• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

scogoth

Baller said:
Where the hell is the Anandtech Vertex 3 review? I thought they were supposed to publish it last night.

I'm just starved for info on this drive.

Same here. It will be soon hopefully. I've always like OCZ stuff (cept the Fatal1ty PSUs, ugly little things) so probably going with it regardless.

DeathNote said:
Alright, I'm looking at this build:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=15892952

I think everything is compatable/fine but I have a few questions about..

1.This Asus 460 for $119 afer mail in rebate. How good is this particular make.
2. This Corsair 650W PSU for $79.99 after MIB. How SLI and high end card proof is it?

Asus excellent brand. 650 is enough for a 460 SLI or one high end card but it can't hurt to get more unless you're really tight on budget.

So, a little clarification please on the heat pipes of heatsinks.

Does the cold air go from the top of the pipes down to the cpu?

or

Does the heat from the cpu raise to the top of pipes and the fan lows away the hot air?

I'm just trying to get a better understanding how they actually keep the cpu cool.

Stantron

TheExodu5 said:
Both.

Reliability wasn't too bad with the Vertex 2, but their firmware had some hitches. They are still among the best non Intel SSD manufacturers out there, though. Also, OCZ at one point started releasing worse 25nm drives instead of 34nm drives, and didn't tell anyone about it. The Vertex 2 drives equipped with 25nm memory had their speeds reduced in half. This lost OCZ a lot of credibility.

Intel X25-M firmware had issues 2 and a half years ago, but it matured into something extremely stable after a few releases.

Still, the Vertex 3 pre-release review from Anandtech was quite positive. Anand is usually good about finding issues that might arise with SSDs, and the Vertex 3 looked extremely promising. Its performance didn't even decrease after stress testing it (where some drives like the Crucial m4 had their write speeds reduced by 80%). Pretty impressive stuff.
Good to know. I think that if the official review from Anandtech is positive, I'll bite. I'll be sure to periodically back up my stuff on a mass storage drive just to be safe from total drive failure.

vexvegaz

black_vegeta said:
So, a little clarification please on the heat pipes of heatsinks.

Does the cold air go from the top of the pipes down to the cpu?

or

Does the heat from the cpu raise to the top of pipes and the fan lows away the hot air?

I'm just trying to get a better understanding how they actually keep the cpu cool.

heat from the cpu carries over to the top of the pipes.

Coldsnap

scogoth said:
Same here. It will be soon hopefully. I've always like OCZ stuff (cept the Fatal1ty PSUs, ugly little things) so probably going with it regardless.

I'm just waiting to get some clarification on the 120GB drive. The $200 C300 deal on Amazon is kind of hard to pass up, I might just have to pull the trigger on it if the 120GB Vertex 3 isn't a hell of a lot better. It'd be downright irresponsible of me to pay for the 240GB.

Oh, and to change subjects a bit, which cheap 2.1 speaker setup would you guys recommend? I plan on eventually adding a decent soundcard and going 5.1, but for the mean time I'll need a cheap speaker solution to use with the P8P67 Pro's onboard audio. I'm thinking about going with the Logitech Z523 system since it's currently on sale for $49.99. Best bang for the buck?

DeathNote said:
Alright, I'm looking at this build:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=15892952

I think everything is compatable/fine but I have a few questions about..

1.This Asus 460 for $119 afer mail in rebate. How good is this particular make.
2. This Corsair 650W PSU for $79.99 after MIB. How SLI and high end card proof is it?

Do you plan to do any overclocking? I don't think it's worthwhile to get a gtx460 at all at this point, better to keep the $150 and save up a little more and grab something in the $200 -$250 range.

If you don't plan on doing any OC, save $40 on the mobo (h67 instead of p67 chipset) and $30 on the processor (don't get the k version) and go for a $250 GTX560 and you have a more balanced build.

Just my opinion, it's a good list of parts and you can upgrade the graphics card with $200 later and still be in good shape. You are winning regardless.

ithorien

Coldsnap said:
Shit I just paid $175 something for the Asus 460 1 gig, i wonder if i should contact Newegg.

So like stated, it's a different card. But I wanted to quote this just for everyone in this thread-

Newegg will price match only until delivery. If you get the item and price drops, no go.

MysticX

anyone knows how this bad boy performs? in accordance to quality:
FRACTAL DESIGN NEWTON R2 800W MODULAR

and, what would be a reasonable upgrade from a 5770 to an nVidia card?

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Newegg had the 1 GB version of the ASUS GTX 460 for $120 a couple months back. I jumped on the deal and am happy with the card, although their mail-in rebates are a pain in the ass. They claimed they never got my rebate submission and I have to send in a 2nd copy. Luckily I made a copy of the UPC or else they would have that $30 permanently.

Rebates make me feel gross. You have to stay on top of them or else you might get scammed.

Sarcasm

Aruarian Reflection said:
Newegg had the 1 GB version of the ASUS GTX 460 for $120 a couple months back. I jumped on the deal and am happy with the card, although their mail-in rebates are a pain in the ass. They claimed they never got my rebate submission and I have to send in a 2nd copy. Luckily I made a copy of the UPC or else they would have that $30 permanently.

Rebates make me feel gross. You have to stay on top of them or else you might get scammed.

Most manufacturers rebates suck. I don't think its dependant on newegg/tigerdirect due to both mostly having shitty rebates but the part manu (example: Asus, PNY, ETC).

TheExodu5

Banned
In the list of generally approved cards (depending on budget and preference):

$130 - GTX 460 768MB
$170 - 6850
$180 - GTX 460 1GB (not the SE model)
$230 - GTX 560 1GB
$270 - 6950 2GB
$350 - GTX 570
$370 - 6970 (if unwilling to flash 6950)
$500 GTX 580

(approximate prices, give or take $20)

bigace33

TheExodu5 said:
In the list of generally approved cards (depending on budget and preference):

$130 - GTX 460 768MB
$170 - 6850
$180 - GTX 460 1GB (not the SE model)
$230 - GTX 560 1GB
$270 - 6950 2GB
$350 - GTX 570
$370 - 6970 (if unwilling to flash 6950)
$500 GTX 580

(approximate prices, give or take $20)
Exo, why no suggestion of the 5800 series of cards? Haven't they dropped in price and are they not better performers than the 6000 series? I'm asking because I heard the 5870 is a great card.

Didn't he ask for an Nvidia replacement for his 5770?

MysticX said:

Like most of Fractal Design's PSUs that Newton is made by ATNG. They're not exactly a top builder and I can't think of any PSU of theirs that I would buy (though the Fractals seem like some of their better models). Unless you're getting a great deal on it, you may want to look into something else, like a good 650w 80+ Gold unit.

Anyhow, here's a review of a lower-rated FD Newton, if it helps:

Fractal Design Newton R2 650W
http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?ref=Internal&from=&to=en&a=http://www.itrends.dk/31885/

scogoth

bigace33 said:
Exo, why no suggestion of the 5800 series of cards? Haven't they dropped in price and are they not better performers than the 6000 series? I'm asking because I heard the 5870 is a great card.

6900 > 5800 > 6800 > 5700

No the numbers do not make sense.

MysticX

bigace33 said:

I want nVidia Cuda and 3D back :). I do alot of ripping and Cuda helps alot :)

TheExodu5

Banned
bigace33 said:

Yeah they could be there too. They simply occupy an existing price point, and their price can vary wildly, so I didn't include them.

5850 is about 10% better than the 6850, but prices on it can range anywhere from $150-$300 currently. The prices I set above are more or less obtainable at all times.

bigace33

scogoth said:
6900 > 5800 > 6800 > 5700

No the numbers do not make sense.
That's what I thought. So really the price point keeps everyone from suggesting the 5800 series then? I am really close to getting my next card so I'll keep watching this thread. Seems like everyone is in love with the 560 and the 580 though.

Sanic

I'm looking for some input on my performance benchmarks for Just Cause 2. Specifically, I want to know if i'm being CPU limited or if a better graphics card will be needed to get my average framerate at 60+.

Here are the benchmark results: http://i.imgur.com/lm5gt.jpg

My CPU is an Athlon X2 64 Dual Core 6000+ 3.0ghz

TheExodu5

Banned
bigace33 said:
That's what I thought. So really the price point keeps everyone from suggesting the 5800 series then? I am really close to getting my next card so I'll keep watching this thread. Seems like everyone is in love with the 560 and the 580 though.

The 5850 is a good buy if it's <$180
The 5870 is a good buy if it's <$210

Give or take.

The 560 is a fast card, but is a little limited because of its VRAM. Unless the buyer wants to go NVidia, I'd probably say to spend the extra $30 to get the 6950.

The GTX 580 is usually not the best value for the money, but if the buyer wants the best single card available, that's the one. It's an appropriate choice for a high-end build.

Pandoracell said:
I'm looking for some input on my performance benchmarks for Just Cause 2. Specifically, I want to know if i'm being CPU limited or if a better graphics card will be needed to get my average framerate at 60+.

I can't see the image at work, but what's your GPU? That CPU is probably going to be a limiting factor in many games.

edit: looked at it on my phone. GTX 460.

Hard to say...you'll need to run some tests. Try this: lower the resolution as much as you can. Run the benchmark again and post your results.

bigace33

TheExodu5 said:
The 5850 is a good buy if it's <$180
The 5870 is a good buy if it's <$210

Give or take.

The 560 is a fast card, but is a little limited because of its VRAM. Unless the buyer wants to go NVidia, I'd probably say to spend the extra $30 to get the 6950.

The GTX 580 is usually not the best value for the money, but if the buyer wants the best single card available, that's the one. It's an appropriate choice for a high-end build.
Thanks EX5. I am trying to be super thrifty but I know I am going to end up dropping 200+ on one of the cards.

TheExodu5

Banned
bigace33 said:
Thanks EX5. I am trying to be super thrifty but I know I am going to end up dropping 200+ on one of the cards.

If the 5850 hits $150 again, as it has a few times lately, that is an absolute steal. Same with the 5870 under $200.

Sanic

TheExodu5 said:
I can't see the image at work, but what's your GPU? That CPU is probably going to be a limiting factor in many games.

GTX 460 1GB.

I know the cpu is ancient and i'll be upgrading it in a month or so, but i'm curious if I can reach my desired results with a new cpu while still having the 460. during the benchmark I have all settings maxed out with 2x AA, 8x AF, and gpu water turned off.

TheExodu5 said:
GTX 460.

Pandoracell said:

Like TheExodu5 said, your CPU is the issue here, particularly at that resolution. You should be a getting much higher framerate than that with a 460.

TheExodu5

Banned
Pandoracell said:
GTX 460 1GB.

I know the cpu is ancient and i'll be upgrading it in a month or so, but i'm curious if I can reach my desired results with a new cpu while still having the 460.

Try this: lower the resolution as much as you can. Run the benchmark again and post your results.

If the framerate doesn't budge, then you're 100% sure you're bottlenecked by your CPU at the moment.

If you want an idea of how much your framerate might go up, then download GPU-Z, and check your GPU load during the benchmark at your regular settings. It should go up by about the amount of GPU performance that's unused, assuming your next CPU does not bottleneck you.

Is there any reason to go with a 570 instead of a flashed 6950 at 1920x1200? I've had AMD cards lately and I sort of have wanted to try Nvidia but the flashed 6950 saves me like $70.

Thanks.

TheExodu5

Banned
opticalmace said:
Is there any reason to go with a 570 instead of a flashed 6950 at 1920x1200? I've had AMD cards lately and I sort of have wanted to try Nvidia but the flashed 6950 saves me like $70.

Thanks.

Not really, no.

Only if you need NVidia specific features.

·feist· said:
Didn't he ask for an Nvidia replacement for his 5770?

MysticX said:

Like most of Fractal Design's PSUs that Newton is made by ATNG. They're not exactly a top builder and I can't think of any PSU of theirs that I would buy (though the Fractals seem like some of their better models). Unless you're getting a great deal on it, you may want to look into something else, like a good 650w 80+ Gold unit.

Anyhow, here's a review of a lower-rated FD Newton, if it helps:

Fractal Design Newton R2 650W
http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?ref=Internal&from=&to=en&a=http://www.itrends.dk/31885/
5-page review:

Fractal-Design Newton R2 - 800 Watt
http://www.microsofttranslator.com/...ock.com/Fractal-Design_Newton_R2-800_Watt.htm

Newton_R2_800_Watt-025_small.jpg

I just received a new CPU today. After installing it, I found that the PC wouldn't turn on. I checked the motherboard, and eventually realized that the 4 pin CPU power connector wasn't installed correctly. I plugged the connector back into the motherboard, and the computer started as it normally would. Anyway, is it possible that the CPU was damaged when I tried to turn on the computer with the 4 pin connector installed the wrong way?

TheExodu5

Banned
ColonelColon said:
I just received a new CPU today. After installing it, I found that the PC wouldn't turn on. I checked the motherboard, and eventually realized that the 4 pin CPU power connector wasn't installed correctly. I plugged the connector back into the motherboard, and the computer started as it normally would. Anyway, is it possible that the CPU was damaged when I tried to turn on the computer with the 4 pin connector installed the wrong way?

If it boots I'm assuming you're fine. I didn't even know it was possible to plug it in the wrong way...usually each pin has a specific shape so that you can't plug it in the wrong way.

Philthy

My girlfriends PC up and died the other night.. She basically plays all the Sims3 games, and wants to get in on Diablo 3. I really have no time to put any effort into building and supporting everything from scratch, but looking at what Best Buy offers, I can't have her spend $600 on a machine that comes with such a terrible video card that I may as well dig out my 3DFX from the 90s. It's frustrating seeing such shit for sale without having to rip out the PSW for a new video card etc etc..

Anyways, I looked over the $600 build and it looks pretty solid. Before I pull the trigger is this up to date? I would also need to get Windows 7 .. I see the 64bit "OEM Builders copy" is $104 as well, is this what I want? I noticed the non-OEM is $200 which is ridiculous and almost makes it worth buying a Dell and gutting the PSW and video card again.

I hate computers.

Any comments?

Sarcasm

Philthy said:
My girlfriends PC up and died the other night.. She basically plays all the Sims3 games, and wants to get in on Diablo 3. I really have no time to put any effort into building and supporting everything from scratch, but looking at what Best Buy offers, I can't have her spend $600 on a machine that comes with such a terrible video card that I may as well dig out my 3DFX from the 90s. It's frustrating seeing such shit for sale without having to rip out the PSW for a new video card etc etc..

Anyways, I looked over the $600 build and it looks pretty solid. Before I pull the trigger is this up to date? I would also need to get Windows 7 .. I see the 64bit "OEM Builders copy" is $104 as well, is this what I want? I noticed the non-OEM is $200 which is ridiculous and almost makes it worth buying a Dell and gutting the PSW and video card again.

I hate computers.

Any comments?

Does either you or her have an email addy that ends with a .edu?

Philthy said:
Unfortunately, no. :/
As for the build, the $600 is a good place to start and you can tweak it from there. For one, you may want to switch the CPU to a $100 AMD Phenom II X4 840, or a ~$100 Intel Core i3 2100T. Also, stay away from Vista. Try a Win 7 OEM disc.

The hell? Did you originally type "Vista?"

Sanic

I was planning on buying this CPU from the OP, but then I noticed that my motherboard only supports AM2+. AM3 CPUs aren't BC with that socket, right? If not, what CPU is it recommended I purchase in a similar price range?

Leonsito

So I had two HDDs given to me, what software do you use to test them ?

I'm using SeaTools (both are Seagate) right now and passing them all the tests availables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom