• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you want to see from the new Nintendo system?

What do I WANT?

I want a dedicated home console that's a half-gen ahead of PS5/Series X, that will get the best console versions of third-party games and a Zelda that is the new benchmark in terms of graphics and performance.

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter what I want. I'll be there day one for whatever.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I know this is a little unrealistic, but I want to see a new Switch that destroys the Steam Deck in power.

3070 GPU at the very least.
Zen 4 CPU
12 inch screen (I know it's not going to be OLED)
6 hour battery life.
Some bleeding edge tech cooling system (Magnesium cooling?)

As I said, I know that's a tiny bit unrealistic, but a man can dream.

3070 at LEAST dude that's like an Xbox Series X. A little unrealistic is an understatement lol.

Like daydreaming that the next Game Boy destroys Game Gear with a PC Pentium processor.

The mobile 3070 uses 125 watts of power. The Switch system uses 6.

You crazy

• Handheld-only version like Switch Lite should be available from launch
  • Clamshell design like GBA SP to protect the screen.
  • Backwards compatibility.
  • 1080p screen without bezels.
  • Enough power to run games at native resolution and at last solid 30fps.
  • Squishy buttons (hate that clicky stuff on the OG and OLED Switch).
  • More varied game line-up.
  • More consistent release schedule (5 years wait for TotK is a disgrace).
  • Less ports & remakes.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I want a dedicated home console that's a half-gen ahead of PS5/Series X, that will get the best console versions of third-party games and a Zelda that is the new benchmark in terms of graphics and performance.
Now that's pipe dream material. I don't think Nintendo will ever go back to fully home consoles, they've just realized that market isn't for them.

poodaddy

Dreamcast and Sega Saturn online libraries to go with the current libraries
complete backwards compatibility with entire Switch library
Dreamcast and Saturn online libraries
support for VRR and 120 hz support would be nice but I know that's a pipe dream
Dreamcast library
Expansion of current online libraries, particularly the Gameboy and GBA
Dreamcast
60 fps patches for 30 fps first party titles on Switch, like the Zelda's.
DREAM.
CAST.

This is a very odd list. What criteria are you using here to decide if something is made "in house" by NCL and why does being in house matter?
Any game made by NCL and given the weak tech spec's when it comes to 3rd party games I'll go with the Series X or PS5

Isn’t NCL just short for Nintendo? That’d include all their subsidiaries as well so that’s hardly true.

And even if you only count the EPD team at Nintendo they must have made at least 10+ games in addition to those you’ve mentioned. Most of it is just casual stuff like 1-2-Switch.
Nintendo Japan

NCL has only made a handful of native Switch games this gen. The rest are either ports from the Wii U or outsourced, none of which interested me at all.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Dreamcast and Sega Saturn online libraries to go with the current libraries
complete backwards compatibility with entire Switch library
Dreamcast and Saturn online libraries
support for VRR and 120 hz support would be nice but I know that's a pipe dream
Dreamcast library
Expansion of current online libraries, particularly the Gameboy and GBA
Dreamcast
60 fps patches for 30 fps first party titles on Switch, like the Zelda's.
DREAM.
CAST.
holy shit
you want dreamcast games on a Switch?
well i have the perfect device for you!
BTDuGUz.png

the_master

What I want:
Incredibly powerful and super low power consumption console, with revolutionary technology, that will advance mankind as a whole.
A next gen VR only console that will deliver incredible and innovative AAA experiences. And since I am just wishing, instead of VR a Matrix like console

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The mobile 3070 uses 125 watts of power. The Switch system uses 6.
well, thanks for reminding me that even the Steam Deck is woefully inefficient when compared to the Switch (22w vs 5w).... AMD step up your efficiency game we need better processors!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Woopah

Any game made by NCL and given the weak tech spec's when it comes to 3rd party games I'll go with the Series X or PS5
NCL itself is just the publisher. The games you put were a partial list of the first party Switch games worked on by EPD10, EPD8, EPD3, MonolithSoft, Eighting and 1UP. So I was wondering why you chose those games but not others.

Development is done by its different subsidaries (EPD, MonolithSoft, SRD, ND Cube etc. etc.) often in collaboration with the internal studios in the West or with their external parters. That's the way Nintnedo has operated for decades. Even the Wii U ports were done that way.

Nintendo could go out and buy Intelligent Systems, HAL, Good Feel, Grezzo, Platinum etc. or hire the people at the teams they work with at Koei Tecmo and Bandai Namco but that wouldn't really change much.

Them being willing to collaborate with studios they don't own results in more games for players.

Last edited:
NCL itself is just the publisher.

Development is done by its different subsidaries (EPD, MonolithSoft, SRD, ND Cube etc. etc.) often in collaboration with the internal studios in the West or with their external parters. That's the way Nintnedo has operated for decades. Even the Wii U ports were done that way.

Nintendo could go out and buy Intelligent Systems, HAL, Good Feel, Grezzo, Platinum etc. or hire the people at the teams they work with at Koei Tecmo and Bandai Namco but that wouldn't really change much.

Them being willing to collaborate with studios they don't own results in more games for players.
It's like saying SEGA Japan is just a publisher. Like for SEGA Japan, I care about what NCL make In-House not what is outsourced.

I was expecting with the merging of the Console and handheld lines of NCL, for NCL to be more productive with their games, boy did I get that one wrong.
Hopefully it be with the Switch 2, but I doubt it, still at least we will get a native new Mario Kart game.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Way better and more ergonomic joy-cons. The current ones are beyond shit! And more power, of course. Way more power! Other than that, I'm good.

Woopah

It's like saying SEGA Japan is just a publisher. Like for SEGA Japan, I care about what NCL make In-House not what is outsourced.

I was expecting with the merging of the Console and handheld lines of NCL, for NCL to be more productive with their games, boy did I get that one wrong.
Hopefully it be with the Switch 2, but I doubt it, still at least we will get a native new Mario Kart game.
What I'm tying to understand is how you got those 4 games:

• Why would a game that only EPD5 worked on (Animal Crossing) count as "in hosue" but the others made only by EPD5 (Splatoon 2 and 3) not count
  • MonolithSoft worked on TOTK and that is on the list, but the Xenoblade games they worked on are not on the list
  • EPD10 worked with Eighting on Pikmin 4 and that is on the list, but EPD teams worked with external partners on many other games and those are not on the list

To speak to your broader point, is the amount you care for Pikmin 4 really impacted by the fact Nintendo collaborated with Eighting? When we get Mario Kart 9, will it matter if Bandai Namco are invoved in it like they were with Mario Kart 8?

What I'm tying to understand is how you got those 4 games:

• Why would a game that only EPD5 worked on (Animal Crossing) count as "in hosue" but the others made only by EPD5 (Splatoon 2 and 3) not count
  • MonolithSoft worked on TOTK and that is on the list, but the Xenoblade games they worked on are not on the list
  • EPD10 worked with Eighting on Pikmin 4 and that is on the list, but EPD teams worked with external partners on many other games and those are not on the list

To speak to your broader point, is the amount you care for Pikmin 4 really impacted by the fact Nintendo collaborated with Eighting? When we get Mario Kart 9, will it matter if Bandai Namco are invoved in it like they were with Mario Kart 8?
I'll say again a handful of games and that's really what it is when you take out Wii U ports like Splatoon 2, Zelda: BOTW, Mario Kart Ect. One hopes for better next-gen, but Nintendo's In-House production has been low since the Cube days

Still hope one day we'll get an NCL made Wave Race, F-Zero and Star Fox like in the good old N64 days.

I

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
NCL is Nintendo Japan. What next, Sonic, Yakuza isn't made by SEGA Japan

Give me a break...
But NCL isn’t a developer. It’d be a lot easier to understand what you meant if you specified the actual developer, not “Nintendo Japan”. What does that mean? Is Monolith Soft part of Nintendo Japan?

calistan

I think people want Nintendo to publish a steady stream of good games, and their practice of collaborating with others helps them do that. I don't think anyone has ever cared that Smash Bros., Kirby, Fire Emblem etc. have never been produced "in house".

To give a recent example, Nintendo's EPD10 studio is putting out two games this year, Pikmin 4 and Super Mario Bros. Wonder. But that is only possible becuase EPD10 worked with another studio (Eighting) on Pikmin 4.

Nintendo being willing to work with studios they don't own results in more games being released, so surely that's a good thing no?
Personally I don't care who produces the game if it's good, I'm just thinking of the massive games that are generally made by their own studios, like a proper 3D Mario, a new Zelda, Mario Kart or whatever. Those are few and far between.

That's the main reason I don't think I'd be on board with a new Nintendo system, at least not as an early adopter. You're buying a system purely so they can drip-feed their games to you over the next decade. Here's your new Mario, wait until three years into the life of our next console for the sequel!

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
You're buying a system purely so they can drip-feed their games to you over the next decade. Here's your new Mario, wait until three years into the life of our next console for the sequel!
Yep. I'm sure it takes a lot of time to make a new 3D mario but surely it couldn't be too much to ask for a sequel using mechanics that were cut from teh previous game.... right???

Meanwhile Zelda gets 2 or more games per console. 2 N64 games, 2 GC games, 1 Wii game, 2 Switch games.

Woopah

I'll say again a handful of games and that's really what it is when you take out Wii U ports like Splatoon 2, Zelda: BOTW, Mario Kart Ect. One hopes for better next-gen, but Nintendo's In-House production has been low since the Cube days

Still hope one day we'll get an NCL made Wave Race, F-Zero and Star Fox like in the good old N64 days.

I
You would still have Arms, the Splotoon games, Xenoblade 2 and 3, everything by ND Cube, Mario Maker 2, and the many many other games that EPD were involved in. Its far more than a handful.

frahko

Neo Member
I want it to go ballistic on Nvidias AI efforts regarding AI assisted rendering, speech and imagine recognition.

I want a new gimmick too. Even if it's a minor thing, there's a new gimmick for sure.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
The most important thing for me is availability. I want to be able to buy one from a store or from Amazon day 1.

Second most important is backwards compatibility. I dont own a switch so I would hope that it will work with Switch1 games.

kunonabi

There is a lot I want them to fix but I'll settle for a damn dpad and actual effort in more of their first party releases.

Lone Wolf

We all want a lot, but I don’t expect a huge upgrade with the Switch 2. Probably 128GB storage and 8Gigs of RAM. I’d like double those numbers, but Nintendo will not want to make this thing expensive or short on battery life.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
We all want a lot, but I don’t expect a huge upgrade with the Switch 2. Probably 128GB storage and 8Gigs of RAM. I’d like double those numbers, but Nintendo will not want to make this thing expensive or short on battery life.

200.gif

calistan

The most important thing for me is availability. I want to be able to buy one from a store or from Amazon day 1.

Second most important is backwards compatibility. I dont own a switch so I would hope that it will work with Switch1 games.
Backwards compatibility would have scuttled their business model with the Switch. No incentive to sign up to their online service, and less opportunity for them to sell you their games from the previous gen.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Backwards compatibility would have scuttled their business model with the Switch. No incentive to sign up to their online service, and less opportunity for them to sell you their games from the previous gen.
except that the online service didn't have Wii U games on it. Not to mention that while they can use the excuse of the Wii U being a flop for the Wii U ports, it won't bode as well again considering that the Switch was a success.

I expect a new Mario Kart.

Woopah

Personally I don't care who produces the game if it's good, I'm just thinking of the massive games that are generally made by their own studios, like a proper 3D Mario, a new Zelda, Mario Kart or whatever. Those are few and far between.

That's the main reason I don't think I'd be on board with a new Nintendo system, at least not as an early adopter. You're buying a system purely so they can drip-feed their games to you over the next decade. Here's your new Mario, wait until three years into the life of our next console for the sequel!
A lot of their big franchises are made by their own studios but others like Smash Bros. are not.

I definitely think it has been too long since the last new Mario Kart and 3D Mario, but in terms of good ganes overall they release them at a steady pace, rather than drip feeding them.

Sojiro

Backward capability is is the main one for me, and I really would like to see more durable Joycons that have an actual d-pad instead of buttons. DLSS support is likely a given so I don't really need to wish for it at this point. I feel like a lot of people are setting themselves up for disappointment with the unrealistic power upgrades I have seen posted.

Mr.ODST

Backwards Compatability

We all know how shit of a company Nintendo are when its comes to doing anything decent for a customer so hopefully they include it

calistan

A lot of their big franchises are made by their own studios but others like Smash Bros. are not.

I definitely think it has been too long since the last new Mario Kart and 3D Mario, but in terms of good ganes overall they release them at a steady pace, rather than drip feeding them.
They know what they're doing, that's for sure. I just hope for a bit more out of my first couple of years with a console than getting one or two brilliantly polished 80-hour games and basically nothing else I'm interested in.

They didn't even give us a proper new Mario Kart this time, it was just a leftover from their last console with some DLC. Man, I'd almost forgotten about that DLC. Bought it, waited years for the various packs to be handed out. I should load the game up one more time to see if it's finally complete.

Metnut

Starts and ends with backwards compatibility. If they have it, I’m in day 1. If not, I’ll probably wait a while.

Woopah

They know what they're doing, that's for sure. I just hope for a bit more out of my first couple of years with a console than getting one or two brilliantly polished 80-hour games and basically nothing else I'm interested in.

They didn't even give us a proper new Mario Kart this time, it was just a leftover from their last console with some DLC. Man, I'd almost forgotten about that DLC. Bought it, waited years for the various packs to be handed out. I should load the game up one more time to see if it's finally complete.
Obviously personal preference affects a lot but I do agree that they have messed up Mario Kart.

I don't mind that EPD9 decided to make a new IP (Arms) first, but they have been wasted for the rest of this generation by working on Mario Kart Tour, and they are now trying to salvage that time by porting the mobile courses to Switch as DLC.

I hope on Switch they give us Mario Kart 9 and another new IP.

If the next Switch is like PS4/Xbone level I’d at least like them to give cartoony/cell shaded Zelda a break and do semi realism again with a more traditional structure and actual dungeons. But instead we’ll get BotW3 with the map copy-pasted again.

Not worried about Metroid, the studios they have on it now are good. If MP4 isn’t vapor ware or pushed back to Switch 2 I’ll be surprised.

I’d kill for a Xenoblade X 2 on new hardware.

Last edited:
You would still have Arms, the Splotoon games, Xenoblade 2 and 3, everything by ND Cube, Mario Maker 2, and the many many other games that EPD were involved in. Its far more than a handful.
I'll give you Arms, that's not a bad game Tbh. But spare me on Mario Maker 2

But NCL isn’t a developer. It’d be a lot easier to understand what you meant if you specified the actual developer, not “Nintendo Japan”. What does that mean? Is Monolith Soft part of Nintendo Japan?
Trying to have a debate with the Nintendo faithful, is like pulling teeth.
SEGA Japan isn't a developer, Capcom isn't a developer, and Square isn't a developer.

My mistake...

Robb

Gold Member
Trying to have a debate with the Nintendo faithful, is like pulling teeth.
SEGA Japan isn't a developer, Capcom isn't a developer, and Square isn't a developer.

My mistake...
How do you expect to have a conversation if you can’t explain yourself? I have no clue what you mean, ask for how you reason to try and understand, and you label me as Nintendo faithful, whatever that implies to you.

Show me a game where the developer is specifically stated as “Nintendo Japan”. Sounds like it should be pretty easy for you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom