• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Long live PSP RPGs, Which Do You Want in English?

Takao

Banned
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I think my PSP 2000 is about to hit the bucket. The UMD drive doesn't read the discs, the battery is dying quicker, and it's just old and beat up.

Good think I still have my Go, although I do have some UMD-only games. I always wondered why some old PSP games never went to the PS Store, like Lumines, Crisis Core, Popolocris, and Mega Man Powered Up.

Most of it comes down to licensing. For localizations, the contracts with the Japanese publishers, probably didn't include "digital distribution" as a distribution method unless the game was published recently, or you had a very forward thinking studio. Which is why games like Popolocrisis, and Armored Core: Formula Front aren't on the PSN. With games like Lumines, the issue arises with music licensing, as well as publishing duties. That would be a nightmare to handle. Crisis Core may or may not have a licensing issue with the song used in the end credits. As for Powered Up, I'd say there's legal issues regarding the voice acting, resulting from Capcom not wanting to pay people more money. Their official response is that there were "technical issues" with bringing the game to PSN. Unsurprisingly these "technical issues" didn't affect the game from being released on Japanese PSN.

Phoenix_Apollo said:
5. Megaman Legends I&II port
-Why does Capcom have to always drag their feet with this series? I mean, shouldn't they be trying to raise awareness of the upcoming Legends 3, which MIGHT be coming out? Jogging people's minds on this series would be my first priority, were I manager of the brand. If it comes down to an issue of having to re-license some stuff, I just would like Capcom to man up and deal with it. Please.

IIRC Scamcom actually tried to bring this to the US, but were shot down by SCEA. They'd probably have to redub, and translate the game from scratch, as they've made it clear there's legal issues surronding the game's voice acting, and why even the PSone versions won't appear on PSN in the US.

My Top 10

• The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
  • The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky The 3rd
  • Eiyuu Densetsu: Zero no Kiseki
  • Eiyuu Densetsu: Ao no Kiseki
  • Growlanser
  • Growlanser IV: Over Reloaded
  • Genso Suikoden I & II
  • Valkyria Chronicles 3
  • Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X
  • Tales of Rebirth

Thoughts

Trails in the Sky/Kiseki series
I haven't been this enthralled with an RPG series in a long time, and I'm definitely hooked on this. The excellent characterization, the lush and highly detailed world and the rich and intriguing plot lines all add up to one excellent RPG experience. And I'm a sucker for a continuing storyline and world setting. I MUST play the rest of the games in the series, it's the only option.

Growlanser & Growlanser IV: Over Reloaded
Character driven RPGs with beautiful artwork and an addicting party affection system? Yes please. It's a real shame that the two best installments of this series still haven't been brought over into English. With their re-release on PSP, now would be the perfect time to get the English RPG world reacquainted with the Growlanser series.

Genso Suikoden I & II
A compilation of two of the best PSX RPGs ever, from the best RPG series ever IMO that's already been translated into English, and it hasn't been released in North America? WHY KONAMI WHY?

Valkyria Chronicles 3
Sega USA, I don't understand you. >_<

Tales of Phantasia: Narakiri Dungeon X & Tales of Rebirth
If Namco is really interested in giving the Tales series a new start in the US, these would be excellent games to go with. The best versions of two already awesome games. Do it Namco.

Also, here's some...

Honorable Mentions

Tales of Destiny 2
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3
Tales of Eternia
Last Ranker
Breath of Fire III
Final Fantasy Type-0
La Pucelle: Ragnarok
Makai Kingdom
Princess Antiphona’s Hymn Angel’s Score Op. A
Grand Knights History
Tale of the Last Promise
Gloria Union
Blaze Union
Gungnir
Sakura Taisen 1 & 2
Over My Dead Body

I love my PSP now more than ever, and I will be playing these games someday, rather in English or Japanese. But I really hope more companies see that this is the place for quality RPGs right now and there are fans that will support them. I think this quote from Ken Berry of XSEED sums it up nicely.

Ken Berry, Director of Publishing: I guess it all depends on the project. We look for the best content that’s available and right now the PSP is still really hot in Japan. There are still a ton of great games for PSP coming out in Japan. Because of that, if it’s a choice between a great game on PSP versus a mediocre game on a better platform in the U.S., we tend to go for the better quality game and have faith that the gamers will agree and the sales will follow.

There are so many great unlocalized PSP RPGs that narrowing it down to just 10 is hard, but here goes:

• Sora no Kiseki SC
  • Sora no Kiseki the 3rd
  • Zero no Kiseki
  • Ao no Kiseki
  • Black Rock Shooter: The Game
  • Sakura Taisen I and II
  • Valkyria Chronicles III
  • Gungnir
  • Growlanser
  • Half-Minute Hero Second

Kiseki series - I fell in love with Trails in the Sky, and I now consider it one of my favorite games of all time. I not only need to see how the story continues in SC, but want to see how Falcom expands on the intricate world they created. Apparently the games only get better as they go along, so this is definitely one series I will play one way or the other. Being able to play in English would be nice though.

Black Rock Shooter: The Game - Art direction looks interesting, the combat system is a refined version of the acclaimed one in Last Ranker, and Manabu Namiki is composing.

Sakura Taisen - I enjoyed the one entry that did come out in the US, which apparently is the worst in the series, so I'm sure I'd enjoy the original. I love LIPS.

Valkyria Chronicles III - I didn't mind II going to PSP like a lot of people did, but now we pay the price. An entry which strives to correct the missteps of II and generally looks very good, and Sega's too scared of the PSP market to bring it out in the West. I hope the series doesn't end for us like this.

Gungnir - Sting makes great games with creative mechanics, especially in their flagship Dept. Heaven series of which this is a part.

Growlanser - Great character art, interesting story with branching paths: it's too bad Atlus USA hates this series.

Half-Minute Hero Second - Half-Minute Hero is one of the best games on the PSP. A sequel which focuses on the best part of the original, Hero 30, and expands and refines it? Yes, please!

Two RPGs I don't want:

Genso Suikoden I and II - I'm not sure why everyone is chomping at the bit for this. The games are already in English after all. If Konami would only get Suikoden II up on PSN, this compilation would become useless. Now it would be a different story if we could get these relocalized, since the original translations are horrible.

Final Promise Story - Sorry Imageepoch, but there are too many bad impressions for me to stay interested in this one.

Finally, a bonus list of 10 desired PSP non-RPGs, since people are listing them anyway:

• Danganronpa (Murder mysteries, demented teddy bears, and trial by gunfire!)
  • 428 (Chunsoft sound novels are highly-regarded, especially this one. The use of multiple perspectives sounds unique.)
  • Gachitora (A yakuza becomes a high school teacher and solves his students by beating them up - in his mind!)
  • Infinite Loop (The original of Disgaea Infinite. Would like to see those mechanics put to use in a more substantial game.)
  • Steins;Gate (Time travel always gets me. Cool visuals too.)
  • Akiba's Trip (Cheaper than a real-life trip to Akihabara.)
  • Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 3 (By all accounts, an enjoyable yet respectful earthquake simulator.)
  • Dot Defense (PSN-exclusive tower defense title from System Prisma, makers of Cladun)
  • Adventure Bar of Wonderland Portable (Recettear: Tavern Edition.)
  • Pop'n Music Portable 2 (I know, music licensing and all that, but the original was just so much fun.)

Alas, so many titles that will never see the light of day here.

randomkid

Lotta good stuff mentioned here, but the Over My Dead Body remake is the one game I think more people would include if they knew more about it.

Okami-esque artstyle, an awesomely unique premise involving breeding generations of customizable warriors cursed to die early, massive dungeons, visible encounters, Sim City elements, lovely music, it's really like no other game I've ever heard of and I badly want to play it. The only thing I'm not fond of is certain character designs, but the idea of a clan of warriors dying young generation after generation, hoping their descendents have the chance to get revenge on demons from Japanese folklore is just too good of a premise to ignore.

This thread does a much better job of selling the game than me, and here's an apparently fairly extensive developer blog with art and screens.

Zo6rf.jpg

LrWtJ.jpg

gkgzf.jpg

I want this just as much as Grand Knights History and Valkyria 3, which is to say, SO GODDAMN MUCH. Stupid dead-ass PSP, oh how I hate you.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
randomkid said:
Lotta good stuff mentioned here, but the Over My Dead Body remake is the one game I think more people would include if they knew more about it.

Okami-esque artstyle, an awesomely unique premise involving breeding generations of customizable warriors cursed to die early, massive dungeons, visible encounters, Sim City elements, lovely music, it's really like no other game I've ever heard of and I badly want to play it. The only thing I'm not fond of is certain character designs, but the idea of a clan of warriors dying young generation after generation, hoping their descendents have the chance to get revenge on demons from Japanese folklore is just too good of a premise to ignore.

This thread does a much better job of selling the game than me, and here's an apparently fairly extensive developer blog with art and screens.

Zo6rf.jpg

LrWtJ.jpg

gkgzf.jpg

I want this just as much as Grand Knights History and Valkyria 3, which is to say, SO GODDAMN MUCH. Stupid dead-ass PSP, oh how I hate you.

Another great PSP choice :D!

Is it just me or does the character avatar art remind you of Lunar? XD

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I'd personally like to see Image Epoch's PSP games mostly. I think all of their games are pretty interesting - visually speaking, there comes my interest. Starting with Last Ranker of course :p

My short list includes:

Type-0 FF
Last Ranker
Black Rock Shooter
Tales of Rebirth
Fate/Extra (that's coming :D)
Tale of the last Promise

DiscoJer

Far East of Eden - (This got as far as an ESRB rating)
The other two Kiseki games
Grand Knights History
Growlanser IV (I hated 2&3, but this one looks good)
VC3
PS:p2i
Class of Heroes 2 (but no ridiculous price tag like the first)
the latest Eliminage game
That Atlus game set in a school, but isn't Persona

Ravage

Wow Over My Dead Body looks really good, too bad we will never get it :(

I hope FF Type-0, Valkyria Chronicles 3 and Grand Knights History make it over as PSN releases at the very least. I would love to have every PSP JRPG tbh, but that's just wishful thinking.

randomkid

Haha I knew if people learned more about the game they'd like it!

I think there's a decent chance a good number of these other PSP games will get fan translations if they're not localized, but Over My Dead Body is so under the radar it's got no shot at all of being playable in English.

Vamphuntr

I really want Growlanser I and IV. I absolutely love Growlanser II and III and liked what I could play of my import PS2 copy of IV. Growlanser II is probably one of my favorite games of all time (I got every possible endings!) and I would really like to play the first one in english. Fans keep saying the first one is one of the best so I wanna see why.

Not really a RPG but I would like to get a localization for Dangan-Ronpa. I love Phoenix Wright games a lot and I'm dying to get more interesting murder stories (also good to note that we won't be getting AAI :( ). The whole plot of the game has me interested too. It's an elite school where you need to murder students and not get caught to graduate. Seems like a stealthy Battle Royal type of story. There are also shmup sequences during interrogations where you need to shoot the characters to form words. Sadly, I don't think we'll ever see this one.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Vamphuntr said:
Not really a RPG but I would like to get a localization for Dangan-Ronpa.

Isn't that coming from Aksys along with Fate/Stay Night's JRPG? I know the later is coming, but I'm not sure about the other Japanese title that was announced, that sounds like it but I'm not sure.

Vamphuntr

TheSeks said:
Isn't that coming from Aksys along with Fate/Stay Night's JRPG? I know the later is coming, but I'm not sure about the other Japanese title that was announced, that sounds like it but I'm not sure.

Nope the other game is some kind of dating sim :(

• Valkyria Chronicles 3
  • Grand Knights History
  • Blue Roses
I actually don't have many reasons for wanting these games. For Valkyria Chronicles 3, I liked 2 so I'd like to play 3. Meanwhile I enjoyed Odin Sphere so I'd like to try out Grand Knights History. Blue Roses is kind of the odd one out; while I like most of NIS's offerings, I'm mainly interested because it looks interesting from screenshots.

Honourable mention also goes to the Trails in the Sky series (as well as Zero and Ao no Kiseki), but I can just play the Chinese (PC) versions of those so no worries from me.

boingball

• Last Ranker
  • Valkryia Chronicles 3
  • Final Fantasy Type-0
  • Grand Knights History
  • Gungnir
  • Half-Minute Hero II
  • Criminal Girls
  • Black*Rock Shooter
  • La Pucelle: Ragnarok
  • Tales of Rebirth

plus the Trails in the Sky successors, but I think XSeed is already working on them?

Going through the thread, I'm surprised that no one mentioned Rezel Cross. It was developed by SCEJ in 2007, back when original PSP JRPGs were pretty much non-existent. I have the game and really enjoyed it.

distantmantra said:
Going through the thread, I'm surprised that no one mentioned Rezel Cross. It was developed by SCEJ in 2007, back when original PSP JRPGs were pretty much non-existent. I have the game and really enjoyed it.

Never heard of this. What's it like?

Grimmy

Banned
randomkid said:
Haha I knew if people learned more about the game they'd like it!

I think there's a decent chance a good number of these other PSP games will get fan translations if they're not localized, but Over My Dead Body is so under the radar it's got no shot at all of being playable in English.

There's still a sliver of hope though, since smaller companies are able to get SCEJ licenses, as opposed to Valkyria Chronicles 3...

Personally I would LOVE to one day see Linda Cubed Again (fan)translated...I know, keep dreaming :(

Takao

Banned
Jigsaw said:
looks so good ;_;

this is a sony game right?maybe they bring it over (like wkc origins)

SCEA, and SCEE left a metric tonne of SCEJ's PSP output in Japan this generation, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

DiscoJer

Takao said:
SCEA, and SCEE left a metric tonne of SCEJ's PSP output in Japan this generation, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Yeah, Kingdom of Paradise had a sequel in Japan. SCEA published the first one, but not the second...

And it doesn't look like anyone has picked up the PSP version of WKC for NA, even though Sony is publishing it in Europe.

Heck, I don't get why no one is even doing a digital release. Just take the SCEE localization and release it on PSN

Just give me

- Final Fantasy Type-0
- Last Ranker
- Valkyria Chronicles 3
- Grand Knights History
- The Growlanser-Games

and I'd be more then set. Probably won't even have enough time and money in case all these suddenly appear. The rest seems interesting enough, but I'd prefer these, thanks :D

On a (seemingly) unrelated sidenote, if someone would localize Super Robot Taisen Original Generation Saga: Exceed and Super Robot Taisen Lord of the Elemental (both... dnndnnnnn... on the DS), my videogaming life would be complete.

Soulhouf

1. Ore no Shikabane o Koete yuke
2. Last Ranker
3. Devil Summoner
4. Tengai Makyou: The 4th Apocalypse
5. 7th Dragon 2020
6. Tale of the Last Promise
7. Tokyo Mono Harashi
8. Brandish: The Last Revenant
9. Tales of Rebirth
10. Criminal Girls

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Fantastic idea for a thread! I love my PSP and RPGs and I'm pretty upset that the market seems like it has completely dried up, with even Atlus, NISA and Aksys seemingly abandoning it. Lots of great unreleased games for the system, and I feel it's only gonna get worse for American fans of Japanese RPGs from here on out :(

1. 7th Dragon 2020 - I am a massive fan of Kodama, she is responsible for some of my absolute favorite games of all time... this plus near-future setting makes this game a no-brainer.

2. Tengai Makyou: The 4th Apocalypse - huge fan of the original on Saturn, loved the sense of humor, really wish we'd get to play it in English. Tengai Makyo remains the best Japanese-exclusive RPG series.

3. Half-Minute Hero II - The original is one of my favorite PSP games, such an imaginative game that lends itself perfectly to the portable experience.

4. Zero no Kiseki - I love Falcom and oldskool RPGs, hence I want this. Still have to play Trails in the Sky but I'm starting it soon.

5. Sora no Kiseki 2 - See #4

6. Sora no Kiseki 3 - See #4

7. Growlanser - Have been interested in this game for years, ever since reading about the PS1 version. I have the Growlanser Generations boxset, but it would be nice to have the whole series available in English, starting with the first game.

8. Growlanser 4 - See #7

9. FF Type-0 - Looks to be the most interesting FF-branded game in a long while, and I liked Crisis Core. Has the best chance of coming out here.

10. Valkyria Chronicles 3 - The original was one of the most unique games of the generation, I'd love some more.

11. Grand Knights History - 2D sprites!!!

Criminal Girls

Grimmy said:
Personally I would LOVE to one day see Linda Cubed Again (fan)translated...I know, keep dreaming :(

Yeah, you and I both... always been fascinated by the premise of this game.

Reading about all these great RPGs left in Japan is really depressing me, it's shades of the SNES era all over again :( Maybe 10 years from now we'll get a lot of fan translations.

Shouta

distantmantra said:
Pretty straight-forward turn-based JRPG. I heard it was developed by a Chinese group, though. Character designs by the guy who worked on Aquarion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOOrR0F91bs

It's a bit of a shame that the setting and the characters are wasted on a really shoddy effort. I really like how the story is done in the game, at least as far as I've gotten.

Takao

Banned
DiscoJer said:
Yeah, Kingdom of Paradise had a sequel in Japan. SCEA published the first one, but not the second...

And it doesn't look like anyone has picked up the PSP version of WKC for NA, even though Sony is publishing it in Europe.

Heck, I don't get why no one is even doing a digital release. Just take the SCEE localization and release it on PSN

Yeah, SCEA would just have to pay the ESRB ratings fee, and have someone change a logo or something for a PSN WKC:O release...

They did the same with Ape Academy 2, which was translated for EU, but not released in the US. But then again, there's a bunch of Japan only Ape Escape PSP games.

RedSwirl

We all know why this is happening: The PSP has been pretty much dead outside of Japan for years. Even if these great games get released over here, a lot of people would ignore them simply because they are on the PSP - a platform that doesn't suit their lifestyles.

There are some games I'd want to see too, but if any of them were to stand a chance it would be as PSP HD ports.

Top Bottom