• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Is Developing An Equal Number Of PS Vita And PS3 Games

RavenFox said:
You know I was going to say 'hell naw' but I thought about it and said shit that might just work out alright.

O wow, yeah.

That might actually work. Just a quick tap on the screen would suffice. Your thumb isn't that far removed from it anyway.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Spiegel said:
Media Molecule, Bend, Santa Monica, Liverpool and Team Siren are all working on Vita games.

Sucker Punch is not first party and Sony can't force them to make portable games.
It's crazy that Media Molecule's new IP is for Vita.
Sony seem to be putting much more of their resources into Vita than Nintendo are doing for 3DS.
StuBurns said:
And way more PS4 games hopefully.
I expect maintaining Vita will be just as high a priority as the generation shift happens.

Father_Brain said:
Well, Media Molecule is apparently developing an original Vita title, at least...

Oh, I thought it was just another LBP title... I didn't know they were doing an original title. That's really great then and an instant win title for the system.

Krev said:
Naughty Dog is too valuable to PS3, which is what matters right now in America.
I'm sure Sony will try and change that, but it would be too big a risk not to have them developing for consoles right now.
On the other hand, I think it's very likely that all the Japanese A teams will shift to Vita.

From what I'm reading... Sony is saying that both systems are the priority for them right now.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
OldJadedGamer said:
From what I'm reading... Sony is saying that both systems are the priority for them right now.
I believe that, but Naughty Dog make games that appeal to America, consoles appeal much more than handhelds to Americans, and Naughty Dog have since the Playstation developed their flagship console franchises.
It would be a huge risk for them not to be developing a console title. Unless it was just a ND B-team.

Ugh but I don't care about handhelds so now PS3/4 output is somewhat comprised because of a fucking handheld. Sucks :(, but that's how it works.

I hope Sony expands more to compensate then.

Krev said:
I believe that, but Naughty Dog make games that appeal to America, consoles appeal much more than handhelds to Americans, and Naughty Dog have since the Playstation developed their flagship console franchises.
It would be a huge risk for them not to be developing a console title. Unless it was just a ND B-team.

This makes a lot of sense and I didn't consider worldwide appeal of a handheld. I think you're right.

Suzzopher said:
Good to hear, the way they dropped PSP support for over a year, after the PS3 release was shocking.

The PSP came out in December of 2004 then by 2005 E3 they didn't mention a single thing about the PSP in their conference and that's when I felt they weren't serious about it as a platform. Good to see them changing all the PSP mistakes with the Vita.

Johnny

We're going to see a lot of games for the 360/PS3/Vita/Wii U that look very similar to one another. The Vita and Wii U libraries are really going to benefit in the first year or two from 360/PS3 development, with the 3DS being left out.

Johnny said:
We're going to see a lot of games for the 360/PS3/Vita/Wii U that look very similar to one another. The Vita and Wii U libraries are really going to benefit in the first year or two from 360/PS3 development, with the 3DS being left out.

It will be good for developers because there will still be the Vita and WiiU to make games for with their current 360/PS3 engines as they transition to the next gen.

KingDizzi

Banned
Krev said:

ND need to make games for Vita, they are great devs and it's clear they would make something really nice for the system. It's nice that Yoshida admitted that Sony first party moved to PS3 once it released because that's exactly what happened, PSP was forgotton. I'm not too sure about handheld development times but I assume it would take considerably less time to make a handheld game compared to consoles? Really no excuses here, Sony own ND so need to tell them what to do and that is make Vita games as well. The Sony first parties that did not make games for PSP is criminal, I'm still bitter over that. :(

Also who's making LBP Vita? I thought it was MM but since they are making a new game for the system that does not look to be the case. Might be Sony Cambridge making the Vita game which in insane considering they have looked to have beaten MM at their own game, the Vita LBP game looks mint.

near

Gold Member
I hope that Sony really is devoted to fully supporting the system and none of this is just PR crap, cause Vita could turn out to be something quite special.

Spiegel

KingDizzi said:
Also who's making LBP Vita? I thought it was MM but since they are making a new game for the system that does not look to be the case. Might be Sony Cambridge making the Vita game which in insane considering they have looked to have beaten MM at their own game, the Vita LBP game looks mint.

Tarsier Studios (helped with LBP1 and 2) and Double Eleven (founded by two ex-Rockstar Leeds)

http://tarsier.se/
http://www.double11.co.uk/

Wouldn't it be nice if all the major Sony studios took a break from PS3 development at some point and set aside say... 6 months of full-on Vita development to create a bunch of small but really high quality games? I know that would never happen but I would love to see a massive studio like Naughty Dog try their hand at a smaller title. They must be full of cool ideas that are too risky for the blockbuster titles that is expected of them.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Spiegel said:
Tarsier Studios (helped with LBP1 and 2) and Double Eleven (founded by two ex-Rockstar Leeds)

http://tarsier.se/
http://www.double11.co.uk/
Good to see Sony not resting on their laurels and continuing to invest in new studios.

Also, I really want to see Tarsier finish The City of Metronome. That seems like it would be perfect for Vita. It could also get a lot of attention in the PS4 launch window.
Pazuzu9 said:
Wouldn't it be nice if all the major Sony studios took a break from PS3 development at some point and set aside say... 6 months of full-on Vita development to create a bunch of small but really high quality games? I know that would never happen but I would love to see a massive studio like Naughty Dog try their hand at a smaller title. They must be full of cool ideas that are too risky for the blockbuster titles that is expected of them.
That would be really wonderful. If only...

Mr_Brit said:
How are you going to do that when it only has 4GB of space and no clickable analogs?

The analogs are clickable, aren't they? From another forum:

unled1chw.jpg

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
StuBurns said:
Why would it be labelled L3? Surely it's the new L2, or even better the MS' LS.
Yeah, that picture's a little weird. Doesn't Vita only have L and R, not 'L1' and 'R1'?

Elixist

That new LBP isnt from MM? Mind blown. The game looks so dam good graphically and the new control mechanics look really fun as well. Guess the same could be said for Uncharted Vita, but we all knew Bend has skills so not as big of a surprise.

Cwarrior

Nice to know there not planning to abandon psvita like they did to the psp after its first year, to work on ps3 games.

The first 2 years are the most important in a system life so hope they stick around that long with there best teams.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Mr_Brit said:
I thought we still didn't know whether it has 512 or 256mb or RAM?
(Intentionally Redacted) confirmed this, and his accuracy suggests he knows members of the WipEout team.

Sony must have been trying to out whoever the leaker was.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Nirolak said:
(Intentionally Redacted) confirmed this, and his accuracy suggests he knows members of the WipEout team.

Wow, smooth moves from Sony.
So it really is 512 MB afterall?
No wonder it can support cross game chat. I guess there'll be fairly nice multitasking functionality too.
theBishop said:
Eight Days, please.
Just what we need right now: another 'cinematic' shooter.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Perhaps people at E3 didn't think there was L3/R3 because in the games they tried, there was no L3/R3 functionality? The click might be relatively shallow, and difficult to discern without an accompanying reaction from the game.

Dunno though, just putting it out there. It would be nice if Rubenstein could confirm it again post-E3.

Mr_Brit

Banned
gofreak said:
Perhaps people at E3 didn't think there was L3/R3 because in the games they tried, there was no L3/R3 functionality? The click might be relatively shallow, and difficult to discern without an accompanying reaction from the game.

Dunno though, just putting it out there. It would be nice if Rubenstein could confirm it again post-E3.
Why haven't Sony put out a spec sheet yet? This thing is launching in a few months in at least one region so the specs should be locked down by now.

gofreak said:

Having click-sticks sounds like a pretty nice thing. Sony seems to be aiming more at the base console experience games with Vita and only having two shoulder buttons available when both hands are on the control sticks for an FPS sounds rather limiting.

They've mentioned using the rear touch screen for extra shoulder functions before, haven't they? That might make holding the device a little funny, but could give more control options for twin stick gaming.

Chris_C

Krev said:
It's crazy that Media Molecule's new IP is for Vita.
Sony seem to be putting much more of their resources into Vita than Nintendo are doing for 3DS.

I expect maintaining Vita will be just as high a priority as the generation shift happens.

Smart decision though, they seem to be a tremendously creative studio. I still remember seeing the first demonstration of LittleBigPlanet at GDC, I just couldn't believe my eyes.

Somewhat off topic, but I really want a Civ Rev game for Vita :(

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Nirolak said:

So it's finally confirmed to be 512? That's wonderful news.

Edit: but what are the chances of the devkits having double the memory? Unless the confirmation came from sampling the non-dev units.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Jinfash said:
So it's finally confirmed to be 512? That's wonderful news.

Edit: but what are the chances of the devkits having double the memory? Unless the confirmation came from sampling the non-dev units.
While we never got confirmation, supposedly the dev kits do have double the memory, which is where Kotaku's "1 GB of RAM" rumor came from.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
The Sony PSP started losing 3rd party development once Sony shifted development focus to the PS3.

This is good news for future PS Vita owners because it shows confidence in the product.

Top Bottom