• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you want to see from the new Nintendo system?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Lower prices and higher sales for their games would be nice, for once.

They should also consider a variant of the joycons that aren't uncomfortable pieces of trash, or better yet sell a model without them and just give us a tablet with attached, comfy controllers and an actual home controller instead. It's not like anyone actually uses those vienna sausages to play 2 player.... do they?

I want more games. Simple as. We got ONE 3D Sandbox Mario game. just one. I know that's common in the grand scheme of things but after the Wii gen where we got not just 1 but 2 3D mainline marios...
Democratic Party No GIF by The Democrats

Switch had a shitton of games and this year was a great year for Nintendo... But not getting enough 3D mario is a crime, IMO. We need that, and more stuff regarding Zelda. They should consider doing a "New Zelda" in the same way they did Mario, where they make new 2D Zeldas/3D Zeldas in the dungeon crawler style.

I want an OS that isn't soulless, featureless, and overall BORING. They added a themes tab in the menu only for it to have 2 customization options when you got a lot more back in the 3DS era. No option to pan headphone speakers, which is a shame, too.
People may consider it unnecessary, i think it's important. One of Nintendo's most important aspect is their charm, it's quite lacking when the system is a white or black blank simplistic menu where the most interesting thing about it is the sounds that each menu item makes. as opposed to the sheer soul the 3DS, Wii, and Wii U had in their system menus.

I want Miiverse back.

Price is whatever, just don't make it 500 dollars. I'll never pay for a 500 dollar Nintendo system unless it's got the power to justify it

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
A more attractive library. At this point, I accepted that the Nintendo of the 90s and early 2000s would not return, but even the Wii U reasoned with me more despite its flaws. I'll probably pick it up for the new Mario game a few years down the road though.
Your points hit the spot as well, and price wise I personally bet it will be at least $400. People expecting $300 again are in for a big surprise lol.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
A more attractive library.
Honestly i thought the same, but then i looked back and realized we got a lot more than i remember. I feel we had more variety back when handheld and home were split, but 2017, 2019, 2021, and 23 are all great years for the system.

Still Nintendo needs to make up for what was lost when the shut down the handheld division. I want to see Wario Land, Mario & Luigi, and Rhythm Heaven back.

supernova8

Banned
I'd be content if it had more or less exactly the same form factor but was beefier specs-wise (and maybe sliiiightly beefier hand grips). If ASUS can make the ROG Ally as small and light as it is (I tried it out in a shop and it didn't feel super heavy despite being much heavier than the Switch on paper) then surely Nintendo can do it.

Problem is that Nintendo will want to make gigantic margins on each unit sold so we're most likely not getting juicy specs (assuming they target a $299-$349 ish MSRP).

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Don't really care as long as the games look good on big screen 4k TV. Something I don't think any handheld is able to do, at this point, without an eGPU.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
If ASUS can make the ROG Ally as small and light as it is
maybe it's light but that thing is not small LOL. it's still too vertically tall and wide. Not perfect, yet.

I was going to say that PC handhelds have a long way to go before they meet the form factor of the Switch, but then AYANEO told me to shut the fuck up.

vaUAi6Z.png

It's not really a matter of when it happens, but when it will start being adopted more by the main companies making these handheld PCs.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Something I don't think any handheld is able to do, at this point, without an eGPU.
oh shit, that's another good one. I thought of the idea of a supercharged dock years ago and i still want it to be a thing. More ram, better GPU (it can be as powerful as a 1650, it'll be better than what we currently have), anything, if it means games will run at 60fps and 1440p.

Five years without puking out another Mario or Zelda game. These franchises are done to death, with very little innovation (come at me), while they are sitting on a ton of interesting IP that are criminally neglected. Won't happen, of course.

supernova8

Banned
maybe it's light but that thing is not small LOL. it's still too vertically tall and wide. Not perfect, yet.
Assuming Nintendo would go for roughly the same form factor, what sort of specs do you think (speculation of course) we would get if they targeted, say, $349?

(To be clear, I think we're obviously not getting anywhere near Ayaneo/ROG ally-level specs)

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
What I really wanted was an OLED screen from day one, but it sounds like that ain’t happening.

Other than that I’d like to see:

DLSS to be a thing and that it also helps a lot with performance.

A new Mario Kart game.

Improved JoyCons that don’t get stick-drift as easily.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Assuming Nintendo would go for roughly the same form factor, what sort of specs do you think (speculation of course) we would get if they targeted, say, $349?

(To be clear, I think we're obviously not getting anywhere near Ayaneo/ROG ally-level specs)
to be frank i am the last person you should be asking this on as i'm basically a dunderhead when it comes to mobile ARM hardware.

I guess it'd be something similar to the AYN Odin's Dimensity D900 chip. You can buy that system for around 200 dollars so i'm assuming it's very cheap to put in a system, and it's powerful enough to emulate up to PS2 consistently, it'd be a great upgrade from the Switch's Tegra X1.

That being said i feel like 350 is a bit low, like nial nial said i heavily doubt this will be anything lower than 400 dollars. If we put it up by 50 bucks something like Snapdragon 7+ gen 2 would be good.

nial

Gold Member
Honestly i thought the same, but then i looked back and realized we got a lot more than i remember. I feel we had more variety back when handheld and home were split, but 2017, 2019, 2021, and 23 are all great years for the system.

Still Nintendo needs to make up for what was lost when the shut down the handheld division. I want to see Wario Land, Mario & Luigi, and Rhythm Heaven back.
I think 2017 was a good launch year and 2021 was a step up from previous years, but I find 2019 and 2023 having the same problem as they have some great stuff but the rest I don't really care for. Though yeah, it's mostly a 'me' thing, and if people love their current lineup, so be it.

Last edited:
Well apart from all the other things that's been mentioned - a UI that isn't rendered at like 480p or something, I can't believe how bad it looks on TV.

The only things I miss right now with the Switch is better joycons that aren't flimsy, plasticity unusable pieces of shit - with real buttons that aren't toddler sized, and a proper D-pad.. And at least enough power to render all games at 1080p60 docked.

(I'd love a new hand-painted 2D Mario with not one single ugly ass polygon in sight but that's not gonna happen. Or at least a 2D Mario that's fun, with lots of flying and vertical traversal.)

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I'd love a new hand-painted 2D Mario with not one single ugly ass polygon in sight but that's not gonna happen.
you will look at the polygons, you will look at the shiny, beautiful 3D models with great animation, and you will love them.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
They Joy Con concept was brilliant for the very reason why they are so horrible (easy to replace defectives). The design left a lot to be desired though from a comfort and usability standpoint not to mention the horrid reliability. I just want backward compatibility and the latest rumors are troublesome in that regard. DLSS would be nice but I enjoy my Switch and only use it on my LG OLED and the lack of resolution or horsepower has never really bothered me.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
They Joy Con concept was brilliant for the very reason why they are so horrible
pretty much.

They work so well at pretty much everything that doesn't involve being used as a regular full sized game controller. Their concept is legitimately at odds with what makes a good controller but they work so well for many different purposes that doesn't involve being used like a normal controller... Joycons are designed for games like Ring Fit, Switch Sports, ARMS and 1 2 Switch. Not games like Xenoblade 3, TOTK and Smash Ultimate.

It gets worse when you realize that they're the only thing that comes with the console and there's no other controller included.

Last edited:

ahtlas7

To start, It needs to be more than Switch 1.2.

give us improvements in:
resolutions for portable but especially docked mode. Sharpen the image already.
more ram to support larger textures. My eyes need to feel the rocks.
faster speeds for improved load times
large improvements in render quality/time. DLSS if implemented correctly. Kill those eye damaging jaggies.
portable screen that supports the above improvements. OLED from launch
major revision to the ‘joycons’
backward compatibility. Continued physical support.
ship in a reusable case. See Steam Deck.

In House new games and not In-House ports of Switch software. The only Swtich games NCL have really made this gen are Mario Oddesy, Zelda: TOTK. Pikmin 4 and Animal Crossing

Patrick S.

Banned
Better ergonomics that don’t give me carpal tunnel syndrome, using sticks that don’t drift after a month. Slightly bigger OLED screen. Backwards compatibility. More performance. All in all, I think that’s more or less what we are going to get.

NahaNago

Much better hardware. At least xbox series s level if it is a console. If it is a handheld I'd like the ds style to comeback or that samsung style foldable screen for a larger handheld.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I know this is a little unrealistic, but I want to see a new Switch that destroys the Steam Deck in power.

3070 GPU at the very least.
Zen 4 CPU
12 inch screen (I know it's not going to be OLED)
6 hour battery life.
Some bleeding edge tech cooling system (Magnesium cooling?)

As I said, I know that's a tiny bit unrealistic, but a man can dream.

Filben

Backwards compatibility.
The option to buy classics instead of rent them through a subscription model.
Better performance with decent up scaling tech like DLSS/FSR or at the very least TAA instead of shitty FXAA/SMAA they still seem to be using in the majority of games (those jagged edges looking horrid).
OLED screen should be a standard by now.

Robb

Gold Member
The only Swtich games NCL have really made this gen are Mario Oddesy, Zelda: TOTK. Pikmin 4 and Animal Crossing
Isn’t NCL just short for Nintendo? That’d include all their subsidiaries as well so that’s hardly true.

And even if you only count the EPD team at Nintendo they must have made at least 10+ games in addition to those you’ve mentioned. Most of it is just casual stuff like 1-2-Switch.

Last edited:
Basically what we have right now but call it "Switch 2" and give it exclusive titles and have full BC support for Switch (1) games.

It should of course have upgraded specs like faster CPU, more powerful GPU, more RAM, larger SSD. Keep the same 720p screen. 1080p would be nice but I'd prefer longer battery life in handheld. When docked it should aim for 4K. If it can run a game natively then great but they should make use of DLSS (and whatever the AMD version is) to upscale to 4K.

It's really that simple.... Switch is a huge success so Nintendo don't need to do anything crazy.

Woopah

My main wants are:
  • Improved joy stick quality
  • Backwards compatible
  • Powerful enough to get better third party support
  • Some innovation to increas flexability that I would never have thought of (like Switch have a tabletop mode, oe being able to turn the joy cons sideways and sue them as an individual controller

In House new games and not In-House ports of Switch software. The only Swtich games NCL have really made this gen are Mario Oddesy, Zelda: TOTK. Pikmin 4 and Animal Crossing
This is a very odd list. What criteria are you using here to decide if something is made "in house" by NCL and why does being in house matter?

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Impossible dream but I want just a standard console with no screen.
Not happening as long as Pokémon is one of their biggest IPs. Pokémon literally kept Nintendo afloat for the past two decades before they figured out that their home systems weren’t what the market wanted, with the lucky exception that was the Wii.

I’d like these things:
- expand their online catalogue of old games, with more options for audio and video emulation, and for the love of God don’t restart the “virtual console“ service from scratch again.
- figure a way to offer Wii and DS/3DS games without the need for remasters or peripherals.
- DLSS or something similar.
- more small games like they used to make for their handhelds. We don’t need more mainline Mario and Zelda, we need smaller games that cost less and can still be a lot of fun. Not every game from their IPs needs to be as big as Odyssey or TOTK.
- better controllers, but this is unlikely as Nintendo are penny pinchers and it’s not like their competitors have better quality control there. The Joycons really need to have a small footprint, after all. At least make the Pro Controller really good, with no-drift sticks and a D-pad on par with the NES/SNES.
- make it so that I can use all of Nintendo’s services from the console itself. Why do I need to access their website from another machine for rewards and other stuff?
- make the bloody eShop not a fucking slog to navigate.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
A more powerful Switch with backwards compatibility is all they need to do. They're in a Playstation 1 to Playstation 2 moment. Don't fuck with huge success too much, just improve.

I buy Nintendo consoles to play Nintendo games.

What I want from Nintendo is follow-through.

Metroid Prime 4 was announced and they've been content to say nothing more, since. It's looking like a cross-gen launch at this point.

Woopah

Surely that's the main reason for buying any Nintendo system.
I think people want Nintendo to publish a steady stream of good games, and their practice of collaborating with others helps them do that. I don't think anyone has ever cared that Smash Bros., Kirby, Fire Emblem etc. have never been produced "in house".

To give a recent example, Nintendo's EPD10 studio is putting out two games this year, Pikmin 4 and Super Mario Bros. Wonder. But that is only possible becuase EPD10 worked with another studio (Eighting) on Pikmin 4.

Nintendo being willing to work with studios they don't own results in more games being released, so surely that's a good thing no?

Robb

Gold Member
Metroid Prime 4 was announced and they've been content to say nothing more, since.
Not entirely true considering they did announce it got scrapped and handed to another studio in 2019 (original announcement was in 2017 iirc).

But yeah, it’s been very quiet since the reboot news.

I’m definitely thinking it’ll be a cross-gen title at this point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom