• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Preview. This is the real review with the finalized components. Last night they teased on Twitter that there were some big differences between the 120GB and 240GB models.

TheExodu5

Banned
I posted yesterday what you can probably expect: worst case scenario of halved write speeds accross the board (though not that bad in random 4K writes).

LegoDad

I have a high pitched noise coming from my computer, I think it's the PSU, is this normal in PSU's and just mean I need to RMA it, or could it be my graphics card?

Sanic

Pandoracell said:
I was planning on buying this CPU from the OP, but then I noticed that my motherboard only supports AM2+. AM3 CPUs aren't BC with that socket, right? If not, what CPU is it recommended I purchase in a similar price range?

Anyone? And something I didn't think of: do CPU fans come with the CPU?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
opticalmace said:
This is going to be a pretty frustrating conclusion to write. I'm still waiting for the final, shipping 240GB Vertex 3 to arrive before passing judgement on it but from what I've seen thus far it looks like that may be the drive to get if you're torn between the two. I feel like if you're going to be working with a lot of incompressible data (e.g. pictures, movies) on your drive then you'll want to either go for the 240GB version or perhaps consider a more traditional controller. The performance impact the 120GB sees when working with incompressible data just puts it below what I would consider the next-generation performance threshold.
Damn it. I intended to use it as a OS/gaming drive, leaving the actual work to my conventional HDD. Now I'm not completely sure if the Vertex 3 is going to be a good option.

Edit: It looks fine, but still.

Edit 2: It is clear that the Vertex 3 is a fast drive, but performance is pretty damn embarrassing in this particular test.

36500.png

TheExodu5

Banned
opticalmace said:

Only partway through the review so far. Anand does it again. The background info and explanation of the problems the SandForce drive makers are facing is very insightful.

Thankfully, sequential write speeds are pretty much the least important in terms of real world performance. I suppose it could have a big impact when it comes to compressing files, but that's about it.

Random writes are apparently pretty important though, according to TheSSDReview...haven't gotten to the benchmark portion of the review yet.

mkenyon

Banned
Pandoracell said:
Anyone? And something I didn't think of: do CPU fans come with the CPU?
Correct, you cannot put AM3 procs in AM2+ boards. Also yes, if you buy a retail box of a CPU, it comes with a heatsink.

caliblue15 said:
I have a high pitched noise coming from my computer, I think it's the PSU, is this normal in PSU's and just mean I need to RMA it, or could it be my graphics card?
It's probably a fan. Listen close to figure out which one. Components generally don't make noise outside of HDDs.

Funky Papa said:
Edit 2: It is clear that the Vertex 3 is a fast drive, but performance is pretty damn embarrassing in this particular test.
You're suffering from chart-itis. Those are still good #'s, and in a benchmark that won't really effect your OS/Gaming experience.

TheExodu5

Banned
Yeah after looking over the review, the Vertex 3 120GB model sufferers everywhere, including reads. Definitely not nearly as good as the 240GB drive. Given the fact that the 240GB drive is also a much lower $/GB, I probably wouldn't go with the 120GB model.

Sarcasm said:
Where would the Intel 320 120gb be on that chart?

No idea until we see reviews of the lower end models.

If it's anything like the X25-M series, you may expect half the write speeds under the worst case scenario. Not a huge deal in most real world applications.

Sanic

mkenyon said:
Correct, you cannot put AM3 procs in AM2+ boards. Also yes, if you buy a retail box of a CPU, it comes with a heatsink.

Thank you. What CPU would be recommended in my case?

Sanic

mkenyon said:
Eh.... there really isn't much to recommend. You need to do a system upgrade if you want to get more.

Motherboard's that old, huh? :/ really was hoping I wouldn't have to touch that for awhile. So there's nothing at all worthwhile that I could get? I'd like to weigh my options, at least.

My little $500 pc project is balooning to $800+. I'll need to go about this better next time.

edit: Wikipedia is telling me that an AM3 proc will work on an AM2+ MB, but i'm assuming that's wrong? My motherboard is from late '09.

Smokey

IMAG0029.jpg

IMAG0076.jpg

IMAG0031.jpg

Case and PSU arrived today from Amazon. My first thoughts were DAT damn box. The box is huge. I'm looking at it like what the fuck? Is this a full tower, did Amazon fuck up? Turns out they didn't. Took it out of the packaging and looked at the case. Pretty damn nice and solid. Also a long case but it looks like there will be plenty of room. Fans everywhere. Thanks for the recommendation Exodu5!

And yes...I will be keeping the wrapping on the window hood style :lol J/K

GTX 580
HDD
SDD
RAM

is all that remains now.

mkenyon

Banned
Pandoracell said:
Motherboard's that old, huh? :/ really was hoping I wouldn't have to touch that for awhile. So there's nothing at all worthwhile that I could get? I'd like to weigh my options, at least.

My little $500 pc project is balooning to $800+. I'll need to go about this better next time.

edit: Wikipedia is telling me that an AM3 proc will work on an AM2+ MB, but i'm assuming that's wrong? My motherboard is from late '09.
Check with your manufacturer whether or not it supports it. Some do, but it does lock out some abilities of the proc, and gives you reduced performance. A nice AM3 board is only $70-80. Also, upgrading to an AM3 board will be a one time deal, as AM3+ will be out in June. No more AM3 procs.

Otherwise, your choices for the best of the AM2+ are the 9xxx series of Phenom II X4's. I had a 9850 until last fall, as it was bottlenecking my performance in just about everything. Really, you'd be doing yourself a disservice by going with one unless you just can't find room in your budget.

Pandoracell said:
This is my motherboard, and under specifications it says it supports AM3 procs, so can I use the proc I want to or not?
Oh yes, that's a great little board. Have the same exact one in my Media Center PC. Yes, that guy supports AM3.

Smokey

BloodySinner said:
I fucking hate windowed side panel, but that case will last you years.

Good to hear. It was a bit on the pricey side but I figured it's worth it since you know...this is where my stuff will reside for the next x amount of years. Might as well get a good one.

LegoDad

mkenyon said:
It's probably a fan. Listen close to figure out which one. Components generally don't make noise outside of HDDs.

I know it's not a fan, I've pulled each one out and it still happens, I think it's coming from the PSU fan just wanted to make sure before I RMA it and then stuck with no PC for days.

Smokey

irishcow said:
Whats the difference between the Silverstone Fortress and the Raven rv02?

Rv02 is a full tower.

I'm interested in seeing that case in person. I think the FT02 is pretty big/tall for a mid-size.

Sanic

mkenyon said:
Check with your manufacturer whether or not it supports it. Some do, but it does lock out some abilities of the proc, and gives you reduced performance. A nice AM3 board is only $70-80. Also, upgrading to an AM3 board will be a one time deal, as AM3+ will be out in June. No more AM3 procs.

Otherwise, your choices for the best of the AM2+ are the 9xxx series of Phenom II X4's. I had a 9850 until last fall, as it was bottlenecking my performance in just about everything. Really, you'd be doing yourself a disservice by going with one unless you just can't find room in your budget.

Oh yes, that's a great little board. Have the same exact one in my Media Center PC. Yes, that guy supports AM3.

Thanks, really appreciate the help. I was hoping to wait another three years or so until I upgraded my motherboard and proc again, so this is good news.

TheExodu5

Banned
Smokey said:
Case and PSU arrived today from Amazon. My first thoughts were DAT damn box. The box is huge. I'm looking at it like what the fuck? Is this a full tower, did Amazon fuck up? Turns out they didn't. Took it out of the packaging and looked at the case. Pretty damn nice and solid. Also a long case but it looks like there will be plenty of room. Fans everywhere. Thanks for the recommendation Exodu5!

Hehe. You were worried that it would be small since it's a mid tower. Told you, it's actually a full tower disguised as a mid-tower. :p

irishcow said:
Whats the difference between the Silverstone Fortress and the Raven rv02?

Not much, I think. Functionally, they're mostly the same thing. I'd personally get the FT-02 just because it looks so much nicer. It looks like a much nicer build overall.

Looking at some posts online, apparently the FT02 has sound dampening.

Funky Papa said:
Notice that Anandtech still has to receive a final 240GB unit. This doesn't sound good at all.

He didn't ask for one, as far as I can tell. edit: nvm he did...waiting on it.

The final 240GB unit should be like the preview. The main reason the 120GB unit suffers is because it has half the number of NAND units, so with big parallel loads, the worst case scenario is achieved giving it half the total throughput.

vexvegaz

IMG_20110406_194235.jpg

my WC parts came in..
EK supreme WB
EK GTX580 WB
Black Tygon 7/16 tubes
swiftech pump with new casing and top
multiport res
several barbs and fittings

still waiting on my 1200w PSU :(, tigerdirect keep sending me that wimpy 850w PSU

TheExodu5

Banned
The most important part of that review:

The bigger question is how does the 120GB Vertex 3 stack up against similar capacity drives from the competition? Unfortunately with only a 300GB Intel SSD 320, a 250GB Intel SSD 510 and a 256GB Crucial m4 on hand it's really tough to tell. I suspect that the drive will still come out on top given that the rest incur a performance penalty as well when going to smaller capacities, but I don't know that the performance drop is proportional across all of the controllers. I hate to say it but you may want to wait a few more weeks for us to get some of these smaller capacity drives in house before making a decision there.

tl;dr : wait

rc213

Smokey said:
http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz227/dbswisha/IMAG0029.jpg/IMG]

[IMG]http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz227/dbswisha/IMAG0076.jpg/IMG]

[IMG]http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz227/dbswisha/IMAG0031.jpg/IMG]

And yes...I will be keeping the wrapping on the window hood style :lol J/K

GTX 580
HDD
SDD
RAM

is all that remains now.[/QUOTE]

Damn that's some sexy gear. I still love my Silver P180 I got dirt cheap a few years ago. My next purchase will probably be a modular psu to replace the Earthwatts 650 I have now.

Should be getting my new gear tomorrow.

Asus ASUS P8H67-M LX
Intel Core i5 Processor i5-2500K 3.3GHz 6MB LGA1155 CPU BOX80623I52500K
Corsair TW3X4G1333C9 XMS3 4GB 2 X 2 GB PC3-10666 1333Mhz Dual Channel 240-pin DDR3 Desktop Memory

Everything will just get carried over from my current pc, I will put my P43/4GB DDR2/Ati HD4830/Q6600 in another case for my niece. Not sure if I need a aftermarket cooler. Suggestions?

Was checking out the Corsair A50, Maybe pair it up with a PWM case fan I have lying around over the 3pin it comes with. I will be doing no overclocking but will be using the HD 3000 GPU built into the i2500k.

Smokey

vexvegaz said:
IMG_20110406_194235.jpg

my WC parts came in..
EK supreme WB
EK GTX580 WB
Black Tygon 7/16 tubes
multiport res

still waiting on my 1200w PSU :(, tigerdirect keep sending me that wimpy 850w PSU

Damn

shit looks fierce. I'll keep my "watercooling" contained to the H70 :p

TheExodu5

Banned
vexvegaz said:
IMG_20110406_194235.jpg

my WC parts came in..
EK supreme WB
EK GTX580 WB
Black Tygon 7/16 tubes
multiport res

Make sure to post some pics when it's set up!

This your first watercooling build?

vexvegaz

TheExodu5 said:
Make sure to post some pics when it's set up!

This your first watercooling build?

will do!

naw, my current opteron is also watered but way outdated and my current pump is on its last breath. although, this is probably my last.

Smokey

Realistically, what type of overclock should I be expecting from the H70? As I mentioned before it was an impulse buy. I originally had the 212+ in my basket, but liked the way the H70 looked (lol) so I went with it.

I know it's not "true" watercooling, but what speeds do you guys think I'll see from the 2600k?

TheExodu5

Banned
Smokey said:
Realistically, what type of overclock should I be expecting from the H70? As I mentioned before it was an impulse buy. I originally had the 212+ in my basket, but liked the way the H70 looked (lol) so I went with it.

I know it's not "true" watercooling, but what speeds do you guys think I'll see from the 2600k?

Should be just as good as the best air cooling. Anywhere from 4.6-5.2GHz, depending on how high you want your voltages. Voltages are what keep me from going higher on my overclock, not temps. I could go higher, but I don't want to risk it for performance gains that I don't actually need currently.

Supposedly legit AMD Bulldozer and Fusion engineering samples:

AMD Bulldozer 1 desktop (socket AM3+ aka AM3b)

yhIM4.jpg
d5WQi.jpg

AMD Fusion desktop quad-core (socket FM1)

TY3jD.jpg
COYLB.jpg

kal1z.jpg
0He7Z.jpg

Assuming these are real, and also not just early samples, but potentially representative of final parts, the AM3 vs AM3+ plot thickens.

BD Fusion should be interesting, however FM2, and Bulldozer 2 really need to switch to LGA.

vexvegaz

Smokey said:

with proper air circulation inside your case and replace the stock fans, you should be able to hit 4.7 - 4.8Ghz :p

vexvegaz said:
with proper air circulation inside your case and replace the stock fans, you should be able to hit 4.7 - 4.8Ghz :p
Could easily be the Corsair H70's biggest problem. To get in the range of performance and sound levels you get from a Noctua NH-D14 or Thermalright Silver Arrow, you need to make an additional investment, making it that much more expensive than the top air coolers than it already is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom