• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS North American Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwm0nkey

aznpxdd said:
Haven't kept up with this at all, but when's Starfox and Zelda coming out on 3DS?
Zelda comes out June. A lot of sites reported June 7th as the release but was never officially confirmed. Also Game Stop has it listed for June 7th if I remember correctly.

At least we know its sometime in June.

aznpxdd said:
Haven't kept up with this at all, but when's Starfox and Zelda coming out on 3DS?
They said Ocarina of Time won't be out until after e3, and they haven't said anything about Starfox 64.

JdFoX187

Banned
Any word on when Amazon will "shipping soon" the 3DS? I'm still worried about my preorder. But I went to K-mart and talked to the electronics manager and she said she wasn't sure if they'd even get any in. Probably an idiot person, but I'm still worried :(

DownLoad

MrMephistoX said:
The batteries wouldn't have lasted over the course of the flight anyway ;) I'd say go for a midnight launch so you can get used to the jet-lag. Any time I fly overseas I either stay up until I fly out or stay awake after the flight ends till bed time depending on where I'm going. Being tired enough to pass out on the flight is my preferred way to go particularly if I'm flying on ANA or other Asian airlines where the booze is free ;)

On a side note I decided to not bet on black after all since every other console I own is the same color so metallic teal it is.

Haha, I would go to the midnight release (plan on staying up all night before the flight) however... My flight leaves Saturday March 26 at 3PM or so, and since the 3DS release is March 27 in NA I can't attend it.

Seriously what are the chances of them making a release date 10 hours after I leave North America?! Damn you Nintendo!! (Although like you said, no way the battery would last the flight haha)

UncleSporky said:
Airplanes have power outlets in each seat, AFAIK.

Why is everyone saying this all of a sudden? Is it nothing more than a knee-jerk to the single meaningless link above to one inconsequential review saying they scored it low?

I'm not going to take it back yet just based on just this. I've heard more positive things about it then negative, so I'll wait to see some other reviews before I return the game.

The Lamonster said:
Whats the best case/pouch out there? The HORI ones are the best sellers on Amazon right now.
This is what I'm getting for everyday carrying in my backpack or maybe a cargo pants pocket. It's $20 but only fits 2 games.

If someone is thinking about getting Rayman 3DS...

NGamer review editor says Ubisoft's 3DS lineup is full of 'dodgy ports', but Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars is good
"Ubisoft held Rayman back so no one would see how crap it is, basically. Without spoiling the score, it's one of our lowest rated 3DS launch titles. Along with Splinter Cell and *shudders* Asphalt 3D. Ubisoft have only gone and blighted a Nintendo hardware launch with dodgy ports again. Ghost Recon, however, is one of the better launch games. Kittsy's personal favourite, in fact. Check the blog tomorrow for some abridged opinions of all the launch games."
NGamer staff writer (reviews editor) Matthew Castle

Via Go Nintendo

Picked up my first two games at Gamestop today, Ridge Racer 3D and Ghost Recon. I had a reserve on Ridge Racer, but I only decided to get Ghost Recon after seeing the gameplay video last night. I got the only unreserved copy.

It wouldn't suprise me if Ghost Recon didn't ship very much due to little or no reservations. I would suggest that if you want it, pick it up today. Don't wait for Sunday.

dvolovets

UncleSporky said:
Why is everyone saying this all of a sudden? Is it nothing more than a knee-jerk to the single meaningless link above to one inconsequential review saying they scored it low?
I guess you're right. The game actually just showed up from Amazon, actually, but I'm going to keep it in the plastic just in case...

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
When I pre-ordered on Amazon a month ago, I didn't see an Overnight option :(

Mine's not estimated to arrive till April 3rd!

edit:

Anyone find any stores breaking street date in NYC?

Fernando Rocker said:
If someone is thinking about getting Rayman 3DS...
Yeah, that was posted above, but the question is, how exactly could they ruin the port, when we've seen videos of the game in motion, both professionally produced ones from Nintendo and one German "over the shoulder" video? Heck, even the old DS port got good review scores back in its day.

dvolovets said:
I guess you're right. The game actually just showed up from Amazon, actually, but I'm going to keep it in the plastic just in case...

Yeah, no reason to take it back just yet. I just don't see how everyone else can say positive things about the game, then because ONE person has a bad review that its a bad port. I'm keeping my hopes up because of what I've read, but if there are a lot more problems with it then we've heard, it's going back to the store to get my moneys back.

John Harker said:
When I pre-ordered on Amazon a month ago, I didn't see an Overnight option :(

Mine's not estimated to arrive till April 3rd!

edit:

Anyone find any stores breaking street date in NYC?

You can change the shipping method up until it goes into "preparing to be shipped" status.

Zane

I got Rayman 3D this morning and have played the first three levels or so. No huge frame drops from what I can tell. It fluctuates pretty heavily but it never drops down to unplayable levels. Controls are very smooth and responsive, unlike in Rayman DS where the controls took literally a full second to respond.

My biggest problem is that cutscenes have a large amount of ghosting in 3D. But when you're actually playing, it's fine.

botticus

Well, thanks to $250-$450 in side income, definitely getting the black 3DS now so I don't have to worry about it later. Thinking about partaking in TRU's deal for Ghost Recon and Steel Diver, but I'll wait for more impressions before committing there.

Will also grab the Hori screen protectors and debate a case (both the executive and the Pull and Go look pretty solid, with different design goals).

Dreamwriter said:
Yeah, that was posted above, but the question is, how exactly could they ruin the port, when we've seen videos of the game in motion, both professionally produced ones from Nintendo and one German "over the shoulder" video? Heck, even the old DS port got good review scores back in its day.
without the text, they could just be marking it down for it's price. 'it is inexcusable that an unchanged port of a game this old is being sold for $40 when it can be had so cheaply elsewhere' kind of reasoning.

i'd wait for their review text before panicking... but i'd wait for reviews before buying it too ;)

Zane said:
I got Rayman 3D this morning and have played the first three levels or so. No huge frame drops from what I can tell. It fluctuates pretty heavily but it never drops down to unplayable levels. Controls are very smooth and responsive, unlike in Rayman DS where the controls took literally a full second to respond.

My biggest problem is that cutscenes have a large amount of ghosting in 3D. But when you're actually playing, it's fine.
Ah, that's something I didn't consider, the 3D - maybe that reviewer is having major issues with the game's use of 3D.

Zane said:

From what you can tell, is it a pretty poorly done port? Or are the graphics upgraded and what not.. Mainly, if someone has never played Rayman 2, would it be a decent game to pick up? Not sure if you can answer these questions yet, but if you get farther in the game to answer them, that'd be great.

Teknoman

Black 3DS + SSFIV3D+ Pilotwings 50% off due to Toys R Us sale.

Zane said:

How are the 3D effects?

wwm0nkey

For those of you who bought Rayman already I WOULD recommend taking it back not because of the forum post but because of the Sunday deal. Seriously might as well get Ghost Recon and Rayman for $60

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Anyone else going to the midnight release at the gamestop near union square in sf? Trying to decide whether I should do that or just waltz in on Sunday and hope they have my preorder.

I appologize if this has been addressed in the thread already...

Do we have solid release dates on : Kid Icarus, Star Fox, Zelda, Resident Evil, or Mario Kart?

Thanks in advance... right now, I'm only really interested in PilotWings, mayyybe Ridge Racer, and SSF4 if I can find friends also purchasing it.

wwm0nkey said:
For those of you who bought Rayman already I WOULD recommend taking it back not because of the forum post but because of the Sunday deal. Seriously might as well get Ghost Recon and Rayman for $60

Wait, where's this deal at? I must of missed it. (the post about this, that is)

Zane

StickSoldier said:
From what you can tell, is it a pretty poorly done port? Or are the graphics upgraded and what not.. Mainly, if someone has never played Rayman 2, would it be a decent game to pick up? Not sure if you can answer these questions yet, but if you get farther in the game to answer them, that'd be great.

I've never played the Dreamcast version of Rayman 2 so I don't know if the graphics are upgraded from that. However, I've played the N64 version many times and the 3DS version's graphics are definitely better than that.

It seems like a pretty solid port so far. But if you've never played Rayman 2 before, then just know that Rayman 2 is one of the greatest platformers ever made.

Teknoman said:
How are the 3D effects?

Outside of cutscenes, the 3D effects are very nice. Little details such as floating particles and butterflys really pop but not in an in-your-face way.

Ridley327

Mutanthands said:
Picked up my first two games at Gamestop today, Ridge Racer 3D and Ghost Recon. I had a reserve on Ridge Racer, but I only decided to get Ghost Recon after seeing the gameplay video last night. I got the only unreserved copy.

It wouldn't suprise me if Ghost Recon didn't ship very much due to little or no reservations. I would suggest that if you want it, pick it up today. Don't wait for Sunday.
Of the Ubi Soft titles we got in, that was the one with the second least amount of copies, but we're talking 14 of GR compared to 4 of that shitty dinosaur game. Availability should be OK, but it would be wise to take up your advice to get it early.

Other potential low-shipment games are going to include Ridge Racer, PES 2011, Samurai Warriors and Bust-A-Move. Our store has more than 50 copies of Madden, which makes me wonder why the hell we have more than 50 copies of Madden.

Are Star Fox and Zelda confirmed to run at 60FPS in 3D mode?

Also, I am dreaming of classic Megaman (1-6) ports on 3DS, running in 3D. Is there any 2D games on the system yet?

Also, how is Super Monkey Ball? Is it 60FPS in 3D? Couldn't find an OT for that game. I think it would be pretty tough to play since you have to rotate the screen, knocking you in and out of 3D views.

bananaman1234

Unconfirmed Member
Arpharmd B said:
Are Star Fox and Zelda confirmed to run at 60FPS in 3D mode?

Also, I am dreaming of classic Megaman (1-6) ports on 3DS, running in 3D. Is there any 2D games on the system yet?

Also, how is Super Monkey Ball? Is it 60FPS in 3D? Couldn't find an OT for that game. I think it would be pretty tough to play since you have to rotate the screen, knocking you in and out of 3D views.

I heard OoT was 30 fps in both modes.

Ridley327 said:
Of the Ubi Soft titles we got in, that was the one with the second least amount of copies, but we're talking 14 of GR compared to 4 of that shitty dinosaur game. Availability should be OK, but it would be wise to take up your advice to get it early.

Other potential low-shipment games are going to include Ridge Racer, PES 2011, Samurai Warriors and Bust-A-Move. Our store has more than 50 copies of Madden, which makes me wonder why the hell we have more than 50 copies of Madden.
yeah, i saw only two copies of Ridge Racer in the backroom at my Gamestop last night. unless they're shipping more later, it's going to be hard to find it. no other 3DS game that came in had that few copies.

i have my copy in hand now, so i'm not worried, but that's one i think people need to pull the trigger on if they definately want it.

i mean, they could be sending a second batch of loads of copies later this week, but that leaves me wondering why the hell they'd do that. why ship out two copies five days before launch and then loads a couple of days later?

Chairhome

Man, I keep changing my mind about what to get. I have Pilotwings on order already from Amazon, but might cancel it to get it at TRU. I've read a couple reviews that its not worth the price for how much gameplay there actually is, but I like Pilotwings, and 1st party games don't usually drop in price too fast. SSFIV was a day one for me, but I had mixed feelings playing it at PAX East. I've been thinking about Nintendogs but I remember how fast the first one got boring to me, but I figured it might be fun to play with my 3 yr old. Steel Diver never really interested me, and Rayman might be good since I never played the old one. AHHHHHH, need more money, haha.

I think my best course of action would be to cancel Pilotwings on Amazon, get SSFIV w/ the $10 credit, then get Pilotwings and Nintendogs at TRU.

I'm thinking out loud, I know...

Great OT, I love it when OT's answer a majority of my questions!

I'm probably picking up Rayman, never played 2 (that I remember) and definitely going with my boy BLUE 3DS. Already paid off at GS and will be happily playing on Sunday morning!

My quick question though ... How is there no mention of Bust A Move? I see it in the launch lineup but that's seriously the first time I've seen it. Is it making the launch? Is it crap? I'd love a cool puzzle game on the system but right now looking for Rayman and/or Bust A Move/Super Monkey Ball (as long as SMB is decent).

Ridley327

plagiarize said:
yeah, i saw only two copies of Ridge Racer in the backroom at my Gamestop last night. unless they're shipping more later, it's going to be hard to find it. no other 3DS game that came in had that few copies.

i have my copy in hand now, so i'm not worried, but that's one i think people need to pull the trigger on if they definately want it.

i mean, they could be sending a second batch of loads of copies later this week, but that leaves me wondering why the hell they'd do that. why ship out two copies five days before launch and then loads a couple of days later?
The answer to your question, and many more regarding the company, is "Scamco lol."

Ridley327

mjc said:
I wonder if SSFIV came out today too.
That's street-dated for Sunday. The games that streeted today are:

-Madden
-The Sims 3
-Ridge Racer
-Asphalt 3D
-Combat of Giants: Kids Like Dinosaurs, Right?
-Ghost Recon
-Rayman 3D

antonz

botticus said:
Well, thanks to $250-$450 in side income, definitely getting the black 3DS now so I don't have to worry about it later. Thinking about partaking in TRU's deal for Ghost Recon and Steel Diver, but I'll wait for more impressions before committing there.

Will also grab the Hori screen protectors and debate a case (both the executive and the Pull and Go look pretty solid, with different design goals).

I ended up settling on the pull and go. You get the executive style case that you can remove and take with you when you dont need the whole thing so it seems like the better deal.

Ill sign in for the Aqua Blue one, possibly no game. I was interested in the ghost recon shadow wars but havent seen any reviews and such. Better to choose no game than a half done game...

mjc

Ridley327 said:
That's street-dated for Sunday. The games that streeted today are:

-Madden
-The Sims 3
-Ridge Racer
-Asphalt 3D
-Combat of Giants: Kids Like Dinosaurs, Right?
-Ghost Recon
-Rayman 3D

Guess I'll have to go grab my Ridge Racer preorder after work then. Thanks!

Poyunch

I think I'll wait for Rayman 3D to drop in price. I've never played it but I'm not going to buy it until reviews come in and I might as well just wait for a price drop.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Fernando Rocker said:
And still, no one believes me about the goodness of Super Monkey Ball 3DS...

I want to believe. I hope they have it at the street demos on the 26th, so it'll convince me. Maybe someone should start an |OT| to raise awareness? *hint hint*

mj1108 said:
Got mine preordered through Amazon but wondering if the 24 hour WalMarts will be selling at midnight? A new 24 hour WalMart just opened near here....wondering if they would be a better bet.
I can't confirm it's always that way at all stores, but seems like they tend to. Tip, though: You might want to ask if there's a place to line up. Night of Wii launch I was aimlessly hanging around electronics for an hour or two before somebody told me they were having Wii people wait in the lawn and garden section.
Big Ass Ramp said:
is animal crossing one of the games in the launch "window?"
Nope.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Fernando Rocker said:
And still, no one believes me about the goodness of Super Monkey Ball 3DS...

We'll rally the troops my friend! Just made the amazon pre order, and now i await it to be posted to Australia!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom