOLOLOL) convinced him that they were just hiding all the real content from Pilotwings.

I, on the other hand, always expect the worst from Nintendo. 20 Years is enough to learn my lesson.

Amir0x said:

That's why you sould keep an eye on Super Monkey Ball...

In my opinion, it has the most value for the money at launch. 80+ levels and minigames.

Amir0x

Banned
Fernando Rocker said:
That's why you sould keep an eye on Super Monkey Ball...

In my opinion, it has the most value for the money at launch. 80+ levels and minigames.

Yeah, but I don't want a horde of crap mini-games and railed-in courses for the majority of the game. I love Monkey Ball but like Ridge Racer I'm not paying any more for sub-par entries into the series.

Steel Diver is really my only hope for the launch, but nobody has really had in-depth hands on with a final version yet...

Amir0x said:
Yeah, but I don't want a horde of crap mini-games and railed-in courses for the majority of the game. I love Monkey Ball but like Ridge Racer I'm not paying any more for sub-par entries into the series.

A horde? It only has a shitty Mario Kart clone and a shitty Smash Bros. clone.

Amir0x said:

Steel Diver is really my only hope for the launch, but nobody has really had in-depth hands on with a final version yet...

Did you play Banana Blitz or Step & Roll?

The railed courses are only on the first Worlds... I think it's the same with the 3DS version.

Amir0x

Banned
Father_Brain said:
A horde? It only has a shitty Mario Kart clone and a shitty Smash Bros. clone.

Oh I thought that was on top of the typical slate of Monkey Ball mini-games like Monkey Target and shit. Good to know they likely removed the only mini-games that were ever remotely fun too.

But yeah, the other part is more important: hand-holding, railed-in course design for a large part of the game.

Fernando Rocker said:
Did you play Banana Blitz or Step & Roll?

Yes, both were terrible. But each game they seem to design more and more easy courses and less and less legitimately challenging courses. In this latest Monkey Ball, I've seen railed-in courses even on later worlds.

I'm by no means a Pilotwings apologist, but it does say that they didn't finish the game in 1:45 - they only had 85 of 117 stars. So they didn't 'finish' it.

Additionally, it doesn't look like the sort of game that you should just 'burn' through. It looks like it would be nice to play through every so often and just do a few missions, rather than a AAA release where you just have to finish it the day you ge tit.

I still play Wii Sports Resort. Why? Because it's fun; it's a nice way of relaxing. I don't think it will appeal to the 'OMFG gotta get 100%' nature in me, personally.

Just thinking out loud, I guess. I wish it was $40 here - it's more likely to be £30, which is annoying.. You guys are lucky! :p

Jeels

I am still considering PilotWings simply because it is one of the only titles I'm interested in (Would be SFIV if I didn't have the PS3 version, would be Layton no contest if it were actually a launch title internationally), however, I am considering switching over to Super Monkey Ball simply because it seems to have more content. We'll see how the reviews pan out.

Amir0x

Banned
MarshMellow96 said:
I'm by no means a Pilotwings apologist, but it does say that they didn't finish the game in 1:45 - they only had 85 of 117 stars. So they didn't 'finish' it.

Yeah I think obviously people are estimating out of that - if it only took an hour and forty five minutes to get 85 out of 117 stars, then likely the entire game is completable in two hours and a half.

MarshMellow96 said:
Additionally, it doesn't look like the sort of game that you should just 'burn' through. It looks like it would be nice to play through every so often and just do a few missions, rather than a AAA release where you just have to finish it the day you ge tit.

I still play Wii Sports Resort. Why? Because it's fun; it's a nice way of relaxing. I don't think it will appeal to the 'OMFG gotta get 100%' nature in me, personally.

That's cool, but I think at a certain point it is clear when a developer just rushed things and there simply is not enough content on disc. Wii Sports Resort, well, I hate that game but surely there's like a trillion more things to do in that game than Pilotwings Resort. And at the end of the day, a developer has to take a certain responsibility for his failings. I think it's rather lame if they try to claim 'well, uh, you know...it's supposed to be relaxing, take your time, so that's why we didn't include a lot of content! Herp derp!'

Then any lazy developer will come around and try to claim that, well gosh darnit, they're just trying to make a different type of game (one where they don't have to spend as much money or as much effort, and they can still charge you the same amount as other games *gasp*) and cleverly disguise it as intentional.

low-G

That is short as shit for $40 but I think I still have to go with it.

It's the showpiece, the tech demo, plus I need more Pilotwings, I think I will get some serious replay value out of it.

I'd love it if the Super Monkey Ball was like SMB1 and 2 on Gamecube, but it really don't seem so. Plus they couldn't even get proper specularity on the ball and I know the 3DS can do that...

I've been playing through Pilotwings 64 for the first time recently, and although in terms of land masses it sounds as though it has Resort beat, it's pretty lacking in missions and Resort sounds like it'll have a decent amount more.
I know we should probably want more from the first game in a series for over 15 years, but given how much I've been enjoying 64 I'm sure I'll be more than happy with Resort as well.

Amir0x said:
Oh I thought that was on top of the typical slate of Monkey Ball mini-games like Monkey Target and shit. Good to know they likely removed the only mini-games that were ever remotely fun too.

But yeah, the other part is more important: hand-holding, railed-in course design for a large part of the game.

Yes, both were terrible. But each game they seem to design more and more easy courses and less and less legitimately challenging courses. In this latest Monkey Ball, I've seen railed-in courses even on later worlds.

Do you really think that?

Banana Blitz it's one of my favorite in the series. I loved the big courses. It got pretty challenging at later Worlds.

heringer

Amir0x said:

I think the Famitsu review says it's pretty short. 3 hours sounds about right. :lol

GDGF

Soothsayer
Well now I am only getting one launch game. That game is going to be SSF4, and it will be awesome (seeing as I don't own it and have only played it a few times.) I was going to get another, but my birthday is tomorrow, and St Patty's day is two days after that. GDGF gots to get fucked up.

Amir0x

Banned
Fernando Rocker said:
Do you really think that?

Banana Blitz it's one of my favorite in the series. I loved the big courses. It got pretty challenging at later Worlds.

Yes. Banana Blitz is easily the worst (non-handheld) entry in the series. To like that game is to have entirely different priorities about what makes the series good than I have. it was shit control-wise, shit course design wise, shit-extra feature wise. Every new idea they added was shit. All the courses were inferior to old course design. And the controls were the worst in the series history.

Yeah, I get nightmares thinking about. I remember being so furious at that shit. It almost made me quit the franchise for good. I think I'm getting to that point now.

heringer said:
I think the Famitsu review says it's pretty short. 3 hours sounds about right. :lol

Fuck me...

if that's the case I am really out of launch games to get now lol

GDGF said:
St Patty's day is two days after that. GDGF gots to get fucked up.

Fuck yeah! *salute*

heringer

Amir0x said:
Fuck me...

if that's the case I am really out of launch games to get now lol
Hey, there's always the AR stuff to play around... for about fifteen minutes at least.

I'm getting Super Street Fighter IV since it's the safest bet. I want a second game, but I need more LEGO Star Wars and Steel Diver impressions.

Amir0x

Banned
heringer said:
Hey, there's always the AR stuff to play around... for about fifteen minutes at least.

I'm getting Super Street Fighter IV since it's the safest bet. I want a second game, but I need more LEGO Star Wars and Steel Diver impressions.

I wonder, how far out from launch is that DreamTrigger game?

God damn this launch is depressing. I would say it's likely the system will be sitting on my desk 'til OoT comes out, but I know I'll buy SSF4 so why lie to myself. You win Ono.

GDGF said:
but my birthday is tomorrow, and St Patty's day is two days after that. GDGF gots to get fucked up.

Word. And Happy Birthday!

Maldoror

Almost no one's talking about it, but hey, Samurai Warriors Chronicles seems to be a pretty decent launch game, and a solid Musou one (close to the home consoles iterations in terms of quality). Might get this on day one, along with SSFIV.

Amir0x said:
Yeah I think obviously people are estimating out of that - if it only took an hour and forty five minutes to get 85 out of 117 stars, then likely the entire game is completable in two hours and a half.

Again, not trying to get too defensive of something that probably isn't worth it, but trivial or not it's a little bit insincere. It's underselling it, even if it's only 45 minutes difference.

(I guess that 45mins makes a big difference, in that case :p)

Amir0x said:
YThat's cool, but I think at a certain point it is clear when a developer just rushed things and there simply is not enough content on disc. Wii Sports Resort, well, I hate that game but surely there's like a trillion more things to do in that game than Pilotwings Resort. And at the end of the day, a developer has to take a certain responsibility for his failings. I think it's rather lame if they try to claim 'well, uh, you know...it's supposed to be relaxing, take your time, so that's why we didn't include a lot of content! Herp derp!'

Then any lazy developer will come around and try to claim that, well gosh darnit, they're just trying to make a different type of game (one where they don't have to spend as much money or as much effort, and they can still charge you the same amount as other games *gasp*) and cleverly disguise it as intentional.

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't expect Monster Games to come out and say something like that!

However, I can understand how someone could get their '$40 worth' out of this, just as I can sympathise with someone for feeling the opposite. I guess whether or not this is worth $40 will differ depending on the person, but as far as the developer goes? Probably not. I think we can both agree that this paucity of content is a problem not just with Pilotwings, but with the 3DS in general. Then again, I'd go so far as to say that the majority of launch games - for any system - are characterised by that exact same thing. It's an investment, essentially.

Honestly having the "Free Flight" mode in Pilotwings Resort be timed is a bigger disappointment to me than how long the game is. After all the missions are done, I could personally spend hours just flying around and seeing the sights and making up my own things to do. Putting a 2 minute time limit on something called "Free Flight" is borderline insane.

And then of course it's just one island which is extremely lazy.

BooJoh

MarshMellow96 said:
Well that's kinda the problem here. It might not be so bad if you take your time playing it in smaller sessions, but as a launch title, this is going to be the only thing some people have for their shiny new 3DS other than built in software for a while.

For a lot of people buying a new system is already a big purchase, and adding even one game makes that even bigger, so they want the title that will give them the most meat while they wait for better games to come out and their bank account to refill.

Personally I'm still on board for Pilotwings. I would buy it even were it not a launch title, but I wouldn't mind having a little more than a couple hours worth of play while waiting for the AAA titles later this year. Hopefully the eShop will give us some worthy bite-sized games to fill in the dry spots between E3 and Christmas.

If not, there's always DS games to fall back on.

Amir0x

Banned
MarshMellow96 said:
Again, not trying to get too defensive of something that probably isn't worth it, but trivial or not it's a little bit insincere. It's underselling it, even if it's only 45 minutes difference.

(I guess that 45mins makes a big difference, in that case :p)

Well I know I was estimating in my head it'd take 2 hours and a half to beat, which in my mind is exactly as bad as an hour and forty five minutes... it's such an insignificant amount of content that it's nearly offensive to charge $40.

MarshMellow96 said:
Yeah, I certainly wouldn't expect Monster Games to come out and say something like that!

No, of course not. But you said something like it, as a 'fill-in' excuse for them, so I was just saying if THEY said something so silly, it'd be likewise rebuked. It's just a dev who was rushing for launch, like all launch games, suffer for it.

MarshMellow96 said:
The majority of launch games - for any system - are characterised by that exact same thing. It's an investment, essentially.

Totally, 100% agree. Everybody knows my stance on launches - worst period of time for any gamer. Like walking through a desert, trying desperately to reach an oasis... and instead only occasionally coming across a half filled glass of water every couple of days.

Usually, though, I tend to be able to find at least one or two "acceptable" games for launch - that is, ORIGINAL CONTENT with some reasonable level of length and an at least decent level of quality. 3DS launch just doesn't seem to have that, unfortunately. Ah well, it won't be too long before something I want is out.

DreamTrigger, maybe Kid Icarus will deliver...

Neuromancer said:
Honestly having the "Free Flight" mode in Pilotwings Resort be timed is a bigger disappointment to me than how long the game is. After all the missions are done, I could personally spend hours just flying around and seeing the sights and making up my own things to do. Putting a 2 minute time limit on something called "Free Flight" is borderline insane.

What is the point of putting a time limit on that? Not sure I understand...

daakusedo

Yeah don't buy a pilotwings game if you're done with clearing missions with 1 star, at least not for 40$. Now it seems similar to the 64 one in lenght apart for the maps.

But anyone know if it has same physics as 64, I think of the mission when you fall from the top of the snow mountain and pass through rings, you'd better be soft on the analog stick here.

Amir0x

Banned
daakusedo said:
Yeah don't buy a pilotwings game if you're done with clearing missions with 1 star, at least not for 40$. Now it seems similar to the 64 one in lenght apart for the maps.

But anyone know if it has same physics as 64, I think of the mission when you fall from the top of the snow mountain and pass through rings, you'd better be soft on the analog stick here.

See in Pilotwings 64, I did beat the game in a similarly short time frame with great ratings. It's not a hard game to get good ratings on.

Amir0x said:
What is the point of putting a time limit on that? Not sure I understand...
Well they want you to go around the island and find hidden areas, you can also pop balloons or something to extend your time. It's a really bad idea, left over from Wii Sports Resort.

wow lol nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo at Pilotwings :(

I can only hope that Nintendo adds more missions with street pass or DLC, thats a bummer to hear.

Guess i will buy and either trade in to amazon or trade on Goozex.

hmmmmmmm now i need to think of some back up games, to anyone that completed Rayman 2, how long is it?

Amir0x said:
See in Pilotwings 64, I did beat the game in a similarly short time frame with great ratings. It's not a hard game to get good ratings on.

Neither is the 3DS version. According to the Activity Log, I've logged in around 2:50 and I have most of the missions done with three stars. Only two or three is left with two stars, and I could probably get three on them if I try once more.

Now, getting a perfect score on each... (three stars with red lining). No way.

marc^o^

FoxHimself said:
Neither is the 3DS version. According to the Activity Log, I've logged in around 2:50 and I have most of the missions done with three stars. Only two or three is left with two stars, and I could probably get three on them if I try once more.

Now, getting a perfect score on each... (three stars with red lining). No way.
You have the game already? Cooool. So it seems you are a bit closer to the end than NGamer was. Is it becoming tedious or repetitive to go for the perfect scores, or do you think the game is worth it?

marc^o^

Spiegel said:
Pilotwings and Steel Diver would have been perfect 3DSWare launch games.
Yeah, one can only hope these games don't sell well so that Nintendo understand they have to change their business model. Cut the price on low content titles and go for the volume.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
bah hearing about monkey ball makes me sad.

sega really sonic'd the franchise. gawd damnit monkey ball was perfect. Just port that to DS, then shut up and take my money.

marc^o^

catfish said:
bah hearing about monkey ball makes me sad.

sega really sonic'd the franchise. gawd damnit monkey ball was perfect. Just port that to DS, then shut up and take my money.
A GC port would have certainly been twice as good as the current game. I don't know what's happening with Sega, but it's not good to see.

Top Bottom