• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Is Developing An Equal Number Of PS Vita And PS3 Games

onQ123

Sony has told CVG that the number of titles being created for PlayStation Vita roughly matches PS3's production pipeline - a step change in focus since the PSP days.

Speaking before E3, Sony's head of WorldWide Studios Suhei Yoshida told us that the company's decision to concentrate much more on PS3 software than PSP titles was a "mistake" and hurt the handheld.

However, he asserted that it wasn't an error Sony would be making twice.

"We are doing about the same number of titles [on Vita as on PS3] so that means a lot," he stated. "One of the things we didn't do to well to support PSP was that right after PSP came out we moved on to working on the PS3 launch titles.

"So we shifted too much resource out of PSP so after a couple of years the PSP support when quickly down.

"We tried to back it up a couple of years ago but there was a time where we were not offering enough PSP content. So going forward we do not want to make the same mistake so we always look at the balance that we are doing in support of both PS3 and NGP."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/307548/news/sony-ps-vita-matching-ps3-product-pipeline/

KingDizzi

Banned
24FrameDaVinci said:
I wouldn't mind playing a perfectly ported MW3 + Uncharted 3, thank you very much.

Don't treat the Vita like the retarded brother this time sony, full on first party support from the likes of ND, Santa Monica and PD thank you very much. I'm falling in love with Yoshida, he gets it.

SmokyDave

Sounds promising. Here's hoping there's some quality in that quantity.

Discotheque said:
This is just asking for a 'it only plays ports' joke
I have a feeling that this machine will benefit from ports, not suffer.

Skilletor

Sony is doing way too many things right with the Vita. There has to be a catch. Somewhere.

First day. Take my money.

Edit: Are they really ports if they're released at the same time with similar graphical fidelity? Why wouldn't they just be multiplatform releases?

BillySama001

Neo Member
I wouldn't mind well developed ports, but I would much rather have original content, leveraging the unique hardware of the system.

onQ123 said:
the joke is thinking that just because a game is on another platform it's going to be less enjoyable.

Not at all, I'm sure there were a lot of people asking for a portable that could finally play many console games on the go (without the experience being so inferior)

It looks like the Vita will be doing that. But I'm more interested in their exclusive titles like Gravity and Sound Shapes over Uncharted portable and whatever else is in store.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Not a surprise. Handhelds are where the action is in Japan, so it only makes sense that Sony take the platform much more seriously this time around.

I wonder how this will effect their PS3 output?
Discotheque said:
This is just asking for a 'it only plays ports' joke
I don't see how you'd get that out of Yoshida's comments.
ElFly said:
But are half of the good 1st party developers working on Vita, or just on ps3?
Gravity Daze is developed by Team Siren. I imagine all Sony's Japanese studios will focus on Vita, except maybe Team Ico.

Interfectum said:
Imagine playing Skyrim on Vita.... :drool

I'm sure that there will be open-world games for the Vita, but I suspect that they'd be among the most difficult games to port directly due to Vita's weaker CPU. Not that I'm an expert...

Somnid

Where's the "..because they're the same games" joke? The question is if Vita games will justify their existence on Vita.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Father_Brain said:
I'm sure that there will be open-world games for the Vita, but I suspect that they'd be among the most difficult games to port directly due to Vita's weaker CPU. Not that I'm an expert...
RAM is usually the bottle neck with open world games.

It does only have half the VRAM, but on the other hand, it does have twice the system RAM as well as memory sticks, so it shouldn't be too impossible to overcome.

The question is if there's interest in making them, since we have very, very few open world game developers.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Nirolak said:
RAM is usually the bottle neck with open world games.

It does only have half the VRAM, but on the other hand, it does have twice the system RAM as well as memory sticks, so it shouldn't be too impossible to overcome.

The question is if there's interest in making them, since we have very, very few open world game developers.
I thought we still didn't know whether it has 512 or 256mb or RAM?

Grinchy

Banned
Well, it could be worse. They could have given up on making real games, and put all their efforts toward elaborate mini-games on the Move.

Snaku

Banned
But how many of their "A" teams are working on PSV games? Or are they a bunch of Sony franchises farmed out to lesser devs?

Oppo

Mr_Brit said:
I thought we still didn't know whether it has 512 or 256mb or RAM?

It definitely has more RAM than the PS3... I remember seeing a slide from the Vita presentation.

saichi

Of course they are giving more support to the new platform.. I would be shocked if they are making more PS3 games than PSV ones. It would be like Nintendo saying "We are making more Wii games than 3DS ones!"

onQ123

Mr_Brit said:
How are you going to do that when it only has 4GB of space and no clickable analogs?

the Vita's CPU/GPU is better at decompressing plus it only has to output at 960 x 544 & 2 channel audio so any game that can fit on a 8.5GB Xbox 360 DVD can be made to fit on a 4GB Vita card.

& about the clickable analogs I'm sure Vita has enough control inputs to replace it.

Snaku said:
But how many of their "A" teams are working on PSV games? Or are they a bunch of Sony franchises farmed out to lesser devs?

This is what I'm waiting to hear. They tell me Naughty Dog or Sucker Punch is making a Vita game and I'll listen. Look at how successful first party DS games have been like New Super Mario Brothers once they were handed over to A teams.

Mr_Brit

Banned
onQ123 said:
the Vita's CPU/GPU is better at decompressing plus it only has to output at 960 x 544 & 2 channel audio so any game that can fit on a 8.5GB Xbox 360 DVD can be made to fit on a 4GB Vita card.

& about the clickable analogs I'm sure Vita has enough control inputs to replace it.
Waggle the device like crazy! *sigh*

OldJadedGamer said:
This is what I'm waiting to hear. They tell me Naughty Dog or Sucker Punch is making a Vita game and I'll listen. Look at how successful first party DS games have been like New Super Mario Brothers once they were handed over to A teams.

Well, Media Molecule is apparently developing an original Vita title, at least...

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
OldJadedGamer said:
Naughty Dog is too valuable to PS3, which is what matters right now in America.
I'm sure Sony will try and change that, but it would be too big a risk not to have them developing for consoles right now.
On the other hand, I think it's very likely that all the Japanese A teams will shift to Vita.

Spiegel

OldJadedGamer said:

Media Molecule, Bend, Santa Monica, Liverpool and Team Siren are all working on Vita games.

Sucker Punch is not first party and Sony can't force them to make portable games.

Truthfully all I want more than anything on Vita is Dark Souls or a Dark Souls spin off that I can carry stats over to the main game. I would devote my life to that if I had it.

AwRy108

PortTwo said:
It definitely has more RAM than the PS3... I remember seeing a slide from the Vita presentation.

Any confirmation to this? I feel like there's been no factual info. regarding the Vita's RAM (both video and system), which is actually a pretty important spec., especially regarding faster porting jobs.

Top Bottom