• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS battery life - 3-to-5 hrs for 3DS games; 3.5hr to charge[Various Realworld Tests]

Izayoi

Banned
Donnie said:
2-4 hours?, where on earth are you getting that from?
His mind wants it to be that way so he can bash it for no reason.

krypt0nian said:
Is this the first handheld by Nintendo I have to skip?

What were they thinking?
They're thinking "why the hell won't people just read the damn thread".

Donnie

krypt0nian said:
Is this the first handheld by Nintendo I have to skip?

What were they thinking?

Probably thought, "lets not make this thing big enough for people to complain about". Unfortunately that gave people something else to complain about.

Fusebox

Banned
Stitch said:
so it's like my iPod

Return your iPod or sell it. It's either faulty or 10 years old.

And I can't imagine going backwards from my DSi LL in battery life, I cane that thing when I get on a roll.

3rd party battery solution, get ready to take my money...

eastmen said:
You don't know how process node shrinks work. Each time you move to a smaller micron process using the same design it takes up less mm2 as the tranistors get denser and it uses less energy . So if the first DSPhat was on 90nm and the Dsi is on 65nm and since its the same exact hardware (the dsi has some more ram as you said and flash storage built in and cameras) then the dsi will use less power. 40% or so less power depending on the process node scalling.

Of course I know about hardware shrinking. I had no accurate data about the differences between DS, DSL and DSi so thanks for those. I can only talk about DSL and DSi and I own the first and my gf owns the other, and I repeat that the DSi battery life compared to the DSL is disappointing. The DSi screen may be brighter but it's actually lower quality, sadly.

I'm glad we agree on the battery development not being as important as actual hardware development. But I think you should know too that the process is not everything that matters, the architecture is important as well (er, I think). Of course when you're talking about the same hardware, making it smaller results in a direct impact. That's why I said grabbing a GBC and using with some eneloops for example would last marginally more than a decade ago, with batteries from that time. Obviously, if you replicate GBA hardware with today's technology, you could run it for days or even weeks with a li-on battery. The 3DS hardware architecture should be a lot more power efficient than the DSi, even if it used the same process.

I hope they can reduce 3DS manufacturing process AND use a better battery in the future. Six to seven hours (more likely six due to the drop in voltage) with 3D disabled is now what I was expecting in the successor to the DS.

Isn't Nintendo usually pretty great about battery life? Compared to competition throughout history, I always thought Nintendo placed the bar high on battery life versus competitors. I don't think this will affect me too much except for meetups and conventions as I play at home most of the time - the war of convention power outlets is about to begin.

Battery technology hasn't really advanced in the past decade. Yet handheld devices have grown far more powerful and juice hungry. This was inevitable for nintendo, they couldn't stick with DS specs.

Izayoi

Banned
KarmaCow said:
Read a 30 page thread?
Even in just the past two pages (four I guess if you use the inferior 50 posts per page) there has been an explanation for why the battery life is so low.

JWong said:
Maybe link him some good posts?
I'll make one right now.

The battery life has nothing to do with Nintendo, it has to do with the fact that battery technology has been stagnating for years now.

Nintendo had three options:

1.) Make the console bigger in order to accommodate a bigger battery.
2.) Use smaller screens with less brightness.
3.) Make the console less powerful with inferior components in order to draw less power and/or accommodate a bigger battery.

None of those would've made anyone particularly happy, I'm willing to bet. Sony is in a similar situation with the NGP, and it seems they chose the option to make a bigger system - which has rustled its fair share of jimmies.

Until battery technology improves handheld manufacturers are stuck between a rock and a hard place. It's all about compromises right now, and Nintendo chose to sacrifice battery life in lieu of more features and a compact design.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
antonz said:
I think you basically have to get it imported. not even amazon sells them
I'm just hoping there's an import shop here in Toronto that carries them. It'd be nice to pick one up before my trip to Portugal this summer.

Donnie

Fuzzy said:
I'm just hoping there's an import shop here in Toronto that carries them. It'd be nice to pick one up before my trip to Portugal this summer.

There's loads of external batteries that should work on the 3DS, so even if you can't get an enloop you'll certainly be able to find something that will work well.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Izayoi said:
Even in just the past two pages (four I guess if you use the inferior 50 posts per page) there has been an explanation for why the battery life is so low.

I'll make one right now.

The battery life has nothing to do with Nintendo, it has to do with the fact that battery technology has been stagnating for years now.

3.) Make the console less powerful with inferior components in order to draw less power and/or accommodate a bigger battery.

None of those would've made anyone particularly happy, I'm willing to bet. Sony is in a similar situation with the NGP, and it seems they chose the option to make a bigger system - which has rustled its fair share of jimmies.

Until battery technology improves handheld manufacturers are stuck between a rock and a hard place. It's all about compromises right now, and Nintendo chose to sacrifice battery life in lieu of more features and a compact design.
all three of those options are better options. this is a portable device. a weak battery is a death-knell. slightly larger hardware, smaller screens or less power certainly aren't.

Izayoi said:

I'll make one right now.

What the fuck does knowing why it's so low have to do with anything? Does it make it longer? Read the fucking thread. smh

Then you don't release a handheld like this until the tech matches your vision.

Utter bullshit.

antonz

Fuzzy said:
The Nyko batteries might be worth looking into. Each one they claim will do 5-10 hours at only 20 bucks a pop. Use the extended batteries for the flight and such and can take them off after charging and use the normal battery local

Donnie

Rez said:
all three of those options are better options. this is a portable device. a weak battery is a death-knell. slightly larger hardware, smaller screens or less power certainly aren't.

We're talking about 4 hours with 3D on and medium brightness and nearly 8 hours without 3D on the same setting, that's a death-knell for a portable games system is it?

Plus you can easily get a battery pack for $20 that makes the system slightly bigger for twice the battery life if you choose.

AceBandage said:
Amazes me how many people just barge into this thread and jump on the thread title without actually reading any context of facts.

What part didn't you get? Or do you think I should buy additional equipment to fix Nintendo's fuckups too?

If there are so many awesome options, then they should have been included. Nintendo's knew full well what kind of nonsense they were bringing out to the handheld public.

Donnie

krypt0nian said:
What the fuck does knowing why it's so low have to do with anything? Does it make it longer? Read the fucking thread. smh

Then you don't release a handheld like this until the tech matches your vision.

Utter bullshit.

You asked what Nintendo were thinking with the battery life, he's explained what they were likely thinking and your response is "What the fuck does knowing why it's so low have to do with anything?".

Your either in an irational rage or complaining for the sake of it.

Donnie said:
We're talking about 4 hours with 3D on and medium brightness and nearly 8 hours without 3D on the same setting, that's a death-knell for a portable games system is it?

Where exactly are you getting the notion that disabling 3D doubles battery life? Nintendo itself said that it only results in a 25% increase.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
it doesn't make me particularly angry, I'll probably just buy an iPad or something this year and wait until next year to buy a 3DS, which will probably coincide with some great deals and worthwhile software, it's just a damn nuisance.

Donnie said:
You asked what Nintendo were thinking with the battery life, he's explained what they were likely thinking and your response is "What the fuck does knowing why it's so low have to do with anything?".

Your either in an irational rage or complaining for the sake of it.

Like I said. Then you don't release bad tech. The rage was caused by the tools saying read the thread. Knowing why they release bad tech is not going to magically make it ok.

And again, if there are better replacement batteries, Nintendo should be the one shelling out to make their handheld worth taking out of the house. Not the end user.

Shameful. They need to call Apple to see how battery tech works.

Fusebox said:
To what?

"3-5 hrs for 3DS games but that's okay coz it isn't Nintendos fault so stfu and don't complain."

How about "3-5 hours with WiFi and 3D on and if you want more, invent better technology yourself".

krypt0nian said:
Like I said. Then you don't release bad tech. The rage was caused by the tools saying read the thread. Knowing why they release bad tech is not going to magically make it ok.

And again, if there are better replacement batteries, Nintendo should be the one shelling out to make their handheld worth taking out of the house. Not the end user.

Shameful.

Except it isn't "bad tech"...

AceBandage said:
How about "3-5 hours with WiFi and 3D on and if you want more, invent better technology yourself".

Except it isn't "bad tech"...

How about "We're over our heads with this one, but buy a better battery yourselves, dumbasses" or "Bad tech isn't our fault. Look over there! Pilotwings!"

And you're correct, for a handled meant to be taken out of the house, it's facepalm tech.

This is Sega Nomad level bad tech.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
AceBandage said:
I'm not looking to get into a pissing contest over the value of battery life -- you know, if 3-5 works for you, that's fantastic, I'm sure I'll be able to make it work too, eventually -- but advancing in a number of areas before waiting for a major bottleneck to be fixed seems like exceptionally poor engineering.

Rez said:
I'm not looking to get into a pissing contest over the value of battery life -- you know, if 3-5 works for you, that's fantastic, I'm sure I'll be able to make it work too, eventually -- but advancing in a number of areas before waiting for a major bottleneck to be fixed seems like exceptionally poor engineering.

Well, you have a choice then.
You can either halt the advancement of mobile technology until we can replace Lithium Ion batteries with something better.
Or we can keep going forward but have bad battery life.

Donnie

Father_Brain said:
Where exactly are you getting the notion that disabling 3D doubles battery life? Nintendo itself said that it only results in a 25% increase.

Was only a rough estimate based on someones real world battery test earlier on in this thread. Looking back it was actually 7 hours at medium brightness with 3D and Wifi off. I really hope its correct that disabling 3D only increases battery by 25%, because that would mean over 5 and a half hours with 3D on medium brightness.

I suppose the battery increase from disabling 3D would be a bit higher though with Wifi disabled. As the screen would be taking up a larger percentage of the systems power with Wifi off.

Rez said:

Exactly. I cringe to see what the Sony handheld battery life will be. :(

Donnie

krypt0nian said:

Oh right I get it now...

Seriously, if you believe that handheld tech should be held back by the current poor battery technology then do so and disable the 3D, its optional and you'll then get the battery life you want. How is that poor engineering, they've given you the option to have less if you value battery life so highly.

hamchan

krypt0nian said:
Exactly. I cringe to see what the Sony handheld battery life will be. :(

Sony made the NGP bigger so they can fit a bigger battery in. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same life as the 3DS.

antonz

hamchan said:
Sony made the NGP bigger so they can fit a bigger battery in. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same life as the 3DS.
Yes Sony already stated its basically identical to the 3DS battery life. They probably have the Nyko sized battery in it but the power drain gives it 3DS life

Glix

This is the most frustrating thread ever. We really need to change the title to "3DS has similar battery life to DSi" or something like that, or just close the thread completely.

antonz said:
Yes Sony already stated its basically identical to the 3DS battery life. They probably have the Nyko sized battery in it but the power drain gives it 3DS life

Shameful. Handhelds have been a saving grace, especially for Nintendo, but there's no way I'm supporting either one with these numbers.

Hopefully they'll get their shit together for the re-design.

Donnie said:
Oh right I get it now...

Pity Nintendo and Sony don't. Battery tech is as important and all the other bells and whistles with handhelds.

hamchan

Glix said:
This is the most frustrating thread ever. We really need to change the title to "3DS has similar battery life to DSi" or something like that, or just close the thread completely.

Err that title is misleading too isn't it? Is the 3-5 hour thing actually wrong?

krypt0nian said:
Shameful. Handhelds have been a saving grace, especially for Nintendo, but there's no way I'm supporting either one with these numbers.

Get what "shit together", exactly?
What are you proposing they do?

krypt0nian said:
Pity Nintendo and Sony don't. Battery tech is as important and all the other bells and whistles with handhelds.

Go play a graphically intensive game on any Apple handheld and see how long the battery lasts you...

krypt0nian said:

Look, I fully sympathize with most of your reaction (though I would probably disagree with you on the viability of waiting another couple years to launch a new handheld), but try playing a high-end 3D iPhone game like Dead Space or Infinity Blade and see how that impacts the battery...

Glix

hamchan said:
Err that title is misleading too isn't it? Is the 3-5 hour thing actually wrong?

If I have my DSi with brightness all the way up, and wifi on and being used the entire time, yes, it is similar.

AceBandage said:
Are those unreasonable things to expect to be able to use on a handheld? The title's completely justified.

Donnie

krypt0nian said:

So if you think battery life is so much more important then the bells and whistles then turn off the bells and whistles. Do they force you to use Wifi, 3D, full brightness ect?, nope.

Father_Brain said:
Look, I fully sympathize with most of your reaction (though I would probably disagree with you on the viability of waiting another couple years to launch a new handheld), but try playing a high-end 3D iPhone game like Dead Space or Infinity Blade and see how that impacts the battery...

I have but it doesn't reduce it to 3.5 hours. They understand how to tie battery/hardware seamlessly. Plus unlike this bizarre situation, they aren't skimping with the battery in the unit itself. They've spent the $$ to get a high end solution in there to begin with.

daffy

Banned
It always amazes me that people can expect to be taken seriously after they include hyperbole and exaggeration in their posts. Battery life is far from optimal I agree, but-
krypt0nian said:
This is Sega Nomad level bad tech.
Rez said:
all three of those options are better options. this is a portable device. a weak battery is a death-knell.
C'mon. My avatar is a pony and even I can ignore this shit.

Sega Nomad ran on AA batteries, 3DS is rechargeable, not even the same realm. Most smartphones have terrible battery life, that doesn't stop them from being great pieces of best-selling tech. The battery life for the 3DS is completely reasonable for the games and the apps it will be running.

grap3fruitman said:
Are those unreasonable things to expect to be able to use on a handheld? The title's completely justified.

Given the current level of technology? Yes, it is unreasonable.
This is the future of mobile gaming for a while, and if you don't like it, then I'm sorry.

krypt0nian said:
I have but it doesn't reduce it to 3.5 hours. They understand how to tie battery/hardware seamlessly. Plus unlike this bizarre situation, they aren't skimping with the battery in the unit itself. They've spent the $$ to get a high end solution in there to begin with.

Ba-freaking-loney.

Onagi

Banned
I realize that I can't speak for everyone, but I rarely play my current handhelds out of the house. Typically I like to get 20-30 minutes in before bed. Even if I did play away from home, I already throw my phone on the charger when I get home, so doing the same with a 3DS isn't going to bother me.

I guess it sucks for international or maybe even cross-country flights, but I don't think that represents the majority of use cases for the device.

AceBandage said:
Ba-freaking-loney.

Not at all. You have apologists telling me that I can just buy w 20 dollar solution that should be in the machine to begin with. This is what Nintendo should have in the machine.

And it's hardly hyperbole to compare it to the Sega Nomad. That was the last handheld that shouldn't have been released at the current state of battery tech.

Donnie

krypt0nian said:

You've tried playing the likes of infinity blade on your Iphone on full brightness with Wifi on?, what battery life did you get? :)

By the way, the Iphone 4 battery has a capacity 9% more then 3DS, and that's because it fits in what is a very simply device in design terms, that battery wouldn't fit in a 3DS.

Top Bottom