• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS battery life - 3-to-5 hrs for 3DS games; 3.5hr to charge[Various Realworld Tests]

NateDrake

Ghouse said:
Do we have the figures yet for mid-level brightness, no 3D, with no wifi? The good thing at least is that Nintendo is providing the charging dock which makes charging everyday not much of a hassle.
I'll perform this test tonight/tomorrow.

Izayoi

Banned
Kuran said:
What do you expect, then? Do you honestly think we'll be getting a smaller revision in two years?

Burnst said:
Anything extra to carry around, like a battery pack, is lame. I thought Nintendo used to care about shit like this...
Did you even bother reading the thread?

ajb1888 said:
Why Nintendo? Why? :(
Not day one for me at this point, though I'll likely still get a 3DS eventually..
Seriously...

eastmen

Banned
nckillthegrimace said:
You really don't get where people are coming from with their complaints? It may be more time than you get on your phone, but it's certainly less than what I get on my DSi. Clearly, it's not the end of the world and, realistically, it's due to the limitations of battery technology, but I can certainly understand the concern. Personally, I don't spend much of my time outside the house playing games, so it doesn't really affect me at all. Still, $250 is a lot of money, and buying something at that price that has some fairly substantial flaws kind of irks me.
You do realise that while the dsi struggles to provide n64 level 3d graphics the 3DS is not only displaying wii level graphics but also they are in 3D with larger screens than the DSi .

The DSi is simply a revision of a console from 2004. The DSi came out in 2009. I'd expect a half a decade of process shrinks and screen tech improvements to increase battery life. On the flip side the 3Ds is only 2 years after the DSi and greatly improves on the ds's graphics basicly giving us over a full console generations graphics increase. Why would you ever expect it to get the same or better battery life as the dsi ?

I also wonder out of the people upset with the battery life , how many are going to be playing for 3 hours or more and not have acess to an outlet. How long is your commute ?

I'm sure there are outside instances of going on a long plane ride or a long car ride or something where you could use more time. But then again you'd have acess to a power source on a plane , in a car and on a train

boiled goose

good with gravy
Battery life is really important for me.

It is one of the key features I look for in pretty much all portable electronics like cell phones and portable gaming devices. The DS has an amazing battery life which i really love.

3hr battery life is not enough for my standards. no need to jump to next gen just yet for me.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
ITT, Nintendo fans experience life-ending cognitive dissonance that a hand held 3D Xbox+ that fits in the palm of your hand has 3 hours of battery life with every single function turned on and running nonstop.

"Why, Nintendo, why?"

Please, god, can someone run some stress tests with level 4 brightness and 3D turned off, and see if this damn thing does in fact get the same battery life as a DSi? End this already.

Slappers Only

I see how people might care, but I do all of my "portable" gaming at home anyway, so it doesn't matter to me. Just another format for couch gaming.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
amtentori said:
Battery life is really important for me.

It is one of the key features I look for in pretty much all portable electronics like cell phones and portable gaming devices. The DS has an amazing battery life which i really love.

3hr battery life is not enough for my standards. no need to jump to next gen just yet for me.

A DSi with wi-fi and level 5 brightness gets 3 hours of battery life.

Honestly, I think most people have never actually played any multiplayer wifi games on the DS for a length of time because WFC does suck, and most of the online multiplayer games do suck. There's basically Mario Kart as the most played multiplayer game.

Slappers Only said:
I see how people might care, but I do all of my "portable" gaming at home anyway, so it doesn't matter to me. Just another format for couch gaming.

Actually, while it's my own idiosyncratic assumption, I had been considering the 3D mode on the 3DS to be the thing you use indoors when you're gonna sit down for a while. 2D mode is what you use on the go, when the thing is actually portable.

I think an image problem the 3DS may suffer from is the idea that it's purely a portable system. I don't think it's supposed to be. Nintendo is trying some kind of funky disruption shit with no-glasses 3D - that's what they've been ramming home over and over, essentially mocking Sony's big push for 3D via teh goggles. 3DS is a personal 3D viewer in this sense...

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Freezie KO said:
Thanks. I really want to get one for an upcoming flight I have one day after the 3DS NA launch.

EDIT: Do they sell them in brick and mortar stores or only online?

I picked mine up at a Bic Camera, I don't know where to get them online or I'd probably get a couple more for family.

VOOK said:
I picked mine up at a Bic Camera, I don't know where to get them online or I'd probably get a couple more for family.

Oh lol, they're Japan only for now, unless I want to spring $51 on ebay for one. That doesn't help. :/

EDIT: Your reply helped. Just not country restriction.

EvilMario said:
No, battery life increases without 3D. I wonder what the battery life is like if the 3D is only half way, and not off.
It can't be halfway. It's either producing one image and outputting it, or producing two images and having the extra screen brightness and layer active to output them at different angles.
PoliceCop said:
How can Nintendo think now is the right time to roll out a bad launch and battery life?
Foregoing the launch advantage on NGP wouldn't do them any favors.
Woffls said:
If batteries are so cheap, what's the big deal? Just carry a spare battery around with you or something. They're pretty small.
You're also going to need to carry a screwdriver with you.
charlequin said:
I don't wish the 3DS magically had higher battery life, I wish it was like a quarter-inch thicker to accommodate more space dedicated to the crappy batteries we have.
Right on. Not like it's a brick as-is. I guess in my pipe dream version of the hardware we'd gain a fraction of an inch in thickness, a battery twice as large could be placed lower in the unit, and that would free up room for the second analog nub over where the battery currently sits.

sasimirobot

www.taoboa.com
3ds 电池

has 3DS batteries that come with the screwdriver needed for about 4.25$US.

I am thinking about doing a short time temporary export job with these. Would there be interest here for some of these?

PM if you would like me to send you one

Izayoi

Banned
sasimirobot said:
www.taoboa.com
3ds 电池

I am thinking about doing a short time temporary export job with these. Would there be interest here for some of these?

PM sent.

Emitan

sasimirobot said:
www.taoboa.com
3ds 电池

That's the price I paid for just the screwdriver. Good deal.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
VOOK said:
Works with mine.

what is this eneloop charger? Stick you put a couple of eneloops in and it powers your DS? Are they available in the UK? Going to be going on a long haul flight a week after the 3DS launches, and it'd be good to have backup..

edit: not in UK, but found on ebay. Can I get a general one to use with my USB DSi charge cable, or do I need the specific DSi stick version?

Clott

I will for the most part be playing from home, I see how the battery life may be a challenge for some, but how often am I going to be playing 5 hours straight anyway?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Clott said:
I will for the most part be playing from home, I see how the battery life may be a challenge for some, but how often am I going to be playing 5 hours straight anyway?

you can't use the 'full to empty' measure for day to day usage. While you might not be playing for 5 hours solid, you might want to play for a couple of hours one day, but its been in standby for a week in your bag, then you get the red light of doom half way through playing.
The more battery life you have, the less tied to the charger you need to be

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
mrklaw said:
what is this eneloop charger? Stick you put a couple of eneloops in and it powers your DS? Are they available in the UK? Going to be going on a long haul flight a week after the 3DS launches, and it'd be good to have backup..

edit: not in UK, but found on ebay. Can I get a general one to use with my USB DSi charge cable, or do I need the specific DSi stick version?

I got a generic one with a micro USB and just got a 5-1 cable with DS, PSP, DSi, iPhone and Micro USB from elsewhere.

One thing I did notice, the 3DS sucked the batteries down in it really quick, it's a beast.

Yes it looks like a dildo;

40gw9.jpg

BowieZ

Banned
Kaijima said:
ITT, Nintendo fans experience life-ending cognitive dissonance that a hand held 3D Xbox+ that fits in the palm of your hand has 3 hours of battery life with every single function turned on and running nonstop.

"Why, Nintendo, why?"
lol this got a chuckle out of me

mrklaw

MrArseFace
VOOK said:
I got a generic one with a micro USB and just got a 5-1 cable with DS, PSP, DSi, iPhone and Micro USB from elsewhere.

One thing I did notice, the 3DS sucked the batteries down in it really quick, it's a beast.

Yes it looks like a dildo;

40gw9.jpg

cool. Just wanted to check because they have a 'special' DSi version now and I wondered if there was something specfic about the DSi. I'd much rather have a generic one to also charge my phone. Already have a DSi USB charge cable so I'm off to ebay..

eastmen said:
You do realise that while the dsi struggles to provide n64 level 3d graphics the 3DS is not only displaying wii level graphics but also they are in 3D with larger screens than the DSi.

The DSi is simply a revision of a console from 2004. The DSi came out in 2009. I'd expect a half a decade of process shrinks and screen tech improvements to increase battery life. On the flip side the 3Ds is only 2 years after the DSi and greatly improves on the ds's graphics basicly giving us over a full console generations graphics increase. Why would you ever expect it to get the same or better battery life as the dsi ?

Your logic is flawed. I mean, you do realise that the DSi struggles to provide N64 level 3D graphics the same way the DSPhat did (it has more RAM, I know, but it's very rarely used). I wouldn't expect half a decade of process shrinks and screen tech improvements to increase battery life that much because the hardware is basically the same, just look at the PSP. From what I know, the DSi may actually have less power comsumption than the DSL or DS, but the battery is smaller and its life noticeably shorter.

I think what everyone was expecting, myself included, is that the battery life of the 3DS would be similar to that of the DSL. Why, you ask? Because we could say that the level of hardware power of the 3DS compared to the maximums and minimums of 2011 is about the same level as the DS when it launched.

I don't think it's a matter of battery technology. Yes, it can and it does advance, but only so much, try using a GBC with a pair of today's batteries and see if you can get three times the battery life than 13 years ago, because I don't think so. Speaking of GBC, following your logic, today's portable devices should have ridiculous battery lifes, but they don't, and they actually have MORE than in the past. Compare "old" (7 years old or so) laptops with today's notebooks. Way more powerful and way more lasting AND smaller. It's all about the hardware and how power efficient it is. I know the 3D screen is very power consuming, and I still want some clear and realistic figures on the 3DS battery life because I sure as hell won't be using it at max brightness+max volume+wifi, but I think Nintendo could've done a better job, judging from what I've seen.

Maybe the DSLite was too good and we are asking for miracles though :p

NateDrake

Here is an update on battery life based on these settings: mid-level brightness, no 3D, with no wifi.

Just hit the 50% indicator on the system. Looked at my game data via the system's log and it's at 3:35. It may be early to say but 7hrs on those settings seems like a good chance. I'll update again once I hit zero battery life.

eastmen

Banned
Risk Breaker said:
Your logic is flawed. I mean, you do realise that the DSi struggles to provide N64 level 3D graphics the same way the DSPhat did (it has more RAM, I know, but it's very rarely used). I wouldn't expect half a decade of process shrinks and screen tech improvements to increase battery life that much because the hardware is basically the same, just look at the PSP. From what I know, the DSi may actually have less power comsumption than the DSL or DS, but the battery is smaller and its life noticeably shorter.

You don't know how process node shrinks work. Each time you move to a smaller micron process using the same design it takes up less mm2 as the tranistors get denser and it uses less energy . So if the first DSPhat was on 90nm and the Dsi is on 65nm and since its the same exact hardware (the dsi has some more ram as you said and flash storage built in and cameras) then the dsi will use less power. 40% or so less power depending on the process node scalling.

You forget that with the newer dsi screens your getting higher brightness which will come at battery life and you also have a smaller battery

The ds came with a 850mah battery and took 4 hours to charge. The dsi came with a 1000mah battery which right there is a 18% increase in battery power.

The dsi came with a faster clocked cpu the arm 9 was clocked at 133mhz which was almost twice as fast as the arm9 in the ds /dsl it also had 16mb of ram which was 4 times the ds/dsl . The dsi had a 840mah battery.

The dsi had comparable battery life to the ds phat. This was done due to process shrinks

I think what everyone was expecting, myself included, is that the battery life of the 3DS would be similar to that of the DSL. Why, you ask? Because we could say that the level of hardware power of the 3DS compared to the maximums and minimums of 2011 is about the same level as the DS when it launched

Why would it be comparable to the DSL ? The DSL was a refresh of the DS . IT had a 18% larger battery and had a process node shrink which could further reduce power consumption by 40%

I don't think it's a matter of battery technology. Yes, it can and it does advance, but only so much, try using a GBC with a pair of today's batteries and see if you can get three times the battery life than 13 years ago, because I don't think so. Speaking of GBC, following your logic, today's portable devices should have ridiculous battery lifes, but they don't, and they actually have MORE than in the past. Compare "old" (7 years old or so) laptops with today's notebooks. Way more powerful and way more lasting AND smaller. It's all about the hardware and how power efficient it is. I know the 3D screen is very power consuming, and I still want some clear and realistic figures on the 3DS battery life because I sure as hell won't be using it at max brightness+max volume+wifi, but I think Nintendo could've done a better job, judging from what I've seen.

If i took a GBC and was able to use a lithium ion battery instead of standard double a batterys i'd see a life impovement. More to the point. If we took a GBC and put it on a modern process say 40nm you'd be able to fit all the chips in the original GBC on a single small chip along with the ram. You'd make a single ultra low power chip. Battery life would be through the roof.

Maybe the DSLite was too good and we are asking for miracles though :p

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3774/welcome-to-valhalla-inside-the-new-250gb-xbox-360-slim/3

Educate yourself on how process nodes work. This is whats driving battery life and not battery tech advancement.

Xbox 360 xenon (launch unit ) 90nm 155.7w idel
xbox 360 slim valhalla 40nm/65nm 70.w idle

Gears of war 2

Xbox 360 xenon 177.1w
slim 88w

As you can see the process node shrinks have drasticly reduced power usage. Its not clear yet if the slim 360 uses 40nm or 65nm chips or a mix of the two. But one things for sure , it cuts power usage in half .

Thats major considering things like the hardrive and dvd drive wouldn't have seen power consumption drops.

I believe that the 3DS is made on 40nm so the next big drop would be 28nm and we wont see that till 2012. I suspect nintendo wont do anything until 22nm sometime in 2013.

We could see battery life increase with a larger model but then again we might not. Remember the screens will get bigger also and it will offset the larger battery size.

Izayoi

Banned
NateDrake said:
Here is an update on battery life based on these settings: mid-level brightness, no 3D, with no wifi.

Just hit the 50% indicator on the system. Looked at my game data via the system's log and it's at 3:35. It may be early to say but 7hrs on those settings seems like a good chance. I'll update again once I hit zero battery life.
Thanks for doing this.

mt1200

Ratrat said:
There is no way. I will wait for the lite version.

Same here, iwata announced that there will be no lite version though..

but we all know that if he would said the opposite, no one had bought the first version

Emitan

Ken Masters said:
I'm waiting for the 3ds lite, 2-4 hrs for a handheld? yeah, Nintendo can shove that 3d up their...
3D really has nothing to do with it. Be angry that they didn't make the system a centimeter bigger to fit in a larger battery.

Poyunch

mt1200 said:
Same here, iwata announced that there will be no lite version though..

but we all know that if he would said the opposite, no one had bought the first version
Well the 3DS is pretty packed as is. Most likely the next real revision outside of colors would be an XL version.

Billychu said:
3D really has nothing to do with it. Be angry that they didn't make the system a centimeter bigger to fit in a larger battery.

Exactly. You can already play exclusively with 3D off, and the boost you'll get (reportedly around 25%) will still leave you with a significantly worse battery life than any previous Nintendo handheld. Increasing the system's size a bit is probably the easiest compromise that could have been made - certainly with less of a downside than downgrading the CPU/GPU specs or delaying the launch until smaller or lower-power components became available.

antonz

Well to be fair they didnt go bigger to avoid bitching. IGN is already calling the 3DS bulky and not very portable. Nevermind the fact its basically identical to the DS Lite.

BY2K

Membero Americo
antonz said:
Well to be fair they didnt go bigger to avoid bitching. IGN is already calling the 3DS bulky and not very portable. Nevermind the fact its basically identical to the DS Lite.

That's what I can't understand. I tried the 3DS and it is very portable.

But I've been repeated time and time again that IGN is shit, so... no surprise, I guess.

daakusedo

NateDrake said:

Thanks. I stopped waiting for pro tests because like that I will get the console before so it's appreciated.

antonz said:
What? It's about the size of a dsi. Size is not an issue here. With the smartphone craze, an argument could be made, but it just feels like that editor was just voicing a minor complaint to make a point about the overall hardware.

Izayoi

Banned
Zee-Row said:
IGN calling the 3DS bulky is a laugh. I put a DSi in my pocket all the time with no problems.
It really is, especially considering the 3DS is actually smaller than the Lite.

Idiot Gaming News.

Also, anyone waiting for a Lite version is going to be waiting a very, very long time. The next revision is going to be an XL model.

Izayoi said:
Also, anyone waiting for a Lite version is going to be waiting a very, very long time. The next revision is going to be an XL model.
Not to mention that the earliest Nintendo has ever released a followup system was almost two years with the DS Lite, and that was with the DS Phat, a system that they had rushed to release to beat the competition so already had plans for an improved model. The 3DS wasn't rushed at all, it's exactly what they wanted.

Izayoi

Banned
Dreamwriter said:
Not to mention that the earliest Nintendo has ever released a followup system was almost two years with the DS Lite, and that was with the DS Phat, a system that they had rushed to release to beat the competition so already had plans for an improved model. The 3DS wasn't rushed at all, it's exactly what they wanted.
Pretty much. The most we'll see before an XL are alternate colors.

eastmen said:
You don't know how process node shrinks work. Each time you move to a smaller micron process using the same design it takes up less mm2 as the tranistors get denser and it uses less energy . So if the first DSPhat was on 90nm and the Dsi is on 65nm and since its the same exact hardware (the dsi has some more ram as you said and flash storage built in and cameras) then the dsi will use less power. 40% or so less power depending on the process node scalling.

You forget that with the newer dsi screens your getting higher brightness which will come at battery life and you also have a smaller battery

The ds came with a 850mah battery and took 4 hours to charge. The dsi came with a 1000mah battery which right there is a 18% increase in battery power.

The dsi came with a faster clocked cpu the arm 9 was clocked at 133mhz which was almost twice as fast as the arm9 in the ds /dsl it also had 16mb of ram which was 4 times the ds/dsl . The dsi had a 840mah battery.

The dsi had comparable battery life to the ds phat. This was done due to process shrinks

Why would it be comparable to the DSL ? The DSL was a refresh of the DS . IT had a 18% larger battery and had a process node shrink which could further reduce power consumption by 40%

If i took a GBC and was able to use a lithium ion battery instead of standard double a batterys i'd see a life impovement. More to the point. If we took a GBC and put it on a modern process say 40nm you'd be able to fit all the chips in the original GBC on a single small chip along with the ram. You'd make a single ultra low power chip. Battery life would be through the roof.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3774/welcome-to-valhalla-inside-the-new-250gb-xbox-360-slim/3

Educate yourself on how process nodes work. This is whats driving battery life and not battery tech advancement.

Xbox 360 xenon (launch unit ) 90nm 155.7w idel
xbox 360 slim valhalla 40nm/65nm 70.w idle

Gears of war 2

Xbox 360 xenon 177.1w
slim 88w

As you can see the process node shrinks have drasticly reduced power usage. Its not clear yet if the slim 360 uses 40nm or 65nm chips or a mix of the two. But one things for sure , it cuts power usage in half .

Thats major considering things like the hardrive and dvd drive wouldn't have seen power consumption drops.

I believe that the 3DS is made on 40nm so the next big drop would be 28nm and we wont see that till 2012. I suspect nintendo wont do anything until 22nm sometime in 2013.

We could see battery life increase with a larger model but then again we might not. Remember the screens will get bigger also and it will offset the larger battery size.

Let me guess, you're also the same Eastmen from beyond3d, am I right? It's easy to tell when someone from beyond3d posts here.

krypt0nian said:
Is this the first handheld by Nintendo I have to skip?

What were they thinking?

Amazes me how many people just barge into this thread and jump on the thread title without actually reading any context of facts.

Top Bottom